How Would You Balance The Jobs?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How would you balance the jobs?
How would you balance the jobs?
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-09-17 14:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Ophannus said: »
That's always the 'go-to' argument "everyone who doesn't use X is terrible". A majority of Incursion I've joined had no Geo, and I've been doing it multiple times per day since it came out with a number of different linkshells and PUGs. To see "everyone uses GEO, lol" is obviously not the case. Maybe only forum-goers/BG players know about GEO in Incursion.

I just asked this group to bring GEO and they said "why, geo sucks, their pet will just die from aoe, brd can rebuff qickly after dispel and ballad whm"
Even if you aren't using the Forum-goers/BG players that know how Vex/Attunement work, basically anyone should know that Fury+Frailty is absolutely broken. It's not a hard concept.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-17 14:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

What buff do Geo's use? I was thinking Geo-Haste since we're always getting Slowed.

Indi-Haste/Fury + Geo-Frailty is a massive boost on your DPS.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-09-17 14:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Vex/attunement is amazing in there for all the debuffs. They can also sub blm and stun with decent stun sets, to stop the Velkk Pygmachia and Saurian Slide which are the worst WS.
[+]
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-09-17 15:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Dragoons: How's wyvern survival in Incursion with all that AOE flying around?

Pet never die when I go with ryu drg, but we do stun every tp move.

Quote:
So overwhelm is OP and easy to use but SATA is hard ? ok.

Activating SA or TA locks you in place and there's a short delay before you can do anything(not so much when you stack it for a WS). A SAM merely can just WS from the front. Also it's more likely the SAM has hate anyway so the mob would be facing them to begin with -_-

If the sam has hate, then it is easy for the thf to SATA.
By Highwynd 2014-09-17 15:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont play geo but isnt it kinda mp heavy to use indi spells then dismissing and recasting it whenever you move? Like when you're roaming to NMs?
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-09-17 15:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The Geo spells cost around 300MP to cast, you should only really cast them once or maybe twice per room. Bosses you only need to cast them 1-3 times in my experience, the mega boss can kill bubbles fast but the normal NMs really can't. It really isn't an issue, I still have enough MP to do the nukings. Also you get back a decent chunk of the mana cost when you full circle.

Edit: I actually go /sch to Incursion now, so if it really ever did become an issue I could go /rdm for Convert and it would be fine.
 Asura.Loire
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2014-09-17 15:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

That's always the 'go-to' argument "everyone who doesn't use X is terrible". A majority of Incursion I've joined had no Geo, and I've been doing it multiple times per day since it came out with a number of different linkshells and PUGs. To see "everyone uses GEO, lol" is obviously not the case. Maybe only forum-goers/BG players know about GEO in Incursion.

I just asked this group to bring GEO and they said "why, geo sucks, their pet will just die from aoe, brd can rebuff qickly after dispel and ballad whm"
How small that box has to be to think inside of. How does the luopan die if all the AoE is stunned?
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-09-17 15:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Man so much crying about samurai. SAM is balanced very well against MNK and RNG. Samurai is also crippled in fights where you get amnesia; the job does almost no white damage. We struggled against Hyoscya because we had too many samurai. It's generally a balanced job but other DD's aren't useless in comparison, except jobs that are solo-focused. OP talking about BLU being bad? Wha... BLU is good for group content (Delve, Skirmish, Incursion, old VW stuff, etc.), has a ton of utility, and you can even farm Dyna/Salvage very well on it.

I think balance is overall decent. THF/DNC/PUP/BST are better solo/farm jobs than SAM/WAR/DRK/DRG, but offer less for group content. RDM got a buff a couple months that makes it nice for some alliance content. SCH and GEO have good utility, GEO especially is strong right now.

The balance that XI needs right now? Well, ninja is terrible, worst job in the game from where I'm sitting. Summoner is a job with a couple of neat tricks but S-E is still lost on what its role should be. It's good for certain alliance content for its unique buffs/debuffs but still feels lost in the shuffle.

These threads always suck because they are always full of DD's complaining that their (niche/solo) job doesn't outdo SAM/WAR/DRK/MNK/etc. Who cares? It misses the real tragedy of FFXI- healing and tanking are not interesting or balanced. White mage is pretty much the default healer, paladin the only tank for the dwindling amount of content that needs a tank. WoW has a much better grasp on making several different tank or healer classes be necessary for clearing content.

PLD/NIN/RUN* should all excel in different situations, but each should be able to tank a wide range of fights. And same with WHM/SCH/RDM. Each one of these jobs should be able to heal a party, while offering strengths for one or the other.

*I know that some players tank on rune fencer. I have yet to see this, I'd love to see some Youtube videos of RUN tanking high-tier content.

Blazed1979 said: »
If they want SAM to be the Skillchain spam job, do not give it the strongest ws's.

Fudo is not stronger on a per-WS basis than DRK's Resolution.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-09-17 15:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
*I know that some players tank on rune fencer. I have yet to see this, I'd love to see some Youtube videos of RUN tanking high-tier content.
Follow me pretty much anywhere.
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2014-09-17 16:13:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Man so much crying about samurai. SAM is balanced very well against MNK and RNG. Samurai is also crippled in fights where you get amnesia; the job does almost no white damage. We struggled against Hyoscya because we had too many samurai. It's generally a balanced job but other DD's aren't useless in comparison, except jobs that are solo-focused. OP talking about BLU being bad? Wha... BLU is good for group content (Delve, Skirmish, Incursion, old VW stuff, etc.), has a ton of utility, and you can even farm Dyna/Salvage very well on it.

I think balance is overall decent. THF/DNC/PUP/BST are better solo/farm jobs than SAM/WAR/DRK/DRG, but offer less for group content. RDM got a buff a couple months that makes it nice for some alliance content. SCH and GEO have good utility, GEO especially is strong right now.

The balance that XI needs right now? Well, ninja is terrible, worst job in the game from where I'm sitting. Summoner is a job with a couple of neat tricks but S-E is still lost on what its role should be. It's good for certain alliance content for its unique buffs/debuffs but still feels lost in the shuffle.

These threads always suck because they are always full of DD's complaining that their (niche/solo) job doesn't outdo SAM/WAR/DRK/MNK/etc. Who cares? It misses the real tragedy of FFXI- healing and tanking are not interesting or balanced. White mage is pretty much the default healer, paladin the only tank for the dwindling amount of content that needs a tank. WoW has a much better grasp on making several different tank or healer classes be necessary for clearing content.

PLD/NIN/RUN* should all excel in different situations, but each should be able to tank a wide range of fights. And same with WHM/SCH/RDM. Each one of these jobs should be able to heal a party, while offering strengths for one or the other.

Blazed1979 said: »
If they want SAM to be the Skillchain spam job, do not give it the strongest ws's.

Fudo is not stronger on a per-WS basis than DRK's Resolution.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-09-17 16:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

We see this whenever SE breaks one job or another. The die hard supporters of that job refuse to see how broken it is, or more importantly how much it's hurting the overall game. Back when RNG's used to blow everything up and deal ridiculous damage to everything, they absolutely believed their job was "balanced" because it was expensive and so deserved to be better then everyone else. Then the same was thought by the NINs and MNKs back before the 2H buff when everything was pretty much dominate by those two and Axe WAR/NIN's. Or more recently when you brought MNK to everything, and MNKs refused to see how that could be disrupting.

FFXI overall is more balanced then ever before. The only real problem is they overbuffed SAM during the last round and now there is little to no reason to bring anything else.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-09-17 16:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, I don't subscribe to all of the whining that samurai is overpowered. It's a strong job, along with monk and ranger, but the goal should be for S-E to tweak other DD jobs like they just did with DRG to do a little more damage.
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-09-17 16:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
These threads always suck because they are always full of DD's complaining that their (niche/solo) job doesn't outdo SAM/WAR/DRK/MNK/etc.
The real big problem right now is that there is no balance between these 4 hardcore DDs that usually are pretty balanced. Sam is just better at current content than Drk, Mnk, or War, period. The job gains TP faster, WSes harder, SCs better, has better gear options, etc. Even during the time of "bandwagon" Sams at 75, Sam wasn't strictly better than War/Drk/Mnk, just easier.
[+]
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-09-17 16:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree that sam is OP atm, but beside fudo, nerfing anything else would just make us change job.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-09-17 16:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, I don't subscribe to all of the whining that samurai is overpowered. It's a strong job, along with monk and ranger, but the goal should be for S-E to tweak other DD jobs like they just did with DRG to do a little more damage.

lol
[+]
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2014-09-17 16:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I would argue FFXI is even less balanced then before, it was getting closer between offensive casting mages and melee for awhile after the magic adjustments, but the weaponskill/skillchain/tp update changed that, good look nuking for more damage then the samurai does with just his skillchains, let alone any melee.
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-09-17 17:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If your looking at just the interaction between the heavy DD jobs, Sam, War, Drk, and Mnk, FFXI was actually really well balanced for a long time. Drk had troubles without Apoc, but with it would be a monster. Until abyssea those 4 jobs tended to hover near each other in output, obviously abyssea *** everything with Crit being so important though. After abyssea it kind of returned to status quo though, Sam, War, Drk, and Mnk were all good in Voidwatch and Legion (maybe not mnk in legion because of crit defense). Sure we had times when Ragnarok Drk was a small bit stronger in Voidwatch, or Yoichi Sam was a little better in Legion, but never just one job dominating the other 3. I would even argue that when Mnk was the most popular DD after SOA came out, it wasn't offensively imbalanced by much. The current iteration of Sam is absolutely the most imbalanced we've ever seen these primary DDs.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-09-17 17:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I think when they look at fixing jobs, they usually tend to look at "what is a problem with the way this job operates?", rather than "how can we make it more popular compared to these others?", though I do think nuking could use an overhaul to some extent. Nukes just either don't come quick enough for the amount of damage they do, or MP becomes an issue. I think it's worth remembering that a lot of content in the old days included full MP restores pretty regularly (green-eyed Dynamis statues, Limbus restoral boxes, etc).
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-09-17 18:26:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »

What do you use RUN for? I think it's a fascinating job. And with Epeolatry there's not really much to the argument that it's not intended to be a tank. S-E actually did a solid thing in adding GEO and RUN in Adoulin. These are two jobs with a lot of potential.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-09-17 18:51:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll tank anything. RUN can tank anything PLD can, it's just a matter of knowing what subjob to use for each event. RUN has a very powerful (60%) Fast Cast effect added to it's full-time buffs, one of which is aoe (up to 3min and 25 seconds, with a 5 min recast), making RUN/NIN better at casting Utsusemi than a NIN, and makes it a lot easier for melees to jump in with /NIN as well. I have 8 second recast on Utsusemi: Ni and Flash, and my Ichi's are borderline instant. On top of that, we have a crazy powerful parry buff that we can fall back on. They also made a lot of our buffs undispellable.

Epeolatry is amazing, but any RUN who understands the job and the enemy they're tanking should be able to get by just fine without it.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-09-17 19:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

karusanyoshi said: »
Asura.Fiv said: »
I would argue FFXI is even less balanced then before, it was getting closer between offensive casting mages and melee for awhile after the magic adjustments, but the weaponskill/skillchain/tp update changed that, good look nuking for more damage then the samurai does with just his skillchains, let alone any melee.
TBH, melee should do more dmg than a caster, it's usually the case in most RPG's that the caster starts out strong, but fizzles out end-game compared to melee attacks. Mages however get utility to make up for their lack of damage - enfeebles, buffs, heals, you name it. All samurai can do is just damage. Not saying that the balance is where it should be - but why would anyone pick a melee job if they can just pick a mage and nuke for more dmg from afar, while being able to heal the team, buff everyone, and sleep adds?

Mages do deal more damage then melee right now, it's the power of buffs that changes this, specifically haste. March's and the haste spell will nearly triple the damage output of a melee while nothing comparable exists for nukers. Nukes are also held back by the fixed global casting lock, no matter how fast you cast you need to wait until you can cast again.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-09-17 19:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »

What do you use RUN for? I think it's a fascinating job. And with Epeolatry there's not really much to the argument that it's not intended to be a tank. S-E actually did a solid thing in adding GEO and RUN in Adoulin. These are two jobs with a lot of potential.

RUN can tank pretty much anything right now. It's about knowing which subs to use and how to gear for it. Anyone who used to tank HNM as a RDM, before the enmity nerf, will find it very familiar. You build up massive amounts of CE via enmity tools while making yourself incredibly hard to kill. The only real danger is if your caught with a physical attack that crits after you've had your defense buffs dispelled.

A note about physical defense down, since some people want to dismiss how severe a penalty to survivability it can be. Myself and Sparth noted earlier how effective stacking defense down was on NM's because it's a additive percentage reduction on the bottom of a fraction, the more you stack the more effective each increment becomes. This also applies to monsters hitting the player, having 50% defense down will double the monsters effective attack.

EX:

Monster: 1200 attack
Player: 850 defense (pulled out of my arse).
1200/850 = 1.411 Ratio.

Your getting hit hard but nothing that's too ridiculous.

Berserk, -25% defense, 850 * .75 = 637
1200/637 = 1.883, a 33.5% increase in monster damage, now your taking a beating but nothing a competent WHM can't handle. You may get instant gibbed by a random DA crit + TP move though.

Berserk and LR with boots, -40% defense, 850 * .6 = 510
1200/510 = 2.343, a 24.4% increase from -25% defense down and a whopping 66% increase from no defense down. Your now gonna get your a$$ handed to you by physical attacks and TP moves.

Now lets assume the monster also has either a TP move, or an additional effect on their attacks that applies a modest 15% defense down.

Going from 40 to 55% defense down has the following effects.
850 * .45 = 382
1200/382 = 3.141, that 15% increase in defense down just increased the NM's damage by 34%. The scaling is similiar to haste.

And 1200 is regular mobs, the kinds we farm for CP. NMs will have 1500 or more attack which make stacking defense down on yourself near suicide. No healer in the game can protect you from a instant or near instant KO. During voidwatch we used fanatics drinks to protect against it, and then the monsters ratio cap was 2.0 now it's 4.0.
By Chyula 2014-09-17 20:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Run sucks end of story, can tank most stuff does mean it can do it effectively. anything Run can tank the sam/war/mnk can do it better, if those can't tank it then pld(a/o) will do it many time better than Run. I really don't know SE's thinking creating a useless job like Run, I guess SE run out of idea and just slap together a useless job to persuade people to buy the new addon.

I like Ccl's suggestion on drk, give it absorb-all(attack included) with a stat increase of 25-30 range maybe and a low recast timer.

as for war, I think the best way to boost it by increasing DA trait to somewhere 20-25%. I always thought DA should be war's specialty but every damn job /war get the same amount which is stupid.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2014-09-17 20:50:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Chyula said: »
anything Run can tank the sam/war/mnk can do it better

Define "better". Better as in if your backline is very capable, they will shave X amount of time from the fight? Or better as in they actually have better survivability? Because the latter is absolutely not true.

As far as DRK goes- Removing the stat decay is such an insultingly obvious adjustment that I can't believe hasn't been done yet.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-09-17 21:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

He obviously means the former, but as far as the latter is concerned, there's very little difference.

I love RUN, have it geared, tried to play it as often as possible when we were using tanks again- it's still not exceptional in any respect.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-17 21:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I'd like to hear a proper breakdown of why RUN is a bad tank because honestly I don't know enough about it. Is it an issue of survivability? difficulty curve? lack of interest? familiarity with PLD being 'the' premier tank? I see a few here or there but the job is largely forgotten amidst the sea of PLD or bust.

I want to know if RUN is just suffering from the same issue GEO is: People don't know ***so they write it off wholesale.

Everyone writes off the job as a tank but few scarcely say why. It doesn't help in this era of XI only a small cluster of people really contribute to the declining base.

RDM tank became popular because of videos that inspired people to pick up the class. RUN is just.... there.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-17 22:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Chyula said: »
as for war, I think the best way to boost it by increasing DA trait to somewhere 20-25%. I always thought DA should be war's specialty but every damn job /war get the same amount which is stupid.

If you're WAR main and don't have DA merits, you're doing it wrong. There's no situation where /WAR should give the same DA as WAR main gets.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2014-09-17 22:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's only a bad tank because it brings very little to the table. It's just as unreasonable as any other tank outside of Decoy Shot situations, fails to mitigate physical damage better than a sturdy DD, and is only on par with PLD for magical damage. It's suitable for most things but excels at nothing, and it's lackluster performance requires three times the attention compared to PLD

And while it's not terribly relevant at the moment, its ability to tank drops off as you add targets, where as PLD's greatest woe in terms of holding multiple enemies is being able to Atonement faster
 Asura.Alucardr
By Asura.Alucardr 2014-09-17 22:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

1) Give Refreshga/Hastega I and II to Rdm with same power as Bards.

2) Adjust Bst, Smn and Pup pet accuracy and damage to match Sam and Mnk dmg output.

3) whatever
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 11 12 13