So You Wanna Tank On PUP?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So you wanna tank on PUP?
So you wanna tank on PUP?
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-04 22:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Magic burst setups are much easier to tank. Magic bursts generate significantly less enmity than regular damage, that's why you won't see hate shift much when you are doing that.

Unrelated tidbit, Kirin V2 hits like a goddamn truck. Quite difficult to handle. I'm going to have to look into it a bit more and figure out how to tank this thing. It's literally the only thing I have found that can kill my puppet so far. Haven't tried AV2 yet though.
 Leviathan.Krysten
Server: Leviathan
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-04 22:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
I've mentioned before how incredibly powerful Overdrive is. But you know what is even better? TWO PUPS USING OVERDRIVE. Enjoy.

YouTube Video Placeholder

is this on speed up or they just hitting insanely fast?? if so whats your equip for that? i have both Turbo chargers on and i dont notice anything really.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2015-10-04 22:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

What diff? easy very easy? Can I see a Screen shot or something a video. I Like pup but until I see real proof Its just a solo job to me.
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-04 22:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

def not just a solo job i was in party popping Atonement Bone cruncher and Vic smite 3 step WS like Mad

really good Dmg for chains if you got alot of pet: gear unless its really stupid eva like some unm auto barely misses anything unlike before where barely hit anything even tanks Apex mobs fine only thing took hate away was Sam so far (real tanks not invluded, but DD wise) and not for very long
[+]
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2015-10-04 22:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

k.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-10-04 23:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Krysten said: »

is this on speed up or they just hitting insanely fast?? if so whats your equip for that? i have both Turbo chargers on and i dont notice anything really.

The clock is visible. It's pretty easy to see that it isn't sped up.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-04 23:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
What diff? easy very easy? Can I see a Screen shot or something a video. I Like pup but until I see real proof Its just a solo job to me.

If you pause exactly at the ten second mark of the video you will see that it is on Difficult.

I put a section on Overdrive in the OP. Go back and read the OP, section 4. Both puppets are built using that standard.
 Shiva.Eightball
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2015-10-05 00:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
Enmity has since been modified, so no, what you're saying no longer applies.

i don't mean to derail this thread lol, but after asking around in my LS someone mentioned a change to enmity with the vagary addition so i looked back at it and it did not mention anything about cure enmity, any chance you could direct me to where they changed it?
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-10-05 00:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not so much that cure enmity was changed; rather, it's that it wasn't changed while damage enmity was.
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2015-10-05 08:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, so they are now about equal.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-05 11:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really. Cures aren't affected by ilvl as far as enmity goes, whereas damage is. The higher the content level, the less enmity generated from dealing damage, whereas cures will generate static enmity on anything from 99-119. So basically, the harder the content, the better curing for enmity works. But basically it's use to supplement Provoke, as it's base amount will decay between recasts, but essentially all other forms of VE will just continuously stack.
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-07 01:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

tried it on AA MR N and did pretty well but cloudsplitter Screwd me over big time with repair being down did at the 3% left? ish thats with Moogle Head (pdt) and Earring +1 midnights and VE with Arm plate IV and III (dont have 1200 yet 280 ish?) on im guessing i shoulda did AP IV and Mana jammer IV instead (granted i vitully have no pet haste outside of Turbo)

magic damage taken seems to be my real achilles heel... any tips for helping that?
By nyheen 2015-10-07 01:52:41
Link | Quote | Reply

omg wow. seems that pup got way stronger then before. did they really change that much over time?,
back then i made lot of videos as pup.. but watching these new ones makes my old school fights that i had look like easy cake, some day when i happen to ever get the time again i wanna get back to it,
but iam happy that pups got that strong:). so what it like being a deck out pup now n days? it really that good compare to what it was like when i was using it?.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-07 08:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

tried it on AA MR N and did pretty well but cloudsplitter Screwd me over big time with repair being down did at the 3% left? ish thats with Moogle Head (pdt) and Earring +1 midnights and VE with Arm plate IV and III (dont have 1200 yet 280 ish?) on im guessing i shoulda did AP IV and Mana jammer IV instead (granted i vitully have no pet haste outside of Turbo)

magic damage taken seems to be my real achilles heel... any tips for helping that?

Cloudsplitter is basically the only thing you need to worry about in that fight. There are two ways to handle it. The first question is, are you Overdriving?

If you are, replace Coiler with Galvanizer. I got the idea from watching Beaztmaster solo MR on VD. She seems to need tp to chain Cloudsplitters, which you can deny her by countering the ***out of her. You ought to be able to handle a single Cloudsplitter, but when she chains them into darkness it can get difficult.

The other method is only good if you don't plan to use Overdrive. Use Soulsoother/Harlequin for Shell V. Shell V is a huge source of MDT. Couple that with manajammers and your DT gear and you ought to be able to survive through a darkness chain. So long as you can keep your trusts alive and don't miss putting Utsusemi back up after Havoc Spiral, you'll kill her quick enough.

nyheen said: »
omg wow. seems that pup got way stronger then before. did they really change that much over time?,
back then i made lot of videos as pup.. but watching these new ones makes my old school fights that i had look like easy cake, some day when i happen to ever get the time again i wanna get back to it,
but iam happy that pups got that strong:). so what it like being a deck out pup now n days? it really that good compare to what it was like when i was using it?.

It's like any other job, I think. It's a lot of time/energy spent to get where I am at. I'm not entirely sure it's worthwhile unless you REALLY love PUP. Lots of jobs can do what it can, and better. It's just that PUP can do all of these things other jobs can do. I love the versatility of the job. You can ask the other people in my LS, I really do use almost every faucet of Puppetmaster available to me. It's not a job where there is only one specific way to do things. And it's always been like that, but now the Automaton is stout enough to handle actually doing things.
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-07 16:14:20
Link | Quote | Reply

didnt think about using mage body, also was just using auto and nothing else at the time OD took it down to about half or so ill give it another whirl
 Shiva.Rickis
user: Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2015-10-14 00:35:04
Link | Quote | Reply

For some reason I lost my account and have to start over again. I have never used windower, I have checked the website of windower and still couldn't figure how it works, is there any instructions I could follow?
I could switch attachments without deactivating the puppet? lots of questions to ask... gearing up attachments is already the most painful parts of pup...but i love it :)

BTW, it would be awesome if SQ could launch some customs for the puppet that could make it looks like gundam or ironman...hahah
 Shiva.Dawezy
user: Dawezy
By Shiva.Dawezy 2015-10-14 01:08:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Can onry tinker with attachments with auto deactivated or in MH/city zone where you can't summon them.

Would be strange to be able to change them on the fly actually but it makes sense, changing parts of a engine in a car (like say .. the fan belt?.) with the engine up and running it ... not the smartest thing you could do.
[+]
 Shiva.Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2015-10-14 01:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Dawezy said: »
Can onry tinker with attachments with auto deactivated or in MH/city zone where you can't summon them.

Would be strange to be able to change them on the fly actually but it makes sense, changing parts of a engine in a car (like say .. the fan belt?.) with the engine up and running it ... not the smartest thing you could do.

Thanks Dawezy, yea it make more sense as you said, but i just read somebody on the forum saying that will work, that's why i asked.

This is my first time using add ons, is that i type "/acon saveset setname" to save what i am using on puppet and and "/acon equipset setname" to equip the set i saved on puppet?

Also does it work with marco in game?
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-14 01:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

not this update but last one right when it went live we coudl swap out attachment with it activated i was excited but it was soon gone, obv wasnt an intended effect but that would make things VERY interesting lol.

i love tanking stuff on pup usally blows ppl away lol but MAN ytou gotta keep those manuvers up sometimes i forget haha.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-14 11:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Rickis said: »
Shiva.Dawezy said: »

Thanks Dawezy, yea it make more sense as you said, but i just read somebody on the forum saying that will work, that's why i asked.

This is my first time using add ons, is that i type "/acon saveset setname" to save what i am using on puppet and and "/acon equipset setname" to equip the set i saved on puppet?

Also does it work with marco in game?

//acon saveset "setname" is the command to save.

//acon equipset "setname" is the command to change.

When you try to change while deploy, acon will deactivate your pet and resummon him as soon as he is changed out. Ideally you want to have his HP high enough that Deactivate resets Activate's cool down timer.

And no, macros don't seem to work. I'm guessing that the game doesn't understand them or something.
 Shiva.Dawezy
user: Dawezy
By Shiva.Dawezy 2015-10-14 12:12:40
Link | Quote | Reply

You can swap attachments around easily enough and fast if you know your ideal setups per frame/situation. :D
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-14 12:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You can do it pretty quick, but acon does it in about ~8 seconds. If I am switching frames midfight, I don't want to spend 30 seconds going through attachments and setting them. If you're solo it allows you to focus on doing whatever else you need to do while the machine does the work.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-10-14 12:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I built a capped PDT set last weekend for Seize, so I'm going to start messing with tanking. This topic is a great start! I just have a couple of questions. So Repair potency, is that still applied only on the regen, or is that applied for the initial burst? Are Strobe and Strobe II separate timers?

Kind of an aside, but does anyone have a fully-featured Gearswap for PUP? Mine is based on Bokura's, but I've made changes to properly do pet sets. However, when I'm not engaged, and swap to maneuver gear, GS doesn't trigger a status change on the new maneuver, and I can't figure out why not.
 Shiva.Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2015-10-14 20:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

//acon saveset "setname" is the command to save.

//acon equipset "setname" is the command to change.

When you try to change while deploy, acon will deactivate your pet and resummon him as soon as he is changed out. Ideally you want to have his HP high enough that Deactivate resets Activate's cool down timer.

And no, macros don't seem to work. I'm guessing that the game doesn't understand them or something.

Thanks Tru, I did some search on the net and did some test on the command, it works. And they also work in Macro, type "/console acon command setname" in marco also make it works too.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-14 22:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
I built a capped PDT set last weekend for Seize, so I'm going to start messing with tanking. This topic is a great start! I just have a couple of questions. So Repair potency, is that still applied only on the regen, or is that applied for the initial burst? Are Strobe and Strobe II separate timers?

Kind of an aside, but does anyone have a fully-featured Gearswap for PUP? Mine is based on Bokura's, but I've made changes to properly do pet sets. However, when I'm not engaged, and swap to maneuver gear, GS doesn't trigger a status change on the new maneuver, and I can't figure out why not.

Repair potency is still applied only to the regen portion of Repair. However, any Automaton HP+ items WILL affect the amount that repair recovers immediately. You will recover more HP over time by stacking repair potency over Automaton HP+, as the bonus to Auto repair kits for having more HP is fairly low. Also, strobe just allows the automaton to use provoke, so there is only the one timer.

As to your aside, I find gearswap clunky and difficult to work with when playing PUP. I'm not a master of writing gearswap stuff like Falkirk is, so I couldn't write my own. But if I were to, it would be incredibly complex. I find it easier to just do things manually, personally.
[+]
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-15 01:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

really all you need is 2 strobe (they dont act like 2 vokes they act like a buffer on existing voke) and IV and III Armor plate and IV auto regen and thats really all you need for tanking, obv more stuff help but i never Gear swap unless i just need more ACC on something like apex, its so satifying seeing bst pets die and and ours barly even a scratch lol! sorry bsts

A moogle expansion Head piece with DT -10% one best pieces to get, sadly wish it didnt bring us down to 117 overall.

i did try the //acon stuff but ultimatly i just cant be botherd with it, it did work nice tho. Cant wait till im 1200 to see what auto will be like (just hit 322)

Still id love to see Mana jammers turn into MDT.....
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-15 01:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You can actually hit 77~79% mdt with existing gear. 77% you can do reasonably, anything beyond that would require the seemingly impossible to get DT augment on a Ohrmazd, and it would have to be over 3%(rumor is that it goes up to 5%.) While I'd certainly take MDT, MDB is perfectly fine. Automaton's can laugh off LITERALLY EVERYTHING IN THE GAME EXCEPT FREAKING SEIRYU'S HUNDRED FISTS+BREATH ***. It's seriously worse than Kirin.

Edit: I'm actually not sure if Harlequin has any innate DT, I'm kinda thinking that he doesn't. In that case it would be 71-73%.
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Flyingsquirrel 2015-10-15 03:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The fey weapon Oberon's sainti can get pet: damage taken -5% by the way.

Don't need to kill yourself on skirmish augs if dt is all you're looking for.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-15 08:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

That's interesting. I wasn't aware you could get DT that high on those, I was under the assumption that it capped at 3%. I'll go do some and see how the rate is on them.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-10-15 09:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »

Repair potency is still applied only to the regen portion of Repair. However, any Automaton HP+ items WILL affect the amount that repair recovers immediately. You will recover more HP over time by stacking repair potency over Automaton HP+, as the bonus to Auto repair kits for having more HP is fairly low. Also, strobe just allows the automaton to use provoke, so there is only the one timer.

As to your aside, I find gearswap clunky and difficult to work with when playing PUP. I'm not a master of writing gearswap stuff like Falkirk is, so I couldn't write my own. But if I were to, it would be incredibly complex. I find it easier to just do things manually, personally.

Thanks, you answered my question perfectly.

Yes, Gearswap can be unwieldy. Falkirk's guide is awesome but to me, his GS is a bit... overwritten and complex. I like simple, myself, and all of my Gearswaps are like that. Falkirk's covers just about every situation, however, so it's just a difference of styles.
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20