Monster Hunter vs. Final Fantasy
 Siren.Akson
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 17:18:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Orlind said: »
Also, ancient tech doesn't matter to me as long as the game is great to play. I don't hate the Vita and in fact, I just bought a PlayStation TV even though I have a Vita. I follow the games as long as they are fun and just buy all the consoles and handhelds to cover that.
Which is reflection of the game development not a nod to Nintendo themselves. MH4U woulda been a much better experience on PS Vita just as MH on PS2 vs a PS4 edition. The stylus is an ok concept but Vita also has touch screen as you know. I understand there are great games on 3DS. Great games that could've been better on superior hardware. Either by Nintendo offering better or development given to Vita.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-03-24 17:20:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually prefer games on the 3ds than the vita. only thing I feel the vita has over the 3ds is the screen dpi, but playing on the vita is an eyesore, and finding games for it is just... rare.

edit: not saying it looks bad, but the rightness, even on low hurts my eyes after a few mins.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
Server: Ragnarok
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 18:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Akson said: »
Also, ancient tech doesn't matter to me as long as the game is great to play. I don't hate the Vita and in fact, I just bought a PlayStation TV even though I have a Vita. I follow the games as long as they are fun and just buy all the consoles and handhelds to cover that.
Which is reflection of the game development not a nod to Nintendo themselves. MH4U woulda been a much better experience on PS Vita just as MH on PS2 vs a PS4 edition. The stylus is an ok concept but Vita also has touch screen as you know. I understand there are great games on 3DS. Great games that could've been better on superior hardware. Either by Nintendo offering better or development given to Vita.

Elite Beat Agents would be crap on the Vita touch screens and MH was never as good on PS2 =I It only took off after it was put on PSP because you could play with anyone easily in person. Playing games like MH (especially as an MMO) on a console online without your party members in person loses that awesome social aspect. And no, voice chat like Ventrilo and Skype don't make up for it.

Bismarck.Misao said: »
I actually prefer games on the 3ds than the vita. only thing I feel the vita has over the 3ds is the screen dpi, but playing on the vita is an eyesore, and finding games for it is just... rare.

edit: not saying it looks bad, but the rightness, even on low hurts my eyes after a few mins.

Which Vita did you use? Version 1 with the OLED or the newer version with the regular LED? I love the OLED so much more as the colours are so much better.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 18:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure how much better games can look on 3DS over Vita.
http://www.nowgamer.com/ps-vita-vs-nintendo-3ds-vs-iphone-4s-specs-showdown/
133million polygons vs 15million, OLED screen vs LCD screen with lower definition and that's assuming you upgraded all the way up to 3DS XL. I guess I'm just not a fanboy.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-24 18:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

To me Nin just has more attractive games than psp, that's the only reason I chose that one, don't care about graphic difference.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 18:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Which Vita did you use? Version 1 with the OLED or the newer version with the regular LED? I love the OLED so much more as the colours are so much better.
OLED and haven't seen the downgraded screen
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
To me Nin just has more attractive games than psp, that's the only reason I chose that one, don't care about graphic difference.
Yeah, which is a shame really considering.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/07/29/psp-specs-revealed
PSP had 33million polygons/sec compared to 3DS XL 15million.
GoGo Nintendo!
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 18:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

133million polygons vs 15million, OLED screen vs LCD screen with lower definition and that's assuming you upgraded all the way up to 3DS XL. I guess I'm just not a fanboy.

I'm not a fanboy either as I play both systems almost about the same with the games I have on both. Polygon count and console wars stopped mattering to me after the 90s because it got old and I could afford to buy all consoles to enjoy all the games.

Like I said, I follow the games and not the consoles. I also don't worry about how much better a game could be on some other system because it sounds too much like PC Master Race talk. And worrying about stuff like that means my potential fun factor is lowered on something I could care less about.

I mean, look at your situation. You already missed Fire Emblem and Bravely Default because of your stance on Nintendo. Please don't tell me you missed The World Ends With You too because out of all S-E products since FFXII, that one actually made the attempt and risk of being different while turning out to be its best game. To this day, I still can't think of a better example of a game we all should be supporting. Jupiter for TWEWY and Byking for Gunslinger Stratos have done wonders for S-E as third-party studios but nobody ever sees that.

S-E's only hope are talents like these studios.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 18:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a fanboy either as I play both systems almost about the same with the games I have on both. Polygon count and console wars stopped mattering to me after the 90s because it got old and I could afford to buy all consoles to enjoy all the games.

Like I said, I follow the games and not the consoles. I also don't worry about how much better a game could be on some other system because it sounds too much like PC Master Race talk. And worrying about stuff like that means my potential fun factor is lowered on something I could care less about.

I mean, look at your situation. You already missed Fire Emblem and Bravely Default because of your stance on Nintendo. Please don't tell me you missed The World Ends With You too because out of all S-E products since FFXII, that one actually made the attempt and risk of being different while turning out to be its best game. To this day, I still can't think of a better example of a game we all should be supporting.
I agree to a point. I knew all along Nintendo had games on thier handhelds and I was going without but at the same time, it does matter which platform game developers choose to port thier games to cuz 1 platforms CPU/GPU power does not = the next one. Any game that requires polygons and not sprites is enhanced by more powerful hardware. Just as MHF2 on PSP =/= MHFG on PC. Same scenario with MHF2 on PSP vs MH4U on 3DS. Which could've been on a far superior handheld system named PS Vita.
Unfortunately the platform on which games are developed for means everything due to system limitations. So I try not to encourage development on systems with inferior specs by not purchasing said hardware >< to an extent ofc cuz unlike handhelds the home consoles are competing on an almost level field.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-03-24 18:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I said the vita has a higher DPI, which in turn gives better visuals.

games themselves, asides visual sharpness, arent too different between each other tho, and while the 3d is a visual gimmick, the 3DS does dish out more "fun" games than the vita does.

If I where to pick a system to be a fanboy on, i'd pick PC.
portable? 3ds has the more variety on games available tho.
[+]
By Darkalenia 2015-03-24 18:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree to a point. I knew all along Nintendo had games on thier handhelds and I was going without but at the same time, it does matter which platform game developers choose to port thier games to cuz 1 platforms CPU/GPU power does not = the next one. Any game that requires polygons and not sprites is enhanced by more powerful hardware. Just as MHF2 on PSP =/= MHFG on PC. Same scenario with MHF2 on PSP vs MH4U on 3DS. Which could've been on a far superior handheld system named PS Vita.
Unfortunately the platform on which games are developed for means everything due to system limitations. So I try not to encourage development on systems with inferior specs by not purchasing said hardware >< to an extent ofc cuz unlike handhelds the home consoles are competing on an almost level field.

Specs and hardware don't mean ***if the game isn't fun. Also, graphics don't make a game, gameplay does.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 18:36:20
Link | Quote | Reply

portable? 3ds has the more variety on games available tho.
Exactly. Which has always been the issue. Zero progression in handheld hardware is the Nintendo path.

Darkalenia said: »

Specs and hardware don't mean ***if the game isn't fun. Also, graphics don't make a game, gameplay does.
To an extent otherwise we would all be currently playing on the Nintendo NES atm. Which would mean FFXI never exists nor FFXIAH itself. So yes hardware matters.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 18:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The games you compared don't work because you're comparing completely different generations in gaming and different time periods as well. Enhancing graphics only matters to players who care about graphics that much and I never think graphics should inform any player's decision on if they should buy any game. The only exception to this is the same exact game that is multiplatform and in that case, I pick PC.

I still can't believe you haven't bought MH4U already just because of the 3DS, especially since people are saying its the best one yet and even say it beats out Frontier G. You really shouldn't miss out on good games just because of something that small.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 18:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, just like Nintendo, Capcom hasn't pushed the envelope with thier Monster Hunter franchise. A game that begs to be given a Next Gen facelift remains shackled by the restraints of the hardware it's developed on. Unlike FFXV which is showcasing gaming possibilities w/ gameplay that won't come close to Monster Hunter. Capcom keeps thier highest selling game extremely low budget on a system that can't even duplicate Sony's last gen hardware let alone Vita which would make that game maybe not as grand as a PS4 carnation but atleast alot better than 'almost' PSP visuals.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 18:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, just like Nintendo, Capcom hasn't pushed the envelope with thier Monster Hunter franchise. A game that begs to be given a Next Gen facelift remains shackled by the restraints of the hardware it's developed on.

Then what is Frontier G's excuse? Its not pushing any envelope either from what my friends in Japan have told me. It all plays the same and looks like an up-rezzed MH which nobody over there cares about. Monster Hunter on PS4 won't do any ground-breaking either so you can't blame the 3DS for any shackles. If anything, a non-handheld MH shackles people to not playing with others in person and missing that whole aspect to the series. Going out and forming a party with your friends or meeting new people out at a convention and bonding over the parties you form is a huge thing for this series and why the PSP version made the series popular over the PS2 version.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 19:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, just like Nintendo, Capcom hasn't pushed the envelope with thier Monster Hunter franchise. A game that begs to be given a Next Gen facelift remains shackled by the restraints of the hardware it's developed on.

Then what is Frontier G's excuse? Its not pushing any envelope either from what my friends in Japan have told me. It all plays the same and looks like an up-rezzed MH which nobody over there cares about.
Do you have any links to sales of MHFG? I can't imagine a game that broke all sales records in Japan is not selling extremely well as an MMO for PC to the point they ported it almost every single console and handheld.
Monster Hunter on PS4 won't do any ground-breaking either so you can't blame the 3DS for any shackles.
I apologize that I can't take you serious here thinking the 3DS is the best gaming can offer us?
If anything, a non-handheld MH shackles people to not playing with others in person and missing that whole aspect to the series.
So Ad Hoc lan play beats online gaming?

Of course not.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 19:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Capcom's decision to port MHFG to those other platforms was not dependant on its success and was all part of the plan. As for sales for MHFG, Capcom didn't note MHFG in their annual and quarterly reports because its not their priority. MHFG was just a way to cash in on the popularity of the main series.

I don't think the 3DS is the best nor any other console. Putting the series on PS4 but having basically the same gameplay does not make it better and doesn't make sense to Capcom Japan anyhow. Do you know why the last few games haven't been ground-breaking? Capcom can't risk another loss like Resident Evil 6 and is staying the course to rebuild capital. The best they would do is port MHFG to PS4 and even then, it won't sell as well in a market that prefers handhelds for the series.

As for ad-hoc play over online, have you seriously not played Monster Hunter in a group of people or friends? Holy hell yes its better!! Especially when playing with people all within 5 feet of you because what lag? Team-building and synergy aside, my best experiences have been showing strangers my 3DS or PSP at a convention, popping in games and the excitement at facing a crazy boss together!

And even if we got that MMO you wanted, why wouldn't you play with friends over voice chat or better yet, grabbing all your PCs and forming a LAN? Even FFXI is so much better over voice chat.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 19:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I rather hear "Facts" and not believe "Myths" without evidence to back up claims disguised as Facts that ain't even Reality. >< I apologize man but being adamant about your love for Gundam and 3DS both respectively is cool. I just don't wanna swallow down BS stories about how awful sales are for the #1 selling game ever in Japan and how nobody cares an MMO version exists? I mean you can go into elaborate detail all these reasons to back up claims but Who? What? and Where? are your Sources for such concrete Information? ><
 Shiva.Zykei
Server: Shiva
user: Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2015-03-24 19:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

As for ad-hoc play over online, have you seriously not played Monster Hunter in a group of people or friends? Holy hell yes its better!
This.

The best time I ever had was chilling with friends all night killing G Crimson Fatalis while poking fun at each other when someone carts to the inevitable meteor that decides to drop on them.

The online experience is just not the same. Have you seen the MH4U boards on GFaqs? It's terrible.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 19:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Here I'll help some.
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/monster-hunter-4-breaks-all-sales-records-in-japan-29449173/
This Sales record breaking is a routine Theme for Monster Hunter.
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Monster+Hunter+Portable+3rd/news.asp?c=25731
As I said. Japan knows Monster Hunter exists. The idea the MMO ain't selling or wouldn't sell is laughable at best without some credible source.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 19:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Here I'll help some.
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/monster-hunter-4-breaks-all-sales-records-in-japan-29449173/
This Sales record breaking is a routine Theme for Monster Hunter.
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/Monster+Hunter+Portable+3rd/news.asp?c=25731
As I said. Japan knows Monster Hunter exists. The idea the MMO ain't selling or wouldn't sell is laughable at best without some credible source.

Capcom's own 2014 annual report says their online business is down 27% from the year before and while MHF is making a contribution, it all still went down. They don't quote the actual sales because it didn't stand out like other games.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/oar/finance/

Let me make this clear: the main Monster Hunter series is #1 and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and that ≠ MHFG. Capcom even cites that their overall online business is declining due to lack of management expertise. Stop lumping the two together as they are not counted together. Capcom USA has even less infrastructure to support an MMO should it ever come here.

Even with their overviews, they cited Monster Hunter 4 specifically because that title did outstanding and does not include MHFG because they are in different segments and did not do good enough to warrant a highlight.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/oar/segments/index.html
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 19:53:12
Link | Quote | Reply

They didn't claim MHFG was not selling well enough? So how did we come to the assumption such figures were the blame of MHFG?

It's actually easier to assume the demand for MH's MMO version exists and that numbers are reflective upon the failure of other games developed by Capcom that ain't breaking Japan's Sales Records with each new addition?
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 20:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

They didn't claim MHFG was not selling well enough? So how did we come to the assumption such figures were the blame of MHFG?

Who said I blame MHFG for all of it? I just said it wasn't doing enough to be highlighted and that matters to the investors and shareholders. I even mentioned that MHFG made a contribution but it just wasn't enough. Its clear as day that the game is not a high priority like the main series.

If you look at the reports for Japanese companies, they like highlight their wins and try not to elaborate on things that do "okay" or mediocre. S-E does the same and its why you don't really see what the exact sales are for FFXI and haven't in years.

That same report says Monster Hunter 4 went on to sell 4 million units. MHFG wasn't worth mentioning in the online segment over Smurf's Village or even the iOS Monster Hunter games. Doing okay is not good enough if you want to bulid confidence for the big guys to expand beyond MHFG's original aim, which was getting on the consoles you see it getting on.

It's actually easier to assume the demand for MH's MMO version exists and that numbers are reflective upon the failure of other games developed by Capcom that ain't breaking Japan's Sales Records with each new addition?

We all know the MMO exists. My friends in Japan know it exists and so do the shareholders that pay attention. But again, the demand may be enough for you but in the eyes of those shareholders and even its actual audience (not you or me but my friends and others in Japan), its all not enough.
By Darkalenia 2015-03-24 20:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Capcom shot themselves in the foot when they *** over Inafune and Mega Man :/

You just don't do that to one of the people/franchises that put you on the map. Capcom was widely known for 2 things: Mega Man and Street Fighter.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 20:05:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm hoping this eventually happens.
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Monster-Hunter-Frontier-G-Coming-America-PS-Vita-Version-Works-62058.html
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 20:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope so too but Phantasy Star Online 2 promised the same thing years ago. Sega even built an English website, have a PS Vita version and got the game to 90% completion for the international release. That was nearly 3 years ago and it makes me sad.

I know Capcom and Sega are not the same but they are both on the same road and face the same challenges.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 20:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope so too but Phantasy Star Online 2 promised the same thing years ago. Sega even built an English website and got the game to 90% completion for the international release. That was nearly 3 years ago and it makes me sad.
Yeah that would def suck..... source seems to be atleast a year old too with nothing else since? >< gah
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 20:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

2013 Monster Hunter Beta ;;
YouTube Video Placeholder

Possibly 360 or PS4. Idk but looks more Hi-Res.

Which IMO is why neither PSP did compare to the WiiU game nor 3DS would compare to a PS4 edition. Extremely sad dis zhit ain't gonna make it to NA.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 20:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Then again.....

Maybe PC hax can play

Monster Hunter Online - This Is Only Coming Out In China WHY!?
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 21:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

That game is the Chinese MH Online game made by Tencent that I mentioned a while ago using CryEngine 3. From all the other people I've heard trying this game, they all hate it for not playing like MH.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-03-24 21:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

the awesomeness of Hotel Dusk
[+]