Fat-shaming More Harmful Than Racism And Sexism

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Fat-shaming More Harmful Than Racism and Sexism
Fat-shaming More Harmful Than Racism and Sexism
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-22 19:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, the latest in "Fat Blaming" is sugars. I'm not sure how reliable it is because lolbillmaher, but recently an endocrinologist interview highlighted some of the the massively negative impacts high sugar has. Just sugar in general, not a specific was on HFC (Which is only cited as a problem because of it's cheap abundance).

Personally, I think the biggest problem is just ignorance. We don't give young people the knowledge they need in order to take control of their own diets. I guess one could argue process foods as well, since you expend much less energy for a huge calorie dosage.

Finally, exercise is incredibly important, but Cardio training is actually a low time/calorie burn. If you really need to drop weight(Fat), strength and resistance training is the best time/result. That's not to say you should neglect cardiovascular health, as it's certainly more important to overall health.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-05-22 19:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Does sex qualify as cardio?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By sweetsnopea 2014-05-22 19:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Inference said: »
Of course the ratio of convenience to unhealthy in fast food doesn't make losing the weight any easier, but I wouldn't say that it's the companies responsibility to give me food portions that will keep me a healthy weight unless they advertise it as such. Smaller portions means I could just order two, anyways.
Yeah, but there is something called discipline yeah you could order more there are consequences to the chooses we all make you could *** and moan you are fat or get off your *** and work hard for the body you want
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-22 19:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cardio-0vascular is extremely important when doing strength training to burn calories. The kind of exercise you want to do, are tightening and toning endurance based exercises.

Otherwise you could end gaining weight via exercise instead, by replacing fat with muscle.

Again, this takes knowledge, not just a quick stint at the gym.
 Asura.Echandra
Server: Asura
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2014-05-22 19:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Josiahfk said: »
Can you imagine if dinosaurs roamed the earth still? They would probably all die out in a single generation from heart disease, from eating all the slower large transfat or high sugars filled humans who couldn't outrun them.

Talk about motivation to exercise exercise

And people would be motivated to be in shape! Run faster or...your *** is dinner for the dinos.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-22 19:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
It does. It's actually one of the best kinds of exercise you'll ever engage in, so do it often.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-22 19:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Do some research. Changing diet and monitoring not only the number of calories, but the type, is far more influential than time in the gym. On an ideal level -- that is, one that's barely attainable by anyone who isn't a professional athlete -- you'll burn ~450 calories/hr in the gym, and most people have no more than 60-90 minutes to spend in a gym when combined with a real job.
And yet I habitually spend 1000-1400 calories just commuting to work on top of who knows how much else doing my actual job. It makes balancing calories nigh impossible since trying to cut could leave me weak enough to faceplant with a 50 lb. cabinet on my back or something.

Meanwhile, the skinny guy in the office complains to me that he's fat on the basis that he has no hope in hell of matching my speed and strength and I'm getting close to agreeing with him and personally redefining "fat" to mean "athletically inept."

That seems a better classification, anyhow. I see guys weighing close to 300 lbs. who don't even scoff at the idea of hauling 75 lb. doors through construction sites for 8 hours a day, and it's not because they're muscle-bound power-lifters. They're the kind of fat that you expect to see on a scooter in Wal-Mart, but they do serious work without complaint or problem.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-22 19:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Carrelo said: »
My weight varies between 125~135lb, depending on how lazy I am with managing my calorie intake (too lazy lately ; ;). I'm toned, have abs and a nice ***, and am generally happy with my body type (I mention this to illustrate that my opinion on this issue isn't biased or self-serving). I like other guys with this body type. But I also like guys with a stockier body type. Even some guys with significantly stockier body types can be really attractive.
Wanna go get a room?
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-05-22 19:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
It does. It's actually one of the best kinds of exercise you'll ever engage in, so do it often.
Wanna spot me?
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-22 19:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Wanna spot me?
Sure, let me stretch out my arms a little, and loosen up.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
Server: Ragnarok
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2014-05-22 19:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Powering through some of these posts, I’d like to weigh in (pun intended) from the standpoint of a dude that used to be fat:

Keeping with the spirit of the original post, I think people disregard, at least in the grand scheme of things, racist and sexist statements for the most part because those are traits being targeted that a person can’t control, i.e. if someone doesn’t like me because I’m a Caucasian male and only because I am a Caucasian male, then they can in no mistaken terms smooch my backside… period. I'd pay them no mind. Inversely, being “fat” is a lifestyle, it’s day-to-day choices that make a person that way, and I think hits a little closer to home for some people because they realize that they’re being mocked for something they have complete control over, yet do nothing about; sure, some people generally don’t care, but I think most people that say they don’t care when push came to shove would prefer it if they weren’t overweight, it just hasn’t gotten to the point that they’re willing to make the necessary changes is all.

My motivation is that I was always the chubby kid that played too many video games growing up, and that was pretty much me throughout my adolescence and early adulthood, and then I just got to a point where I was sick of it, so I took steps… a few years later I’m in the best shape of my life and live completely different lifestyle now, granted I still play way too many video games (I’ve got to keep sh*t real), but I exercise regularly, eat right, but don’t concern myself if and when I do cheat (and believe me, I cheat), and I’ll never look back… ever.

I think fat people need to be encouraged, not belittled or on the opposite end of the spectrum coddled or enabled, because obesity is a problem… but it's not an insurmountable one.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-22 19:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Anything that raises your heart rate to your target heart rate is considered cardio.

In a related note, (Vigorous) sexual activity is one of the most effective calorie burning workouts possible, often coming in at something like 2000 calories an hour. That's a sustained theoretical though, most people aren't thrusting/riding for the full hour. Position changes/foreplay, etc.
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-05-22 19:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
They're the kind of fat that you expect to see on a scooter in Wal-Mart, but they do serious work without complaint or problem.
I rode on a Wal-Mart scooter one time. It was fun. <____< No regrets.

Alexander.Carrelo said: »
My weight varies between 125~135lb, depending on how lazy I am with managing my calorie intake (too lazy lately ; ;). I'm toned, have abs and a nice ***, and am generally happy with my body type (I mention this to illustrate that my opinion on this issue isn't biased or self-serving). I like other guys with this body type. But I also like guys with a stockier body type. Even some guys with significantly stockier body types can be really attractive.
Wanna go get a room?
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-05-22 20:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »

Anything that raises your heart rate to your target heart rate is considered cardio.

In a related note, (Vigorous) sexual activity is one of the most effective calorie burning workouts possible, often coming in at something like 2000 calories an hour. That's a sustained theoretical though, most people aren't thrusting/riding for the full hour. Position changes/foreplay, etc.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-22 20:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Theoretically it should be around 2000 calories, but reality is that it's closer to 1250-1500 calories burned, between switching positions and foreplay, which granted, is still quite a lot.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-22 20:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, this link is relevant to this discussion.
[+]
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-05-22 20:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

And this one!
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-22 20:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
angrykitty said: »
Its not my fault you're unattractive.
Some people just never leave high school, do they? lol
Don't worry: Ravael will be in here eventually.

I thought that myself.

I long ago became immune to his particular brand of ***.

He edited it to say Saevel, but that's cute.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-22 20:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I found that dancing naked solves most problems.

Just don't don't do it in front of a school. Glad I wasn't 18 that one time.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-22 20:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
angrykitty said: »
Its not my fault you're unattractive.
Some people just never leave high school, do they? lol
Don't worry: Ravael will be in here eventually.

I thought that myself.

I long ago became immune to his particular brand of ***.

He edited it to say Saevel, but that's cute.

I did, in fact, mean Saevel. Or whoever. The pompous *** with the old school red mage avatar.

Edit: That is to say, I don't always agree with you either, but you're a long way from that other guy.
[+]
 Odin.Minefield
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2014-05-22 20:36:13
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-22 20:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Should fat-shaming still be acceptable as the article claims? Is it more harmful than racism and sexism as the Florida study suggests?

There is a good probability it is more harmful. Reason being is over-weight individuals are already at risk for multiple health conditions. By increasing the anxiety of an overweight individual you are increasing their cortisol levels and literally pushing those at-risk health conditions "over-the-scale," no pun intended.

Ragnarok.Azryel said: »
Inversely, being “fat” is a lifestyle, it’s day-to-day choices that make a person that way, and I think hits a little closer to home for some people because they realize that they’re being mocked for something they have complete control over
This is partially incorrect. Being "fat" is largely psychological, not a lifestyle. I am not condoning, being overweight whatsoever. However, you cannot disregard socioeconomic factors and how they play a roll in being fat.
 Ragnarok.Eriina
Server: Ragnarok
user: Eriina
By Ragnarok.Eriina 2014-05-22 20:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Protip: If you aren't happy with your current body weight and would like to decrease it, it helps to move our of America.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-22 20:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Eriina said: »
Protip: If you aren't happy with your current body weight and would like to decrease it, it helps to move our of America.

Where would you suggest people move? There are more than a dozen other countries where over half of the population is overweight, and many more that are close to that.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-05-22 20:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Ragnarok.Eriina said: »

Where would you suggest people move? There are more than a dozen other countries where over half of the population is overweight, and many more that are close to that.
Ethiopia.

EDIT: I know, I'm going to hell for this post.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9