First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-05 14:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
I pointed out that the thread was ended with a post on page 1. Why is everyone still here? shoo.

It needs to eventually reach Nazi entropy. Something about how blacks are the real racists, native americans should have simply self-deported or my favorite: That George Washington is responsible for Black History Month.

It says it right there in the Constitution.

"The brother shall be appointed no more than 28 days to celebrate his heritage. Also, Washington was here, Jefferson is a loser."
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-05 14:13:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I was hoping for Jewish conspiracy mixed in for good measure!
 Leviathan.Egonn
Server: Leviathan
user: Egonn
By Leviathan.Egonn 2015-03-05 14:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Wickednessss said: »
YouTube Video Placeholder

THIS.
By Shogunazzazzin 2015-03-05 15:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Odin.Godofgods said: »
I noticed that they sold a button that said "Proud to be Irish." And I could never understand that
I know that people like to quote George Carlin almost as much as other people like to quote the Bible, but on this count, he's dead wrong.

Irishmen, both at home and in the US, were subject to considerable hatred. At one point in the United States, during my grandparents' lives and even in Carlin's lifetime, being Irish was worse than being black, because not only were you as bad as those filthy, uppity ex-slaves, but you also had the audacity to wear pale skin, too.

You know what there isn't? A button that says "Proud to be English." And there's a reason for that. It's the same as why there shouldn't be buttons that say "Proud to be straight" (these do exist because people think they're clever). Pride is an important concept, especially when it's in reaction to being told that one should feel ashamed about some factor of birth. I'm sure there's a history of English pride amongst those Anglo-French living in France, though.

Context is relevant.
Whoa!!!!! When was being Irish considered worst than being Black? You can't be serious, when were Irish people brought to America on slave ships? When were the Irish daughters raped, Irish sons hung? When was the last time you saw pictures of an Irish man's brutally mutilated back, from the whippings. Those arnt even the worst of the autrocities Black people had to endure for 400 years. And you think Irish people had it worst in America??? Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, assasinated, Mumia Abu framed and incarcerated for life. I just dont see how being Irish was, is or ever will be worst. Just saying :)
[+]
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
Server: Asura
By Asura.Carrotchan 2015-03-05 15:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shogunazzazzin said: »
I noticed that they sold a button that said "Proud to be Irish." And I could never understand that
I know that people like to quote George Carlin almost as much as other people like to quote the Bible, but on this count, he's dead wrong.

Irishmen, both at home and in the US, were subject to considerable hatred. At one point in the United States, during my grandparents' lives and even in Carlin's lifetime, being Irish was worse than being black, because not only were you as bad as those filthy, uppity ex-slaves, but you also had the audacity to wear pale skin, too.

You know what there isn't? A button that says "Proud to be English." And there's a reason for that. It's the same as why there shouldn't be buttons that say "Proud to be straight" (these do exist because people think they're clever). Pride is an important concept, especially when it's in reaction to being told that one should feel ashamed about some factor of birth. I'm sure there's a history of English pride amongst those Anglo-French living in France, though.

Context is relevant.
Whoa!!!!! When was being Irish considered worst than being Black? You can't be serious, when were Irish people brought to America on slave ships? When were the Irish daughters raped, Irish sons hung? When was the last time you saw pictures of an Irish man's brutally mutilated back, from the whippings. Those arnt even the worst of the autrocities Black people had to endure for 400 years. And you think Irish people had it worst in America??? Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, assasinated, Mumia Abu framed and incarcerated for life. I just dont see how being Irish was, is or ever will be worst. Just saying :)
I'm at work, so I don't have time to go full potato. Here's a link instead.
inb4 tldr
excerpt:
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-05 15:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

We're all slave to the wage

By Enuyasha 2015-03-05 15:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Shogunazzazzin said: »

Context is relevant.
sometime around the potato famine. after being Irish, a walk down the line of history also included being catholic or some form of European decent. It may have been more historically violent to be black, but African Americans were not the only ones subject to discrimination and some form of violence in this country (It also somewhat helped that a majority of the immigrants from europe were not brown people :<).

Immigrant on Immigrant discrimination and violence has also been a thing for a very long time (Fostered by a lot of overcrowding and underemployment based tensions of the 19th century era cities).
Server: Balmung
Game: FFXIV
user: Yatenkou
By Cecilia Charl 2015-03-05 16:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »
Immigrant on Immigrant discrimination and violence has also been a thing for a very long time

Delicious.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-05 16:08:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Throw in the Italians, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and every other new group that gets ***on when they join 'Murica. Right now we're on hating the *** out of Central Americans - because they aren't all Mexican.

What hasn't changed is the idea that darker skin equals less value as a human being. The Irish are pretty much filed under Caucasian now unless you feel free to let the world know you're not part of the amorphous white blob.
[+]
By Shogunazzazzin 2015-03-05 16:22:52
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.academia.edu/9475964/The_Myth_of_Irish_Slaves_in_the_Colonies
From what I read, your quote comes fro. The same 1 book that tries to imply the Irish slavery misconception. The article linked above will clear things up if you are interested in gettibg more information kn this subject. I'm an Equal Opportunity NCO in the army, I've been doing this since 2004, given too many classes on all the different heritage months and never ever has Irish slavery been confirmed as a truth, yet people base their assumpyions on this one book written by John Martin.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-03-05 16:23:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Throw in the Italians, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and every other new group that gets ***on when they join 'Murica. Right now we're on hating the *** out of Central Americans - because they aren't all Mexican. What hasn't changed is the idea that darker skin equals less value as a human being. The Irish are pretty much filed under Caucasian now unless you feel free to let the world know you're not part of the amorphous white blob.

What part of 'Murica do you live in? I've lived in a few different parts of the country and I can only identify a small handful of genuinely racist people that I've met, and most of those weren't even white. There is plenty of America out there that doesn't identify with the deep south or big cities when it comes to hating on minorities.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-05 16:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Throw in the Italians, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and every other new group that gets ***on when they join 'Murica. Right now we're on hating the *** out of Central Americans - because they aren't all Mexican. What hasn't changed is the idea that darker skin equals less value as a human being. The Irish are pretty much filed under Caucasian now unless you feel free to let the world know you're not part of the amorphous white blob.

What part of 'Murica do you live in? I've lived in a few different parts of the country and I can only identify a small handful of genuinely racist people that I've met, and most of those weren't even white. There is plenty of America out there that doesn't identify with the deep south or big cities when it comes to hating on minorities.
Big cities? I thought they were the one's who generally are the least racists of them all.

Cause, you know, most major cities are breeding grounds for progressive values and all that.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-03-05 16:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Big cities? I thought they were the one's who generally are the least racists of them all. Cause, you know, most major cities are breeding grounds for progressive values and all that.

That would make sense, right? Maybe my relatively short visit to New York City wasn't the best indicator, but I saw more than a few instances of racism there that took me by surprise.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-05 16:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm talking about historically and culturally in America. Bias towards darker skinned people is a thing, it springs from that racist ideology that just won't quit and it effects how people divvy up money and resources for those groups. If you think something negative about a group of people (read: blacks and hispanics), you'll subconsciously act on it.

It's important to look at the history of poor treatment towards the Italians or Irish (immigrant discrimination) but your odds of being treated like crap based on race these days coming from either of those groups is low. Why? Because they've been absorbed into the sphere of 'whiteness'.

We've still got public officials trying to align being black with a native propensity for crime and therein lies the problem.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-05 16:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Big cities? I thought they were the one's who generally are the least racists of them all.

Cause, you know, most major cities are breeding grounds for progressive values and all that.

Stop trying to ***things up with red v. blue garbage. Failure to comply will leave me no choice but to unleash the one true Patriot.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-05 16:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Big cities? I thought they were the one's who generally are the least racists of them all. Cause, you know, most major cities are breeding grounds for progressive values and all that.

That would make sense, right? Maybe my relatively short visit to New York City wasn't the best indicator, but I saw more than a few instances of racism there that took me by surprise.
The parts of NYC I have been was mainly between the airport and downtown at my client's.

I meant to actually drive to NYC in my super awesome road trip last year, but I got sick in Canada and had to cut that short.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-05 16:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop trying to ***things up with red v. blue garbage. Failure to comply will leave me no choice but to unleash the one true Patriot.
I'm just countering a stereotype about the Deep South.

Even though it really doesn't effect me, on occasion Texas does get lumped in with the South.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-05 16:49:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Racism is a general American problem. A persistent one embedded in the roots of the nation. An institution that has receded but still flares up like a bad case of herpes. I choose to believe we're better than this as a nation but I'd be lying if I said some statements made don't completely demoralize me.

The South mainly ends up our scapegoat because a. poor people make great scapegoats. b. the south can't stop putting its foot in its own mouth. c. post civil war legacy.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-05 16:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Racism is a general American problem. A persistent one embedded in the roots of the nation. An institution that has receded but still flares up like a bad case of herpes. I choose to believe we're better than this as a nation but I'd be lying if I said some statements made don't completely demoralize me.
Which goes back to Morgan Freeman's point: Want to stop racism, stop talking about it.

Not talking about it doesn't mean to ignore it, it means stop glorifying it.

Stop paying attention to the fearmongers on both sides of the issue. Learn the lesson, don't do it again, move on. It's that simple.
[+]
 Siren.Sieha
Server: Siren
user: Sieha1
By Siren.Sieha 2015-03-05 16:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

wow such gold here.

getting offended at this sign is like taking someones drink, spilling it on yourself then getting mad that person had a drink.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-05 16:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's sad a nation so ethnically and culturally diverse has rampant racism and discriminations. One could say that's the very problem, but meanwhile Japan doesn't have even 1/5 of the immigrants US has and is xenophobe to death.
Idk man. The world seems to just suck in every corner. Even though it doesn't have corners.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2015-03-05 17:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
It's sad a nation so ethnically and culturally diverse has rampant racism and discriminations. One could say that's the very problem, but meanwhile Japan doesn't have even 1/5 of the immigrants US has and is xenophobe to death.
Idk man. The world seems to just suck in every corner. Even though it doesn't have corners.
That's why we need to take our rampant racism to OUTER SPACE-ACE-ACe-Ace-ace-ace!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-05 17:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the US isn't that ethnically diverse. Most immigrants are tucked into cities or suburbs of cities.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-03-05 17:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Personally, I agree with him. Arbitrary borders are just that. What is a racial identity but a ham-fisted cultural blanket identity? It isn't race that defines culture, but culture has an interesting way of defining race; and it's an active choice to ascribe that definition.
I still can't agree that a racial identifier begets racism. Someone who's of the mind to treat people negatively based on one criteria will just find another way to crap on someone's head so getting rid of these identities just delays the problem and accomplishes nothing. Until we're one homogeneous race of mocha-colored bisexuals (it's gonna happen, don't fight it), any differences within the human population are a potential target. For me, doing what Freeman states would just feel like a defeat rather than a progression.

The rest of his statements I can relate with though. Hell, I just had to look up when Hispanic heritage month was so that goes to show how much I'm attached to that particular sentiment.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-03-05 17:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Which goes back to Morgan Freeman's point: Want to stop racism, stop talking about it.

Not talking about it doesn't mean to ignore it, it means stop glorifying it.

Stop paying attention to the fearmongers on both sides of the issue. Learn the lesson, don't do it again, move on. It's that simple.
I don't know what this means. Don't talk about it, but... talk about just not too much? Or do it in a way that's palatable?

And if you're referring to the vocal extremes on the issue, then stop. There are plenty of people capable of discussing race and racial issues without screaming for reparations or white slavery.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-03-05 17:32:40
Link | Quote | Reply

we are a species built on hate and death sadly.

Quote:
I assume you’re noticing that all those activities I’m mentioning: Murder, torture, genocide. These are all thing human beings do. Not animals, those creatures we feel superior to.
- George Carlin

Quote:
Now, in case you're wondering why I have a certain interest, or fascination let's call it, with torture and beheadings and all of those things I have mentioned, is because each of these items reminds me in life over and over again what beasts we human beings really are.

When you get right down to it, human beings are nothing more than ordinary jungle beasts. Savages. No different from the Cro Magnon people who lived twenty five thousand years ago. No different. Our DNA hasn't changed substantially in a hundred thousand years. We're still operating out of the lower brain. The reptilian brain. Fight or flight. Kill or be killed.

We like to think we've evolved and advanced because we can build a computer, fly an airplane, travel underwater, we can write a sonnet, paint a painting, compose an opera. But you know something? We're barely out of the jungle on this planet. Barely out of the f***ing jungle. What we are, is semi-civilized beasts, with baseball caps and automatic weapons.
- George Carlin
By fonewear 2015-03-05 17:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate people but not because of their race...
By fonewear 2015-03-05 17:38:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Contrary to popular belief not everyone in America is racist !
By fonewear 2015-03-05 17:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the US isn't that ethnically diverse. Most immigrants are tucked into cities or suburbs of cities.

I live where the population is 99.9% white.

*holds out hope for racially pure future when we are all brown*

I'll do my part by marrying a Hispanic woman.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-05 17:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

I live where the population is 99.9% white.

Is the .1% that one guy claiming to have been the descendant of a great Sioux chief?
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10