Ragnarok.Orlind
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 21:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkalenia said: »
Capcom shot themselves in the foot when they *** over Inafune and Mega Man :/

You just don't do that to one of the people/franchises that put you on the map. Capcom was widely known for 2 things: Mega Man and Street Fighter.

Mega Man XOver and that mobile temple run clone doesn't help Capcom either.

Inafune also approved the development of the original Gundam VS game, Federation VS Zeon in arcades and PS2. I really hope he gets the Mega Man IP someday or full circle comes and Mighty No.9 Tales 3 gets made...
 Siren.Akson
Server: Siren
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 21:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You look at the combat in those vids and idk any other games that compare. Idea these games ain't coming to NA, wether it's JP opinion or Capcom's own, is ridiculous. This would sell alot better than some other games that arrive that ain't anything remotely half as good far as gameplay goes.
Ragnarok.Orlind said: »
That game is the Chinese MH Online game made by Tencent that I mentioned a while ago using CryEngine 3. From all the other people I've heard trying this game, they all hate it for not playing like MH.
Tencent is a Chinese ISP not a Game Developer far as I can dig up info on them. I don't see anything stating that they're software developers nor publishers. That's just JP saying "We hate playing with Chinese" which ain't all that shocking after all these years playing FFXI.
Being someone who's played all MH that have arrived here in America other than the 3DS < PSP nonsense I can say, if anything, the last 2 vids are more fluid animation than I've ever seen before. Other than that it looks like Monster Hunter through out.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 21:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought they ran a whole bunch of online multiplayer games and also own Riot Games, the guys behind League of Legends. I also don't remember saying Tencent made the game either.

Also, I've had a chance to play PSO2 and I actually like it more than even MH4U. It may even be my MMO of choice after FFXI goes down someday. And SMT IMAGINE, being able to control demon and master, looked and played awesome.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 21:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I've had a chance to play PSO2 and I actually like it more than even MH4U. It may even be my MMO of choice after FFXI goes down someday. And SMT IMAGINE, being able to control demon and master, looked and played awesome.
Maybe start a PSO2 thread showcasing the game. idk I tried a Demo of it iirc and wasn't blown away.
I also don't remember saying Tencent made the game either.
Well it sounded like it.
That game is the Chinese MH Online game made by Tencent that I mentioned a while ago using CryEngine 3. From all the other people I've heard trying this game, they all hate it for not playing like MH.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 22:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

In the end you could even be right after seeing the opening credits.
YouTube Video Placeholder

Monster Hunter Online Gameplay - New Battle Moves (CBT3)

Personally Idc if it's Tencent or Fiftycent. This needs localization pronto. Beyond 3DS.....
http://gematsu.com/2015/03/rumor-monster-hunter-frontier-online-2-in-development-for-ps4-pc
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-25 00:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/115712-Monster-Hunter-Online-(F2P)
Error displaying youtube video.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-03-25 09:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Akson said: »
Exactly. Which has always been the issue. Zero progression in handheld hardware is the Nintendo path.
idk, i'd say it has been good progression. solid OS, decent specs, no extra blog ware, no phone. accessible cost.

sure might say "oh this game could be better if it included yadda yadda"
that is not the system's fault, rather the developer.
Id give ***to the PSV because all I have for it is a fancy tablet paperweight that plays PSP games, a "next gen" golf game and Freedom Wars, and barely any battery life.

3ds is not "the best gaming can offer us" but it is currently the best portable one, unless you home brewed another system or tablet to run custom games. to thinking about it, have you looked into the Nvidia Shield? (i havent) but it seems to provide portable pc gaming or sorts?
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-25 13:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Nintendo continues to push, ever since the beginning of handhelds, an inferior platform for developers to make games on. When you look at the specs, like I pointed out, of the "New" 3DS XL and it's not even as powerful as Sony's last gen PSP and blown away by Vita... It's not the best gaming around. It's not even the best handheld. It's just supported by developers cuz ppl bought into NIN handheld gaming a long time ago. It's the Games themselves. I know. Maybe one day NIN will sell something 10yrs from now handheld hardware wise that's more powerful than PS Vita. That's how Nintendo does handhelds. Very slow progression.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-03-25 13:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Graphics are nice and all, but the biggest selling point for me will always be whether or not is has fun games for it. Stuff like battery life, durability, and price are pretty important too.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-25 13:44:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I think handheld gaming, and even Nintendo themselves as a hardware manufacturer, has more to do with thier target audience than anything. Both Sony and Microsoft continue to aim at an older demographic while Nintendo aims to give gaming for children. Which from Nintendo's perspective they're extremely successful in doing what they do. No matter how lackluster the technology is that Nintendo produces it's still going to sell like crazy to it's target audience. Sony's handheld, on the other hand, has an adult target audience that's not into handheld gaming and continues to never sell nor garnish any dev support. Which is catch-22 I suppose since children will always exist and Nintendo handhelds will never be aimed at adults which negates all progress towards handhelds too sophisticated for children.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-25 14:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I think handheld gaming, and even Nintendo themselves as a hardware manufacturer, has more to do with thier target audience than anything. Both Sony and Microsoft continue to aim at an older demographic while Nintendo aims to give gaming for children. Which from Nintendo's perspective they're extremely successful in doing what they do. No matter how lackluster the technology is that Nintendo produces it's still going to sell like crazy to it's target audience. Sony's handheld, on the other hand, has an adult target audience that's not into handheld gaming and continues to never sell nor garnish any dev support. Which is catch-22 I suppose since children will always exist and Nintendo handhelds will never be aimed at adults which negates all progress towards handhelds too sophisticated for children.

I think you've mixed up the target demographics for Sony and Nintendo on this one.

Sony has always and continues to aim their sights at the "hardcore gamer" market. Every commercial, every press conference and every advertisement since the 90s was aggressively about playing the best and being the best. These days, that includes those of us in our 30s and 40s so Sony happens to target them.

Nintendo, on the other hand, while having that "hardcore gamer" slant back in the 90s while competing with Sega and Sony, changed their demographics after the Gamecube. With the Nintendo DS and beyond, they went for every demographic they could grab outside that hardcore gamer. This culminated in the explosive sales of the Wii that has still sold more units than either of its contemporaries.

Nintendo continues its campaign to this day based on the feedback of many demographics. Did you know the DS XL was originally made for senior citizens who wanted bigger screens and a bigger stylus so they could play Brain Age, Zelda and Mario? The 2DS was only made in America and the first handheld made specifically for kids as it more sturdy than the 3DS and priced cheaper for parents.

Sony, on the other hand, continues its campaign for that hardcore gamer but comes up with a problem because of that. That hardcore audience in Japan (males 25-35) are traditionally supposed to stop playing video games by 30 and are less desirable for marriage. Yes, in the country that had an exhibit for Nintendo's history in their national museum, this crap still goes on. This is not the only reason why the Vita is lagging but it is one of them.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-25 14:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate posting twice but I thought the first post too long.

Like myself and others have pointed out, gamers care less about specs these days and more about the actual gaming. All specs can do is make things look prettier or add more enemies per screen. The Vita (and the PSP) never offered more than specs and we all know that's not what wins in the end (PS2 vs Xbox, DS vs PSP, PS1 vs N64, etc).

Also, graphics have gotten to the point in gaming where they matter less and less because we've reached that point where such things have vastly diminishing returns. And I'm glad about that because now companies may be able to finally focus on gaming instead of just specs and graphics. The best games of the last 10 years haven't relied on the best graphics and shouldn't for the future.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-03-25 14:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Which is catch-22 I suppose since children will always exist and Nintendo handhelds will never be aimed at adults which negates all progress towards handhelds too sophisticated for children.
I can't see how a system or game being too sophisticated for anyone would be a good design choice. I can see what you're saying, but I think in terms of potential markets, either company would do better to avoid defining themselves as "kiddy" or "mature", and instead go for something less expressive. That is, your average customer (as in anyone, not just regular gamers) would probably prefer something more subtly designed like a classic NES or standard Wii over a 3DS covered in Pikachus. The same extends to games, where having, say, cheesy voice acting (whether it's "kiddy" or "mature") can turn away a lot of people who aren't so conditioned to accept/ignore it.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-25 14:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, graphics have gotten to the point in gaming where they matter less and less because we've reached that point where such things have vastly diminishing returns. And I'm glad about that because now companies may be able to finally focus on gaming instead of just specs and graphics.
That's absolutely true on the home console end but the technology on handheld gaming is not exactly correct.
The best games of the last 10 years haven't relied on the best graphics and shouldn't for the future.
This is exactly how Nintendo wants you to think about thier Hardware. Sure WiiU is perfectly fine and what you said is True. The difference between WiiU to Xbox1 to PS4 has diminished cuz we are at the point where devs can do almost anything without hardware limitations and restrictions holding them bk. Yet when you look on the Handheld gaming market that absolutely is not the case and it's very visible when 3DS XL = PSP. Sure the devs can make great games as they did on NES and SNES while Nintendo offers such technology and it'll sell no problem due to the target audience. So you basically have PSP last gen defeating PS Vita next gen. It's catch-22 like I said. Has zero to do with adults who don't make up the vast majority of handheld gaming players. Adults apparently play on iPhones and is probly why FFXI ain't coming to Vita.
Like myself and others have pointed out, gamers care less about specs these days and more about the actual gaming. All specs can do is make things look prettier or add more enemies per screen.
If hardware didn't matter then gaming would never had evolved as it has.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-03-25 15:12:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd wager sometimes graphics get a little too outta hand, really. Specifically, when there's so many little details across the screen that you sorta have to train your eyes to each game's boundaries. You ever have a non-gamer friend watch something and they say "what the hell is happening? There's too much going on here". This doesn't have much of an issue in older games since they're using very few, often highly saturated and contrasting colors, in 2D.

I suppose a better comparison would be to something like a baseball game where instead of a neat, organized field will neatly painted lines, you had junk everywhere obscuring the field's visibility. That's why, for all the advertisements in sports, you aren't going to see many ads cluttering the turf, if any. It would just be too much for the eyes.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-25 15:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
I'd wager sometimes graphics get a little too outta hand, really. Specifically, when there's so many little details across the screen that you sorta have to train your eyes to each game's boundaries. You ever have a non-gamer friend watch something and they say "what the hell is happening? There's too much going on here". This doesn't have much of an issue in older games since they're using very few, often highly saturated and contrasting colors, in 2D.

I suppose a better comparison would be to something like a baseball game where instead of a neat, organized field will neatly painted lines, you had junk everywhere obscuring the field's visibility. That's why, for all the advertisements in sports, you aren't going to see many ads cluttering the turf, if any. It would just be too much for the eyes.
Which has more to do with the talent of the devs themselves. Hardware itself either restrains creativity or it has no restraints. Rest is up to the devs to create what they invision.
With WiiU Nintendo does offer devs something extremely unique with the WiiU controller and I suppose some could argue same with the 3DS series of dual screens. Which is both good for gaming as a whole. I'm just not kidding myself claiming Nintendo is even trying to offer Hardware that's beyond such Dual Screens when it's handheld franchise has always been lackluster technology from the very beginning.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-25 15:36:37
Link | Quote | Reply

IMO it woulda been better off, since Nintendo doesn't care to impress with polygon counts on handhelds, that they made the greatest sprite based handheld possible. Instead this half*** attempt at doing both. GJ on Dual Screen. Kudos to the devs for support and making great games regardless of the obvious limitations of hardware. Shame on Nintendo with 50 iterations of the same trash that barely even evolves yet asks you to continually upgrade.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nintendo_portable_consoles
Can't even imagine how much money is wasted on this fiasco where Nintendo is blatantly trying to gorge the public of every last penny they have with these "upgrades". /bravo
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-03-25 15:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

My beef with the 3DS was the price, which I think was mostly due to the 3D technology. I would much prefer an inexpensive system that doesn't try any gimmicky stuff I have no intention of using. Monster Hunter looks good enough for me as it is on 3DS, though while I agree it's a much greater experience on the WiiU, that's mostly because I prefer to play it on a console anyway. I would've been happy playing it on N64 if it was around then.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-25 15:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I played the PSP monster hunter series to death and even had someone to duo w/ ad hoc so I guess I'm fortunate but with that said. The whole WiiU monster hunter experience had me demanding more due to many reasons. Like the thunderous sound of the roars compared to PSP or the additional cinematic flair like Rathlos/Rathian pinning you down under thier feet. Not to mention the whole larger than life ratio compared to handhelds that drew me into the game even further. PSP just didn't compare. Great game just not exactly the same experience.
When I think of 3DS monster hunter, I'm sure Capcom has added some new twists to combat, as I've read about it all, yet I know it's still not nearly as epic as it coulda been being developed for WiiU again or even PS4.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-03-25 15:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, the series definitely makes for a greater experience on a TV than a handheld.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-25 16:56:56
Link | Quote | Reply

10 Years of Monster Hunter - MH Retrospective 【MH10周年】オープニング&プロモーションムービー集
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=156&v=R4BxSsnWE_E
1:11:11 vid too large for FFXIAH
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-25 19:43:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, graphics have gotten to the point in gaming where they matter less and less because we've reached that point where such things have vastly diminishing returns. And I'm glad about that because now companies may be able to finally focus on gaming instead of just specs and graphics.
That's absolutely true on the home console end but the technology on handheld gaming is not exactly correct.
The best games of the last 10 years haven't relied on the best graphics and shouldn't for the future.
This is exactly how Nintendo wants you to think about thier Hardware. Sure WiiU is perfectly fine and what you said is True. The difference between WiiU to Xbox1 to PS4 has diminished cuz we are at the point where devs can do almost anything without hardware limitations and restrictions holding them bk. Yet when you look on the Handheld gaming market that absolutely is not the case and it's very visible when 3DS XL = PSP. Sure the devs can make great games as they did on NES and SNES while Nintendo offers such technology and it'll sell no problem due to the target audience. So you basically have PSP last gen defeating PS Vita next gen. It's catch-22 like I said. Has zero to do with adults who don't make up the vast majority of handheld gaming players. Adults apparently play on iPhones and is probly why FFXI ain't coming to Vita.
Like myself and others have pointed out, gamers care less about specs these days and more about the actual gaming. All specs can do is make things look prettier or add more enemies per screen.
If hardware didn't matter then gaming would never had evolved as it has.

I'm going to have ask you where you got the notion that adults don't make up the majority of the gaming consumer market. You asked me for evidence about MHFG sales and I was at least able to give you something pointing to why they don't posts sales numbers just like S-E doesn't post for FFXI or the Dragon Quest MMO,

Especially when the majority is still adults 18-35 with kids having the same tiny share they had 10 years ago in the PS2 era. The ESRB noted a few years ago that only 5% of the games they rated were E or E-10 and that looks like it still hasn't changed. Even the games rated T have never come close to 20% even with the surge of the Wii.

Adults also make up the group that play games the most every week with children 17 and under making up a similar share as the games made every year for them. As for the claim most adults only play mobile, you're talking about the demographics that made the Wii explode moving on from that and has already been noted for part of the reason why the Wii U didn't explode in sales.

As for games hardware evolving, you can't blame just Nintendo for what you call holding back on technology. Every generation since after the Gamecube has consoles that has held back in some way. The PS3 and Xbox 360 were hardly bleeding edge tech and this current generation, the PS4 and Xbox One are even less close to the best.

Hardware evolution from the last gen to this gen only happened because the market was saturated and makers were starting to lose money year over year. If profits hadn't plateaued and profits weren't falling, you can bet Sony and Microsoft would've kept the last gen going. And before you say developers were pressuring them, that had been happening since 2011 but because profits were still good, console makers didn't care.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-25 21:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to have ask you where you got the notion that adults don't make up the majority of the gaming consumer market. You asked me for evidence about MHFG sales and I was at least able to give you something pointing to why they don't posts sales numbers just like S-E doesn't post for FFXI or the Dragon Quest MMO,
Even if I didn't work for a store that sells such it would still be a logical assumption to make tho I'll look into if Nintendo supplies such data.
Edit:
I appreciate ya helping me understand where you got your position from but I couldn't find any info from Nintendo on sales figures so my theory is just an assumption due to where I work and what I've seen.

As for games hardware evolving, you can't blame just Nintendo for what you call holding back on technology. Every generation since after the Gamecube has consoles that has held back in some way. The PS3 and Xbox 360 were hardly bleeding edge tech and this current generation, the PS4 and Xbox One are even less close to the best.
Bleeding edge compared to what? Other Consoles or Handhelds? or did you mean compared to PC cuz PS4 was more powerful than any PC at the time of PS4 specs announcement. By time PS4 shipped it was already outdated by PC technology but that's how PC technology in particular goes. Hardware manufacturers compete each generation that arrives except Nintendo that holds a monopoly on handhelds and will continue do so til ppl stop paying for zero to little improvements to handheld gaming.
By Enuyasha 2015-03-25 23:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The one thing i have a problem with so far in MH in its entirety is the camera controls.

I feel like im playing Dark Souls, except the camera is a bigger douche specially since aiming with a bow or bowgun is completely involved with the camera system :< Why they didnt assign the bow controls/camera to the thumbstick and the movement to Dpad i have no idea.

PS4 and XBone specs WERE top of the line, then they both got delayed to ***and didnt get upgraded. Consoles always suffer because console makers dont allow customization/optimization and just hand you a pretty awesome laptop with a free controller. If consoles wanted to survive longer and get better reception they should open up and allow for users to change the hardware for better performance.

Also, having the capacity to process more at once like a PC would be so great for consoles.

obligatory: I CAN DREAM OKAY
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-26 00:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »
The one thing i have a problem with so far in MH in its entirety is the camera controls.
PSP camera control was so notorious they named it.
-Monster Hunter on PSP: Using 'The Claw' in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Epic game regardless. Even with all the pain and suffering included using the Claw.
Enuyasha said: »
If consoles wanted to survive longer and get better reception they should open up and allow for users to change the hardware for better performance.
This is a great idea imo and I wouldn't be surprised if we seen such beyond this generation of consoles. Now that consoles are nothing more than gaming PCs nowadays.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-26 00:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

MONSTER HUNTER
- PROS
Combat [combos, blocking, evading attacks]
- CONS
plot and storyline
longevity

FINAL FANTASY
-PROS
plot and storyline
longevity
graphics
mythology
-CONS
combat

If they could just blend the two games into one game......
FFXIV > WoW but it didn't aim against FFXI
SE imo needs to take aim against Monster Hunter instead of WoW.
Especially if they ain't gonna make a FFXI 2.0
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-04-11 13:32:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Monster Hunter Online - Estrellian Awakening CBT-Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=16&v=SkOYkXrpgks