March Version Update
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-03-25 07:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Boy this post will earn me a lot of love.

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
Man, if only FFXI let you level and gear multiple jobs and change between them more or less on demand.

And ultimately this is where the game went wrong. On paper it sounds absolutely wonderful, but in practice it became an excuse for the devs to ignore the need for anything resembling job balance. After all, if your favorite job is considered absolute worthless crap, it's not like your whole character is ruined! Just admit that your idea of fun is wrong and learn to love something else! Yay!

Anyway, it's typical modern Square-Enix... great idea... cool designs... piss poor execution...
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-03-25 08:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

If you really like a job, get good at it and people will let you come on said job.
It also doesn't hurt to have another job levelled just in case. And who knows, you might like it too. All jobs are fun if you know what you're doing.
Sometimes this whole job argument seems like people complaining because they don't get invited on their sparks drg/pup/bst.etc.., and they don't want to work at gearing/learning it, or any other job for that matter.
I feel bad for the people who really know their jobs and don't get invited. But in a linkshell environment, they should be just fine.
By dustinfoley 2015-03-25 08:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »

Man, if only FFXI let you level and gear multiple jobs and change between them more or less on demand.

And ultimately this is where the game went wrong. On paper it sounds absolutely wonderful, but in practice it became an excuse for the devs to ignore the need for anything resembling job balance. After all, if your favorite job is considered absolute worthless crap, it's not like your whole character is ruined! Just admit that your idea of fun is wrong and learn to love something else! Yay!

Anyway, it's typical modern Square-Enix... great idea... cool designs... piss poor execution...

Agree with you 100%. It doesnt matter how much the buff pup (my main, mythic, 200+ jp, bis gear for every piece), I have to go geo/blm/blu if i want to do yorcia. Never mind that my blm pet can 1 shot any elemental and has infinite mp.

They made jobs like bst/pup to be solo jobs and to them never considered people actually using them in parties. The mind set of 'we made that to solo, why would you party with it?' always bugged me.

Granted I can go mnk thanks to mnk and pup sharing 99% of gear, it just bugs me that a job that does less dmg gets more invites due to stigma.

If you couldn't change jobs, ff11 would have failed 8 years ago with how unbalanced the game is. People would mass quit when the job they leveled to 75 couldnt be used on anything and they had to start all over.
 Asura.Loire
Server: Asura
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2015-03-25 08:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue is the idea that there even was supposed to be job balance in the first place. Reaching into the bag that SE has pulled ideas from in the past they have never really had that optimization in any of their offline FF games and as a whole there were always line ups of characters or jobs that you would take for the harder fights in those games. Sure there might be something one character did uniquely in one fight or another that was opie opie but as a whole those games were never balanced.

I'd say modern SE has done a much better job of balance in their MMOs overall within their means. 22 jobs all well rounded for all content just isn't likely to ever happen in this games lifespan. The community will dictate how or what jobs will be used for content so nothing stops yourself to go against the norm in an environment that you can control as a party/alliance or ls leader. For most that is the biggest fault, unable to lead others to their ideas and just complain instead that their bst doesn't get any party play.
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Asura.Taidis 2015-03-25 09:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to make an MMO with balance, you create 1 job for each type, tank, DD, support, healer, offensive mage.

So what have SE done? They've created a diverse game with many different jobs based on the pre-existing lore of the Final Fantasy series.

As Loire has said, SE have done a very good job at keeping the game fairly balanced despite having 22 jobs, no job is worthless, they could all be used if need be there are just optimal set-ups. Many people who partake in these optimal jobs, may well have another job that is their favourite but they have several jobs geared to be diverse.
By lhova 2015-03-25 09:09:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Taidis said: »
If you want to make an MMO with balance, you create 1 job for each type, tank, DD, support, healer, offensive mage.

So what have SE done? They've created a diverse game with many different jobs based on the pre-existing lore of the Final Fantasy series.

As Loire has said, SE have done a very good job at keeping the game fairly balanced despite having 22 jobs, no job is worthless, they could all be used if need be there are just optimal set-ups. Many people who partake in these optimal jobs, may well have another job that is their favourite but they have several jobs geared to be diverse.

Beastmaster, worthless to anyone besides the beast lol.
 Asura.Loire
By Asura.Loire 2015-03-25 09:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

lhova said: »

Beastmaster, worthless to anyone besides the beast lol.
Yet despite that in dynamis, reive, and other solo content they did fine before the addition of trusts. Albeit they are not suffering in that regard with trusts added either. Thankfully as well the gear requirement for bst to perform well in those areas aren't too strict either.
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-03-25 09:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
If you really like a job, get good at it and people will let you come on said job.
It also doesn't hurt to have another job levelled just in case. And who knows, you might like it too. All jobs are fun if you know what you're doing.
Sometimes this whole job argument seems like people complaining because they don't get invited on their sparks drg/pup/bst.etc.., and they don't want to work at gearing/learning it, or any other job for that matter.
I feel bad for the people who really know their jobs and don't get invited. But in a linkshell environment, they should be just fine.

My favorite job is RNG and I have one of the best geared RNG on the server. It's not just a matter of bringing a poorly geared job to stuff, there are several events where RNG simply is not needed. Yes you could bring RNG to x event and still clear it but why should other players have to adapt for you when they could use the dominant strategy and get a faster win? I don't expect XI to change, and I'm fine with that. I love playing with my friends and I don't really care what job I'm on to do that. I do object to being told that I can play any job I want as long as I'm good at it because that's really not true.
[+]
By tenakilo 2015-03-25 09:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hoshiku said: »
Asura.Fiv said: »
Asura.Loire said: »

I also am missing the point. Could you please explain it a bit more clearly?
Your attitude is exactly what is wrong with this game.

Whatever, your entire linkshell is full of jerks.
Your attitude is worse than nutella on chicken.

Fixed that for you <3
you're doesn't exist in fiv's vocab either lol! it's always your
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-03-25 09:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

dustinfoley said: »

Agree with you 100%. It doesnt matter how much the buff pup (my main, mythic, 200+ jp, bis gear for every piece), I have to go geo/blm/blu if i want to do yorcia. Never mind that my blm pet can 1 shot any elemental and has infinite mp.

They made jobs like bst/pup to be solo jobs and to them never considered people actually using them in parties. The mind set of 'we made that to solo, why would you party with it?' always bugged me.

Granted I can go mnk thanks to mnk and pup sharing 99% of gear, it just bugs me that a job that does less dmg gets more invites due to stigma.

If you couldn't change jobs, ff11 would have failed 8 years ago with how unbalanced the game is. People would mass quit when the job they leveled to 75 couldnt be used on anything and they had to start all over.
What are you talking about? There's butterflies in yorcia that die to physical. I have brought thfs cors sams bsts and runs with me, to runs that I've paid for, and we completed 333's with time to spare. So right there, you do not need to be a mage to go. Any job can go. Then, if your pup can actually deal with elementals, PUP can go in and kill everything.
There's even a video on youtube of a thf/rdm soloing a 111. Learn your job and you can do anything.
 Asura.Lauriant
user: Lauriant
By Asura.Lauriant 2015-03-25 09:55:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Krysten said: »
No delve is horrible its like AA fights very specific jobs that get invited/wanted to go, IMO skirmishes and WKR has been the best "group" content they've made latley, really Any job can do it and i like that, takes away elitism

the only thing about delve i like is they made the "outside version" those are alot more doable

im hoping this Vagry more of the same any job can do it not just Brd mnk sam war whm

Skirmish... So many of these... imo there's to many I would rather have got anything but another Skirmish and augs lol waste of time and gil even more so now after the no new content after Nov announcement.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-25 09:56:23
Link | Quote | Reply

My reaction everytime they announce a new skirmish

[+]
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
By Asura.Taidis 2015-03-25 09:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
My reaction everytime they announce a new skirmish

That post gave me Skirmish.
[+]
By lhova 2015-03-25 10:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally like skirmish. Its "different" and it's a bit better than incursion spam. Speaking of which, I finally got my thf geared up and won the last two parses in my ls on 129 Incursion against a Tsu and Koga Sam's and low and behold SE is gimping RS today.. Eternally sad Thief....
 Bahamut.Shirai
Server: Bahamut
user: Shirai
By Bahamut.Shirai 2015-03-25 10:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Time to gear the next bandwagon job then!
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
By Asura.Taidis 2015-03-25 10:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Shirai said: »
Meh back to the SAM bandwagon.
 Asura.Lauriant
user: Lauriant
By Asura.Lauriant 2015-03-25 10:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

lhova said: »
I personally like skirmish. Its "different" and it's a bit better than incursion spam. Speaking of which, I finally got my thf geared up and won the last two parses in my ls on 129 Incursion against a Tsu and Koga Sam's and low and behold SE is gimping RS today.. Eternally sad Thief....

Yeah I don't hate it I just think there's to many they could have stopped making them but they didn't.
By lhova 2015-03-25 10:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, might be time to hang it up soon. I've always loved thief due to its solo ability.
 Sylph.Traxus
Server: Sylph
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2015-03-25 10:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lyncath said: »
You can be quite sure that once people find out the optimum setup and strategy for Vagary that will become the norm for a long time.

Sorry jobs that don't fit the impending paradigm, you're ***-out-of-luck.

More like once people clear it a few times, everyone else will copy the same setup/strategies forever even if they're extremely sub-optimal. Most shout groups I see are still looking for mnks for delve 1, pld+rngs for every merit BC, etc.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-25 10:35:46
Link | Quote | Reply

THERE IS NO OTHER WAY.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-03-25 11:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Traxus said: »
Lyncath said: »
You can be quite sure that once people find out the optimum setup and strategy for Vagary that will become the norm for a long time.

Sorry jobs that don't fit the impending paradigm, you're ***-out-of-luck.

More like once people clear it a few times, everyone else will copy the same setup/strategies forever even if they're extremely sub-optimal. Most shout groups I see are still looking for mnks for delve 1, pld+rngs for every merit BC, etc.

This so much this I was doing delve as cor/dnc a Sam and a MNK and I was doing well on the parse. Now the LS runs and the MNKs were doing lower damage than my cor but could I go cor could I *** because it didn't start with an M end in a K and have an N in the middle.
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2015-03-25 11:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Everything would be manaburn but SCH is too strong so people take away my malaise. I've been nerfed harder then rudra's storm.
[+]
 Asura.Loire
By Asura.Loire 2015-03-25 11:14:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Everything would be manaburn but SCH is too strong so people take away my malaise. I've been nerfed harder then rudra's storm.
You can have malaise back when you can show to the rest of the class that you can stand by the melee on gramk fights and still crowd control.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-03-25 11:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh back to the SAM bandwagon.
95% hit rate job? Screw that noise. Blu bandwagon!
[+]
 Asura.Fiv
By Asura.Fiv 2015-03-25 11:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You can have malaise back when you can show to the rest of the class that you can stand by the melee on gramk fights and still crowd control.
Your missing the point.
[+]
By tenakilo 2015-03-25 11:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

tenakilo said: »

I also am missing the point. Could you please explain it a bit more clearly?
Your attitude is exactly what is wrong with this game.

Whatever, your entire linkshell is full of jerks.
Your attitude is worse than nutella on chicken.

Fixed that for you <3
you're doesn't exist in fiv's vocab either lol! it's always your
Your missing the point.
 Asura.Loire
By Asura.Loire 2015-03-25 11:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Your missing the point.
So if I am the point and I am missing myself. Is that the reason windstorm gets clicked off?
 Asura.Fiv
By Asura.Fiv 2015-03-25 11:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Your missing the point.
So if I am the point and I am missing myself. Is that the reason windstorm gets clicked off?

First off, windstorm doesn't help idris melee sets at all.

Secondly i completely agree the mage party should stand with the melee.
[+]
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2015-03-25 11:53:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like you are having some accuracy issues there Loire. Are you sure you're standing in the precision bubble?
[+]
 Asura.Loire
By Asura.Loire 2015-03-25 12:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like you are having some accuracy issues there Loire. Are you sure you're standing in the precision bubble?
Might be that I didn't eat sush... DISPLAY DRIVER CRASH
[+]