2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » why arent melee used anymore
why arent melee used anymore
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 12:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Venotaru said: »
Its always an excuse I'll never win the arguement plain an simplest answer I can give you is If you don't like the current way the game is the play something else geez. Instead of battle with the people who are currently taking the steps to participate in end game. If your that lazy you shouldn't play ffxi. I mean come on...

Oh, okay, I gotcha...

[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-24 12:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Don't judge me.

I'm not judging you, I'm saying you seem to have an unclear memory of how many people jumped on the Souleater+Apoc/Kraken/Rid/Rune Chopper zerg machine...

I'm very well aware because I was there. I played since 2004, I ain't a new player by any means. To be honest I only remember everyone jumping on DRK during voidwatch and making Ragnaroks everywhere, only when Resolution was found to be so powerful.

Back in the olden days, most jobs had a place, and of course people abused Souleater+ Blood Weapon on DRK. That was the first time I felt good on DRK. It was a great time.

Back in the early days I spent the majority of my time helping others instead of furthering my DRK. So I didn't make much gil, and my gear was very average. I wasn't in any endgame LS, so I didn't have all the best gear, or a KC, or an Adaman Hauberk, I was stuck with the thick set, optical hat, and anything else I could use. I was so in the dark I didn't even know about stacking haste, I would stack accuracy and go with that.

I only really started gearing my DRK when I got to DL with my dynamis ls a couple of years later. The first time I beat DL (a couple of years earlier), I was still using my Ohat, Thick Gears, and I finished it off with a Ground Strike. I didn't even know how to zerg back then because no one told me how. We had DRKs with kraken clubs, and I felt stupidly gimpy, but I was still allowed to fight Dynamis Lord, and I was just happy to participate.

Not sure why people keep attacking my views .. and nitpicking what I say so much .. it's like they assume I only started playing this game in 2011. I've forgotten so much about this game, give me the benefit of the doubt when I do forget.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-24 12:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't matter if you played back in the days, if you were not part of the endgame scene obviously you didn't notice who was or wasn't bandwagon..
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-07-24 12:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Don't judge me.

I'm not judging you, I'm saying you seem to have an unclear memory of how many people jumped on the Souleater+Apoc/Kraken/Rid/Rune Chopper zerg machine...

I'm very well aware because I was there. I played since 2004, I ain't a new player by any means. To be honest I only remember everyone jumping on DRK during voidwatch and making Ragnaroks everywhere. Back in the olden days, most jobs had a place, and of course people abused Souleater+ Blood Weapon on DRK. That was the first time I felt seriously needed on DRK. It was a great time.

Back in those days I spent the majority of my time helping others instead of furthering my DRK. So I didn't make much gil, and my gear was very average. I wasn't in any endgame LS, so I didn't have all the best gear, or a KC, or an Adaman Hauberk, I was stuck with the thick set, optical hat, and anything else I could use. I was so in the dark I didn't even know about stacking haste, I would stack accuracy and go with that.

I only really started gearing my DRK when I got to DL with my dynamis ls a couple of years later. The first time I beat DL, I was still using my Ohat, Thick Gears, and I finished it off with a Ground Strike. I didn't even know how to zerg back then because no one told me how. We had DRKs with kraken clubs, and I felt stupidly gimpy, but I was still allowed to fight Dynamis Lord.

Not sure why people keep attacking my views .. and nitpicking what I say so much .. it's like they assume I only started playing this game in 2011. I've forgotten so much about this game, give me the benefit of the doubt when I do forget.
The whms in my party/alliance during VW didn't allow me to use Souleater or any of my drk buffs.

But you're also clearly wrong on what people were jumping on: It was still clearly Warrior and Ukon for Ukko's Fury. Easier and faster to make than a Ragnarok. If people were jumping on DRK for VW, it's because they had a clear plan of attack.
By Venotaru 2015-07-24 12:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

That really was something back in the day to watch a bunch of KC Drks go against kirin. Blood weapon ftw!
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-24 12:42:00
Link | Quote | Reply

It was so easy for DD to use the temp items to spam WS and keep themselves alive. So you either spammed Ukko's, or you spammed Reso. Not everyone wanted to farm Glavoid, so they built Rags instead. Corsair was also amazing as they could spam Wildfire/Leaden if they had it, but my point is about 1-handers like WAR DRK and DRG. They have had their moments, but SAM is SE's baby, we all know that.
 Asura.Fiv
Server: Asura
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2015-07-24 12:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe he means after the ukko/restraint/bloodrage nerf when it was indeed everything ragnarok?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-24 12:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Every job has had one or more patches where they were the top of the chain food. I'm not sure what we're arguing about.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 12:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fiv said: »
Maybe he means after the ukko/restraint/bloodrage nerf when it was indeed everything ragnarok?

Still didn't see nearly as many dark knights getting bandwagon as warrior.

I knew dark knights who switched to warrior in that time frame, ffs. Because it was better.
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2015-07-24 12:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Beside maybe vargary; melee setup would work for everything that is currently being done, it's the same as when AA were out most people used rng when dd/nin worked better for most of them.

And with all the recent ban/quit/people waiting for november, a lot of good group are done or lost so many members that's mage+pld is the only way they can or care enough to do now.
 Valefor.Rawry
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Rawry 2015-07-24 12:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

But we all know cor has always been da best since inception till the game shutsdown!
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-24 12:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fiv said: »

Yes, there was that time. I was amazed by how many Ragnaroks I saw spring up on my server in such a short amount of time. And I knew no one really cared for the job, they just wanted the best dps. I can understand that, and that was the last time I saw DRK be leveled just for its usefulness, not because someone liked the job.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 12:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Every job has had one or more patches where they were the top of the chain food. I'm not sure what we're arguing about.

All I'm saying is I want BST's time to end sooner rather than later, rather than drag on for a year like it did when they were hot ***in Dynamis.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-24 12:45:57
Link | Quote | Reply

And nothing beats the rivers of kannagis that flooded the game at some point.
By Venotaru 2015-07-24 12:45:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I totally agree with that.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 12:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, there was that time. I was amazed by how many Ragnaroks I saw spring up on my server in such a short amount of time. And I knew no one really cared for the job, they just wanted the best dps.

For what it's worth, I criticized them, too. And bandwagon samurai to boot.

I'm not big on bandwagon jobs. The thing is, most of the time, you don't need a bandwagon job to do a *** of damage, you just need to be good at your job, and well geared.

When it comes to BST's time in the sun, it's not a matter of "you can do this on other jobs, so it's still okay". With BST, it's their gimmick pet mechanics that make them OP and nothing else can do that.
By Bloodrose 2015-07-24 12:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It was so easy for DD to use the temp items to spam WS and keep themselves alive. So you either spammed Ukko's, or you spammed Reso. Not everyone wanted to farm Glavoid, so they built Rags instead. Corsair was also amazing as they could spam Wildfire/Leaden if they had it, but my point is about 1-handers like WAR DRK and DRG. They have had their moments, but SAM is SE's baby, we all know that.
And you're still wrong on one major point: it wasn't the dark knights building ragnaroks for resolution - that was still the warriors because of Mighty Strikes, and the equipment that enhanced critical hit damage, and mighty strikes duration.

Secondly, you didn't need a Ragnarok to spam Reso and be severely damaging.
By Venotaru 2015-07-24 12:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

End game content can be done with whatever setup if you have the initiative to do so.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-24 12:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
And you're still wrong on one major point: it wasn't the dark knights building ragnaroks for resolution - that was still the warriors because of Mighty Strikes, and the equipment that enhanced critical hit damage, and mighty strikes duration.

Secondly, you didn't need a Ragnarok to spam Reso and be severely damaging.

But many players still built Ragnarok, and DRK was used much more than it was (since the old zerg days). Not everyone wanted to play Warrior. Resolution made WAR and DRK easy to get high DPS on, that's my only point .. and people took advantage of that like they do with BST today.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-24 12:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

No one says drk wasn't played. But warrior was most definetely the got-to job in that era. Alternating Ukko and Reso.
 Cerberus.Avalon
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2015-07-24 12:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's to hoping SE reforges a certain blue sword to ilevel. I'm guessing this would make DD's happy again.

Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-24 12:50:56
Link | Quote | Reply

No one says drk wasn't played. But warrior was most definetely the got-to job in that era. Alternating Ukko and Reso.

Never said it wasn't. All I said was .. the last time DRK was seriously leveled (w/ players building the relic GS for it, and WAR possibly/probably) was during that era. I was able to do great damage and did not have a Ragnarok. In fact, I was annoyed because I was a scythe DRK, and had to use a Great Sword? I've been using GS ever since, and it's not DRKs main weapon. I'm sick of Resolution, and Entropy is not good enough.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 12:51:27
Link | Quote | Reply

But many players still built Ragnarok, and DRK was used much more than it was (since the old zerg days). Not everyone wanted to play Warrior. Resolution made WAR and DRK easy to get high DPS on, that's my only point .. and people took advantage of that like they do with BST today.

And as I just said, I've constantly derided bandwagoners. It's just that when it's BST, there's not as much choice to NOT (or to ride the coattails of someone who doesn't mind bandwagoning), because of it's niche.

Venotaru said: »
End game content can be done with whatever setup if you have the initiative to do so.

Yeah, because this game has always been about doing things in less than the most-efficient fashion. :p
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 12:52:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Avalon said: »
Here's to hoping SE reforges a certain blue sword to ilevel. I'm guessing this would make DD's happy again.

Ugh. Pass.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-24 12:52:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been using GS ever since, and it's not DRKs main weapon.
You're right, it's the best weapon.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-24 12:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

@Ramyrez I have never had a problem with BST, so not sure why its directed at me. I don't mind if players bandwagon BST, but at the same time it can get annoying when pet jobs make melee DD jobs undesirable. That's all I can say on BST, and I've been thinking of gearing it back up to see what all the fuss is all about.
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2015-07-24 12:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Occasionally attacks square root of current ilvl plz.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-24 12:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been using GS ever since, and it's not DRKs main weapon.
You're right, it's the best weapon.

Not always, a long time ago it was Scythe, because GS only had spinning slash which often missed, so you would use Guillotine. I have wanted DRK to use Scythe for years, even more so after Rune Fencer was introduced using Great Swords.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-24 12:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

But we live in the present. So doesn't matter what the past was like, a drk using a scythe now is always going to get those looks..
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-24 13:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Which sucks, because Scythe is A+ skill on DRK, and it's basically a wasted weapon type. They could delete Scythe (except Liberator) from the game, and it would help those DRKs still adamant on using it. I've asked SE about scythe for years in their official forums, but they just don't care, so I gave up asking years ago.

I miss my old scythe days, my profile pic is during the days when I loved playing scythe DRK, and I wasn't strange to play it, I was a good DD (considering my average equipment), and leaders would invite me back to EXP as I didn't drain mages MP. Too many DRKs gave the job a bad name, so it was referred to as LOLdrk for years. I always fought against the stereotype.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7