How Would You Balance The Jobs?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How would you balance the jobs?
How would you balance the jobs?
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-09-24 12:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Valefor.Ophannus said: »
Quote:
VW is a piss poor example of content for job balance.

Now you're just cherry picking. He was refuting your statement which said:
Quote:
SAM went largely unused by most of the playerbase from Scars of Abyssea up till Delve 2/merit BC's.

VW and Provenance were relevant content between Abyssea and Delve II. Just because you deem it as unworthy of balanced content doesn't mean it didn't have an impact on player base perception of job relevance and balance.

It's not cherry picking, SAM was brought to VW because it was a good enough DD to justify bringing it for GKT and JA weaknesses. By that logic, BLM was a top tier DD because you always brought at least 1. Very rarely was SAM the best tool for job, but I have said multiple times that it was a competitive DD and that the jobs were better balanced and that SAM is quite broken right now... You're just missing my point. Most of the things that make SAM top notch right now are not new, and it took a heavy handed buff to Fudo and SC damage for those traits to be recognized in a big way.
I completely disagree with that. I don't know how you set up Voidwatch groups but I was one of the major VW group makers on my server for a time. The way I made groups was 1 DD PT + 1 Mage PT + 1 Proc PT. The DD PT was not brought for procs, it was brought to kill. I allowed Sam, Mnk, War, and Drk in the main PT and none of them were expected to do procs. Blm was brought to the mage PT, this PT was only expected to proc. Sam was good enough to justify being just a DD, Blm was not. Not to mention Yoichi Sam which was the best DD for quite a few fights in VW.

Also you should remember that the Fudo/SC buff also came with a large TP gain change. Zanhasso may not have been broken before, but now it just makes the only job that can 4 hit also have insane DA rates.
By Nazrious 2014-09-24 12:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Why is the benchmark a Mythic-equipped SAM anyway? Can they beat a Tsurumaru SAM or at least come within striking distance?

Yes? Balanced.
No? Not balanced.
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I'm talking about balance should be viewed as nonREM DRK vs. nonREM SAM. The ultimate weapons aren't balanced and shouldn't even be discussed in your typical adjustments discussion.

Can an ideal DRK compete with an ideal SAM? If no, how much is the average loss by? How can we close that gap? Should JAs be adjusted? Fudo nerfed? Is it an events issue?....

Your statements contradict or the first was not very well stated.

My Point was a REM Drk all out should not be in competition with a
Tsu SAM, non REM.

A TSU SAM will devestate a REM drk that can't fully utilize their JAs

Sam is EZ button. thus the bandwagon, but really I don't mind

Give me 3 more wardrobes 80 slots and I will level the jobs "Needed" but also gear them, I don't like playing a Job at %50 it makes my skin crawl and ruins the game for others as well as the reputation of the Job.

Sad thing is a %50 SAM can still stomp stuff like Tojil and easier content. Thus why you get so many LolSams it has nothing to do with other jobs being competitve, it is simply Sams sucking cus they are clueless and undergeared.

anyways

Koga/ Win. Heck I'm pretty sure SE should give SAM a AOE version of Sanguine Blade with an additional effect erase. They can do everything with ease as it is why not heal and remove status ails also.
 Valefor.Ophannus
Server: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2014-09-24 13:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

A SAM heal ability has existed before as Mursame in FFtactics. SAM got the butterlies from Bizen Boat as Tachi:Ageha, it's not unrealistic they'll get Tachi: Murasame, AoE heal/erase!
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-24 13:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
Quote:
VW is a piss poor example of content for job balance.

Now you're just cherry picking. He was refuting your statement which said:
Quote:
SAM went largely unused by most of the playerbase from Scars of Abyssea up till Delve 2/merit BC's.

VW and Provenance were relevant content between Abyssea and Delve II. Just because you deem it as unworthy of balanced content doesn't mean it didn't have an impact on player base perception of job relevance and balance.

It's not cherry picking, SAM was brought to VW because it was a good enough DD to justify bringing it for GKT and JA weaknesses. By that logic, BLM was a top tier DD because you always brought at least 1. Very rarely was SAM the best tool for job, but I have said multiple times that it was a competitive DD and that the jobs were better balanced and that SAM is quite broken right now... You're just missing my point. Most of the things that make SAM top notch right now are not new, and it took a heavy handed buff to Fudo and SC damage for those traits to be recognized in a big way.
I completely disagree with that. I don't know how you set up Voidwatch groups but I was one of the major VW group makers on my server for a time. The way I made groups was 1 DD PT + 1 Mage PT + 1 Proc PT. The DD PT was not brought for procs, it was brought to kill. I allowed Sam, Mnk, War, and Drk in the main PT and none of them were expected to do procs. Blm was brought to the mage PT, this PT was only expected to proc. Sam was good enough to justify being just a DD, Blm was not. Not to mention Yoichi Sam which was the best DD for quite a few fights in VW.

Also you should remember that the Fudo/SC buff also came with a large TP gain change. Zanhasso may not have been broken before, but now it just makes the only job that can 4 hit also have insane DA rates.

Just because you built alliances that way doesn't mean it was the norm. I don't think I ever did VW (at the time it was relevant) where a DD was ever allowed to completely ignore HV+ weaknesses and focus on damage. I saw more than a few SAMs and WARs booted for ignoring staggers and spamming weaponskills. I'm still baffled as to what point you're even trying to make.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-09-24 13:51:11
Link | Quote | Reply

if dd are doing procs, you're doing it wrong, then or now

sam was garbage up until yoichi sam became the way to cope with level correction, and even then it was extremely situational

it only really became good during delve1, when it could easily handle multiple damage types while dealing competitive damage.. and even then, it wasn't top tier DD without koga
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-09-24 13:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is Sam, at the time, was good enough to be brought as not a procer but as a DD. This was not true of Blm. Plenty of alliances used DDs without procs, in my experience only the bad ones were the ones that freaked out about ignoring staggers if you were in the main PT.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-24 13:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
if dd are doing procs, you're doing it wrong, then or now

sam was garbage up until yoichi sam became the way to cope with level correction, and even then it was extremely situational

it only really became good during delve1, when it could easily handle multiple damage types while dealing competitive damage.. and even then, it wasn't top tier DD without koga

DD's never focused on staggers, this is true, but if there was a HV or EV weapon proc, they were expected to hit it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-09-24 13:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is Sam, at the time, was good enough to be brought as not a procer but as a DD. This was not true of Blm. Plenty of alliances used DDs without procs, in my experience only the bad ones were the ones that freaked out about ignoring staggers if you were in the main PT.
if the best argument for your stance is pickup group construction, you might need to reconsider how invested you are in that stance
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-09-24 14:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
if the best argument for your stance is pickup group construction, you might need to reconsider how invested you are in that stance
So we were talking about the game post Abyssea to SOA, what event defined this era? It sure as hell wasn't legion or meebles, it was a pick up event called Voidwatch.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-09-24 14:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So we were talking about the game post Abyssea to SOA, what event defined this era? It sure as hell wasn't legion or meebles, it was a pick up event called Voidwatch.
By Nazrious 2014-09-24 15:36:50
Link | Quote | Reply

A SAM heal ability has existed before as Mursame in FFtactics. SAM got the butterlies from Bizen Boat as Tachi:Ageha, it's not unrealistic they'll get Tachi: Murasame, AoE heal/erase!

Stop, Just stop the one thing that has a better chance than a snowball in hell, would be SE skimming this thread and seeing this as perfect sense.

Edit: Also aside from some limited situations most balance concerns stem from PUG construction. I am sure we can agree that endgame, does it even exist anymore, the player and LS determine what Jobs are used more than what is broken EZ button atm.
 Cerberus.Detzu
Server: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2014-09-24 15:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Creaucent Alazrin said: »
Well everywhere I read at the time it was released said it was att+ not dmg+ so either they changed it or they were just wrong. As far as that att increase I saw then must have been another buff I didnt realise I had on.

9k resos were more than possible hell I was getting 6k+ entropies at that time without SD so reso would be able to.

9k at 99 before the ilvl system cannot happen without a special ability like mighty strikes or SD on Ig Alima.
Plus, as Ccl said, there was a level correction at this time.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-24 15:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Detzu said: »
Creaucent Alazrin said: »
Well everywhere I read at the time it was released said it was att+ not dmg+ so either they changed it or they were just wrong. As far as that att increase I saw then must have been another buff I didnt realise I had on.

9k resos were more than possible hell I was getting 6k+ entropies at that time without SD so reso would be able to.

9k at 99 before the ilvl system cannot happen without a special ability like mighty strikes or SD on Ig Alima.
Plus, as Ccl said, there was a level correction at this time.

As far as we know, there still is in VW. I think the loss of level correction is SoA areas only.
By Nazrious 2014-09-24 17:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Why are u even continuing this?

Horse Died, you beat it, Let the glue dry and walk away.
By Chyula 2014-09-24 17:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree, SE should give sam an absorb HP ws with chance of erase to balance the game further.
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
Server: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2014-09-24 17:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Sanguine_Blade
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-24 17:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

SAM can use Sanguine and Requiescat. All we need now is en-death and everything will be great.
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-09-24 17:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from moves that reduce HP to 1 or things like beastruction. . . If you get hit hard enough to get a 49% damage boost from Scarlet Delirium. My guess is that you didn't try to PDT or MDT or buckle the *** down.

Which means you are total ***.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-24 17:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Urteil said: »
If you get hit hard enough to get a 49% damage boost from Scarlet Delirium. My guess is that you didn't try to PDT or MDT or buckle the *** down.

Which means you are total ***.

Hence why it's a difficult JA to use fully, in VW, the idea was to wait until you took a hit to pop your fanatics.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-09-24 17:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sweet I got a JA that works when I have an invincible temp. In the dumbest content ever designed.

Playerbase: Hey the jobs aren't relevant, can you like fix them? Give them new abilities create some synergy?

SE: Yea. . . that's hard. Here's Voidwatch. /fume!

I wish the JA gave me 05 defense upon activation. It would be an improvement. Or I should hold out and I will one day get Invincible and it will all make sense.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-24 17:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If you think a JA with the potential to increase damage by 49% should be easy to maximize in high end content, I don't think you understand the idea of balance.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-09-24 22:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If you think there should be a single ability that increases damage by 49% you don't understand the idea of balance. The laughable thing is that to get that 49% increase you need to be dropped to 1-2% hp. . .

The ability will either be near impossible to use predictably, or only applicable in narrow situations.

I'd rather the DRK played well and mitigated the damage rather than use that ability putting themselves in danger.

I should be going out of my way to NEVER take that amount of damage. I should be switching into proper sets to mitigate. It is decent idea executed incredibly poorly when other jobs can achieve better results reliably without having to kill themselves.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-24 23:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The concept is pretty solid in theory, DRK's lore is that they translate their suffering into strength. Just because it caps that high doesn't mean you should attempt to take that kind of damage, just that if you use it at the opportune time, the sky is the limit. Plenty of jobs have borderline useless job abilities, SD is a pretty decent JA.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-09-24 23:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Change it to a 5% damage increase for 1 minute every 3 minutes and I'm sold.
By Nazrious 2014-09-24 23:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

JA / spell forced delay bones most of the Jobs in the game.

If SE removed it and simply made it an animation delay it would be fine, Recast and casting time should be determinate spell damage via spammage and simply add the same time in delay to said Jobs which SE feels aught not to be seeking to max damage via white.

This would help Dnc, Drk, Blu, right off the bat and likely other Jobs also.

Would be nice to use all JAs right at fight engagement, rather then right before to take full advantage of the duration.

Brds would also be able to Pianissimo more efficiently, one of the major draw backs to current incursion content IMO. Brd running in to put up songs can get a brd dead even with proper DT gear.
[+]
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-09-24 23:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Change it to a 5% damage increase for 1 minute every 3 minutes and I'm sold.

So you want to nerf it because you don't know how to use it :( ?
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-09-25 00:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course I do. It is still ***.
 Asura.Ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-09-25 00:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course I do. It is still ***.

If it's ***why do you want to make it weaker ? I don't understand ;x
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-09-25 00:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

In the time it took to hit SD you should have hit your mitigation macro.
 Asura.Ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-09-25 00:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

In the time it took to hit SD you should have hit your mitigation macro.

You didn't read did you? So I should hit my damage mitigation before I engage ***or between pull ?

Also whm have unlimited mp now so yeah. I'll keep using it and have fun doing so, you can keep QQ about it being bad and ask marksmanship improvement to fix drk.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13