Vaccine / Health Care Scam Exposed.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Vaccine / Health care scam exposed.
Vaccine / Health care scam exposed.
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-12 09:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Lordgrim said: »
your a man with vision like I am
Yeah, in the sense that both of you are hallucinating.

It's delirious how you guys keep talking as if science doesn't exist and this stuff is just magically conjured into existence by companies and governments.

You should really consider psychiatric help...oh wait don't tell me, you're afraid they'd use meds to 'dumb you down' I bet.
[+]
By charlo999 2015-03-12 11:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Siren.Lordgrim said: »
The thing we all need to take out of this is that WE as individuals should make the choice for ourselves and ourselves alone not others.
*** that. I don't have a medical degree, I don't have the time or literal decades to do the necessary research. I'll happily let well-accredited experts make my decision for me.

On the off chance I actually think my opinion is worth more than two puffs of cow methane, it's still going to be 100% based on the same verifiable data that a health care professional would use. I'd like to believe that you're genuinely suggesting that everyone actually take the time to read the literally thousands of research papers out there, but you aren't suggesting that at all. If you were, you'd stop this ridiculous campaign against established science. You idiot.

The irony here is that I'm the person who actually does spend most of his free time reading scientific research and watching critical analyses thereof. I have actually taught myself how to wade through something on PubMed to find what is actually being said because I don't trust anything that is simple enough for someone like you to understand it. If any data can be rendered into language suitable for the evening news or, worse yet, a sensationalistic YouTube video hosted by an ex-wrestler, I know it is incontrovertibly WRONG. Data doesn't come in soundbites. Ever. Not even that soundbite I just created is trustworthy.

It bespeaks amazing hubris that people with objectively limited education and intellect believe themselves to be more capable and reliable than the collective education and intellect of an entire scientific community. Skepticism has its place, but skepticism that is intractable is no longer useful and, at the risk of No True Scotsman, it's no longer actually skepticism, either. In order to be a real skeptic, you have to recognize when your hypothesis is wrong. And if your hypothesis is demonstrably correct, it behooves you not to demonstrate it well. This is the basis of science and science is a fancy word for literally all human knowledge. Even my degree that ostensibly prepares me to analyze the rhyme structure of a Shakespearean sonnet is still based in science and the scientific method.

Come, join the rest of human society and cast off the shackles of your egomaniacal ignorance.
All the [+]s.

Should save this post and throw it in the face of all those who accuse the scientific community of conspiring against humanity (without demonstrating any sort of real evidence).

Wow this is dripping in self righteousness. Data can't be simplified for the masses to understand and only a few of the scientific elite have that privilege, including this deranged fellow. You both must know as much as god does.
Always loyal to the always well intended goal of science, right?
Fact is mankind has and always will have people with heartless, selfish goals. Until you show me that nothing bad ever happens in the world I will go on questioning everything. Including man made science.
Trust is built on righteousness, not given away freely on the say so of the masses.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-03-12 11:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
There is no debate when it comes to an Us Vs. Them mentality.

This thread is the clearest proof.
Um, no.

This thread is proof that those against vaccinations have little to no understanding of how they work. There is no debate because the only counterarguments are obscure youtube videos and questionable "studies".
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-03-12 11:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

Um, no.

This thread is proof that those against vaccinations have little to no understanding of how they work. There is no debate because the only counterarguments are obscure youtube videos and questionable "studies".

The same lack of understanding is at work in virtually all anti-science "debates".
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-12 11:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Um, no.

Where are those flu shot studies then?
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-03-12 12:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean the one you linked that supported their use?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-12 12:08:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Every year around this time, 120 million Americans roll up their sleeves to get their annual flu shots. Since 2010, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended yearly jabs for every healthy American over the age of six months. The goal is to curb the spread of infection and minimize the risk for potentially dangerous complications such as pneumonia, particularly among the elderly and the very young. But science on the vaccine’s efficacy is scant among those two vulnerable groups. And although healthy adults do get some protection, it may not be as robust as they expect.

One oft-cited claim, based on several large meta-analyses published more than a decade ago, is that seasonal flu shots cut the risk of winter death among older people by half. But the research behind that claim has been largely debunked. A 2005 study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine noted that influenza only causes about 5 percent of all excess winter deaths among the elderly—which works out to one death from flu per 1,000 older people each season—so it’s impossible for the shot to prevent half of all their winter deaths. The following year, a study reported that as vaccine coverage increased among the elderly in Italy in the late 1980s, there was no corresponding drop in excess deaths. In another 2006 paper, Lisa Jackson, an infectious disease epidemiologist at the Group Health Research Institute in Seattle, and her colleagues showed that although vaccinated seniors were 44 percent less likely to die during flu season than unvaccinated seniors were, the vaccinated ones were also 61 percent less likely to die before flu season even started. “Naturally, you would not expect the vaccine to work before the thing it protects against is going around,” says Lone Simonsen, a research professor in global health at George Washington University and a co-author of the 2005 study in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

Researchers now attribute these odd findings to a “healthy user” effect. People who don’t get vaccinated often “are the most frail or [those] whose health has gone down dramatically in the last few months,” explains CDC epidemiologist David Shay. People who choose to get flu shots, in other words, are already healthier and therefore the least likely to die.

So how much does the vaccine truly help older people? In January 2012, Michael Osterholm, an epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota’s Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, and his colleagues published a meta-analysis in The Lancet Infectious Diseases that analyzed the results of all randomized controlled clinical trials conducted between 1967 and 2011 on the effects of flu shots. It found that there have been no clinical trials evaluating the effects of the traditional flu vaccine in the elderly. The only vaccine shown to protect against infection or death in older adults, it said, is the live-attenuated vaccine—an inhalable vaccine that contains a live, modified version of the virus—which is not approved in the U.S. for adults over age 50.

The traditional vaccine may not work so well in older people because of an idea known as immune senescence, which posits that as people age, their immune systems weaken, resulting in poor vaccine response, especially to inactivated strains. Although the U.S. Food and Drug Administration licensed a high-dose vaccine for seniors in 2009 that could theoretically overcome this problem, no studies have yet been published on how effective it is. “The higher dose produces a higher level of antibodies, but we don’t really know what that correlates to,” says Jackson. A 2010 systematic review published by the Cochrane Collaboration, an independent, nonprofit organization that promotes evidence-based medicine, concluded that “until such time as the role of vaccines for preventing influenza in the elderly is clarified, more comprehensive and effective strategies for the control of acute respiratory infections should be implemented.”

The dearth of controlled research on seniors stems in part from the fact that the U.S government considers such clinical trials unethical. Based on an idea known as clinical equipoise, scientists can’t test, in a randomized controlled trial, a treatment that the larger medical community already considers to be effective, because doing so would involve denying treatment to half of the participants, potentially putting them at risk. “We’re in a difficult spot,” Shay says—since the CDC already recommends flu shots to seniors, the agency can’t suddenly turn around and ask them to participate in a clinical trial that might deny them the standard of care.

What about kids? In 2010, the U.S. Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices began recommending flu vaccination for all healthy children older than six months, an expansion that they claimed was “supported by evidence that annual influenza vaccination is a safe and effective preventive health action with potential benefit in all age groups.” Yet a July 2012 Cochrane Collaboration systematic review concluded that for kids under the age of two, the currently licensed vaccines “are not significantly more efficacious than placebo.” The review highlighted a single small study conducted on children under two—the only controlled study that has evaluated the efficacy of the shot currently licensed for young kids—which found, overall, that vaccines provided no statistically significant protection over the course of two flu seasons. “One season, the vaccine did something to prevent some symptoms, but in the second, nothing,” says co-author Tom Jefferson, an epidemiologist with the Cochrane group. In kids older than 2, however, flu vaccines do seem to work; according to the Cochrane analysis, the shot reduces the absolute risk that a child will catch the flu by about 3.6 percent, whereas the live (inhaled) vaccine reduces the absolute risk by about 17 percent.

In healthy adults under the age of 65, flu vaccines work, too. A 2010 Cochrane review, also co-authored by Jefferson, estimated that during “good” vaccine years—when the vaccines match the circulating viral strain well, which Jefferson says happens about half the time—the vaccine reduces the relative risk that an adult under 65 will catch the flu by about 75 percent. In absolute terms, however, this means adults have about a four percent chance of catching the flu if they don’t get the vaccine and about a one percent chance if they do. Shay notes that while this estimate is reasonable, some flu seasons are worse than others, so the risk may be higher than 4 percent in some years (and some people) and lower than 4 percent in others. (And of course, the vaccine won’t protect against the nearly 200 viruses that cause flu-like symptoms but aren’t actually the flu.) Although scientists generally believe that the flu vaccine slows the spread of the virus through communities, there are no data showing that this is true, because “those studies are very difficult to do,” Shay explains.

So should people still dutifully line up for their flu shots? Older kids and healthy adults do get some protection from them; just perhaps not as much as they want or expect. But for seniors and toddlers, there may never be a clear answer to this question, particularly because the U.S. government is unlikely to conduct additional clinical trials. On Monday, Osterholm and a group of five other scientists at the University of Minnesota’s Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy published a report highlighting the need for better alternatives. Although the current options may—for most people—be better than nothing, “we can no longer accept the status quo,” they wrote. “The perception that current vaccines are already highly effective in preventing influenza is a major barrier to pursuing game-changing alternatives.”
Flu Shots May Not Protect the Elderly or the Very Young
Despite government recommendations, there is little evidence that flu vaccines help individuals older than 65 or younger than two
This supports their use?
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-03-12 12:16:44
Link | Quote | Reply

charlo999 said: »
Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
All the [+]s.

Should save this post and throw it in the face of all those who accuse the scientific community of conspiring against humanity (without demonstrating any sort of real evidence).

Wow this is dripping in self righteousness. Data can't be simplified for the masses to understand and only a few of the scientific elite have that privilege, including this deranged fellow. You both must know as much as god does.
Always loyal to the always well intended goal of science, right?
Fact is mankind has and always will have people with heartless, selfish goals. Until you show me that nothing bad ever happens in the world I will go on questioning everything. Including man made science.
Trust is built on righteousness, not given away freely on the say so of the masses.
You can question things all you want, that's your prerogative.

And no, you don't need to be an "elite" to understand statistics. You need to demonstrate at least basic understanding of the field you're researching, though.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-03-12 12:19:20
Link | Quote | Reply

TLDR: Flu shots work for individuals between 2 and 65.

So... yes?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-12 12:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

TLDR: Flu shots work for individuals between 2 and 65.

So... yes?
4% chance vs. 1% chance.

&

“The perception that current vaccines are already highly effective in preventing influenza is a major barrier to pursuing game-changing alternatives.”

Ok, just checking.

Quote:
they're cheap/free
You definitely get what you pay for then.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-03-12 12:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

That would be absolute chance. Since the risk of any individual becoming sick with the flu is relatively low, the respective reduction in that risk will be relatively low as well. And I don't think anyone would argue against more effective alternatives, but nowhere in that link does it make the case that one shouldn't get vaccinated.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-12 13:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I still stand by my argument, only people who are going to be around the old, the young, and the weak [immune systems] should get them.

I've yet to see a well presented argument for why everyone should get them.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-12 13:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I still stand by my argument, only people who are going to be around the old, the young, and the weak [immune systems] should get them.

Herd immunity.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-12 13:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Herd immunity.
It's not needed for the flu, nor would it work.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-12 13:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's put it another way, from NPR which links only to some site called redwineapplesause (cause that sounds legitimate):

Quote:
Myth #29: Making a new vaccine each year only makes influenza strains stronger.

Fact: There's no evidence flu vaccines have a major effect on virus mutations.
NPR link

Quote:
Myth #29: Making a new vaccine each year only makes influenza strains stronger. (Fact: There’s no evidence flu vaccines have a major effect on virus mutations.)

This myth is a challenging one to address succinctly without oversimplifying the science. The short answer is that current vaccines are not going to create more dangerous variants of a flu strain.

Influenza virus strains are evolving and changing on a regular basis in two main ways: “antigenic drift and antigenic shift.” Drifts are small, gradual changes that happen all the time in response to environmental pressure and even within our own bodies. The influenza virus has a segmented genome: its genome is in eight parts which can randomly re-assort. When the virus infects an individual, it can “exchange” these gene segments and change within that one individual. Our own immune response can invoke a selective pressure on the virus that contributes to drifting, with or without a vaccine. If the virus didn’t change at all from year to year, the flu vaccine would never need to be reformulated each year (and that Holy Grail of a universal flu vaccine would be less elusive).

It is possible that a vaccine could be among the environmental pressures influencing antigenic drifts, but no more so than what already occurs in our own bodies and most likely to a lesser extent. There is not evidence that vaccines cause major changes in the virus, such as an antigenic shift. A shift is much more troublesome change, leading to a dramatically different strain that our immune systems are not usually prepared for. A shift is what happened with the 2009 H1N1, and it’s what happened with the Spanish flu epidemic in 1918-1919. That pandemic only lasted a year, but it was far worse than a typical flu season, killing an estimated 3% of the world population. (More on this in this book.)

Interestingly, some believe it’s possible that high levels of herd immunity could reduce antigenic drift. This researcher explains, “As herd immunity increases, we should expect to see more antigenic drift; however, if immunity is high enough to prevent the population-wide spread of the pathogen, the epidemic cannot take off and the virus does not evolve.” Regardless, current vaccines are not going to create more dangerous variants of a flu strain.
Redwineapplesause link

Neither one of those sounds convincing. It sounds more like things will get worse, but then they will get better once everyone does it. Trust us, but we can't be bothered to prove it until we do it.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-03-12 14:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

What is your argument for why someone should not?

You act like influenza vaccination is a mandatory thing. Given your agent provocateur approach to everything, I'm not convinced you believe a bit of the tripe you're spewing. Ever. But let's pretend you actually have some stake in this... what is it, exactly? A four-fold increase in immunity/resistance hardly seems like something to resist, unless you're looking to parlay that into resisting immunization against more infectious and dangerous diseases.

You've already demonstrated that the vaccine is effective for the majority population. Have you ever had influenza? Even though it's not too dangerous to the population that a typical vaccine protects, it is a terrible thing to endure. I've had it once and I was so weak that I had to drag myself on hands and knees to get to the bathroom both to piss and to get rehydrated (the serious danger of living alone). And that was just last year, when I was 31, so prime of health and guess who wasn't vaccinated. I had no lasting effects except never wanting to get it again. Which, because influenza mutates at ridiculous speed, I'm always at risk for.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-03-12 14:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-12 14:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had it once
I have it at least 3 times a year every year, I wish I had your immune system.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-12 14:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Flower-head to English Translation: Truth and Justice!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-03-12 15:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I've had it once

Get out of the basement once and a while, you'll get more exposure and further enhance your own system.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-12 15:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Normally I'd give the usually you can't prove a negative statement, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here. I have serious concerns over myth #29 that have not been answered. Until then my argument is to use the shot for it's intended purpose and not the population as a whole.

You act like influenza vaccination is a mandatory thing.

Have you ever had influenza?
It's not, but it's on a strong path towards being that way, given the high recommendations from the CDC.

Last time I had the flu was a month before the swine flu hit the news and everyone, flu shot or not, got it. (Jan 2009 I believe)

Before that, sometime before 2000.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-03-12 15:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I've had it once

Get out of the basement once and a while, you'll get more exposure and further enhance you're own system.
How's that working for your English?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-03-12 15:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
I've had it once

Get out of the basement once and a while, you'll get more exposure and further enhance you're own system.
How's that working for your English?

when you've got nothing else to say, point to common grammar mistakes...
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-12 15:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

When you speak the words your and you're they both sound the same. Or do you write down words when you 'talk' to people?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-03-12 15:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had it once

Get out of the basement once and a while, you'll get more exposure and further enhance your own system.
I don't live in a bunker in fear of everything like you do. I do go out, and that is how I get sick. My body's been weak all my life.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-03-12 15:45:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Neither one of those sounds convincing. It sounds more like things will get worse, but then they will get better once everyone does it. Trust us, but we can't be bothered to prove it until we do it.
The part you bolded is a working hypothesis. Something that becomes apparent if you read the linked study rather than the blurb filtered out by a site called redwineapplesause.com.

Again, you're linking things that run contrary to whatever point it is you're feebly trying to get across. Do you even know anymore?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-12 15:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Just when I thought there might be a slight glimmer of hope that either Pleebo or Ono might actually address the issue I've repeatedly stated I have with flu shots, it seems we're going back to mindless semantics again. Followed by usual Us vs. Them, swearing, name calling, etc.

Oh well :/

Can't say I didn't try. Maybe Ono will tackle it, idk.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-12 16:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I was hoping that Pleebo would answer your question for you. I know that herd immunity is something worth considering for all vaccines, including flu.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-12 16:24:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I was hoping that Pleebo would answer your question for you. I know that herd immunity is something worth considering for all vaccines, including flu.
So was I.

His response of:
The part you bolded is a working hypothesis.
Casts even more doubt now on strongly recommending flu shots to the public as a whole, rather than their intended use.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-03-12 18:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Normally I'd give the usually you can't prove a negative statement

I'm not asking you to disprove God. I'm not actually asking you to definitively prove anything. Give me a GOOD REASON why you oppose influenza vaccination.

For reference:

You act like influenza vaccination is a mandatory thing.
It's not, but it's on a strong path towards being that way, given the high recommendations from the CDC.

THAT is not a good reason. While you may be shocked to see me express skepticism about the efficacy and rightness of the CDC (I'm think they're the idiots behind the gay blood donation ban in this country), mere skepticism is not enough. I want a concrete and solid reason.

I may still disagree with you. Or maybe not. I've NEVER had an influenza vaccination because I'm borderline phobic of needles. I live across the street from a pharmacy that gives the damned things away every year, too, so it's not like I lack access. But just because I am willing to gamble with my health (note: I once worked in a psych hospital for a couple weeks -- had I been hired on permanently, I'd have gotten a flu vaccine to protect myself and the patients, but my day-to-day now doesn't bring me into contact with at-risk populations) is not a good reason to blanketly reject vaccine.

Your concern regarding the effect of immunization on influenza is actually not terrible, but it's empty speculation by the data you provided. Show me something that demonstrates that vaccination contributes to the already-ridiculous mutation of influenza viruses AND that vaccination can somehow contribute to a more dangerous mutation than the viruses achieve on their own. The notion that vaccination can do that latter strikes me as very unlikely (note: I've got enough medical training that this isn't blind opinion). MRSA and other super-bugs are a result of exogenous antibiotics, not endogenous antibodies.

As for developing herd immunity to influenza, I strongly doubt it's possible with current medical tech. The virus is far too effective at mutating and there's far too many strains of it. HOWEVER, scientists have discovered a novel way of "vaccinating" against herpes simplex viruses that... I'd have to look up the specifics, but it uses a very different method than traditional vaccines. It's entirely possible we'll find a similar novel method that can block the rapid mutations of influenza and rhinovirus, too. The FDA is starting trials of a functional cure for HIV (note: it's a cure that functions for retroviruses, so it wouldn't be immediately adaptable to standard viruses), a virus that we've already got so well-controlled that infection no longer reduces life expectancy. Give medical science some credit: we're making strides in anti-viral techniques that will eventually render current vaccines obsolete.

Until then, however, the evidence as to why not to vaccinate is somewhere between highly unreliable and completely non-existent. Weighed against the evidence in favor of vaccination, the burden really is on someone like you to explain your assertion or shut up.
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19