why arent melee used anymore
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Azriel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2015-07-24 08:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Because the ignorant Koga SAM took 2k dmg while the XXX got away with 1k dmg taken because he used his ohshit macro and actually paid attention to chatlog ~
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-07-24 08:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

As many others have said, melee require too much support to be effective. They are in range and thus they get hit with ridiculously overpowered aoe's along with taking multiple status ailments. The healer then needs to spend time healing / removing those ailments along with the tanks. The important NMs, the ones where damage really matters, also have high enough stats that it takes a full team of support to make it even worthwhile. Mages on the other hand don't' get hit by aoe's, don't suffer from status ailments and are more easily buffed and supported.

THF is the only real "DD" you need, and only because they can apply TH awhile simultaneously opening or closing a powerful SC that can't miss. You then close with Trueflight or Leaden salute, both of which scale with mage buffs, and end up doing silly damage followed by even sillier magic bursts. SA RS -> Leaden or SA Mandalic -> True are just silly when you have Focus, Wizards, Tacticians and Malise. Add in a second GEO and it gets even more ridiculous.

That is why we don't use melee's for DD's on hard important stuff. To get anywhere near that much damage they need tons of dedicated support.
[+]
By Giaden 2015-07-24 09:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

A while back, when they changed the enmity for holding mobs, it changed the game completely.

It used to be a mage could pull hate with one high tier spell or MB and poof dead mage. In the end of a waste of space and dps for the group.

Now with plds ability to hold hate almost effortlessly against high nukes and/or range attacks against the nm and staying alive against crazy high damaging AoE or JA's, it brings a whole new way of fighting. In the end it requires a lot less in support. And that is the main issue people keep bringing up, which is 100% true.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-07-24 09:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
I completely agree with your standpoint, I simply meant a qualification in general so as to put everybody on the same page. If a support is at the bare minimum for content but can contribute well, I have no problem. An issue arises when they refuse to improve upon that gear, in my opinion. I know far too many GEOs, CORs, and BRDs who claim the job to be their main and yet look at you like a deer in headlights if you ask them to do anything other than buff.
I agree with that Oraen, but that's not a problem of GEO or BRD.
It's rather a problem of silly players who refuse to improve themselves at all costs, no matter the job they're playing.
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-07-24 10:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Asura.Cyleena said: »
they like to think that support job people want to be support 24/7. That is not the case.
It's nice to be cor main. Never have the problem of not being invited to stuff like the rest of these plebeians!

*wears crown and sets sail*

Technically we would not invite a cor to our mage strat kills. I mean we might say screw it and bring you anyway but we'd have to make sure the extra hp added to the NM didn't make it obnoxious to kill. I say this because I don't think the damage from cor buffs added on top of focus/malaise/acumen/languor is equal to 1/6th of the mobs hp - which is what another body is adding in escha (and I say that as a cor enthusiast).
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-07-24 10:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Sylph.Oraen said: »
We need to qualify what we mean by "geared".
I already quantified it.
The minimum necessary level to be able to use that job into group content.
It's not the ending goal, it's a starting point, but from there you can start using the job and be useful for the rest of the group.

The amount of effort/time required to reach this level is really small.
For BRD you just need Eminent Flute, Terpander, some 109 AF/Relic/Empy and whatever else you can get or already have (FC, Macc, etc)
It's similar for GEO, recycle what gear you can from other mage jobs (nuke, macc, cpot, FC etc) and get a mixture of 109 AF/Relic/Empy + Dunna, and you can already start being useful in group content.
Even if you don't feel like nuking, you're still gonna be more useful than staying outside of the group because you have "no other job" or coming as a DD who's gonna miss, feed unnecessary TP, die too often and place unwanted stress on the other healers/support.

I wasn't talking like something that you gear to that point and keep it that way. I consider it a starting point from which you'll have to keep improving of course, but can start from there.
It's different from endlessly gathering gear for months before even being able to USE the job, which probably applies to other jobs.
Just not for GEO and BRD, imho.
I agree with GEO and BRD, I decided to lvl GEO on my mule last weekend from 1-99, capped skills, got a Dunna, af, relic and empy reforge half of a pet -dt set (-24%) and it's already been used in Vagary. My mule has WHM GEO and BRD(Terpandar) all endgame geared. Not as good as a real BRD or GEO but thats why it's a mule.
By Bloodrose 2015-07-24 10:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hoshiku said: »
they like to think that support job people want to be support 24/7. That is not the case.
It's nice to be cor main. Never have the problem of not being invited to stuff like the rest of these plebeians!

Technically we would not invite a cor to our mage strat kills. I mean we might say screw it and bring you anyway but we'd have to make sure the extra hp added to the NM didn't make it obnoxious to kill. I say this because I don't think the damage from cor buffs added on top of focus/malaise/acumen/languor is equal to 1/6th of the mobs hp - which is what another body is adding in escha (and I say that as a cor enthusiast).
If all you're looking at is corsair buffs (which can increase each mage's ability to dole out upwards and over 20% of their damage from cor buffs), then you're a lazy and more than likely, stupid corsair. Considering you said nothing about the added damage from a corsair who's geared for the current content, through ranged attacks, quick draw, or through the ridiculous damage that can come from either Leaden Salute, or Wildfire (and sometimes even Last Stand. All of which more than makes up for the 1/6th added HP.
 Asura.Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-07-24 11:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »

If all you're looking at is corsair buffs (which can increase each mage's ability to dole out upwards and over 20% of their damage from cor buffs), then you're a lazy and more than likely, stupid corsair. Considering you said nothing about the added damage from a corsair who's geared for the current content, through ranged attacks, quick draw, or through the ridiculous damage that can come from either Leaden Salute, or Wildfire (and sometimes even Last Stand. All of which more than makes up for the 1/6th added HP.

You're welcome to try and dd but if you *** up my immanence skill chain I am never doing anything with you again, and that includes interfering with the 2nd nuke on a magic burst volley. BTW it takes 1180 racc + precision + torpor to be able to hit a 135 mob in escha. You're not getting precision or torpor because we're using those geos for mage buffs. Your leadens will definitely be epic if the mob doesn't resist dark damage, perhaps 40k dmg if you have mythic. You will be able to do them as often as tacticians roll gives you tp and you will have to pay attention and hold your ws any time a skill chain is happening (which with our setup is fairly frequent). Bringing a job that doesn't mesh with our setup is a gamble because if they're HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE they cost us the run - or at least make it last much longer.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-24 11:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Nonetheless, a cor has no problem finding groups. Which was my point.

Eat me damagedealers!
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-07-24 11:43:50
Link | Quote | Reply

You're welcome to try and dd but if you *** up my immanence skill chain I am never doing anything with you again, and that includes interfering with the 2nd nuke on a magic burst volley. BTW it takes 1180 racc + precision + torpor to be able to hit a 135 mob in escha. You're not getting precision or torpor because we're using those geos for mage buffs. Your leadens will definitely be epic if the mob doesn't resist dark damage, perhaps 40k dmg if you have mythic. You will be able to do them as often as tacticians roll gives you tp and you will have to pay attention and hold your ws any time a skill chain is happening (which with our setup is fairly frequent). Bringing a job that doesn't mesh with our setup is a gamble because if they're HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE they cost us the run - or at least make it last much longer.
Most of which are fair points, but it really isn't hard or costly to break the 1200 RACC barrier with food.

As it stands my corsair's tp set up has around... 1150 ranged acc before any kind of buff or food, without sacrificing TP or ranged attack. Hell, it also isn't that hard to wait until the MB has gone off to fire off a ws. And as stated before, QD is a handy, handy tool to have.

I've also been a sch, so I know the pain of an Immanence Skill chain being *** up. Although I've mostly been on whm in party content for the last while.
 Asura.Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-07-24 11:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, you need 1180 racc with torpor and precision. You need 1400 racc without those two buffs.

edit: Which to move things slightly back on topic is another reason melee aren't wanted for the hard fights in escha. Take the pixie fight for instance. The mob dispels buffs frequently so acc from a brd and cor is useless - in fact the cor buff is especially useless because of the penalty in amount of time it takes to put hunters back up (which can be a long time if melee 1 loses hunters and you lost some other buff since you'll have to cycle through rolls). You're going to have to have a geo stand in range for torpor and precision to be able to hit anything. Totally doable but all of those people in range are soaking up damage. You can prep for that - stoneskin, dt sets etc - but when the mob is constantly spamming aoe damage your healer is eventually going to be out of mp. I don't think it's impossible to kill them with a melee strat but it's exceedingly frustrating to do when other strats are so much simpler.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-24 12:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Which is why I suggested more melee-friendly content. I don't want the entire game to be that way, because using mages/pets/rangers on dangerous NM should exist, but it shouldn't be the vast majority. Why can't SE make content which is melee-friendly, and less skillchain/magic friendly, with sleep resistance. Then you bring your tanks to hold mobs as melee DD wreck waves of mobs.
By Venotaru 2015-07-24 12:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Its funny how people hate on bst. Its comical because at one point it was a hard job to lvl post 75 if you didn't know what you were doing. Every job takes a certain amount of skill to play. This is coming from someone that used to main DRK now its unheard of. So I guess hate hate hate people while the wanted jobs get the positions. This is the part where you just give in and level a job that will get you in endgame. Bickering and going back and forth about which job is better your wasting valuable time. If your that dedicated to the game then you will do what is necessary if not give up and quit. That simple. Now lets see how many hating responses I can get!
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-24 12:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bst hate is most certainly not unheard of. Ages ago people hated their guts ouf beastmasters who solo exped in the same zone cause they reduced the mobs available. And let's not forget bst were authors of epic pk :v
[+]
By Venotaru 2015-07-24 12:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The game is dying. Making it more user friendly at this point doesn't matter to SE.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 12:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bst hate is most certainly not unheard of

I play the job and I hate it.

It cyclically becomes ridiculously useful and when it does it's stupid to NOT play it. But having it involved pretty much means no other jobs get to come to the party. It's not even like when another DD is "best" and you can still come other DDs, they're just a percent or two behind on the parse.

BST has unique aspects that pretty much mean other jobs will be pointless.

I just *** hate playing it as a means to an end, but the end frequently justifies the means, in this case.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 12:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Venotaru said: »
Its comical because at one point it was a hard job to lvl post 75 if you didn't know what you were doing

Nothing was hard to level post-75, period. End of story. You have no grounds to base this upon.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-07-24 12:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Which is why I suggested more melee-friendly content. I don't want the entire game to be that way, because using mages/pets/rangers on dangerous NM should exist, but it shouldn't be the vast majority. Why can't SE make content which is melee-friendly, and less skillchain/magic friendly, with sleep resistance. Then you bring your tanks to hold mobs as melee DD wreck waves of mobs.

Why? Because they don't care, and at this stage are milking you for every dollar possible. That is the sad truth.
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2015-07-24 12:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If i have to choose between playing melee strategies and current strategies, i'd probably lean towards the current way the game is, and i love my melee jobs. The problem is when we get to melee strategies it always starts with 3 melee with support, then goes to 2 melee with more support, then it gets down to 1 koga sam and everyone else is either stunning, buffing him, or curing him, and god forbid you weaponskill, ever, at all. At least the current state of the game, more people get to join in the fun, unless of course your one of those guys who has koga sam and has no other jobs or cant play anything else.
[+]
By Venotaru 2015-07-24 12:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea I used to hate bst myself. But now I've adjusted to the times I use smn whm bst pretty much 100% of the time. But the point is it takes a bigger person to accept it than to fight it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-07-24 12:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Luminohelix > Stone > Leaden Salute = Stupid Damage. Then have the mages burst. It isn't hard to set up and results in fantastic damage. Presumably you have Hailstorm II up anyway, so Darkness is great for bursting them Blizzards.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 12:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Venotaru said: »
But the point is it takes a bigger person to accept it than to fight it.

Not really. I just takes someone who has no pride in their favorite job to claim BST is their thing now since it's on the top of the heap (and then pat themself on the back for it, apparently).
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-24 12:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I love BST, it was the first job I managed to solo dynamis and NM in Abyssea with. BST should always have a place, it's PUP who gets no love whatsoever.

And as for DRK, the only time it seriously shined was during the voidwatch days, and then you had everyone jump on DRK and get a bandwagnarok. Now you rarely see a DRK, if you do they are stood around in town, or using a scythe in casual content.

Sometimes I get on DRK for a job points party, that's the only time I use it in higher content. I "could" make my own parties and go DRK, but I know someone's going to be like .. why are you on DRK when you could go COR and provide rolls as well? Or go as THF and give us treasure hunter? DRK has nothing exclusive aside from absorbs, and they are never required for anything. Same goes for Warrior and Dragoon.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 12:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I love BST, it was the first job I managed to solo dynamis and NM in Abyssea with. BST should always have a place, it's PUP who gets no love whatsoever.

And as for DRK, the only time it seriously shined was during the voidwatch days, and then you had everyone jump on DRK and get a bandwagnarok. Now you rarely see a DRK, if you do they are stood around in town, or using a scythe in casual content.

Spoken like someone who never played pre-Abyssea or Dynamis changes.

There's a reason that the graveyards of cancelled accounts are littered with thousands of Apocs.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-07-24 12:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Spoken like someone who never played pre-Abyssea or Dynamis changes.

There's a reason that the graveyards of cancelled accounts are littered with thousands of Apocs.

I've played since 2004 .. I leveled DRK in six man parties, well before Abyssea, Voidwatch, and Campaign.

Also I was the leader of a successful Dynamis linkshell which cleared all the zones, and we beat Dynamis Lord numerous times, with myself as DRK zerging. Fun days. Yes, melee DD were great back then, but everyone jumped on DRK more during the voidwatch era, because of Reso. That's when everyone really jumped on DRK. Not saying DRK has never, ever been useful at any other time. I wish people wouldn't nitpick what I say so much.

Don't judge me Ramyrez. You don't know anything about me, and neither does Kenrusai.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-07-24 12:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK was pretty bad in full af2, swift belt, and a balmung, to be fair
[+]
 Cerberus.Reiden
user: Reiden
By Cerberus.Reiden 2015-07-24 12:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

who remembers doing flamingos on bst to try to hit 75? I'm still traumatized helping my brother lvl his bst, cant stand that job.
By Venotaru 2015-07-24 12:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Its always an excuse I'll never win the arguement plain an simplest answer I can give you is If you don't like the current way the game is the play something else geez. Instead of battle with the people who are currently taking the steps to participate in end game. If your that lazy you shouldn't play ffxi. I mean come on...
By Ramyrez 2015-07-24 12:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't judge me.

I'm not judging you, I'm saying you seem to have an unclear memory of how many people jumped on the Souleater+Apoc/Kraken/Rid/Rune Chopper zerg machine...
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-07-24 12:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

And even when the metagame is using pet jobs, cor can still get invited!!

Eat me damagedealers!
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7