Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-06-02 00:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
I think it has less impact nowadays.

When Avesta "came out", it was a huge hit because he was doing what other people may have thought about but never had the balls to try. And actually, the game changed around this time, and by the game, I mean its playerbase. People got motivation from it, some of them even before it became public, and the game shifted into what you describe.

But other than Kaeko who took care of BR if I remember correctly, I don't remember anyone else doing something truly impressive. The Cactrot Rapido solo was fun, yeah, but it was highly impractical and it wasn't something players could relate to.

Actually, in the end, Avesta is the only of the three that people could relate to, and managed to emulate "properly" and grow from it. Others were merely benchmarks (except for the Cactrot one, it was just a fun thing) that had a very mild impact in the end except for a select few players.

Not taking away their efforts and achievement, I'm rather interested in those things, but they just forgot the "if I'm going to share something and people are unable to relate, it's not gonna work".

When Iforgotwho (sorry), that French DRK, released info about haste caps and showed 100 Apoc and other fun stuff, even though Apoc wasn't an attainable goal for most of us, we could still relate. We could relate through our Bahamut's Zaghnal, Ridill, Mercurial Kris. It had a huge impact on me and I pooped a zerg ready DRK overnight.

Then, I see this Provenance Watcher solo. It's kinda impressive, I actually respect the guy for what he did, the efforts, the thoughts, all that. But, at the end of the day, it touches my left ball without making the right one move. It has no impact other than "a SCH soloed it". And most of the impressive solos happening nowadays are made of the same cloth.

Simply put, most people will not go out of their way to gear up the job and work on the strat, even if it's just to copy it. People just fail to find it truly interesting.
It's the exact reason why some people gear up RDM75, because that's all they care about and why most people do not do either, because nowadays, most people give no ***about a VD solo when they can squeeze 3 VD groups. Efficiency is also a thing, it's not just about people sucking penises, that's way too narrow minded.

I'm not calling people attention *** or anything but it's wrong to compare what this thread is about and what happened in the past. People do it for kicks, nobody would be so dumb as to hope to be the new Avesta in term of impact.
Papesse has always done those things, he/she's different (he/she's a bit like Avesta, just that people didn't pay attention to him/her in the past).

Just let people enjoy their solo and don't give it a crazy meaning. Soloing/low manning something doesn't make people messiahs or something. This game isn't just about low manning or soloing, players can have even more impact just by playing with people in specific ways. The worth of a player isn't determined by such things either.

Just because you don't know someone doesn't mean they aren't examples, hardcore and haven't pushed the limits further than anyone did before.

Another thing to what made Avesta, and RDM solo in general have such an impact, is because he was performing solos against highly profitable and valuable things.

For instance, wanted a Joyeuse as PLD? You'd have to get together some friends, and have them camp there for hours with you and for you.

Wanted a Vivian Ring? Same deal, and is the same with the other rare/ex items from NMs that are gated with long respawn times.

Then there is the money side of things, you always wanted more gil for whatever reason. Want to make money off NMs in Beadeaux [S]? Get a small team together, and have to split the gil, if the drops ended up dropping. Want to sell of an enhancing sword? Same deal. Etc, etc.

Red mage however, could do so much of it by themselves, and reap the benefits by themselves. I find this too was a big attraction to it. I made so much gil from Beadeaux [s] in the day it was nuts, and the other assorted NMs.

Solos in the current era just aren't the same in that regard, but they do have that solo satisfaction side of it still, which I can relate to.
By Draylo 2015-06-02 00:16:04
Link | Quote | Reply

They actually are the same as far as profits in most cases. One big example I can give is soloing Delve, which that SCH has done w/o any beads.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-06-02 00:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
They actually are the same as far as profits in most cases. One big example I can give is soloing Delve, which that SCH has done w/o any beads.

Ah, fair enough then.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-06-02 00:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
But other than Kaeko who took care of BR if I remember correctly, I don't remember anyone else doing something truly impressive. The Cactrot Rapido solo was fun, yeah, but it was highly impractical and it wasn't something players could relate to.
The one solo that stayed with me all these years was a nin/thf soloing fenrir since thf37 gave evasion boost and dancer wasn't out yet; Cant remember the name though.
I believe it was a Galka, yes. I've seen it, it was pretty impressive actually now that you remind me. I can't remember the name either, I think it was the same guy who organized that crazy 18 MNKs DM video.

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-06-02 00:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The one I saw was on Stage6, gonna try to find it back.

RIP.

He was THF actually.
 Asura.Kenrusai
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kenrusai 2015-06-16 20:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump!

Here are some videos of me solo vs. Seiryu on 75RDM/37NIN.

Apologies for not being able to view from my prospective, and thank you to Deadwing for recording me.

(On an outgoing note, messed up the audio so no audio, I'll upload from Moviemaker in future).

Fight took approximately 37mins from 100% to 0% with slight cut-outs from transition to parts accounted for.

Part One:
YouTube Video Placeholder

Part Two:

Part Three:

Part Four:
By Voren 2015-06-16 21:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my type of thinking. I missed 75cap by about a yearish. I regret not being there and now considering subbing just for it, but will be out of luck come march 2016.

Try the final boss from ACP, he can be tricky even at 99.
By Draylo 2015-06-16 21:01:51
Link | Quote | Reply

He is kiting that for 30m+ keeping up stoneskin/shadow and DoTs while tossing resisted nukes. What is fun about that? What about this content is appealing to you for "your type of thinking" from that video?

Post deleted by User.
By Draylo 2015-06-16 21:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can solo Shiva on Very Difficult on your first try, I will give you a Tartarus Mail.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-06-16 21:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, some additional notes in regards to those videos:

None of my equipment is augmented via synergy, so no powerful abjurations augments, and I don't use any out-of era equipment, such as Abyssea Dark Rings/Black Earrings, and the refresh legs, in addition to the 75 unity drops. Absolute Virute drops are a small exception, while they were extremely scarce, they did exist, at heinous prices I suppose.

Merit setup is as follows, and reflect Lv.75 cap:

0 in HP and MP. (due to HP/MP adjustment, I didn't bother here.)
Sword and Dagger 8/8, 4/8 Club, 4/8 Marksmanship.
8/8 Enfeeb, 4/8 Dark, 4/8 Enhancing.
Enmity+ 5/5, Spell Interruption Rate Down 5/5.
5/5 Convert Recast.
5/5 Earth Magic Accuracy.
5/5 Slow II
5/5 Bio III

I have and use more or less everything in the item sets on my profile.

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-06-16 21:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Josiahfk said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Ah, some additional notes in regards to those videos:

None of my equipment is augmented via synergy, so no powerful abjurations augments, and I don't use any out-of era equipment, such as Abyssea Dark Rings/Black Earrings, and the refresh legs, in addition to the 75 unity drops. Absolute Virute drops are a small exception, while they were extremely scarce, they did exist, at heinous prices I suppose.

Merit setup is as follows, and reflect Lv.75 cap:

0 in HP and MP. (due to HP/MP adjustment, I didn't bother here.)
Sword and Dagger 8/8, 4/8 Club, 4/8 Marksmanship.
8/8 Enfeeb, 4/8 Dark, 4/8 Enhancing.
Enmity+ 5/5, Spell Interruption Rate Down 5/5.
5/5 Convert Recast.
5/5 Earth Magic Accuracy.
5/5 Slow II
5/5 Bio III

I have and use more or less everything in the item sets on my profile.
Do you guys use signet? I'd imagine the powerful kupopowers would be annoying as hell lol

nope
 Sylph.Dravidian
Server: Sylph
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2015-06-17 12:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

He is kiting that for 30m+ keeping up stoneskin/shadow and DoTs while tossing resisted nukes. What is fun about that? What about this content is appealing to you for "your type of thinking" from that video?

I agree, how dare people be entertained by something you aren't.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-06-17 16:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can solo Shiva on Very Difficult on your first try, I will give you a Tartarus Mail.

If I use tools and utterly ridiculous movements hacks, much like the SCH you're particularly fond of, do I still get that Tartarus Mail?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-06-24 19:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

bump!

Got some videos in the work, but a few things we've done recently:

King Behemoth duo, 75RDM/NIN x2.
Fafnir duo, 75RDM/NIN x2.
Nidhogg duo, 75RDM/NIN x2.
Aspidonchelone duo, 75RDM/NIN x2.
Sandworm Serket duo, 75RDM/NIN x2.
Lambton Worm duo, 75RDM/NIN x2.
Cerberus wipe*@16%, duo, RDM/NIN x2

*Only reason this was a wipe was due to running out of remedies.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-06-24 19:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Josiahfk said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Cerberus wipe*@16%, duo, RDM/NIN x2

*Only reason this was a wipe was due to running out of remedies.
With our current day plethora of spaces for items and you both play rdm exclusively and are focused on being so well prepared?
Impressive lol

This was mostly down to us, me in particular, underestimating how many remedies we'd actually need. That, and, they're kinda expensive, and we don't care that much to make money at this point other than for meds and misc things, so generally speaking we're pretty low on gil.

As you can imagine, a Cerberus duo would drag out for quite some time, rest assured there were dozens of Ululation's.

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2015-06-24 19:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Good to know, for login points though, been using them on Up in Arms BCNM. The Oxblood from it are a fair bit of gil, but I mean, remedies isn't the only thing we buy, so, yeah.

Anyway, not really fussed about the Cerberus wipe, since it doesn't have a time limit attached to the battle, and GoH is laughable against RDMs with a strong fire resist set, that battle is simply a matter of spending enough hours until you win. That and, having a million remedies too, I guess.
 Asura.Ivlilla
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2015-06-25 00:08:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe someone can answer this off the top of their head. If I level sync to 75 with a mythic weapon, will it 'degrade' to its 75 version?

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Bruno
Server: Siren
user: BruHouse
By Siren.Bruno 2015-06-25 00:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ivlilla said: »
Maybe someone can answer this off the top of their head. If I level sync to 75 with a mythic weapon, will it 'degrade' to its 75 version?

I know Gjallarhorn doesn't give "All Songs+" at all under sync, so I would assume it doesn't work the same for mythics. Would be nice if they fixed this for RMEs and possibly appropriate reforged Relic/AF to give their former stats under sync =/
 Asura.Kenrusai
By Asura.Kenrusai 2015-06-25 15:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lv.99 Amano under sync gave me the weaponskill and aftermath, didn't check long enough to see if the bonus dmg was still there, or the additional effect. Gave me four accuracy though, and lower base dmg than a Lv.75 Amano.

Friend tried his Aegis, was in bad shape across the board. Less defense, no shield bash bonus, less MDT, less blockrate.

I actually dropped my 99anni and had a GM recover it as the lv75 version, since I don't play current content. Naturally isn't advisable to someone not in a similar position.
 Bahamut.Aramachus
Server: Bahamut
user: Aramachus
By Bahamut.Aramachus 2015-06-25 16:05:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Impressive stuff here. Love the 75 solos. btw did I read correctly is there really someone just writing in a 75 content thread just to bash people playing at 75? haha fun.

other than that, for me kaeko was the guy who got me excited about that kind of stuff. avesta was awesome and he impressed me but kaekos description of how to solo limbus on blm made me spend hours reading it up and trying it myself, really having much fun. and his solo of a salvage area is to me still the most impressive solo accomplishment ever done. personal opinion.

I started new in ffxi when I came back a month ago and taking it slow with levelling and missions now, but I plan on leaving blm and maybe rdm at 75 to do exactly that kind of stuff here. once my blm is at 75 and I got promathia done (which will take quite a while) the first thing Ill do is solo apollyon NW to see if I still got it, haha
 Bahamut.Aramachus
Server: Bahamut
user: Aramachus
By Bahamut.Aramachus 2015-06-25 16:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

All SE would need to do was introduce a voluntary 75 cap on content that was designed for 75 and give unique rewards for that. That would introduce a 75 scene into the game and instantly revive the 75 content which is more than dead now - because progress-wise useless - and covers most of the game. Just need to make sure real 75 gear is better than 99+ stuff synced down.
I dont think it would be lots of effort of SE, I dont get why they dont do it