2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Quitters, a serious question, please
Quitters, a serious question, please
First Page 2 3 4 5
By fractalvoid 2014-07-12 14:23:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Acey said: »
Tl;dr but my answer to your question is drugs... Lots of drugs pharmisudicals are the best ;)

I suggest IV methoxetamine. Order some before Europe bans it! (at least I did cos that's where my supplier is)

Also pharmaceuticals are ***unless it's vials of ketamine
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-07-12 14:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I didn't like the direction Matsui took XI. I felt they gave him the reigns of XI to maintain it and instead he started implementing stuff from XIV such as item levels and what-not. It was just something foreign and new to me, and it began to feel like a different, new game with outdated graphics. Many of my friends quit, LS buddies stopped logging in, and I lost interest as I had before, unlike before, when I came back, I found the game to be so different that it just wasn't my thing anymore. I don't hate the game, and I won't mock any of you guys who still play for doing so, I played for 9 years, I had good times and bad times but like all good things, it had to end at some point, and for me it was soon after SoA was implemented.

For those wondering when I decided to quit, it was around the time of the R/M/E rage, Matsui wasn't doing a very good job of maintaining the userbase's confidence in him, with cop outs and uncertainty such as "I will look for a solution, maybe I will find one, I don't know." in regards to R/M/Es. I feel that issue was one that killed the game for a lot of people, it took so long for him to actually do anything that by the time he did, many (like myself) had quit and moved on. I had no reason to work on my Armageddon or progress on relic scythe, on top of that most of my friends had quit so I ended up here.

I like FFXIV, but I don't have it in me to play an MMO constantly anymore, thus I get left behind. >.>
By Otomis 2014-07-12 22:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Afliction said: »
ever thought of restoring a classic car?
already done it
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-07-12 23:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Serious Answer for the one guy in the world who already does it all:

Step 1. Quit your bitching.

Step 2. *** the value of time spent/money spent a little differently

Step 3. stop being such a retard, for someone with at minimum, a B.S.

Step 4. find *FREE* (re: no cost) Activities to fill your day with - hobbies like chess in the park, jigsaw puzzles, intricate model building, art, or anything that can be relaxing, creative, inspiring, and so forth.

Step 5. Don't create a thread demanding answers that you aren't really expecting a whole lot from - it's just troll bait from another troll hunter.

Step 6. Profit.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-07-13 00:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I tryed to quit few months back I only lasted a few days and had to play again. I got way to bored.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-07-13 02:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »
I tryed to quit few months back I only lasted a few days and had to play again. I got way to bored.

That's exactly why I posted, I try to quit, since I'm not having "fun" on here, but I have even less fun (if that's possible...?) existence in general get's to be a little mundane, or i guess monotonous.

You (I) can only do trivial activities for so long, at least with XI matsui *** the game up so badly every couple months, there's never nothing different to do. We've just been running rng onry a little to long. (and 119, I suppose)
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2014-07-13 04:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »

That's exactly why I posted, I try to quit, since I'm not having "fun" on here, but I have even less fun (if that's possible...?) existence in general get's to be a little mundane, or i guess monotonous.

You (I) can only do trivial activities for so long, at least with XI matsui *** the game up so badly every couple months, there's never nothing different to do. We've just been running rng onry a little to long. (and 119, I suppose)

All seriousness though, good lesson here, life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Still, I know your pain, Its hard for me to find an activity I enjoy... drawing has stuck with me for a long time, maybe you could learn to write or draw? Perhaps you'd enjoy going back to school.
 Bismarck.Lucried
Server: Bismarck
user: Lucried
By Bismarck.Lucried 2014-07-13 04:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

while i haven't quit ffxi there are times when there just isn't anything going on that I'm interested in participating in. during those times ill usually catch up on some anime, if i cant find anything interesting to watch ill usually play some rpg maker games that some people have posted.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-07-13 12:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Otomis said: »
Shiva.Afliction said: »
ever thought of restoring a classic car?
already done it
Come on, now. Pics?
By Regiment 2014-07-13 12:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a trippy thread. I barely have enough time to play this game, through all the work/school/exercise i'm just happy to have a chance to sit down and kill some dragons with some friends.

BOTTOM LINE if you are relying on one thing to fill all of your subconscious daily needs/desires you're going to get sick of it after a while, the human brain needs more.
 Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin
By Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin 2014-07-13 12:54:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I like FFXIV, but I don't have it in me to play an MMO constantly anymore, thus I get left behind. >.>

I actually think this is why MMOs will disappear after this generation dries up... I don't think there's a coming generation of MMOs, personally. The initial MMO playerbase in the early '00s was your old grind-it-out JRPG player from the SNES/PSX era; a group of players who saw their favorite kind of game evolve into MMOs, largely. Many of those players, like Anna says above (and myself, and many others), have grown up - real jobs, spouses, children, etc. MMOs are easy to juggle with school, I found, but not so much with the rest, particularly the spouse/children part. Beyond that, the current generation of non-MMO gamers don't seem inclined to that kind of genre, anyway.

I digress, though. When I need to break my MMO habit, or find myself waning, I sort of wean myself off by buying some cheap stuff on Steam and getting engrossed in something that has a finite end. Or I have other less open-ended games in my regular queue, such as Civilization 5 or Diablo 3. Sometimes I play a bunch of something else, get tired of it, find myself still tired of XI, and I just sort of do other stuff for awhile. I always come back to XI in the end, when I have a glut of free time and nothing to distract me from it, but it certainly doesn't hold me like it used to.

As for other things... well, that's up to you. If you're single, a quality significant other will take up amazingly large amounts of time without you even noticing. Other hobbies... I don't know. Pick up a physical hobby - bike riding, go to the gym, jogging, swimming, whatever. Something that sounds mundane but is a progression you can grind, so to speak. Otherwise, fill your time with TV or movies, other video games per above, reading, whatever else tickles your fancy. Explore whatever city you live in and find stuff to go out and do in the evening or on the weekend. Go out for drinks with coworkers.

There are always options, it can just be hard to see them once you get used to the MMO as your typical daily leisure timesink.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-07-13 12:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been asked about starting ESO, but TES games are something I like to play alone, it's my loner game.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-07-13 13:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Stay away from ESO, its nothing.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-07-13 13:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Stay away from ESO, its nothing.
I'm not big of PVP and stuff, and I see a lot of PVP footage, plus I read that Vampires can only use powers during PVP and they get weaker every 30 mins or so they go without feeding. Been playing Skyrim lately.
Server: Adamantoise
user: Azael
By Asiledne Namikiri 2014-07-13 13:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I should've just simply asked what the people who quit do with their time, instead of bothering to pre-rule out all the things and reasons why I wouldn't/couldn't since they wouldn't be read anyway.

If you quit, what do you do with your former FFXI time? Aside from work/sleep.

Perhaps its a silly suggestion, but I've been writing since I quit. I have a story that I've been working on for some time, but since I quit playing last year; I have tallied about 300 pages. I subscribed back in June, but still spent most of my time writing.

edit: if this was suggested already, I apologize. I didn't look through the whole thread.
By Ravenn42 2014-07-13 13:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Man 4 pages of this. People have given a lot of examples but it seems to me this is all about you and your lack of motivation. I am married with kids and I work 50 hours a week. When I get home it's cook dinner, play with kids for a little while and then watch a couple hours of TV before bed. There is not time for much else.

On days I get off I grocery shop...clean house... Work out...swim with kids and occasionally do something fun if there is time.

When I play ffxi it is when I make time or I multi task lol. Watch Tv with wife and do dynamis. I will keep ffxiah up and look for shouts I would like and work my schedule around it.

My point is that life itself sucks up people's time and if all you do is play ffxi than your not really living anyway.

Not saying go get married and have kids because than you will not have time for anything like me lol

But it's ok to go outside .
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-07-13 14:00:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ravenn42 said: »
it's ok to go outside
*looks outside*

*scoots*
 Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin
By Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin 2014-07-13 14:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ravenn42 said: »
Man 4 pages of this. People have given a lot of examples but it seems to me this is all about you and your lack of motivation. I am married with kids and I work 50 hours a week. When I get home it's cook dinner, play with kids for a little while and then watch a couple hours of TV before bed. There is not time for much else.

Yeah, but I mean, we don't know Valli's situation. If he's a single college student who may not enjoy the alcoholic shenanigans of most college-age people, then he's in a totally different situation. Perhaps he's asking because he's a student, plays during the semester, and right now is off for the summer without work and unsure what to do with his time.

The marriage/kids thing really plants a ton of change on you, as does working a legit 40+ hour/week job.

I mean, I play a ton of FFXI right now, despite being married, but that's because I'm between jobs. When I get a new job, my play time will taper off. But for right now, well, you can only job hunt so much per day, and you can only fill so many hours with other stuff on a daily basis, especially on chilly/rainy days.
 Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin
By Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin 2014-07-13 14:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been asked about starting ESO, but TES games are something I like to play alone, it's my loner game.

Hearing nothing substantial about it, personally. I love the Elder Scrolls games, though; however, I feel that what makes them special to me are things that do not translate well into MMOs. I enjoy the large-scale exploration and the loner quality of it. Something about being "just another PC" in an Elder Scrolls world seems to sap at part of what makes the series so fun.

Oh, and every TES game has a tendency to be rather glitchy here and there, which is another concern I'd have about ESO.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-07-13 14:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin said: »

Hearing nothing substantial about it, personally. I love the Elder Scrolls games, though; however, I feel that what makes them special to me are things that do not translate well into MMOs. I enjoy the large-scale exploration and the loner quality of it. Something about being "just another PC" in an Elder Scrolls world seems to sap at part of what makes the series so fun.

Oh, and every TES game has a tendency to be rather glitchy here and there, which is another concern I'd have about ESO.
Same here. Plus if an NPC is rude to you, you can just kill them...except Rolff Stone-Fist in Windhelm. I poison him a lot.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2014-07-13 15:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I should've just simply asked what the people who quit do with their time, instead of bothering to pre-rule out all the things and reasons why I wouldn't/couldn't since they wouldn't be read anyway.

If you quit, what do you do with your former FFXI time? Aside from work/sleep.

Gymnastics, it gives me such an exercise high. With intense exercise comes extended sleep, I sleep about 10 hours a night then full time work. I'll watch like a tv episode every day or every other day catching up on shows, an 8-9 hour D&D session with friends on sunday my day off, idk I find it a pretty good life.

I did reactivate FFXI at the start of july, but I've played it maybe 2 hours so far unlocking adoulin, but then it just got boring.
 Quetzalcoatl.Senketsuhiro
By Quetzalcoatl.Senketsuhiro 2014-07-13 15:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

All I can suggest is find another game I went through the same thing with world of warcraft I got so geared on that game that I it got boring and I did not want to spend all my time on it I keep the subscription going because I still enjoy going on and doing some stuff on there but I started playing Final Fantasy XI to fill the rest of my time. Once you're far enough in one mmorpg you can sideline it a bit and work on another with still doing end game stuff in the mmo you started on or just walk away from it completely.
 Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin
By Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin 2014-07-13 15:58:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Same here. Plus if an NPC is rude to you, you can just kill them...except Rolff Stone-Fist in Windhelm. I poison him a lot.

I should add that I find the glitchy tendencies of normal TES games to be sort of amusing, like a little hallmark of the games that comes from their open-endedness (haha, you killed the guy who completes your quest, good job!). That said, I wouldn't find it as amusing in an MMO. And again, what makes TES games so enjoyable are things that only work in the single-player environment.

That said, what happened to MMOs giving free 7- or 14-day trials to prospective players? I was definitely not going to drop $60 on ESO right out of the gate, but I would have most certainly sampled a free 7- or 14-day trial without hesitation.
 Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin
By Quetzalcoatl.Jhedin 2014-07-13 15:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Senketsuhiro said: »
All I can suggest is find another game I went through the same thing with world of warcraft I got so geared on that game that I it got boring and I did not want to spend all my time on it I keep the subscription going because I still enjoy going on and doing some stuff on there but I started playing Final Fantasy XI to fill the rest of my time. Once you're far enough in one mmorpg you can sideline it a bit and work on another with still doing end game stuff in the mmo you started on or just walk away from it completely.

Diablo 3 is particularly good for this if you want the same thrill/grind of an MMO without it being an actual MMO. It does help to have some friends who play, though. And I suppose you'd have to like the Diablo style, too. Replacing one MMO with another doesn't really solve his problem. That's like swapping heroin for coke because you were getting too addicted to one (bad example, I know); it doesn't really solve the problem so much as kick it a few months down the road.
 Quetzalcoatl.Senketsuhiro
By Quetzalcoatl.Senketsuhiro 2014-07-13 16:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Senketsuhiro said: »

Diablo 3 is particularly good for this if you want the same thrill/grind of an MMO without it being an actual MMO. It does help to have some friends who play, though. And I suppose you'd have to like the Diablo style, too. Replacing one MMO with another doesn't really solve his problem. That's like swapping heroin for coke because you were getting too addicted to one (bad example, I know); it doesn't really solve the problem so much as kick it a few months down the road.

Even though it is trading one addiction for another if you are just fighting off boredom a new and exciting world and story can help fight off the boredom and stale feeling you get from another game.
 Bahamut.Samunai
Server: Bahamut
user: Samunai
By Bahamut.Samunai 2014-07-13 16:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Voren said: »
Try going after nocturnus helm and nocturnus mail That should keep you busy for a while :)

i just got both in 2hrs time >_>

tell me what to do now pls. im bored

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Pantafernando 2014-07-13 16:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Samunai said: »
Voren said: »
Try going after nocturnus helm and nocturnus mail That should keep you busy for a while :)

i just got both in 2hrs time >_>

tell me what to do now pls. im bored

Aparently you still have 20 mythics to build.
[+]