Forum » FFXI » General » Monster Hunter vs. Final Fantasy
Monster Hunter vs. Final Fantasy
 Siren.Akson
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-22 10:09:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly all I see is gaming Dragon slaying at it's best and I want it localized pronto.
YouTube Video Placeholder

Other than that I know what I want from SquareEnix.
Suggestions for a better FF game showcasing competitor's game I guess is justified reason to ban. meh w/e
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-03-22 12:01:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorta unrelated, but my brother and I put together a Windower addon and some .bgw files so that it plays Monster Hunter music when fighting WKR/Delve bosses. Specifically, the WKRs just play the changed songs, while in Delve, the music goes silent when approaching the boss, and then starts up with the changed song when you pull them (kinda like in Alluvion with Balamor).

Bee - Nargacuga
Shark - Flooded Forest
Tojil - Brachydios
Yumcax - Misty Peaks
Hurkan - Zinogre
Kumhau - I use Zamtrios, my brother prefers Frozen Tundra

Upon victory, it plays the quest complete tune from Tri.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-22 23:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually didn't get to play the Demo tho I plan on buying the game. After watching this, for me personally, I rather see something more along these combat lines than the FFXIV combat system. It's not quite Zelda nor Monster Hunter grandeur and splendor of combat but it's still a step in the right direction imo atleast. More control over combat with every swing, dodge and failed attack that you miss ain't all that bad.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-23 03:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

More here!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-23 03:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't explain how badly I'd love to see a Next Gen PS4 edition ;; FFXV makes me drool over possibilities. If SE would just make a high budget MMO to take down the MH franchise with all that is above and beyond great with FFXIV and with MH combat including possibly mages and all I think SE would have themselves a winner.
Everything that Monster Hunter is always lacking SE could easily fix.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
Server: Ragnarok
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-23 08:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

S-E wouldn't make an MMO in a style similar to MH that would any better because they haven't done it so far. None of the games they've copied have been any sort of great improvement over the original. Just sticking the FF name onto such a game isn't enough and that's exactly what they will do.

Once Nomura is gone, S-E will no longer anyone they can consider talented because they hadn't grown any new talents since the exodus 15 years ago. They've been buying studios to gain talent but nobody is going to trust a foreign studio.

I'd only trust Sega, Atlus or Capcom to make the game you want even though they've all failed at least once to break into the international MMO market. S-E is more interested in the mobile gaming market anyhow and have already indicated so many times officially.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-23 14:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXV is indeed going down the path of complete control over attacks. Which is what Monster Hunter has in spades. Only thing missing, far as I can tell from that FFXV vid, is diversity in weapons. Other than that, I don't see how one could assume that SE can't accomplish and create an outstanding MMO along those lines.
I really don't even consider it as copying Capcom as much as I see it as an inevitable evolution of RPG gaming. Total control of combat instead of a system that dictates for you your success rate on attacks landed, attacks blocked, or evaded would make every FF game even more enjoyable including FFXI itself. The technology just wasn't ready. Monster Hunter has accomplished such due to the fact it's all done on a much smaller scale. World environments, characters, mobs, everything is in limited numbers far below the scale of FFXI. One look at FFXIV on PS4 and now FFXV and it's obvious SE is still extremely talented within thier studios far above SEGA and everyone else, including Capcom, developing RPGs. Not a PC player so Idk maybe some dev on PC just as talented but on console SE still does it alot better than anyone. Sooner or later I'm sure they'll master the combat. It's only a matter of time.

Off Topic: Hideo Kojima MGS5

[Didn't feel like starting a new MGS5 thread]
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 05:12:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Akson said: »
FFXV is indeed going down the path of complete control over attacks. Which is what Monster Hunter has in spades. Only thing missing, far as I can tell from that FFXV vid, is diversity in weapons. Other than that, I don't see how one could assume that SE can't accomplish and create an outstanding MMO along those lines.
I really don't even consider it as copying Capcom as much as I see it as an inevitable evolution of RPG gaming. Total control of combat instead of a system that dictates for you your success rate on attacks landed, attacks blocked, or evaded would make every FF game even more enjoyable including FFXI itself. The technology just wasn't ready. Monster Hunter has accomplished such due to the fact it's all done on a much smaller scale. World environments, characters, mobs, everything is in limited numbers far below the scale of FFXI. One look at FFXIV on PS4 and now FFXV and it's obvious SE is still extremely talented within thier studios far above SEGA and everyone else, including Capcom, developing RPGs. Not a PC player so Idk maybe some dev on PC just as talented but on console SE still does it alot better than anyone. Sooner or later I'm sure they'll master the combat. It's only a matter of time.

Off Topic: Hideo Kojima MGS5

[Didn't feel like starting a new MGS5 thread]

I've watched S-E's efforts at making RPGs over the last decade and no, they are not the extremely talented group you seem to make them out to be. The studios they've bought though, now they are talented. But every FF team beside Tetsuya Nomura's (one of the last men of Square from the 90s) cannot make a good game. Why do you think they changed FFXIII Versus to FFXV? And even he didn't finish in a timely fashion because he no longer has the tech talent he needs, only the artists.

FFXIV and FFXV tell me the opposite of what you're seeing as I see S-E does not have the talent they need. What they do have is money and time to make the games even with only an army of artists. There's a reason Nomura's games have a similar combat vibe: that's the only type of combat he knows anything about. And I don't want to watch FF devolve into action with no substance.

Sega and Capcom may have lost their big name directors but they still have the know-how to make a good game. They just don't have the money or confidence at the moment. Even with an old game like PSU, that was fun because you had time every single attack just right to do optimal damage. These "perfect strikes" continues in PSO2 with improvements and personally I would rather play PS over MH because of art direction and combat systems.
By Darkalenia 2015-03-24 06:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yet it's just like MH4U in that it appears they both play on trash systems.

The 3DS is not a trash system, kthx.

I've put hundreds hours into over two dozen of my games on the 3DS in the past 6-8 months. I'm enjoying a lot of these games even more so than a lot of my Steam/PS4 titles. It has a fantastic library of games, many of which you will not find on another system - such as Fire Emblem: Awakening.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 07:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkalenia said: »

I've put hundreds hours into over two dozen of my games on the 3DS in the past 6-8 months. I'm enjoying a lot of these games even more so than a lot of my Steam/PS4 titles. It has a fantastic library of games, many of which you will not find on another system - such as Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I prefer my 3DS and Vita myself for gaming these days as I find myself commuting alot more than I used to, especially in games like Phantasy Star and Monster Hunter. There's nothing like sitting with your friends in a group of 4 having a great time.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 12:25:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I'm extremely opinionated. Nintendo themselves just annoy me when the best they can muster w/ "New" hardware is always ancient old technology. I know NIN handheld gaming is always top notch. It's just the hardware itself bugs me when PSP and now PS Vita always could have those same quality games looking and playing alot better on its hardware instead of Nintendo's. If Nintendo ever went the way of SEGA and stopped all hardware production turning into a software dev only I wouldn't shed a tear. I would love to play that Fire Emblem series. I just refuse to hand over money to NIN's overpriced craptastic handheld hardware. WiiU on the otherhand I do have, think I bought cuz MH3U was announced/arrived and was outstanding as usual.
The whole idea that MH4U is now on 3DS and not PS Vita... blah.
Ragnarok.Orlind said: »
Said about SquareEnix development
I see SE themselves in the midst of growing pains atm. They are trying to evolve thier turn based combat style of old FF gaming into something more modern and if they would just pay close attention to Capcom's Monster Hunter series they would IMO have a better understanding of how combat in RPGs should play out for thier RPGs in the future. Attack combos and combat along the lines of Street Fighter would bring melee MMO jobs into the next level of gaming. Just add mage jobs into the mix and we good. Beyond that I think it's always possible to have all 3 as options for an MMO; keep FFXIV cuz we know it'll remain for a while, but adding FFXI 2.0 and FFMHF as well wouldn't hurt any.

If Street Fighter V arrives with macros that do 8 hit combos instead you actually controlling every single attack then that would be like what we have with FF gaming MMO atm. SFV would ofc be extremely terrible and fans would reject it but if SE could pull themselves away from macros/hotbars and allow us total control over combat then the results would be the opposite. A greater FF online MMO. Not everyone would be into such for whatever reasons, like they can't pull off combos in SFV, but it would still be one epic Dragon Hunting Simulator MMO regardless. If you ain't good at such combat then just play support job.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 14:01:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Capcom already tried macro buttons for the 3DS Street Fighter IV and nobody cared because it isn't needed. The Legaia series also already tried a combo system in an RPG and people complained they didn't want that.

And if you played the Phantasy Star Online series or even Star Ocean, that's already been unofficially happening since the early 2000s. I used to time perfect sword slashes, launch my enemy and finish them off with my hand gun. Others would continue where I left off in my combo with their own weapons and there you would have a combo.

The "growning pains" you're talking about has been taking place for nearly 15 years now and has nearly trashed the FF brand. Every Japanese company except Atlus is waiting for S-E and FFXV's success or failure before they jump onto the PS4. The Japanese and American gaming press has been saying that if it fails, we may never see a console FF ever again and most RPGs for this generation will go mobile.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 14:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole idea that FF needs "Tank" jobs....

Really pointless if we had control over melee attacks

Mages could learn how to be more evasive.
 Lye
By Lye 2015-03-24 14:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

There are many people that like specialization.

If everyone is dodging the same mechanic, to say it's "more exciting" or "better" is simply a subjective opinion.

Furthermore, given the success of Bravely Default, I'm inclined to believe that there is no shortage of players that do not feel endeared to the idea Final Fantasy becoming more Monster Hunter-esque simply because you like it.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 14:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The "growning pains" you're talking about has been taking place for nearly 15 years now and has nearly trashed the FF brand. Every Japanese company except Atlus is waiting for S-E and FFXV's success or failure before they jump onto the PS4. The Japanese and American gaming press has been saying that if it fails, we may never see a console FF ever again and most RPGs for this generation will go mobile.
SquareEnix has strayed from Turn Based Combat since FFXI. They always had alterations between games in the series pre-11 but after FFXI everything changed. Partially due to being an online game now and probly a large part had to due as well to the success of Monster Hunter sales in Japan. SquareEnix ain't exactly in any danger if a huge money machine named FFXI is expendable. If SE wanted to return bk to Turned Based I'm sure they could. It's just oldchool. Out with the old and in with the new.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-03-24 14:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

My favorite aspects of both series have been well-designed boss battles. FF5 is my favorite since every boss has some quality or strategy that can be taken advantage of if you explore your abilities. Monster Hunter pretty much does the same thing, like say getting Diabolos' horns stuck in a wall. Yet, in both, it's still possible to win without using these weaknesses. To me, this respects the significance of player's choices. Nothing is fun about a game where you either have only 1 real option, or there's no difference between your strategy across every boss in the game.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 14:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Thing that bothers me most about FFXIV is I don't understand why they went with less control of strategic combat than FFXI and didn't try to just give more control over melee combat while keeping what worked. Instead they went with a domino chain of commands on hotbar that requires more work on the players end but brings nothing new to combat nor strategy other than repetitious content. Why dodge "redlines" when ya coulda pulled of something along the lines of the dodging attacks in MH. PS4 allows for alot more than what FFXIV is offering in combat. If SquareEnix doesn't pull it all together I'll just wait for a PS4 Monster Hunter MMO. One day.
By Darkalenia 2015-03-24 15:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

and most RPGs for this generation will go mobile.

If gaming ever goes purely mobile (Handheld consoles dont count) I'd shoot myself.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-03-24 15:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Need more local co-op multiplayer games on consoles. I can only play Ninja Turtles and Kirby Super Star so many times with my brother.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 15:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Need more local co-op multiplayer games on consoles. I can only play Ninja Turtles and Kirby Super Star so many times with my brother.

If FFXV allowed 4-player co-op in the story, it'd probably attract a lot more people and I would be more excited for it. I'm not counting on it as S-E went stupid and took it out of the Mana series when it was one of its best features. Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2 for the uninitiated) beat out Chrono Trigger for me purely because my friends sitting with me weren't sidelined to just watching.

and most RPGs for this generation will go mobile.

If gaming ever goes purely mobile (Handheld consoles dont count) I'd shoot myself.

If you shoot yourself, make sure that bullet hits me as well.
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
Server: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2015-03-24 16:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

they need to make a "Souls" MMO

/thread

;)
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-03-24 16:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

has this been mentioned yet?

Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 16:11:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Reichleiu said: »
they need to make a "Souls" MMO

/thread

;)

If they do that, it would ruin the atmosphere of isolation for me. I hope they never do it. As for the combat systems, they are far from unique and have already used such systems in other MMOs.

So no /thread for you :D

And yes I already mentioned FF Crystal Explorers...
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-24 16:13:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said: »
It has, and I'm dying waiting for a EU release date.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-03-24 16:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, waiting on more info on this, leeks hella fun :(

would be nice to see another FF Chronicles game too, if this doesnt play like that.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 16:32:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue was mainly not an MMO on PC/PS4. Doesn't look so bad tho and seriously considering getting over my disgust for Nintendo handhelds now >< w/ MH4U, Bravely Default and that game as well..... s.o.b
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 16:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue was mainly not an MMO on PC/PS4. Doesn't look so bad tho and seriously considering getting over my disgust for Nintendo handhelds now >< w/ MH4U, Bravely Default and that game as well..... s.o.b

I have never had any problems with Nintendo's handhelds as they have been doing great things since the original Gameboy making Tetris so popular. Some of my favourite games make unique use of the DS such as controlling two characters at once with The World Ends With You, the awesomeness of Hotel Dusk and fun of Elite Beat Agents.

The 3DS has made very awesome games with the Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy series, an actual Resident Evil game, Fire Emblem, Bravely Default and so many others. I will never be able to see why anyone thinks Nintendo has bad handhelds when they've done so much for gaming.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-03-24 16:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not Nintendo hardware. It's the games. I mentioned that. Nintendo insists on pushing ancient technology onto handhelds while Sony provides much better hardware. One is supported while the other one is ignored. If any of those games mentioned were on Sony's platform they woulda been even better.

Edit: After watching vids of MH4U on 3DS and having played the PSP version of MHFU2 a long time ago.
It looks like PSP hardware > 3DS let alone PS Vita but that's Nintendo Power for ya.
 Ragnarok.Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-03-24 17:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not Nintendo hardware. It's the games. I mentioned that. Nintendo insists on pushing ancient technology onto handhelds while Sony provides much better hardware. One is supported while the other one is ignored. If any of those games mentioned were on Sony's platform they woulda been even better.

Ahhhhh, so that's where we differ then. I would NEVER play a game like Elite Beat Agents on a Vita because I need the stylus and The World Ends With You on one screen and you can't control 2 characters at once? They already did that with the iOS version and is only good for those who thought the original too hard.

Also, ancient tech doesn't matter to me as long as the game is great to play. I don't hate the Vita and in fact, I just bought a PlayStation TV even though I have a Vita. I follow the games as long as they are fun and just buy all the consoles and handhelds to cover that.