So You Wanna Tank On PUP?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So you wanna tank on PUP?
So you wanna tank on PUP?
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 18 19 20
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-02-10 00:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
KKK... I am estimating around 130dmg

LOL NOPE!

On the bright side, one can only imagine that the reason for the phenomenally underwhelming DMG increase is that puppets are now really strong (thus the OA2-3x AM on puppet and master would have been overpowered).

So... this probably officially makes gearing for hybrid master+puppet DD a requirement for maximizing DD potential.

That's... kind of a bad thing for PUP on high level content, as the master accuracy concessions you need to make to balance for puppet DD stats will really hurt master TP gain. Even if the damage is more skewed toward the puppet now, you'll still need to be reliable enough at hitting the mob with your fists just to
get AM3 up (EDIT: I guess thinking through this more, you could do an all out master set to get AM3 up, then switch to a more hybrid or even pet-favoring set for a few minutes until you need another 3000tp Pummel).

Master+puppet DD is gonna be utterly beastly on content without super high accuracy requirement though...

KKK changes are a little disappointing, honestly. But also intriguing to see how well the pet performs.
 Shiva.Siviard
Server: Shiva
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2016-02-10 01:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Based on our initial testing, it's looking like the PLD frame is going to be our prime DD frame.

RNG puppet is still good supplemental damage but didn't seem to get much out of the update.
 Asura.Patb
Server: Asura
user: Patbee
By Asura.Patb 2016-02-10 04:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

So looks like Ohtas rank 15 augment is Pet: 70acc/70att and 10% haste
[+]
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2016-02-10 05:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Patb said: »

That's not what I have seen.

What I saw was 70 Accuracy (Master), Pet: 70 Accuracy, Pet: 10% Haste
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-02-10 05:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Just the 10% haste on it means it's the best in slot for DDing on any frame at any time. If it has master and pet acc+70, it's just one of the best weapons for PUP period.

This changes a lot of gearing paradigms. That thing I was saying about using more STP gear on PUP for x-hit builds is FAR more viable now with such an insane amount of haste on the main weapon.
 Asura.Patb
Server: Asura
user: Patbee
By Asura.Patb 2016-02-10 06:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Siviard said: »
Asura.Patb said: »

That's not what I have seen.

What I saw was 70 Accuracy (Master), Pet: 70 Accuracy, Pet: 10% Haste

This is correct, I read the post wrong. Either way, its 70pet acc and 10%haste
 Siren.Obysuca
Server: Siren
user: Obysuca
By Siren.Obysuca 2016-02-10 10:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't seem to find anything yet, but is that 70 acc from plutons? Or the other items? All I can find is that people say theres 3 paths for these, but the npc says nothing and no one's saying what they traded (path A etc). The post from SE makes it sound like theres augments depending on what item you give and I'd rather not throw an item at it and get a junk augment that can't be removed lol
 Shiva.Dawezy
user: Dawezy
By Shiva.Dawezy 2016-02-10 10:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesnt matter which you trade, all paths are the same. Plouton gets the same results as a Riftborn Boulder, etc
[+]
By Hannahmontana 2016-02-10 10:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

what did update do to abiltys?? there description is bit shaky lol
By dustinfoley 2016-02-10 10:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It wont attempt to use the listed abilities if the target is out of range of the pet.
 Siren.Obysuca
Server: Siren
user: Obysuca
By Siren.Obysuca 2016-02-10 10:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Dawezy said: »
Doesnt matter which you trade, all paths are the same. Plouton gets the same results as a Riftborn Boulder, etc

>_> Good, seeing as plutons are 100k and everything else is 30k on Siren lol Still 2 mil for about 50 though :/
By Hannahmontana 2016-02-10 10:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

ohhhh ok i was afriad youd havta be next to it like bst or something lol
By Hannahmontana 2016-02-10 12:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

wonder where this ranks vs things like ru-ann weapon and omega weapon, with if your right no attk on it at all and lower base dmg

cant look past pet acc obvs is godlike
By dustinfoley 2016-02-10 12:41:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Well look at it like this.

KKK gained ~14 dmg (15% increase)
Glanzfaust gained about 18 (15% increase)

Most other mythics gained about 25% dmg sad, but its h2h, and its how its always been treated
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-02-10 16:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

So I went to go see my old friend Belph in Reisenjima after the update. Took me about three minutes to kill him before with Overdrive and no other buffs. No Cor, No Geo.

Took me a minute and 30 seconds today.

#riseofthemachines
[+]
By dustinfoley 2016-02-11 06:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Hannahmontana said: »
wonder where this ranks vs things like ru-ann weapon and omega weapon, with if your right no attk on it at all and lower base dmg

cant look past pet acc obvs is godlike

It will depend on what you are doing but:

For tanking:
Augmented ohats > midnights (-25 atk -3 dt + 45acc + 10 regain +10% haste)

The big draw is the acc/regain/haste, you may lose some atk/dt, but with roa gear you have plenty of DT, but no haste. 10 from weapon, 5 from belt/head is 20% gear haste from 3 slots for your pet. Depending on what other gear you have you can cap pet haste while still wearing rao gear. Also, base damage for a weapon like ohtas isnt a big deal because it is primarily a 'pet only' or 'hybrid' weapon. I dont think you would use it when you are trying for master dd. You could, and the extra acc would be nice, but i think the intent was for a pet only weapon.

As far as master only KKK (am3 up) > U/O > KKK (am3 down) > ohtas unless you need acc, then ohtas comes first since i think someone said it adds 70 acc to master, which is 45 more than any other weapon. (assuming it is master +70 as well as pet).
By Hannahmontana 2016-02-11 06:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply

also overload rate and manuver effects tho.... i rare see any difference with Man effs
By dustinfoley 2016-02-11 07:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Maneuver effects is +2 to a stat. It actually hurts you because then you need a higher stat than the pets to make sure you dont get bad burden. I have yet to find a time when +2 dex/str/agi was make or break, but have found plenty of times where keeping my stats > pet stats for maneuver can be tricky without flooding you inventory with 'pet int maneuver set' 'pet dex maneuver set' etc.

As far as overload rate, if you use a heat sink and cirque body +2 (or kargoz body) + buffon collar + af gloves + dispersal mantle during all maneuvers, you should never overload. Assuming you arent spamming ice ice ice (baby). Midnights are nice in that its an extra 40, but honestly unless you are spaming 3x of the same maneuver it wont matter.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-02-11 14:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

dustinfoley said: »
Maneuver effects is +2 to a stat. It actually hurts you because then you need a higher stat than the pets to make sure you dont get bad burden.

This is EASILY overcome by the overload rate -40, even if you do end up having pet>master for the amount of the relevant attribute.

For me, I still greatly prefer a DT- weapon over Ohtas for tanking purposes if you're using a SC+MB strategy. Extra pet TP generation (from haste, accuracy, DA, whatever) can actually be harmful in screwing up SCs, especially if you're relying on SCHs with JA timers that they really don't want to waste because your idiot puppet breaks the SC.

Now, if you're fighting something a little weaker where maximizing DT isn't too important and you're not worried about precise SCs, it's more reasonable now to try to just use straight up pet DD gear and use a more offense-oriented attachment loadout. You can still tank a LOT of stuff with much less DT- focus thanks to ARK regen and repair - and can always swap into tank gear if you start taking damage.

I was doing Reienjima T1s yesterday in a pet DD set most of the time (prioritizing capped gear haste, and using some attachments I don't usually put on for "tanking" like Turbo Chargers, Acc attachments, Coiler, Inhibitor), with fire/wind/light maneuver cycle. Using several Taeon pieces with Acc+20~25/Haste+5%/DA+5% in that set. For weapon, I personally was using KKK for the OA2-3x AM3 on the puppet, but new Ohtas would have been great for this application too.

Ohtas are also great as either a pet-only weapon (stand back and pretend you're a BST), or a hybrid piece - which is a lot more viable now!

Quote:
As far as overload rate, if you use a heat sink and cirque body +2 (or kargoz body) + buffon collar + af gloves + dispersal mantle during all maneuvers, you should never overload. Assuming you arent spamming ice ice ice (baby). Midnights are nice in that its an extra 40, but honestly unless you are spaming 3x of the same maneuver it wont matter.

Don't waste a slot on heat sink! But yeah, otherwise your point is pretty solid that risk of overload is relatively minor. Especially with increased maneuver duration. Only time it's a possible concern is a freshly summoned puppet (just in the zone, puppet died and re-activated, etc.) - it's even worth watching stuff like fire/light then. In that case, be a little more careful and maybe pop Cooldown while you get maneuvers established.

Square-Enix said:
The issue wherein when an ability enhanced to be area of effect by the job ability Accession was used on an alter ego or fellow would cause the effect to also be granted to ineligible pets.

Just in case anyone didn't notice, accession+pro/shell onto a trust and hitting an automaton no longer works.
By dustinfoley 2016-02-11 14:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have a KKK you generate 1/3 the burden per maneuver (5 vs 15 or ~7 vs 20). In which case a heat sink is never 'needed'. It will however make it 100% impossible to overload.

As long as you arent using ice/ice/ice in an apex party to have your pet burst, you are right, there is no need to ever use a heat sink as you will never overload with just a cirque body +2. I only referenced it as an 'in case you are worried about overloading' type thing. Honestly the -40 from midnights aren't needed either unless (again) you are doing ice/ice/ice.

The difference between 85% dt and 82% dt is pretty small but 45 extra acc can be the difference between floored acc and ~80% hit rate on some of the higher tier nm. Again though, it depends on where you normally sit on acc.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-02-11 18:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

45 extra acc can be the difference between floored acc and ~80% hit rate on some of the higher tier nm. Again though, it depends on where you normally sit on acc.

Extra acc can certainly help your hit rate, but again that wasn't really my point. If I'm in a party using SC+MB strat, I actively dislike my puppet WSing - I'm actually pleased to have floored Acc and minimal pet haste.

Even with stronger puppet DD post-update, PUP WS won't hold a candle to a bunch of powerful BLMs MBing (which is still an extremely strong strategy on lots of high end NMs, and doesn't seem like this month's update did anything to significantly change that and make everything swing to melee). I find myself tanking in the SCH+BLM type setups very frequently, and puppet getting in the way of JA-limited SCH SCs really sucks.

S-E did say they'll look into ways to help this issue in future updates. There's a partial work-around by using Tactical Switch to steal puppet TP as it approaches 1000tp (and can zero that out on yourself with a quick unequip weapon). But that only works so well, as TS timer isn't always ready when you need it... and the puppet has a magical way of getting 1000tp at JUST the moment the SCH is trying to SC... Honestly, S-E just reducing Tactical Switch recast would completely fix the issue.

Obviously none of this is a concern if you're in like, a party full of melees or BSTs using WS/Ready at will. I actually had a fun time last night doing some NMs with my puppet playing totally DD style while a PLD tanked and we used mostly melee DDs, with me being ready to serve as a backup tank in case he went down. I used capped pet haste gear, inhibitors, a more offensive mix of attachments - it was a blast.

Quote:
overload stuff
We're pretty much in agreement that overloading is not a major problem. But that's why I was calling out your critique of Midnights' (and Burana earring & AF gloves) maneuver effect+ being a negative, since I find that concern totally insignificant. I do not care one bit about extra maneuver effect attribute stats on the puppet potentially getting me into a situation where maneuvers generate "bad" burden. Because even if that DOES happen, Overload is simply not an issue - even less so (1) the longer you've been in a zone with an active puppet and are getting up to 5min long maneuvers, or (2) if using KKK or Midnights (the very item in question) with their huge amount of overload reduction.

I've never felt the need to use specific "attribute +" sets for maneuvers to ensure my own attribute is higher than the puppet's, either now or any time in the past going all the way back to ToAU days. It's TRUE that's how the mechanics of maneuvers work, it's just irrelevant because it really doesn't lead to a meaningful threat of overloading. Especially now with even longer maneuvers. I don't even know offhand whether I'm lower than my puppet in any attributes in particular gear sets, because I don't even bother to look since it affects me so little.

FWIW, I usually tank in Ohrmazd that have pet STR/DEX/VIT+15 and pet DT-4% (and sometimes Midnights D), and I use Burana and AF hands in my maneuvers. Never run into any overload issues due to "bad burden". I think once or twice I've done stuff like summon a DEA puppet and get a fluky overload putting up too many quick light maneuvers. But even then - and that's very rare - Cooldown fixes it in an instant.

And I'm not fully aware of the implications of the new attack/pDIF changes and them now affecting puppets, but arguably that's a reason additional attribute+ could be a lot more helpful for automaton WS now than they were a couple days ago. So could make maneuver+ gear a little more potent now. No real reason to avoid it, so I maneuver in all the maneuver+ I can get.
By Jonjey 2016-02-11 20:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening? My puppet keeps running away from the mob and just standing there, for absolutely no reason. I'm not doing anything differently than before and I'm using maneuvers near him but he's just running off, I retrieved him to get him back to the mob and redeployed, he instantly ran away again. Happening over and over again and not just on this mob.
By Jadey 2016-02-11 21:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you using Divinator II?
[+]
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2016-02-11 21:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Jonjey said: »

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening? My puppet keeps running away from the mob and just standing there, for absolutely no reason. I'm not doing anything differently than before and I'm using maneuvers near him but he's just running off, I retrieved him to get him back to the mob and redeployed, he instantly ran away again. Happening over and over again and not just on this mob.

You're probably using a Divinator II instead of a regular Divinator.
[+]
By Jonjey 2016-02-11 21:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, I am, I didn't realize there were two divinators. I fail to see the need for this lmao
 Shiva.Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2016-02-11 22:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Jonjey said: »
Wow, I am, I didn't realize there were two divinators. I fail to see the need for this lmao

Divinator II is for mage puppets and good for RNG puppet too, to keep it from running into AoE range. Keeps your puppet attacking from distance.
[+]
By dustinfoley 2016-02-12 06:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not that +maneuver are bad, i was just saying, they arent really good either. So you arent missing anything by not using them (midnights). More of an 'if anything' type scenario that it would push you into bad burden, which again only matters with 3x ice.

If the + maneuver did something turn 1 fire maneuver into 5 with +4 maneuver, then hell yeah you would be missing out, but currently you get +2 stat which is 100% unnoticeable.

when i do apex on pup, i do SP -> String shredder. With fire/light/thunder up. Pet tanks, holds agro fine, and then closes darkness skill chain, so i want it to be ready to ws as soon as I am ready. Obviouslly different strat than high end boss tanking.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-02-12 09:50:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone noticed that Apex mobs seem to take less damage than other ***?

Based on my calculations, Apex Eruca have around 1200DEF. With Geo frailty, dia 2 and Armor shatterer this number drops to 540. During Overdrive Bonecrushers weren't hitting for more than 14k tops. Cocoon was kept dispelled the entire time, so I know it's not that. Attuner is on so whatever DEF the thing had left, it didn't matter. pdif was capped.

The weird thing is that against many different NMs in the level range of 125-129, Bone Crushers were doing 20k+ on average(With just frailty and maybe someone did Dia) and spiking as high as 30k(Solo against Belph, so not a totally fair number).

I'm gone over the numbers quite a few times and I'm not sure why the damage was so low comparatively. Bone Crusher is a very consistent WS, but it's damage without OD was all over the place. I had around 1350 accuracy iirc, so I know it had nothing to do with that.

Anyone else noticed oddly low damage against Apex mobs?
By dustinfoley 2016-02-12 09:56:32
Link | Quote | Reply

My only question would be if you tried other apex mobs and maybe those were just resistant vs slashing?
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2016-02-12 11:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

when i do apex on pup, i do SP -> String shredder. With fire/light/thunder up. Pet tanks, holds agro fine, and then closes darkness skill chain, so i want it to be ready to ws as soon as I am ready. Obviouslly different strat than high end boss tanking.

This is exactly what I do, and I agree it works REALLY well. Tank + solo SC maker all in one is pretty awesome.

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
I'm gone over the numbers quite a few times and I'm not sure why the damage was so low comparatively. Bone Crusher is a very consistent WS, but it's damage without OD was all over the place. I had around 1350 accuracy iirc, so I know it had nothing to do with that.

Are you SURE you were pDIF capped? Maybe Apex mobs have some additional "ignores normal pDIF" kind of attributes or a higher cap. The new damage formulas seem to really benefit pDIF-capped players for WS - especially noticeable on some 2H WS.

Overdrive up or not could also make a huge difference there, with 20/20 JP giving a ton of attribute. Perhaps the loss of STR (and the resulting attack) accounts for some of the wildly inconsistent results.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 18 19 20