Command to Change Multiple Pieces of Gear
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Asura.Triffle
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Triffle
By Asura.Triffle 2014-07-25 15:42:37
Link | Quote | Reply

20 sets can do a lot. Of course if switching out like a ring or two, you can always use the old method of making macros, but this will help a lot with big stuff like WS, pre-cast sets, ect.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-07-25 15:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

lhova said: »
I know I'm probably the only one who doesn't understand what Byrth is referring to but what do you mean by packet? My ideal situation of this system would be that I'm able make sets for my Sam for TP and WS which let's assume changes all equipment peices. SO the macro would ideally equip WS set, WS, equip TP set (with perhaps so wait command in there) and I'm off and getting tp again. If this is the case this would be HUGE for console players since the lag can br a real issue and sometimes hitting the 2nd macro to quick can lead to the first macro not executing.

A Packet is an incoming data burst that influences behavior within the programme IE: Incoming Data - Equip body.

It appears rather than just having 1 packet for all 16 slots, it will more likely be 16 individual commands to equip the armor (think of 1 command as 1 packet).

If they made it a ID for All the slots thats 1/16th the data and in theory less lag. (Over simplified but the easiest way to explain it i think)
By Pantafernando 2014-07-25 16:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I think just having 20 sets isnt really a problem. Looking the interface to make a set, it seems so intuitive and fast. Just need to "equip" a few pieces to make a set. Should take just few secs to create a full set from naked.
 Lakshmi.Bleu
Server: Lakshmi
user: Bleu
By Lakshmi.Bleu 2014-07-25 16:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Best update ever. Seriously, thank you SE.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Bleu
user: Bleu
By Lakshmi.Bleu 2014-07-25 16:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Lakshmi.Bleu said: »
True, but I doubt any serious users of Gearswap will switch to using this instead, unless SE allows players to set up precast/midcast sets.

You mean like this?

/equip set1
/ma "Meteor" <t>
/equip set2

The way macros work today, set1 would be precast, and set2 would be swapped to as soon as casting started. This just doesn't "work" today because macros don't have room for two sets of gear.

Or am I missing something here?

That would work to a degree, but it'd be dependent on having a /wait timer inbetween. Personally, I dislike using the /wait command because I tend to ride my macros, and using another macro while the first macro is in mid /wait causes the macro to stop. And oftentimes, the minimum /wait time of 1 second is still too long.

Gearswap is much more reliable because it reacts to packets, instead of just waiting set periods of time before performing actions. So as I said, while this update will be good for people who don't use Windower, it certainly won't lure anyone away from Gearswap.

Not arguing, legitimate question on my end. In my example above "set1" should be precast that's equiped when you start to cast. "set2" is effectively midcast because it's equiped AFTER the casting started, right? Or is that not true since it's too fast? I get that an AFTERcast would require a wait, but I usually prefer a manual macro to reset gear instead of aftercast.

Also I'm not sure what the other person meant about using <stnpc> to avoid a wait?
By Pantafernando 2014-07-25 16:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

True, but I doubt any serious users of Gearswap will switch to using this instead, unless SE allows players to set up precast/midcast sets.

You mean like this?

/equip set1
/ma "Meteor" <t>
/equip set2

The way macros work today, set1 would be precast, and set2 would be swapped to as soon as casting started. This just doesn't "work" today because macros don't have room for two sets of gear.

That would work to a degree, but it'd be dependent on having a /wait timer inbetween. Personally, I dislike using the /wait command because I tend to ride my macros, and using another macro while the first macro is in mid /wait causes the macro to stop. And oftentimes, the minimum /wait time of 1 second is still too long.

Gearswap is much more reliable because it reacts to packets, instead of just waiting set periods of time before performing actions. So as I said, while this update will be good for people who don't use Windower, it certainly won't lure anyone away from Gearswap.

Not arguing, legitimate question on my end. In my example above "set1" should be precast that's equiped when you start to cast. "set2" is effectively midcast because it's equiped AFTER the casting started, right? Or is that not true since it's too fast? I get that an AFTERcast would require a wait, but I usually prefer a manual macro to reset gear instead of aftercast.

I believe you will need wait even to activate the midcast gear. Using <stpc> or <stnpc> will automatically produce a delay.
By Pantafernando 2014-07-25 16:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You mean like this?

/equip set1
/ma "Meteor" <t>
/equip set2

Also I'm not sure what the other person meant about using <stnpc> to avoid a wait?

When you use <stpc> or <stnpc> you macro command automatically break the sequence to wait you input before processing the next line. If you dont use neither this or wait, i think the game doesnt process a line. I once use a single macro to swap ws gear, ws comand and right after swap tp piece. I remember that didnt work. I ended with ws gear after the ws, meaning the tp swap was ignored, iirc. It was solved after i insert a wait after the ws command.
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2014-07-25 16:30:24
Link | Quote | Reply

This will be a nice addition to the game and I hope everyone, including myself, will take advantage of it.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-07-25 16:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
I know I'm probably the only one who doesn't understand what Byrth is referring to but what do you mean by packet? My ideal situation of this system would be that I'm able make sets for my Sam for TP and WS which let's assume changes all equipment peices. SO the macro would ideally equip WS set, WS, equip TP set (with perhaps so wait command in there) and I'm off and getting tp again. If this is the case this would be HUGE for console players since the lag can br a real issue and sometimes hitting the 2nd macro to quick can lead to the first macro not executing.

A Packet is an incoming data burst that influences behavior within the programme IE: Incoming Data - Equip body.

It appears rather than just having 1 packet for all 16 slots, it will more likely be 16 individual commands to equip the armor (think of 1 command as 1 packet).

If they made it a ID for All the slots thats 1/16th the data and in theory less lag. (Over simplified but the easiest way to explain it i think)

Mostly this, but a little more:
When you equip a piece of gear right now, one chunk of data is sent (4 bytes header, 4 bytes content, 3 content bytes used). It looks like this:
Code
50 04 SS SS II EE BB TT
50 04 = 8 byte long message with an ID of 0x050, equip packet
SS SS = Sequence ID
II = Inventory Index (item 1~80 in inventory)
EE = Equip Slot (head/body/legs/etc.)
BB = Bag identifier (00 for inventory, 07 for wardrobe)
TT = Trash, not used

Now, as far as scaling.... when you equip two pieces of gear, two chunks are sent (total of 8 bytes header, 8 bytes content, 6 content bytes used). When you equip 16 pieces of gear, 16 chunks are sent (64 bytes header, 64 bytes content, 48 content bytes used).

These chunks are assembled into UDP packets, which are sent out to the server. Assuming a 256 byte maximum packet size, this means that changing 16 pieces of gear takes up half of the packet with the current system. Is that a problem? Maybe for GearSwap, where it's possible to change 16 pieces of gear in precast (128 bytes), do an action (16 bytes), and then change 16 pieces of gear in midcast (128 bytes) all in the same UDP packet (16 bytes over, so the last 2 pieces of gear wouldn't swap). No one has ever reported a problem that indicates this is really an issue, but I doubt that such intense swaps are regular.

With the Sets idea, SE will either maintain the same 128 bytes per 16 pieces of gear or make a new type of chunk that has only one header (4 bytes) and 48 bytes of content (or 64, if they are lazy and preserve the trash bytes). So now instead of 128 bytes (half a packet) it would only be 52 bytes (20% of a packet). Much more efficient, and it means that there's no chance GearSwap would ever have maximum UDP packet size issues.

The other options that were suggested were:
1) A new type of chunk that just sends a set identifier, so your set would be stored on the server as set 1 and this packet would send an 8 byte chunk that's basically just its ID number. This is unlikely / not going to happen because SE has said these sets will not be stored on the server (iirc).
2) SE doesn't add a new packet and just makes the client generate 16 equip packets per equip set command. This is honestly probably the most likely. SE is lazy and will take the easiest route in any given situation.
[+]
By lhova 2014-07-25 17:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »

When you equip a piece of gear right now, one chunk of data is sent (4 bytes header, 4 bytes content, 3 content bytes used). It looks like this:
Code
50 04 SS SS II EE BB TT
SS SS = Sequence ID
TT = Trash, not used

Now, as far as scaling.... when you equip two pieces of gear, two chunks are sent (total of 8 bytes header, 8 bytes content, 6 content bytes used). When you equip 16 pieces of gear, 16 chunks are sent (64 bytes header, 64 bytes content, 48 content bytes used).

These chunks are assembled into UDP packets, which are sent out to the server. Assuming a 256 byte maximum packet size, this means that changing 16 pieces of gear takes up half of the packet with the current system. Is that a problem? Maybe for GearSwap, where it's possible to change 16 pieces of gear in precast (128 bytes), do an action (16 bytes), and then change 16 pieces of gear in midcast (128 bytes) all in the same UDP packet (16 bytes over, so the last 2 pieces of gear wouldn't swap). No one has ever reported a problem that indicates this is really an issue, but I doubt that such intense swaps are regular.

With the Sets idea, SE will either maintain the same 128 bytes per 16 pieces of gear or make a new type of chunk that has only one header (4 bytes) and 48 bytes of content (or 64, if they are lazy and preserve the trash bytes). So now instead of 128 bytes (half a packet) it would only be 52 bytes (20% of a packet). Much more efficient, and it means that there's no chance GearSwap would ever have maximum UDP packet size issues.

1) A new type of chunk that just sends a set identifier, so your set would be stored on the server as set 1 and this packet would send an 8 byte chunk that's basically just its ID number. This is unlikely / not going to happen because SE has said these sets will not be stored on the server (iirc).
2) SE doesn't add a new packet and just makes the client generate 16 equip packets per equip set command. This is honestly probably the most likely. SE is lazy and will take the easiest route in any given situation.

SO does either way impact console users negatively or just users utilizing gearswap?
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-07-25 17:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Code
50 04 SS SS II EE BB TT
SS SS = Sequence ID
TT = Trash, not used

SO does either way impact console users negatively or just users utilizing gearswap?

The consoles issue is how much incoming and outgoing data can it handle before it crashes, as it stands XBOX has a major limitation on this and seems to freeze randomly (not all).

This is not an issue for either in terms of Packet sizes, its just a potentially better system for both systems.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-07-25 18:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
I think just having 20 sets isnt really a problem.

And I think 20 sets is woefully insufficient for anyone who plays more than a couple jobs. Any DD worth anything will have, at a bare minimum, 5+ sets. Standard TP, Acc/hybrid TP, DT-, idle/regen, a WS set or two. Any mage will have a similar number of bare minimum sets too: precast/midcast, enfeebling, fast cast, idle/regen, cures.

Then you add more complex job-specific requirements: THF SA/TA gear, RNG or COR snapshot/preshot, COR quick draw or phantom roll (and roll-specific gear), RUN lunge, BLU spell sets, DNC or /DNC waltz sets, PUP or BST pet-focused sets, etc.

I guess it lets people do full TP/WS sets, and that's better than nothing for vanilla/console players... But I have over 20 sets for my COR alone: TP, Acc, like 5 different WS, idle, DT-, several different roll sets, QD, snapshot, ranged, /mage, etc. That doesn't even account for the other 8 jobs I play regularly.

Can't really imagine this is much motivation for any Windower user to switch to official gear sets though.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-07-25 18:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the first piece of news I've seen in a long time that really made me reconsider picking up the FFXI habit again. Even though I'm PC, I really don't like using 3rd party ***, towards the end of my time playing FFXI, staying competitive or even competent without 3rd party tools was a lot more effort than I was willing to put in.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-07-25 18:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Users using the vanilla client cannot send equip commands quickly enough for it to matter before this command was introduced. So it would not affect them.

The console issue is actually purely a problem with RAM amount. They do not have enough.
By Pantafernando 2014-07-25 18:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »

And I think 20 sets is woefully insufficient for anyone who plays more than a couple jobs. Any DD worth anything will have, at a bare minimum, 5+ sets. Standard TP, Acc/hybrid TP, DT-, idle/regen, a WS set or two. Any mage will have a similar number of bare minimum sets too: precast/midcast, enfeebling, fast cast, idle/regen, cures.

Then you add more complex job-specific requirements: THF SA/TA gear, RNG or COR snapshot/preshot, COR quick draw or phantom roll (and roll-specific gear), RUN lunge, BLU spell sets, DNC or /DNC waltz sets, PUP or BST pet-focused sets, etc.

I guess it lets people do full TP/WS sets, and that's better than nothing for vanilla/console players... But I have over 20 sets for my COR alone: TP, Acc, like 5 different WS, idle, DT-, several different roll sets, QD, snapshot, ranged, /mage, etc. That doesn't even account for the other 8 jobs I play regularly.

Can't really imagine this is much motivation for any Windower user to switch to official gear sets though.

I dont think it was ever bring here that the new system would eclypse gearswap. Its pretty obvious gearswap is more robust, but new system is pretty user friendly, and that in some extent compensate the need of erasing some gearsets to implement others.
 Cerberus.Conagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-07-25 18:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Users using the vanilla client cannot send equip commands quickly enough for it to matter before this command was introduced. So it would not affect them.

The console issue is actually purely a problem with RAM amount. They do not have enough.

The radio in my toaster has more RAM than my PS2.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-07-25 18:32:40
Link | Quote | Reply

...and that is why they cannot expand the autotranslate dictionary.
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-07-25 18:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

By Jetackuu 2014-07-25 18:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The PS2's RAM is fast, but it is small, 32MB iirc. Pretty damn impressive with the speed for '99 though.
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2014-07-25 18:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

There isn't. However..

A lot of those gear sets still easily fall within the range of a standard 5 line macro, and many more can be done with a basic complete set and 1-4 additional slot changes. Creative use of the system could easily give you a pretty large step up in usability for non-Windower users.

Only trick is getting users to put in the effort to make good use of what's available. Even with GearSwap, it may be 'easier', but you still have to spend a lot of time going through your gear, matching up with the needs of every individual action, and possibly adding in spreadsheet comparisons to pick out the best pieces of gear for every single thing you do. That's a lot of time and effort per job, and many people just don't want to do all that work, period.
 Cerberus.Doctorugh
user: Doctorugh
By Cerberus.Doctorugh 2014-07-25 18:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to assume he meant you only need 20 sets for certain jobs (like war or mnk) cuz 20 isnt sufficient for jobs like blu cor or dnc
VIP
By Kalila 2014-07-25 18:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Motenten said: »
Even with GearSwap, it may be 'easier', but you still have to spend a lot of time going through your gear, matching up with the needs of every individual action, and possibly adding in spreadsheet comparisons to pick out the best pieces of gear for every single thing you do. That's a lot of time and effort per job, and many people just don't want to do all that work, period.
It sure was a fun time waster though.
By Pantafernando 2014-07-25 18:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Doctorugh said: »

I'm going to assume he meant you only need 20 sets for certain jobs (like war or mnk) cuz 20 isnt sufficient for jobs like blu cor or dnc

20 total, but will increase to 100 in future if no bigger ***happens.

Stuff is experimental yet.
By tarupowa 2014-07-25 19:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Leviathan.Draylo said: »
Yay no more excuse from the console/vanilla community to not gear swap lol
This is my playstyle! It's my 13 dollars! Omg get a life you elitist ***! I am strong enough without doing it! It's the player's ability that matters! What is a macro? Will always exist.
"Oh, I did gear swap, you just missed it. I use /lockstyle."
to be fair, i use /lockstyle. but i also actually do gearswap, i lockstyle in a set that i like the look of lol like my toci's harness. i mostly use it to make it easier on the whitemage so the target thing doesnt go away.
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2014-07-27 15:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Triffle said: »
As an Xbox player, this is the best news ever. Update of the century most definitely.
i was honestly happy when i read this update so i cant wait to see how it works.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-07-27 15:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

tarupowa said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Leviathan.Draylo said: »
Yay no more excuse from the console/vanilla community to not gear swap lol
This is my playstyle! It's my 13 dollars! Omg get a life you elitist ***! I am strong enough without doing it! It's the player's ability that matters! What is a macro? Will always exist.
"Oh, I did gear swap, you just missed it. I use /lockstyle."
to be fair, i use /lockstyle. but i also actually do gearswap, i lockstyle in a set that i like the look of lol like my toci's harness. i mostly use it to make it easier on the whitemage so the target thing doesnt go away.

With <stpt> and <stal>, blinking should never be an issue you actually account for. I can think of one time in the last couple years when I had a targetting issue from someone blinking, and it was a command line D2, not a macro.
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2014-07-29 02:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Where the *** is my mini map.

Only 20 sets makes this seem like a grandiose birthday cake that is insidiously filled with ***. I hope there is more to come.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-07-29 02:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

SE commented on the 20 item sets cap. They said they will watch server load and increase in September.