"One Hit Wonder" Games You Wish Spawned A Series

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » "One hit wonder" games you wish spawned a series
"One hit wonder" games you wish spawned a series
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Sylph.Gobbo
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2015-04-21 11:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-21 11:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Leon Kasai said: »
God Hand.

That video's gonna get the axe, Leon. Bypassing language filterlicious.
 Siren.Bruno
Server: Siren
user: BruHouse
By Siren.Bruno 2015-04-21 13:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Bahamut Lagoon

Love this game :)
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-21 13:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ohh. I remembered one:

CONKERS BAD FUR DAY.
[+]
 Leviathan.Behemothx
Server: Leviathan
user: BehemothZ
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2015-04-21 13:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The Guardian Legend (NES) - Has a prequel but not the same gameplay at all.

The Battle of Olympus (NES)

Crystalis (NES)
[+]
 Sylph.Kyogi
Server: Sylph
user: Kyogi
By Sylph.Kyogi 2015-04-21 13:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Athena (NES)
By baroma 2015-04-21 14:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Altered Beast (Genesis)

[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-04-21 15:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Always felt Altered Beast was one of those games best left in the color of nostalgia; it was really cool when you were a kid due to what it was, but it wasn't the greatest gameplay.
 Asura.Reichleiu
Server: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-04-21 15:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Nimrot said: »
Vagrant story !!

This and Legend of the Dragoon for me.

Both of these games would be amazing with modern visuals and gameplay updates.

To be fair to everyone that wants it though.. Sony will never remake or make another LoD. The original, while being one of my favorite games, is not nearly as good as we all remember it. It has some major flaws that would need to be ironed out. Sony has come out and said that they realize this and don't think that they will be able to catch lightning in a bottle that way again. The fact that the game was as successful as it became was a complete shock to them. It has become one of their untouchables.

It would need a major concept / story overhaul.

But one can dream...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-04-21 15:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

What? No. Altered Beast sucked at the time, too. The Master System version was especially awful, but make no mistake, it was always ***.
[+]
 Shiva.Kingmancat
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-04-21 17:06:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Rockman Legends.

baroma said: »
Altered Beast (Genesis)

Also, just for clarity (since its kind of a pet peeve of mine when the names of things are wrong, particularly when someone insists the wrong way is right), it is not "Legend of the Dragoon". Its "The Legend of Dragoon".
 Quetzalcoatl.Katashuro
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sephyrus
By Quetzalcoatl.Katashuro 2015-04-21 17:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Shiva.Kingmancat
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-04-21 17:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Katashuro said: »

That DEFINITELY doesn't count. Command and Conquer is a huge franchise.
 Quetzalcoatl.Katashuro
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sephyrus
By Quetzalcoatl.Katashuro 2015-04-21 18:01:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Kingmancat said: »

Looks like someone knows his stuff. That's like saying there shouldn't be a sequel to FFXI because the Final Fantasy franchise is huge. lol.
 Shiva.Kingmancat
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-04-21 18:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The topic was single games that weren't part of a franchise that should have spawned one, not entries into a franchise that should have spawned an offshoot.
By Mookies 2015-04-21 18:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Xenogears, like, the main game. There are FF series type games based on the universe but they are not an actual part of the game as far as I'm considered. Xenoblade was okay, Xenosaga was pretty bad.

I think the lore in Xenogears was pretty cool, and I wish they'd remake it into a series with the same sort of button combo system.
 Carbuncle.Riaka
Server: Carbuncle
user: Grimix88
By Carbuncle.Riaka 2015-04-21 19:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really a one off since this was a sequel but "Alice, Return to Madness"

Edit: Also Conkers bad fur day
By Elazar1 2015-04-21 19:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kaitaru said: »
All of these comments, they are a really funny way to spell "Legend of the Dragoon". But in all seriousness, this and Skies of arcadia are games I've played and had the fondest memories of. To this day I can't find something nearly as awesome as Skies of Arcadia, from the music,to the combat both ship and land, the battles, story and the GC version even had some extra content. God I miss games like this...
Asura.Kaitaru said: »
All of these comments, they are a really funny way to spell "Legend of the Dragoon". But in all seriousness, this and Skies of arcadia are games I've played and had the fondest memories of. To this day I can't find something nearly as awesome as Skies of Arcadia, from the music,to the combat both ship and land, the battles, story and the GC version even had some extra content. God I miss games like this...
Yes we don't get RPGs like this anymore, now they just all want to be halo clones hate 1st person hack and slash, I just tried the new ff demo a week or so ago. Play style has killed that franchise for me now.. Skies was awesome. But so was shemu on the dream cast. Sure I spelled it wrong, but insanely good game.
 Seraph.Jacaut
user: Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2015-04-21 20:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember loving this as a kid anyone else?
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2015-04-21 20:26:43
Link | Quote | Reply

hatoful boyfriend

edit: just realized there's a sequel
 Phoenix.Enochroot
Server: Phoenix
user: enoch
By Phoenix.Enochroot 2015-04-21 20:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta second Crystalis for the NES. Thing was a classic.
[+]
By baroma 2015-04-21 20:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

omg i forgot about crystalis! one of my all time faves!
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-04-21 20:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Kingmancat said: »

Looks like someone knows his stuff. That's like saying there shouldn't be a sequel to FFXI because the Final Fantasy franchise is huge. lol.

well technically, zero hour was the sequel, or follow up, to CnC Generals. Tho in ffxi terms it probably felt more like an add on scenario.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-04-21 21:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

That snes game actually had its own massive cannon gun, Long before wii was thought of, that you had to use to play the game with instead of a controller.

tho after looking it up, it actually was a two part game. Battle Clash followed by Metal Combat. Tho iv never seen battle clash before.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-04-21 21:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

This game is still one of my favorite Tactics games and was probably the first one I played. The PS1 version is pretty hard to find now but thankfully there is a vita downloadable version!
[+]
By CapnCrass 2015-04-21 21:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll throw another vote in for Vagrant Story. It wasn't Square's most polished game (that'd be Chrono Trigger), but it was easily their most ambitious. The storytelling was a bit deeper and more mature (as in "intended for adults", not "boobies and swearing") than most other contemporary games, the gameplay was smooth, the mechanics were fairly deep and engaging, and the atmosphere was some of the best I've seen in a game, regardless of platform.

Then again, given how well certain other Square sequels turned out, I'm kinda glad they never made a Vagrant Story 2.

===

I'm a bit surprised to see so many people with fond memories of Skies of Arcadia and (especially) Legend of Dragoon. SoA wasn't a bad title, but it fell squarely in the "forgettable also-ran" category. Legend of Dragoon, on the other hand, bordered on terrible. The combat mechanics weren't bad, but the heavy-handed linearity and the Wal-Mart High Fantasy® brand characters were atrocious. Don't even get me started on Edgy Goth Chick's transformation animation or the eleventy-bazillion stage final boss...
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2015-04-21 21:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Behemothx said: »
The Guardian Legend (NES) - Has a prequel but not the same gameplay at all.

The Battle of Olympus (NES)

Crystalis (NES)
yes, yes, and yes
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2015-04-21 21:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

This was a very hard topic to come up with a favoured example.

I saw this the other day and in the intervening time tried very hard to think of a game title that was of great quality (to me--I have odd tastes) but had never been revisited via sequel/franchise-creation/sequel-in-spirit or even retro-revival...very hard to do, given how easy and popular it is to rehash old properties. CAPCOM, SEGA, Nintendo, et al seem to enjoy this a whole lot, but even other developers like Atari get in on this type of thing. :p

I came to realise the only real ones that had a chance were very obscure "sleeper hit" titles or indie-dev titles that either saw little release or their parent companies went under without ever creating sequels (or whose IP's weren't later acquired.)

The only ones I could think of that were quasi-unique, that I liked a lot were...

CAPCOM's "Cannon Spike" (almost doesn't count given how many CAPCOM charas are in it, but it is a unique game unto itself)

Taito's "Kuri Kinton" (I loved this game so much! Well...I loved it after I figured out how to actually play it LOL...the arcade instructions weren't very good...)

CAPCOM's "Wonder 3" (I really liked this mix of games...I liked "Don't Pull" so much when I was younger! I always wanted to get it on ROM or such...have to go dig it up somewhere...)

Holistic's "Emperor of the Fading Suns" (Such a nice turn-based strategy game based on the PnP RPG, apparently, so it had tonnes of lore and backstory all set...really ambitious grand-galaxy strategy game for its time...) ^^