Is It Time To Remove Under God From The Pledge?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Is it Time to Remove Under God From the Pledge?
Is it Time to Remove Under God From the Pledge?
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 10 11 12
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-22 15:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-22 15:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply

artwork for the Johnny Sparthos show, episode 1.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-22 15:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

that picture is terrifying...
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-04-22 15:50:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I always just said "watermelon" over and over during the pledge even at age 6 i knew religion was *** lol
[+]
By Ophannus 2014-04-22 15:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Why couldn't it be "Under Truth" or "Under Fidelity" or some other abstract benevolent or unifying concept. Something like One Nation, Under Truth/Justice. Before anyone says lol @ america being a nation of truth/justice, I ask you, is it any less absurd than being a nation under god?

Under science would be cool.
 Lye
By Lye 2014-04-22 15:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Or perhaps "under Canada?"

IB4 Aussie maps!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-22 15:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
I always just said "watermelon" over and over during the pledge even at age 6 i knew religion was *** lol
There you have it... age 6 and impervious to the indoctrination of the pledge of allegiance... case closed.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-04-22 16:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

lol i think i was just naturally a *** very cynical as a child
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-22 16:06:50
Link | Quote | Reply

He must be one of those "Divergent" I saw in a movie.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-22 17:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the U.S. needs a state sponsored religion called Americanity. It's divine creator shall be called Phobos.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-22 17:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Tatsiki said: »
You know it's hilarious when I see atheists call Christianity stupid, but they go out of their way to rename things like Easter Bunny (Now Spring Bunny) and they still celebrate Christmas.

If you're not a Christian, stfu, don't meddle in someone else's religion and make it a news story. Seriously -who- the -***- cares? You aren't a Christian, you have no business celebrating Easter yet you think it's ok to change the name of the Easter Bunny despite being against Christianity and the notion of what Easter represents. You're against Christianity, yet I see so many people (so many -atheists- in my area) are celebrating Christmas. IDC if it's 'holiday' season or not, when I am at work and it's the day of Christmas Eve, I am going to say "Merry Christmas" why? Because the day itself is Christmas, not 'holiday'

Don't go "rational thinking" when atheists are just as hypocritical as Christians when the atheists want to rename a christian holiday just so they can celebrate it.

You do know the origins of those holidays and symbols? You know, that Chrstianity took over and renamed?
[+]
 Sylph.Shipp
Server: Sylph
user: Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-04-22 17:41:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I think there's already been some court cases about the issue and they found it was no problem due to the ambiguous nature of the use of the word "god" as it doesn't necessarily mean just one. I still find that to be a short sided response in order to prevent mass riots, but hey.
The problem here is that it isn't ambiguous. It refers specifically to the Christian god as it is capitalized. It's using it as a proper noun, which is a definite Christian practice. Which other "God" would our nation be under? It certainly wasn't Zeus being worshipped by the majority at the time it was added to the pledge.
By macsdf1 2014-04-22 17:41:52
Link | Quote | Reply

call it giftmas
[+]
 Sylph.Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-04-22 17:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Ragnarok.Tatsiki said: »
You know it's hilarious when I see atheists call Christianity stupid, but they go out of their way to rename things like Easter Bunny (Now Spring Bunny) and they still celebrate Christmas.

If you're not a Christian, stfu, don't meddle in someone else's religion and make it a news story. Seriously -who- the -***- cares? You aren't a Christian, you have no business celebrating Easter yet you think it's ok to change the name of the Easter Bunny despite being against Christianity and the notion of what Easter represents. You're against Christianity, yet I see so many people (so many -atheists- in my area) are celebrating Christmas. IDC if it's 'holiday' season or not, when I am at work and it's the day of Christmas Eve, I am going to say "Merry Christmas" why? Because the day itself is Christmas, not 'holiday'

Don't go "rational thinking" when atheists are just as hypocritical as Christians when the atheists want to rename a christian holiday just so they can celebrate it.

You do know the origins of those holidays and symbols? You know, that Chrstianity took over and renamed?
LAWL.

Seriously. Paganism called and it wants its old holidays back. Amazing to me how many Christians are ignorant to the fact that Jesus was not born in December and Easter changes every single year. Nevermind the fact that the holidays were renamed holidays to appeal to converters from paganism.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-22 17:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Intelligence isn't exactly the calling card of the faithful.

Blind adherence to dogma on the other hand...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2014-04-22 17:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Under Allah.

The one true God. My scimitar and suicide vest says so.
ِAllah is not specific to Muslims, it's simply the word "God" in Arabic. Arab Christians and Jews (even pagans 14 centuries ago) use it, and have it written in the Arabic versions of the Torah/Gospels.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-22 18:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Christianity/Islam/Judaism all worship the same God though it'd be blasphemous to say such a thing to true believers. Such is the conditioning that the same God could become the source of centuries worth of conflict.

Allah is used to denote the Islamic God in comparison to Yahweh/God (Jews) and God/Jesus Christ (Christianity) respectively. How the name is used is essentially left up to the believer.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2014-04-22 18:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Christianity/Islam/Judaism all worship the same God though it'd be blasphemous to say such a thing to true believers. Such is the conditioning that the same God could become the source of centuries worth of conflict.

Allah is used to denote the Islamic God in comparison to Yahweh/God (Jews) and God/Jesus Christ (Christianity) respectively. How the name is used is essentially left up to the believer.
The devil is in the details.

EDIT: but not really. I think Muslims would be the least likely to be offended because, as you know, they believe in the divine origin of Christianity and Judaism (i.e. that they were from God in their original, unaltered form). Christians believe that Islam is from satan, and Jews reject both Jesus and Mohammed.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-22 18:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Under Allah.

ِAllah is not specific to Muslims, it's simply the word "God" in Arabic. Arab Christians and Jews (even pagans 14 centuries ago) use it, and have it written in the Arabic versions of the Torah/Gospels.

Well, then no-one should object to saying "Under allah" instead of "Under God"?

Because that wouldn't create a crapfest faster than a herd of elephants on ex-lax.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-22 18:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shipp said: »
Jetackuu said: »
I think there's already been some court cases about the issue and they found it was no problem due to the ambiguous nature of the use of the word "god" as it doesn't necessarily mean just one. I still find that to be a short sided response in order to prevent mass riots, but hey.
The problem here is that it isn't ambiguous. It refers specifically to the Christian god as it is capitalized. It's using it as a proper noun, which is a definite Christian practice. Which other "God" would our nation be under? It certainly wasn't Zeus being worshipped by the majority at the time it was added to the pledge.
While I agree, I don't believe the results of the cases decided as such, I'll try to look them up later.

Personally I think it needs to be removed and doesn't belong on our money.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-22 18:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

For the record, Christmas is a stolen holiday the Christians used to convert Pegans. The week of Solstice has been the domain of many holidays before the Christian hijacking. From Egyptian mythology to Roman mythology. (I think Saturn's day was actually the 25th exactly) All predating the supposed birth of the Christ.

Easter on the other hand, as far as I know is truly a Christian exclusive holiday, but I could be wrong there.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2014-04-22 18:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Under Allah.

Because that wouldn't create a crapfest faster than a herd of elephants on ex-lax.
America isn't an Arab country.
 Lye
By Lye 2014-04-22 18:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Under Allah.

[+]
 Sylph.Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-04-22 19:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Under Allah.

Nor is America a religious country, period. So there is no reason for religious language in anything to do with patriotism or the government.
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-04-22 19:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Easter on the other hand, as far as I know is truly a Christian exclusive holiday, but I could be wrong there.
Fertility holiday. Pagan. Bunnies used to be considered hermaphrodites, and therefore represented fruitful reproduction, hence the Easter Bunny.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-22 21:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Fertility holiday. Pagan. Bunnies used to be considered hermaphrodites, and therefore represented fruitful reproduction, hence the Easter Bunny.

The Wicker Man (1973) will always be my favorite "horror" movie. Just seeing the disgust as Sergeant Howie goes about the island observing the "pagan" rituals instead of the Christian rites that usurped them is worth the movie itself, even if, instead of the course the story takes, it ended in an entirely innocent fashion.
By Ophannus 2014-04-22 21:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

America was never a religious country nor were the founding fathers very religious, in fact most of them hated religion and saw the flaws and corruption in it. America is more of a theocracy now than it ever was. You know how we call Pakistan and Iran "Extremist Muslim Countries"? Most of Europe regards us and how we handle Gays, Drugs, Censorship, as an extremist christian country. America is extremely conservative compared to the rest of the civilized world.
 Shiva.Tedril
Server: Shiva
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-22 21:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
America was never a religious country nor were the founding fathers very religious, in fact most of them hated religion and saw the flaws and corruption in it. America is more of a theocracy now than it ever was. You know how we call Pakistan and Iran "Extremist Muslim Countries"? Most of Europe regards us and how we handle Gays, Drugs, Censorship, as an extremist christian country. America is extremely conservative compared to the rest of the civilized world.
And clearly Europe's got their ***together for sure.
By Ophannus 2014-04-22 21:58:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I would submit that they did, socially. I think you're insinuating their financial crisis, which is pretty unrelated to their social affairs.(And let's be honest, their fiscal crises can most likely be traced back to USA's handiwork somehow).
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-04-22 22:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Tedril said: »
Ophannus said: »
And clearly Europe's got their ***together for sure.
Because America does have its ***together? Glass houses, man.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 10 11 12