Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-07-19 13:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Wordspoken said: »
Cerberus.Conagh said: »
An yet when you ask a GM for assistance, they state you should go online and check forums or guides for assistance.

And they won't ban people from 11 for using windower, there was a survey that showed the number of people using windower and it would have cripled SE to ban them all.

And yes, SE does indeed have a method to see if you are using windower or Vanilla POL and they have not acted on that ***yet.
May I have link to this? I'm interested in those numbers.

Only ones I can find is

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/3596-TOS-clarification?p=61492&viewfull=1#post61492

but I can't get the IP address to stick so I'm having a few internet issues here.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-07-19 14:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

http://web.archive.org/web/20110316043206/http://www.jpbutton.com/?page_id=3113

Its Archived Duh.

Quote:
A frequent complaint amongst English speaking players is the continued support of the PS2 version. FFXI was originally designed for the PS2 and then ported over to additional systems. However, as time has passed and Sony has stopped selling the hard drive needed to play FFXI in the North American market, many people feel the PS2 version is well past its prime and it is time to focus more on the next generation consoles and the capabilities of computers currently on the market. It should be noted that the PS2 and hard drive are still available brand new in Japan.

The survey done by Michael’s Site showed that nearly 30% of Japanese players play FFXI using the PS2 version. Also, as we’ve discussed on JP Button before, the use of third-party tools and plugins by Window version users continues to be a source of contention between players.

To take a closer look at these issues, we asked players what system they primarily use and about the use of third-party tools and plugins.

Quote:
69% of players who use the Windows version of FFXI reported using Windower. This seems exceedingly high for a game that prohibits the use of third-party software and could be punished by banning without warning. However, Square Enix does not actively go after players who use Windower so there doesn’t seem to be much incentive to stick with the official SE Windowed Mode.

Next, we asked people why they use Windower. Respondents were allowed to choose more than one answer.

You're numbers!

Enjoy now next request
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-07-19 14:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry I missed this at he bottom of the page . . .

Quote:
71% of men reported using Windower. However, only 59% of women said they used it, a whopping 10% under the average.

Thats a rather interesting statistic . . . . we have women who play on this game?!
By Elwynbelwyn 2014-07-19 14:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Great, now all I need is a way to change automaton attachment sets like that!

(Will someone please think of the poor PUPs? We don't get automaton skill-up scrolls for sparks, and even Sakura and Moogle won't help our automatons!)
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-07-19 15:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Sorry I missed this at he bottom of the page . . .

Quote:
71% of men reported using Windower. However, only 59% of women said they used it, a whopping 10% under the average.

Thats a rather interesting statistic . . . . we have women who play on this game?!

Prob they considered all mithras as "woman".
[+]
By Anjou 2014-07-19 16:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

As someone who plays on ubuntu and doesn't own windows, I welcome this update! Goodbye 4 macro stoneskins, phalanx, etc!
[+]
 Bismarck.Inference
Server: Bismarck
user: Inference
By Bismarck.Inference 2014-07-19 17:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
Watch this be the means to an end... And that end is to systematically ban ppl from using things like gearswap.
Before they had legit excuse for using it (which according to TOS, is cheating)...
But after this update... Which, let's be honest, should have been in the game after they realized that changing gear was a thing players did... Silly SE, thinking that not changing gear for stuff is a thing...

I wouldn't be surprised if after this, they begin to super crack down on ppl using windower and other 3rd party tools.

XI just doesn't have the playerbase to support these kinds of bannings anymore. They've been comfortable with these sorts of things for a while and I doubt they're going to further mutilate their subscription numbers just so people who don't use Windower can stand on their moral highground saying how right they were and how unskilled we were for using Timers and stuff.

If I get banned for using Windower, well enjoy the game and I get my life back.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-07-19 17:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

^
pretty much that. If I get banned or hacked at this point; was a fun ride.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-07-19 17:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

If we get banned we will go play ffxiv!
Oh, wait...
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-07-19 17:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
If we get banned we will go play ffxiv!
Oh, wait...
lol I had 0 fun on that game. Holy ***that game sucks. I had more fun on old XIV than I did 2.0
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-07-19 17:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Elwynbelwyn said: »
Great, now all I need is a way to change automaton attachment sets like that!

(Will someone please think of the poor PUPs? We don't get automaton skill-up scrolls for sparks, and even Sakura and Moogle won't help our automatons!)

You can literally afk on reives with puppet deployed and it will get skillups (as of a few updates ago) and will never aggro a mob... Why would you waste sparks/gil on scrolls when you can set your puppet out and go make a sandwich?
 Leviathan.Krysten
Server: Leviathan
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2014-07-19 18:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont gear swap and am not about to start lol.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-07-19 18:20:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Selena gomez doesnt need gearswap. Can be naked full time.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-07-20 22:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Krysten said: »

plz quit and go to XIV
[+]
 Leviathan.Blittzjr
user: tripletee
By Leviathan.Blittzjr 2014-07-20 22:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-07-20 23:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

what is your reasoning, functionally speaking, for not changing gear? lets call high ffxi efficiency "professional" for second. while i personally have nothing against you, professionally, id never invite you to anything lol.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-07-21 00:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It's too difficult of course. I just want to play for fun!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-07-21 00:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

we can at least play pokemon together!
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-07-21 00:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe if you changed gear krysten, youd meet the requirements of oboro's quests, lol.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-07-21 00:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »

plz quit and go to XIV
I really miss being able to gear swap, and is something I really miss from XI. The complexity of not just having 1 set, but a set for each action you take. Even different steps depending on the stage of the action, before casting, during casting, and after you're done casting. The complexity and depth of the XI armor system was amazing, and over the years it went deeper to give you more reasons to pursue and increase performance. It's not even the credit of windower that we had this, yes it made it easier and more practical to do (at least when I was still playing), but the developers actually put this gear in the game to do this. There was reason for each piece of gear in the game, that made you break down your actions step by step and determine if this piece of gear helps me during this stage or not.

XIV threw away this system when I was actually hoping that it would expand and/or enhance it further, because I thought it was such a great system that had to have taken so much hard work from dozens of teams of people over the years to create, update and maintain. XI could have easily changed it's design after the first few years to be like other games out there, but it not only stayed with it but enhanced the depth of the gear changing system over the years.

It really is a great system the developers might have not even started with the intent of it being so flexible with thousands of different stats to adjust certain qualities of your character, but they went with it and made it something really enjoyable for me, and was something I really appreciated while I was playing.

It not only helped me gear my character better, but ultimately it made me understand my job more. Learning about what each gear piece does, and what each of those stats do, and how they influence me just made me think, test and experiment, learn, and love my job even more.

Did a quick search, and there seems to be 2280 unique stats, sorry if I don't know the correct term for this.

XIV 2.0+'s system, although complex when it comes to balancing and calculating your WD, DEX, Crit, Determination, and skill speed as a bard... those are only 5 attributes when XI had thousands and thousands... The design choice just isn't as interesting as how complex and deep XI went.
[+]
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-07-21 01:08:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Littleanimal said: »
Wow amazing, This has no benefit for any of you but you still feel the need to *** about something. Not sure why you people assume we vanilla players don't do simple things such as gear swapping, I've been using multiple macros for gear swaps for years. I never called anyone an elitist but hell there sure are a lot of *** around here. It's not as if we like having limited options compared to an enhanced game, we just simply use what we have and I don't see why you people have to insult someone who wishes to play with the tools that are given to them.

Was a post deleted from this thread or something? I'm having trouble finding what was so offensive to you.

No one has suggested that all vanilla users are playing without changing gear. More than that, no one is criticizing the people who "wish to play with the tools that are given to them." The only comments being made here are about the people who do not play with the tools that are given to them and who become indignant when others refuse to invite them to content that they are (mathematically speaking) unable to complete.

The "benefit" to the rest of us, as you put it, is that this change will hopefully encourage more of the players who don't currently change gear to explore the macro system and reach a level of competency at which they can actually participate in current content. The more competent players there are on a server, the more active and healthy that server will become. Fewer people feeling left out, fewer headaches for savvier players like you and me. Everyone wins. :]
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-07-21 01:27:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Till you can play multiples chars without windower, doing any action against windower is hurting the company itself.
Sounds like a comfort blanket...

But with trolling aside, do you honestly think SE is above such an action?
Hah!
How naïve!

(And also, check your TOS, that is against the rules. I don't agree or disagree fully either way... But it IS technically cheating to use bots to box... Though of course you are not Shiva either.)
1. not everyone who multiboxea uses bots, but hey.

2. technically using this site is a violation of the ToS and cheating, so is wiki. So shut up.
If you're referring to the "third party" part of the ToS, it is vague for a reason.

GMs will always (this is the policy) advise players to either seek help from players or from "online communities/forums".
They aren't allowed to give a specific website name, so they have to keep it vague.

As for the use and existence of Windower, they're "fine" with it ever since the playerbase reached 5 digits. They're implementing QoL stuff for console/vanilla players, nothing to complain about, really.
 Asura.Triffle
Server: Asura
user: Triffle
By Asura.Triffle 2014-07-21 03:01:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm confused. Do people in your servers actually not change gear? I play on Xbox and occasionally vanilla PC, but I still have macros and so does everyone else I know that plays the same way. The only annoying part is chaining a bunch of pages with /macro set #. This will cut down on that by a lot.

Seriously though, you guys actually know people who don't gear swap? This is really the first time I've ever heard of that.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2014-07-21 03:02:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, I just don't associate with them.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-07-21 03:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Till you can play multiples chars without windower, doing any action against windower is hurting the company itself.
Sounds like a comfort blanket...

But with trolling aside, do you honestly think SE is above such an action?
Hah!
How naïve!

(And also, check your TOS, that is against the rules. I don't agree or disagree fully either way... But it IS technically cheating to use bots to box... Though of course you are not Shiva either.)
1. not everyone who multiboxea uses bots, but hey.

2. technically using this site is a violation of the ToS and cheating, so is wiki. So shut up.
If you're referring to the "third party" part of the ToS, it is vague for a reason.

GMs will always (this is the policy) advise players to either seek help from players or from "online communities/forums".
They aren't allowed to give a specific website name, so they have to keep it vague.

As for the use and existence of Windower, they're "fine" with it ever since the playerbase reached 5 digits. They're implementing QoL stuff for console/vanilla players, nothing to complain about, really.

The forums on this site isn't what violates the ToS. It's the fact that the data that is collected and updated from each of the servers auction houses is done via bot.

But you don't hear the people who cry foul about windower breaking the rules also saying that the AH function of this site also needs to not be used.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-21 03:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Yay no more excuse from the console/vanilla community to not gear swap lol
This is my playstyle!

It's my 13 dollars!

Omg get a life you elitist ***!

I am strong enough without doing it!

It's the player's ability that matters!

What is a macro?

Will always exist.
Pick one!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2014-07-21 14:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

its offensive to me as a player when a person joins a part and doesnt gear change, even more so to try to justify it functionally. these people in question tend to get upset when gear options in macros are discussed that they dont use, and act like their concrete opinions are religious in a sense.

its not fair to me if someone who holds concrete beliefs theyre willing to fight tooth and nail for that actually negatively affect the performance of a party. i joined a friends tojil recently who had a monk that used asuran fists as their primary ws, and when questioned, they said "it hits 8 times, so it will do the most damage" and went on to get offended when i posted the parse of them parsing 15% under the cor, and 40% under me(50% if you include skillchain damage) for a total of just 10%. hell i even did 4% damage on my sch mule nuking between stuns.

this is unnacceptable and there is absolutely no right or room for complaining about why no one invites you or that you cant get into ***. beating around the bush about this is completely absurd.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-07-21 15:07:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Yay no more excuse from the console/vanilla community to not gear swap lol
This is my playstyle!

It's my 13 dollars!

Omg get a life you elitist ***!

I am strong enough without doing it!

It's the player's ability that matters!

What is a macro?

Will always exist.

"Oh, I did gear swap, you just missed it. I use /lockstyle."
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-07-21 15:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Bukadan said: »
its offensive to me as a player when a person joins a part and doesnt gear change, even more so to try to justify it functionally. these people in question tend to get upset when gear options in macros are discussed that they dont use, and act like their concrete opinions are religious in a sense.

its not fair to me if someone who holds concrete beliefs theyre willing to fight tooth and nail for that actually negatively affect the performance of a party. i joined a friends tojil recently who had a monk that used asuran fists as their primary ws, and when questioned, they said "it hits 8 times, so it will do the most damage" and went on to get offended when i posted the parse of them parsing 15% under the cor, and 40% under me(50% if you include skillchain damage) for a total of just 10%. hell i even did 4% damage on my sch mule nuking between stuns.

this is unnacceptable and there is absolutely no right or room for complaining about why no one invites you or that you cant get into ***. beating around the bush about this is completely absurd.

See MNK using Asuran fists with that response, my sch would have Warp2'd him out.

I'm a *** like that
[+]