So You Wanna Tank On PUP?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So you wanna tank on PUP?
So you wanna tank on PUP?
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 18 19 20
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-01-04 18:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I kinda figured out that Inhibitor wasn't worth it but was worth a shot to mess with it. Didn't realize puppets would try to close Immanence spells though, learned something new!

In general for nuke heavy setups I'll prob just call out PUP near 1000tp if TS is down and they're about to start a SC. Then they can just go when they see the puppet WS. It's an odd problem that I'd never really thought about a ton before though!

May still redo my Taeon DT- stuff for... Pet Def+ or something though (MEva perhaps, though I realize it's likely floored anyway on stuff that really matters). I'm aware none of this is gonna be a huge big deal, but I guess I might as well do it and get slightly worse TP gain and slightly better defense.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2016-01-11 15:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm hardly an expert PUP, but I still enjoy the job immensely. After much expense and many a questioning glance, I have accomplished 4/5 Rao +1 and needed to share!

[+]
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
Server: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2016-01-11 15:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Grats!
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-01-11 15:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Very cutaru!
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-01-11 18:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
I have accomplished 4/5 Rao +1 and needed to share!

Did you end up crafting your own for it? I've considered making a WW mule for that same purpose, considering how cheap Rao is to make from +1'd pieces.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2016-01-11 19:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

No, a very kind crafter helped hook me up. I could never get into it myself.
By Jadey 2016-01-22 19:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

What is your general 1200+ JP Soulsoother/Harlequin attachment setup?
By darthmaull 2016-01-23 21:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone know if Shedu can be tanked by Pup?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-01-23 23:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

darthmaull said: »
Does anyone know if Shedu can be tanked by Pup?

Very easy to tank. It's an afk fight once you are established iirc.
By Jadey 2016-01-25 00:21:50
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what I'm planning to use when I start tanking - any advice on improvements/upgrades? (outside of Rao+1, the Taeon is a placeholder until my WW character actually cranks out some Voodoo)

ItemSet 341504

Notes:

Oberon's is DT5
All Taeon are DT4
Anwig is DT10
Contriver's is a placeholder until I get something better.

Unless my math is wrong this should be 40MDT and 44PDT from gear, and combining Stout Servant and AP3/4 that should cap PDT and put MDT around 73.2 with Shell V. This is what I came up with for attachments using a Soulsoother/Harlequin setup, is this optimal?

Strobe I/II
Armor Plate III/IV
Flashbulb
Optic Fiber
Auto-Repair Kit I/IV
Galvanizer
Heatsink
Mana Jammer III/IV
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-01-25 08:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Jadey said: »
is this optimal?

Yes.

The only thing that might be worth doing is if you are fighting something that uses Dispel alot, swap out Galvanizer for Economizer. Your puppet will burn through it's shitty mp pool pretty quick, and using repair to refill mp all the time sucks. Economizer is great since it consumes the dark maneuver for instant MP rather than forcing you to wait for it to regen. You get to immediately throw back up fire/light.

Unless you are tanking Seiryu, in which there is no point. He will dispel you constantly and be a stupid piece of ***the whole fight.

Edit: It's worth mentioning that a lot of the time, Soulsoother/VE is perfectly fine for tanking, and since the POS actually moves around it's better for most things. SS/HQ has a tendency to cast spells that generate essentially no enmity over using Strove/Flashbulb. I only use SS/HQ against, like, Kirin or Seiryu. And a few of the Reisenjima NMs.
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-01-27 11:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

For pre-1200 jp, what would the best auto setup be for tanking? I'm slowly getting JP up (at 320~) but would like to start to attempt some higher tier content. I'm at -29%DT with both of the unity earrings.

I'm also currently using full VE for physical damage tanking (due to JP), but any combo for help would be appreciated.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-01-27 15:24:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Jiko said: »
For pre-1200 jp, what would the best auto setup be for tanking? I'm slowly getting JP up (at 320~) but would like to start to attempt some higher tier content. I'm at -29%DT with both of the unity earrings.

I'm also currently using full VE for physical damage tanking (due to JP), but any combo for help would be appreciated.

Unity earrings are pdt, not DT. Rimeice from shiva has 1%dt on it, however.

As for actual tankery, VE/VE(AP3+4 since you ought to have 9 earth in this setup) is probably fine for most stuff, but against harder targets you will most likely need SS/HQ for the extra protection of shell/protect V along with regen. That regen is pretty noticeable. The JP honestly doesn't really matter except insofar as it gives you the ability to stack some extra ***, but truthfully preparation for whatever you are targeting is more important.

So the real question is, what do you want to tank? With the exception of like... Kirin and the other Sky Gods, you can probably manage anything up to Escha Ru'ann. Sounds like your overall DT is a bit low though.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-01-27 18:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

As for actual tankery, VE/VE(AP3+4 since you ought to have 9 earth in this setup) is probably fine for most stuff, but against harder targets you will most likely need SS/HQ for the extra protection of shell/protect V along with regen. That regen is pretty noticeable. The JP honestly doesn't really matter except insofar as it gives you the ability to stack some extra ***, but truthfully preparation for whatever you are targeting is more important.

So the real question is, what do you want to tank? With the exception of like... Kirin and the other Sky Gods, you can probably manage anything up to Escha Ru'ann. Sounds like your overall DT is a bit low though.

I knew the unity earrings were -pdt, I was counting them seperately. I'm missing DT on body and legs, hence why it's a bit lower than it should be. Gil+Duskorbs / grove elude me on them.

I've got:
-5 Oberon
-10 anwig
-2 Shepard's chain
-3 Rao hands/feet
-3 SoA ring
-3 Isa belt

As far as what if want to tank, pretty much whatever I'd be able to. Thanks for the reply. :)
By Jonjey 2016-01-31 12:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys, I was just wondering, once you have enough JP to get the additional elemental attachment spots from gifts, is it still best to use soulsoother head with your valoredge body? Do valoredge or harlequinn head offer any perks outside of elemental space? Is there a reason to use those once you have the additional spots or is it still best to get the extra space from soulsoother?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-02-01 09:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Jonjey said: »
Hey guys, I was just wondering, once you have enough JP to get the additional elemental attachment spots from gifts, is it still best to use soulsoother head with your valoredge body? Do valoredge or harlequinn head offer any perks outside of elemental space? Is there a reason to use those once you have the additional spots or is it still best to get the extra space from soulsoother?

Valoredge will give you more accuracy. If you are using Valoredge, presumably you intend to DD also, so it's worthwhile for that. There is no particular reason to use the HQ head.

If your automaton's damage is irrelevant, there is no reason to use the Valoredge head, it does absolutely nothing important when it comes to tanking.
 Shiva.Alcadias
Server: Shiva
user: Equinoxx
By Shiva.Alcadias 2016-02-09 17:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I know i'm going to sound dumb but as I sit here and look at this thread i can't wrap my mind on what ap3+4 is. Maybe i'm just drawing a blank atm but can someone fill me in? lolz
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-02-09 17:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Armor Plate III/IV
 Shiva.Alcadias
user: Equinoxx
By Shiva.Alcadias 2016-02-09 18:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Armor Plate III/IV
yup i'm dumb lol Ty very much
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-02-09 19:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Jadey said: »
Contriver's is a placeholder until I get something better.

I think Contriver's is fine. The regen/refresh is pretty minor, but there's not really anything else that great from a tanking perspective.

I tend to use Karagoz+1 for acc/eva, though honestly I should probably reconsider that since I kinda LIKE reducing puppet accuracy when tanking (and on hard stuff Eva is likely floored anyway so that's not super relevant). I don't really love pet WS mucking up my group's skillchains so nerfing TP gain via not using unnecessary accuracy works for me. Nobody cares if my tank puppet does damage (assuming we're talking tanking NMs, and not something like letting the puppet SCs on Apex mobs).

I have all the other options that affect automaton too. Penetrating, Dispersal (with near max pet TP bonus+480), etc. But none of them really helps tanking in any way.

Honestly, something like Solemnity Cape (DT-4%) or Umbra Cape (PDT -6% daytime/-12% nighttime) is also a fine choice just to help reduce damage to yourself in case you get hit with AoE or an add or something.

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »

I don't tend to use Handler's/+1 because I'm either already PDT capped without it, or even if not have enough that I'm basically never in danger of the puppet dying to physical damage.

Rimeice/Domesticator's for me, extra enmity+5 on each ear doesn't hurt.
 Shiva.Siviard
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2016-02-09 22:34:37
Link | Quote | Reply

All right, so maintenance is 30 minutes away! With that being said, we are getting a major PUPdate tonight, and being as though we're all PUPs here with the exception of a few trolls *cough* Draylo *cough* I figured this thread would be the best place to post the results of all of our cruel and unusual SCIENCE experiments once the servers are back up.

Me and my fellow Minions over on Shiva will be starting our SCIENCE experiments immediately. We will post all our findings here, and we encourage others *whisper* Trulusia *whisper* to do the same!

Remember, SCIENCE is the pathway to true enlightenment.
 Cerberus.Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2016-02-09 22:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

...for SCIENCE!
[+]
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2016-02-09 22:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Jiko said: »

...for SCIENCE!

That meme is epic, but still missing something....."Thug Life" maybe?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-02-09 23:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I think one of the most interesting parts of this update is that it will cause a change in what maneuvers you will want. I recall mathing out that it's possible with Reisenjima gear to get a 5 hit build on a Valoredge puppet that you could essentially full time. The benefit for it now is that attack is going to be significantly more important. You really want those BoG frailty bubbles and super charged Beast Rolls, along with actually using fire maneuvers for their gains. Because you are going to be using Fire, Attuner becomes a usable attachment outside of Overdrive.

I predict that Bone Crusher will still have the best damage potential of all puppet WS, but that will be with Flame Holder. But it could perhaps be worthwhile to designate a "closer" puppet who sits on triple fire until it's time for them to close a light chain.
Daze and Arcuballista will likely be after that, but it's hard to say for certain.

The less considered aspect to this is that /war might be better than /dnc now for DDing on the master. /DNC has been king for the skillchain bonus, but now that we need a lot more attack... Berserk/Warcry could be quite attractive for those double light V.Smites.

And lastly, KKK will return to it's rightful place as king of the Puppetmaster weapons. I am estimating around 130dmg, probably another tier of reduce overload... And that's it. I recall reading something about augments, but I'm not totally sure on those. Also there is still that rumor about Quad. attack being added to AM3 for mythics, but I'm fairly certain it's not the case.

All in all, should be interesting.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-02-09 23:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
Also there is still that rumor about Quad. attack being added to AM3 for mythics, but I'm fairly certain it's not the case.

Just a rumor. You're probably right about another boost to Overload suppression though.
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2016-02-09 23:14:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Tru, I think the "Augments" you had heard about are for the JSE weapons, though I only heard they were doing it for Priwen, Terpander, and Dunna. Maybe they're doing it for all the JSE weapons?
By Jadey 2016-02-09 23:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Changes from Kenkonken 119 to upgraded 119:

DMG +93 -> DMG +103
H2H Skill +242 -> H2H Skill +269
Guarding Skill +242 -> Guarding Skill +269

No other visible changes besides Afterglow.
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2016-02-09 23:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

So it's verified that all of the Oboro JSE weapons are getting augments to upgrade them. Though there was no information on the actual augments they will get. Will have to wait and see. Maybe the Ohtas will suddenly become good once it's augmented?
By darthmaull 2016-02-09 23:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Tru, which gears would give Valoredge a 5 hit build? I'm very interested.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 18 19 20