Fat-shaming More Harmful Than Racism And Sexism

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Fat-shaming More Harmful Than Racism and Sexism
Fat-shaming More Harmful Than Racism and Sexism
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-22 17:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

A new study from the Florida State University College of Medicine suggest being treated poorly for being overweight may hit people harder than acts of racism or sexism.

Quote:
From movies to magazines, people everywhere are bombarded with what perfection is supposed to look like, making those who are overweight a punchline.

After what some would consider a hate-fueled rant on national TV this month, the call went out for Charles Barkley to apologize.

Barkley has been getting heat from the city of San Antonio, specifically its female population, for saying, on live TV, that the city's women were a "gold mine for Weight Watchers."

But Barkley is not alone. Just peruse the internet for a few minutes, and thousands of jokes and memes will appear - all directed at people who are overweight.

A new study suggests those comments, looks and jokes could actually be more detrimental to a person's psyche than if they were a victim of racism or sexism.

The study from the Florida State University College of Medicine says it could be because weight is seen by many as something that's easily controlled, whereas race and sex are not.

"I think that because it is seen as a choice and it potentially says something about their personality, people feel more comfortable doing it," said Hailee Bland-Walsh, a personal trainer.
Source

An easy target because of perceived changes that could be easily made?

Another article goes on to say:
Quote:
"It’s almost like obesity is the last of the acceptable groups to be teasing," says Madelyn Fernstrom, NBC News health and diet editor. Being biased about the overweight or obese, she says, is still very socially acceptable.

Research has already shown that stigmatizing overweight people leads to psychological factors that are likely to contribute to weight gain – things like depression or binge eating. This new paper takes that a step further, linking what the Internet likes to call “fat-shaming” to weight gain and suggesting that you can’t scare people skinny.

“Stigma and discrimination are really stressors, and, unfortunately, for many people, they’re chronic stressors,” says Rebecca Puhl, deputy director of the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University. Puhl has studied weight bias and discrimination for 13 years. “And we know that eating is a common reaction to stress and anxiety -- that people often engage in more food consumption or more binge eating in response to stressors, so there is a logical connection here in terms of some of the maladaptive coping strategies to try to deal with the stress of being stigmatized.”
Source

So shaming people because of their weight seems to not help them make any changes, but rather forces them to always see themselves as always being fat and accepting it as unchangeable.

Should fat-shaming still be acceptable as the article claims? Is it more harmful than racism and sexism as the Florida study suggests?

Or is there perhaps a better way altogether to tackle the obesity epidemic that plagues the U.S.?
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-05-22 17:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't we have a thread about fat shaming not very long ago..?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-22 17:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that I can recall offhand.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-22 17:19:35
Link | Quote | Reply

This is also a more recent study that claims it's is more harmful than racism or sexism.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-05-22 17:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't care how fat anyone gets, as long as they didn't buy the seat next to mine on an airplane.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-05-22 17:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm fat, i don't want to put forth the effort to change it, and i don't care what people say about it

self esteem has to come from yourself, words are just words and anyone who lets racism, sexism, fat-shaming, or appearance insults in general bring them down is a weak person
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-05-22 17:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

A harmful thing is harmful, it's not a competition.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-05-22 17:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

they should do a study about how mindless taunting affects those with an actual back bone...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-22 17:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
A harmful thing is harmful, it's not a competition.
It's not harmful if it is accepted...
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-22 17:57:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget this:
The 'Louie' Speech On 'Fat Girls' That Every Man (And Woman) Needs To Watch

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Reichleiu
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-05-22 18:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Know what's really ironic?

I was scrolling down reading this on my phone and the add near the reply field is for "Wellspring Camps"...

A "Fat Camp"

Talk about target marketing...
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-22 18:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This is hardly surprising. Racism is a very indirect sort of hate. It drags you down as a culture but has less impact on an individual. Fat-shaming is a direct and personal form of hate. There's no comfortable buffer, even if there are other lard-*** to commiserate with.

And before someone gears up to get angry, having fat friends increases your odds of becoming or remaining fat. And I'm fat, so it's self-loathing as much as anything else being expressed.
[+]
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-05-22 18:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I really wanted to post something but I can't find the right words to express the amount of /facepalm feeling sympathetic to fat people is, and I am fat myself.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-22 18:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

How they're treated has 2 aspects in my opinion.

1. Aside from rare instances, obesity is largely a choice unlike sexual orientation, gender, or race.

2. Discrimination of fat people isn't viewed in the same light as racial or sexual discrimination by the masses.

Ideally, large people wouldn't be harassed or discriminated against, but there are real limitations on equality. For example, it does cost more jet fuel to move a 300lbs person than a 150lbs person and other passengers shouldn't be required to sacrifice half their seating space because a person is too large to fit into their own.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-22 18:15:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Tossing out taunts of racism, sexism, and fat-shaming indicates a weak person as well, but they're not asked to change since it's those who dare let such things affect them that are thin-skinned people who need to grow a backbone. How about people just not be overt *** and, in the case of fat-shaming, offer something constructive?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-22 18:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Well there may or may be a sexist element involved with obesity, depending how you associate the two, according to this article.

Quote:
Besides the well-known problems associated with being overweight at a young age, a new study suggests that obese teen girls tend to do worse in school than those with a healthy weight.

Researchers analyzed data from nearly 6,000 children in the United Kingdom and found that girls who were obese at age 11 had lower academic scores at ages 11, 13 and 16 than those with a normal weight.

The overall average grade in English, math and science was a C, but the average grade among obese girls was a D. The link between obesity and school grades was less clear in boys, according to the study, which was published March 11 in the International Journal of Obesity.
Source

Which is why that episode of 'Louie' was popular recently as well as other factors affecting women and their weight.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-22 18:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ackeronll said: »
I really wanted to post something but I can't find the right words to express the amount of /facepalm feeling sympathetic to fat people is, and I am fat myself.
Define "fat."

No one ever really seems to want to, letting it mean whatever the hell they want it to mean. Nearly anorexic high school girls would define it as weighing more than 110 lbs. dripping wet, but not many people agree with them. When I think of "fat," I picture someone whose life is measurably impacted by their additional weight, but I suspect many people are thinking more of someone like me. I'm technically obese according to the BMI and engage in more physical activity and am in better shape than the overwhelming majority of people I encounter, even if parts of me are jiggling.

Feeling sympathetic to someone who is literally killing themselves is probably not helping them. Feeling sympathetic to someone who is stocky or curvy and genuinely deserves those words (as in, they're 20-30 lbs. overweight, not 100+ and lying to themselves) is more of a grey area. I hate nothing so much as hearing someone who is not significantly heavier than me getting out of breath after three flights of stairs or after carrying a 30 lb. bookbag half a mile. If you can jog a half-marathon or complete a cycling century in spite of having a beer gut and man-boobs (substitute appropriately insulting things if female), you don't need to be hassled.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-22 18:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Tossing out taunts of racism, sexism, and fat-shaming indicates a weak person as well, but they're not asked to change since it's those who dare let such things affect them that are thin-skinned people who need to grow a backbone. How about people just not be overt *** and, in the case of fat-shaming, offer something constructive?

B-I-N-G-***-O.

I'm obese. I'm not -as- obese as my BMI indicates due to having quite a bit of muscle mass. I'm 5' 11", ~285 lbs. Most people when asked to estimate being brutally honest guess 250 or so. And they're people I trust to be brutally honest when I ask them to be so.

That said, it's none of your god damn business what my weight is or how I manage it. I have a wife who loves me for who I am. I have coworkers who respect me. I have people at my -gym- who respect me because they see the work I do in an attempt to try to get more fit.

And no. While you can always "choose" not to be fat, it's far, far, far easier for some than others.

I guess my point is, "*** you" to fat shamers. If someone is trying, you've no right to judge them. Even a little. If they're working at it, and they weigh 304 lbs this month instead of 310 last month, shut your *** mouth and find another way to make yourself feel superior. Because chances are they're putting more work into it than you are at this point.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-22 18:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Well there may or may be a sexist element involved with obesity, depending how you associate the two, according to this article.

Quote:
Besides the well-known problems associated with being overweight at a young age, a new study suggests that obese teen girls tend to do worse in school than those with a healthy weight.

Researchers analyzed data from nearly 6,000 children in the United Kingdom and found that girls who were obese at age 11 had lower academic scores at ages 11, 13 and 16 than those with a normal weight.

The overall average grade in English, math and science was a C, but the average grade among obese girls was a D. The link between obesity and school grades was less clear in boys, according to the study, which was published March 11 in the International Journal of Obesity.
Source

Which is why that episode of 'Louie' was popular recently as well as other factors affecting women and their weight.

Frankly I think superficially judging anyone as a person - male or female - solely based on their weight or physical appearance should merit you a spot in whatever hell your particular belief prescribes to.

And if you don't believe in any sort of hell, you should be run over by an ice cream truck for the sake of irony.
By angrykitty 2014-05-22 18:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

http://neilarey.com/
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-22 18:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

angrykitty said: »

http://neilarey.com/

Yes. Please focus on the few giant people as opposed to those of us who function every bit as well as the vast majority of people out there on a day-to-day basis, yet are simple "unattractive" to the "better people" of the world.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-22 18:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Back in High school, I was considered morbidly obese, due strictly to my weight. (425lbs upon graduation), despite working from sun-up to sun-down, and even a little beyond.

A lot of it was manual labor. I've also been a weight lifter since grade 7 to get people to leave me alone about my weight and size.

The heaviest any has ever guessed my weight was, during that time, was 220 tops. Now, I'm down to roughly 270. It's currently teetered out there, but I'm no longer in the physical shape I was in during high school, and have lost muscle mass (which 1 pound of muscle weighs approximately 2.25x more than fat) due to medical complications.

There is a huge difference in being fat, and being heavy. I've seen people who are lighter in weight than me (this one kid I went to high school with was 238lbs, and nearly 2x my size AROUND), and he would go around calling me fat, despite being smaller than most of the 180-220 lbs linemen on my football team.
By angrykitty 2014-05-22 18:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not my fault you're unattractive. You have more control over that than I do. lol
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-22 18:46:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not my fault you're unattractive.
Considering how many people are attracted to curvy women, to thick-bottomed women, to big beautiful women, to stocky men, to chunky men, to chubby men... let's just agree that your definition of "attractive" has all the relevance of a puff of methane.

I think I'm plain. My friends and ex-boyfriends heartily disagree. Who's right?
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-05-22 18:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Its not my fault you're unattractive. You have more control over that than I do. lol
Not sure if troll or just shallow.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-22 18:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people just never leave high school, do they? lol
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-22 18:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't worry: Saevel will be in here eventually.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-22 18:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Not sure if troll or just shallow.
Shallow troll.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-22 18:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Point of order. I'm married to a woman who is incredibly turned on by me and through high school and college (all the time of which I've been with my now-wife), I've had to rebuke the advances of several women who society would deem "attractive".

Sooooooooooo.........

Sit on it, potsy.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-22 18:50:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Don't worry: Ravael will be in here eventually.

I thought that myself.

I long ago became immune to his particular brand of ***.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9