Homeowners Kicked Out Of House For Child's Drugs

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Homeowners kicked out of house for child's drugs
Homeowners kicked out of house for child's drugs
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By Jetackuu 2014-09-08 14:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
Well, all of this means you guys are in the wrong business. Should have taken those courses to make you a cop, or better yet, a prosecutor, and start robbing helpless people.
Some people have ethics and don't like screwing people over.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-08 14:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
tldr; candlejack supports parents losing their home over a child's misdemeanor
Nope. I do, however, support police officers enforcing the laws that are on the books. You, however, support criminals:
Rapists, child molesters, murderers, thieves, drug dealers, drug addicts...
unjust laws shouldn't be enforced, hence the "faithfully executed" clauses.

But you know, you're a statist so I don't expect you to understand such a thing.

As to this one:

Which would you rather have? A functioning drug house, or a well-funded and equipped police department?
[/quote]

A functioning drug house, as they don't go knocking down my door, shooting people and stealing my ***without accountability.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-08 14:53:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
I would have a sufficiently funded and unequipped police force. No assault weapons, no tanks, no "emphasis" patrols to "prove the need" for more jail space, no unlawful dui or immigration checkpoints, etc. The police have become a bloated fratboy militia, take away their toys and hold them accountable. Just like basically all government spending, they'd do better on less than half.
Wait, do the police force anywhere use tanks on a daily basis? Or assault rifles?

Plus, where are you getting these "unlawful DUI" or "immigration checkpoints (that is not being held or assisting the Immigration Department for the federal or state agencies)"?

The police forces are held more accountable than you think, its just that when 1 officer goes bad or rouge, you automatically assume that they are all bad or rouge.

Well, since in 2013 alone the swat teams were called out to serve over 1200 search warrants, I'd say it's pretty likely that police use assault weapons and APC's on a nearly daily basis somewhere in America. DUI and immigration checkpoints are setup and manned by both local and federal employees, but they are unlawful. It's in violation of the 4th amendment to detain people without reasonable suspicion. Being on the road at 2AM or within 100 miles of a border is NOT reasonable suspicion.

Is that nationwide searches? If so, that's not too much, that's only 3-4 searches done all over the nation per day.

Quote:
Do you live under a rock? Out of all the officer shootings in recent memory, the only cop I can remember actually getting fired was the one who shot up a minivan full of kids in New Mexico.
So, are you saying that police never makes mistakes? Are you saying that every cop that ever makes a mistake should automatically be fired for making a mistake?

If we do what you want them to do, there would be no cops out there, as they would have been fired in less than a year of service.

You may enjoy that, but not me.

3-4 times per day, SWAT teams are rolled out to serve search warrants for non-violent minor drug offenses. They break down people's doors, kill their pets, rip sleeping children from their beds and hogtie them... Often they don't even have a break order when they serve those warrants which makes their use of SWAT tactics blatantly illegal. Often they find out after those invasions that THEY'RE AT THE WRONG ADDRESS.

Cops overreact and break the law constantly. Do a little youtube search, it's appalling. If a police officer breaks the law, they should be held to the same standards as any private citizen if not a higher one. They almost never are. A police officer that beat the ***out of a 10 year old kid for refusing to leave a public park where he was LAWFULLY skateboarding lost his job, but was then hired by the city next door. That's after being caught falsifying a report, lying to his supervisors, and lying to a judge. Should a cop that assaults a minor, destroys property, abuses their power, uses their standing to intimidate, falsifies legal documents, and commits perjury not be AT LEAST tried for those crimes?

The police aren't military, they don't possess the right training and should not possess the tools. If you give a kid a toy, they're going to play with it.

And the idea that we NEED as many cops as we have is ridiculous, if we weed out the bad ones via accountability and make the profession honorable again, we'd be in a lot better shape.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-08 15:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

3-4 times per day, SWAT teams are rolled out to serve search warrants for non-violent minor drug offenses. They break down people's doors, kill their pets, rip sleeping children from their beds and hogtie them... Often they don't even have a break order when they serve those warrants which makes their use of SWAT tactics blatantly illegal. Often they find out after those invasions that THEY'RE AT THE WRONG ADDRESS.
Often is a good word for "not sure how many times this happens"

Tell us this, does this happen all of the time, some of the time, usually, or very rarely? My money is on "very rarely" because the police force is not the "Keystone Cops" and run around the place

I'm sure you think that the police force is like the video in the spoiler. I can assure you that they are not like that, and I suggest that you don't confuse reality with Hollywood.

Cops overreact and break the law constantly. Do a little youtube search, it's appalling. If a police officer breaks the law, they should be held to the same standards as any private citizen if not a higher one. They almost never are. A police officer that beat the ***out of a 10 year old kid for refusing to leave a public park where he was LAWFULLY skateboarding lost his job, but was then hired by the city next door. That's after being caught falsifying a report, lying to his supervisors, and lying to a judge. Should a cop that assaults a minor, destroys property, abuses their power, uses their standing to intimidate, falsifies legal documents, and commits perjury not be AT LEAST tried for those crimes?

You are correct. Police officers that do that should not be allowed back in the police force. Why don't you protest to the police chief and get the guy fired then.

And the idea that we NEED as many cops as we have is ridiculous, if we weed out the bad ones via accountability and make the profession honorable again, we'd be in a lot better shape.
I agree. However, respect for the police needs to be given because a lot of good officers are being demeaned by the very public they are out to serve.

So, tell us this, what is the ratio of good cops vs. bad cops in your mind.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-08 15:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Tell us this, does this happen all of the time, some of the time, usually, or very rarely? My money is on "very rarely" because the police force is not the "Keystone Cops" and run around the place

I'm sure you think that the police force is like the video in the spoiler. I can assure you that they are not like that, and I suggest that you don't confuse reality with Hollywood.

You are correct. Police officers that do that should not be allowed back in the police force. Why don't you protest to the police chief and get the guy fired then.

I agree. However, respect for the police needs to be given because a lot of good officers are being demeaned by the very public they are out to serve.
No, respect for the police needs to be earned. One of the ways to earn that respect is to be less tolerant of the bad cops than the general public is.
This appears to be the exception, rather than the rule. Behavior and actions which absolutely should not be tolerated are being tolerated.

A bad cop is worse than a criminal performing the same act; not only have they violated the law, but the public trust.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-08 15:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Tell us this, does this happen all of the time, some of the time, usually, or very rarely? My money is on "very rarely" ...

...I can assure you that they are not like that, and I suggest that you don't confuse reality with Hollywood.

If it happens once, it's too much, period. You can assure me of all the things you want, your assurances are worthless as you have no expertise or experience.

Quote:

Locally we just ousted a bad chief of police and have started a citizen's initiative. We also now have a private citizen on both the judicial review and police review boards. I've been involved since day 1. Not everyone who criticizes them just sits and waits.

Quote:
So, tell us this, what is the ratio of good cops vs. bad cops in your mind.

Good v Bad is your Hollywood analogy. People are not purely good or bad and neither are police. My experiences are localized, but at least half of the police officers I've dealt with in my life were pushing the line of professionalism from the second they made contact with me. Several were stepping into criminal territory.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-08 15:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
No, respect for the police needs to be earned. One of the ways to earn that respect is to be less tolerant of the bad cops than the general public is.
This appears to be the exception, rather than the rule. Behavior and actions which absolutely should not be tolerated are being tolerated.

A bad cop is worse than a criminal performing the same act; not only have they violated the law, but the public trust.
I fully agree with you that a cop should be held at higher standards and receive higher punishment for breaking the law.

I don't think that most police departments are less tolerant towards officers who break the law. But I don't think we should automatically hang an officer for making a mistake. Like Jassik wants to do.

Good v Bad is your Hollywood analogy. People are not purely good or bad and neither are police. My experiences are localized, but at least half of the police officers I've dealt with in my life were pushing the line of professionalism from the second they made contact with me. Several were stepping into criminal territory.
Somehow, I get the feeling that the police officers who you have dealt with in your lifetime were the ones pulling you over because you were speeding and/or driving unsafely.

I guess you don't see your own biases in this case then.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-08 15:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Somehow, I get the feeling that the police officers who you have dealt with in your lifetime were the ones pulling you over because you were speeding and/or driving unsafely.

I guess you don't see your own biases in this case then.

LOL... talk about assumptions and biases... I drive an econobox and never speed. I'm sure these 2 guys were doing SOMETHING wrong, why would a cop ever treat an innocent person like that?

YouTube Video Placeholder

Just FYI, neither of those officers were fired.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-08 15:44:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Those closed captions are awful.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-08 15:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Those closed captions are awful.

I tried to find a clean version of the clip, but that's as close as I got.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-08 16:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

I fully agree with you that a cop should be held at higher standards and receive higher punishment for breaking the law.

I don't think that most police departments are less tolerant towards officers who break the law. But I don't think we should automatically hang an officer for making a mistake. Like Jassik wants to do.
It depends on the size and magnitude of the mistake. Yes, people make mistakes; I would argue that I've made my fair share. That doesn't necessarily mean that I get a waiver on the consequences.

With today's ability to record and share, there is ample evidence of police misconduct. However, information regarding prosecution or investigation of police misconduct is not nearly as common, or available. That can be for multiple reasons, but it does not change the fact that there is a disparity between the two, and one that reflects poorly on the police force.

Hopefully the concept that an officer who is misbehaving/breaking the law is putting every other officer's life in greater danger will finally sink in.
By Artemicion 2014-09-08 16:13:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I think part of the problem is not so much public video capture or even if police were to mandate cameras in use for officers on duty, but rather the fact that internal affairs is a laughable conflict of interest. The police police the police. There's no moderation, no oversight or accountability; only self-interest.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2014-09-08 18:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

i think all anybody is suggesting is that the ability of police departments to police (nyuk nyuk) themselves routinely leads to disappointing results, and while it's all well and good to say they ought to be held to a higher standard that will never, ever happen without severely limiting departments' discretion to discipline officers internally
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-09 03:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I came across these stories last week.
Authorities claim handcuffed man shot himself in the chest, ruled ‘suicide’
Quote:
coroner’s report obtained exclusively by NBC News directly contradicts the police version of how a 22-year-old black man died in the back seat of a Louisiana police cruiser earlier this year -- but still says the man, whose hands were cuffed behind his back, shot himself.

In a press release issued March 3, the day he died, the Louisiana State Police said Victor White III apparently shot himself in an Iberia Parish police car. According to the police statement, White had his hands cuffed behind his back when he shot himself in the back.

But according to the full final report of the Iberia Parish coroner, which was released nearly six months later and obtained exclusively by NBC News, White was shot in the front, not the back. The bullet entered his right chest and exited under his left armpit. White was left-handed, according to family members. According to the report, the forensic pathologist found gunshot residue in the wound, but not the sort of stippling that a close-range shot can sometimes produce. He also found abrasions on White’s face.

And yet, despite the contradictions – and even though White’s hands were never tested for gunpowder residue – the Iberia Parish coroner still supported the central contention of the initial police statement issued back in March. Dr. Carl Ditch ruled that White shot himself, and declared his death a suicide.

Man charged with street robbery that happened while he was in jail
Quote:
A public defender who represented Threatt this week says he laid out jail records before a judge Monday showing that his client had what might have been the best possible alibi.

But prosecutors said the issue should be sorted out at trial, according to the public defenders office, and the judge declined to release Threatt (he did get $25,000 shaved off his bail).

If you would like more individual stories, statistics, or other data:
CATO Institute for Police Misconduct has been around for several years and tries to keep track of police misconduct throughout the US.
EFF (mainly dealing with electronic surveillance) and ACLU also try to keep track of policing issues
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2014-09-09 05:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Lynchilles said: »
I live two blocks away from this family. I can tell you with absolute certitude there is more going on than what CNN is reporting. It has been going on for years and everyone in our neighborhood knows it. PPD are using the son's latest indiscretions to finally try and shut it all down. PPD isn't going to make public what's going on until after the formal indictments since they can build some cases for additional arrests after the evidence is gathered from their home.

If that's true then the authorities should be able to earn a proper conviction and THEN confiscate the property. As it stands now no one has been convicted of anything except for the son's no contest to $40 of heroin.

It's not hard to get a warrant. It's not hard to get a conviction with the proper evidence. The authorities just want free stuff without having to work for it. They're no different than the looters in Ferguson, MO.
By Kell 2014-09-09 16:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
It's not hard to get a warrant. It's not hard to get a conviction with the proper evidence. The authorities just want free stuff without having to work for it. They're no different than the looters in Ferguson, MO.

Exactly. If they keep going the way they're going, with companies like Desert Snow helping to push their methods of theft, they're going to end up with a self fulfilling prophecy on their hands. After all, their current methods worked out so very well for the British over 200 years ago.

Citizens will assume the police are there to rob them, and they will defend themselves and their property, most likely making use of their 2nd amendment rights. Maybe Indiana has the right idea with their new law permitting their citizens to defend themselves.

IDK. A friend of mine in the Army has actually said he wouldn't be surprised if the military has to put down the police at some point in this country.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-09 19:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Tell us this, does this happen all of the time, some of the time, usually, or very rarely? My money is on "very rarely" because the police force is not the "Keystone Cops"....
Quote:
These increasingly frequent raids, 40,000 per year by one estimate,
source

Quote:
In 1981, for example, there were 3,000 no knock warrants executed in America. In 2005, just 24 years later, this number skyrocketed to over 50,000 no knock raids.
source

Quote:
• Since the law passed in 2009, the data have consistently shown that on average there are about 4.5 SWAT raids each day in Maryland.

• Prince George’s County alone averaged well over one SWAT raid each day in 2012 (510 in total).

• In 2012, nearly 90 percent of the SWAT raids in Maryland were to serve search warrants.

• About two of every three SWAT raids used forced entry.
Source

Quote:
Peter Kraska, a professor at Eastern Kentucky University’s School of Justice Studies, estimates that SWAT teams were deployed about 3,000 times in 1980 but are now used around 50,000 times a year. Some cities use them for routine patrols in high-crime areas. Baltimore and Dallas have used them to break up poker games. In 2010 New Haven, Connecticut sent a SWAT team to a bar suspected of serving under-age drinkers. That same year heavily-armed police raided barber shops around Orlando, Florida; they said they were hunting for guns and drugs but ended up arresting 34 people for “barbering without a licence”. Maricopa County, Arizona sent a SWAT team into the living room of Jesus Llovera, who was suspected of organising cockfights. Police rolled a tank into Mr Llovera’s yard and killed more than 100 of his birds, as well as his dog.
source

I could go on....
 Phoenix.Michiiru
Server: Phoenix
user: Michiiru
By Phoenix.Michiiru 2014-09-10 00:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like the cities need to get their ***together.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-10 05:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

What justification is there to send a swat team to serve a warrant? I mean I could understand for a child abduction or suspected murderer, but that's about it.

Then again what's the justification for most of these swat teams even existing?

for the children!
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-10 12:38:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
What justification is there to send a swat team to serve a warrant? I mean I could understand for a child abduction or suspected murderer, but that's about it.

for the children!

Existence is necessary, proximity is not. Just because there is a police department in a given city doesn't mean every city needs a swat team. 2-3 per state depending on the physical size of the state is probably more than enough for them to be active enough to be experienced and not overworked. Swat should be deployed only for full on riots or hostage situations. Police also need to get it out of their heads that catching the crim is the only thing that matters. Remember when police would back off and just monitor a situation instead of making it worse by charging in with guns out? We're giving military equipment to non-military personnel who aren't trained in actual combat technique. The military is trained specifically not to escalate situations, unlike the police who have been recorded aiming assault rifles at crowds of protesters.
By fonewear 2014-09-10 13:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this the Ferguson thread ?
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-10 13:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Which would you rather have? A functioning drug house, or a well-funded and equipped police department?
I would like a well-funded and equipped police department that doesn't rely on civil forfeitures as a source of income.

If the Philadelphia Police Department has to rely on civil forfeitures, and not on tax revenue from the state or city for income, then there is something really wrong with the state legislation.

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!

YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR!

BOB, TELL THE MAN WHAT HE'S WON!

*ahem*

Sorry, that's my first contribution to this one. But that is absolutely true. Our state legislature is *** six ways from Sunday on a Philly street corner.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-10 13:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

for the children!

Existence is necessary, proximity is not. Just because there is a police department in a given city doesn't mean every city needs a swat team. 2-3 per state depending on the physical size of the state is probably more than enough for them to be active enough to be experienced and not overworked. Swat should be deployed only for full on riots or hostage situations. Police also need to get it out of their heads that catching the crim is the only thing that matters. Remember when police would back off and just monitor a situation instead of making it worse by charging in with guns out? We're giving military equipment to non-military personnel who aren't trained in actual combat technique. The military is trained specifically not to escalate situations, unlike the police who have been recorded aiming assault rifles at crowds of protesters.
I said most, not all. But I could argue for all: isn't that what the national guard is supposed to be for?

hostage situations: fbi?

I can understand big cities but damn.

But I think we agree on this, just wanted to clarify.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-10 13:20:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Michiiru said: »
Sounds like the cities need to get their ***together.

Y'arr. Makes me happy I'm a township resident serviced by the state police...
By fonewear 2014-09-10 13:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Video semi related:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-10 13:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hostage situations should be under the FBI's jurisdiction, unless it spans across state lines.

SWAT teams are generally local in nature, while FBI is supposed to be national only.

Also, I would understand 2-3 SWAT forces per state, and only limited to the major cities of that state (obviously each capital should have 1 SWAT team).

isn't that what the national guard is supposed to be for?
National Guard is supposed to be for defense/assistance against natural threats. Flood happens, the National Guard comes in to rescue us. Mexico drug lords wage war in US border towns, National Guard shouldn't really be involved (should be the military in that case).
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-10 13:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Serendipitously, when it comes to Pennsylvania, the same thing that keeps cell coverage from being high quality in the middle and NE/NW corners of the state (the "T", so to speak) is the same thing that makes politics, policies, legislature and legislation in this state a hot mess.

You have Pittsburgh area on the Central/Southwest, the Philly area in the southeast, and then a sparse population throughout. So you get some really conflicting ideas about how to spend money, and basically no one wants to raise taxes, but everyone really needs money. So governors have to try to cut because raising taxes is the kiss of death...and any time you cut anything, you're going to piss off a serious portion of the population...OR your financial supporters (say hi, Corbett and Fracking Industry bed buddies!)

It's an absolute mess and our state politicians don't help things. One of the only full-time state legislative bodies in the country, and every last one of them has discretionary funding and employees that they 100% do not need.

Many of these people have people at all of their local offices (of which they all have several), and that person is there to JUST help people in their district deal with the DOT. I realize handling your own driver's license or registration renewal isn't the most fun thing in the world, but if you can't handle it yourself, you probably shouldn't be allowed to drive a two-ton death machine on wheels.

Just one example.
By fonewear 2014-09-10 13:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

If we are the police who will police the police? I don't know Coast Guard ? Homer Simpson.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-10 13:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Matter of disagreement but aside from the point: police forces are over militarized.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-10 13:34:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Hostage situations should be under the FBI's jurisdiction, unless it spans across state lines.

SWAT teams are generally local in nature, while FBI is supposed to be national only.

Also, I would understand 2-3 SWAT forces per state, and only limited to the major cities of that state (obviously each capital should have 1 SWAT team).

In Pennsylvania, for instance, should be Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Erie*. The state police's groups should be handling the rest.

*Maybe Erie, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because some crazy ***happens up there.