Is It Time To Remove Under God From The Pledge?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Is it Time to Remove Under God From the Pledge?
Is it Time to Remove Under God From the Pledge?
First Page 2 ... 10 11 12
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-22 07:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

A new fight started in NJ last month.

Quote:
A national humanist group is suing a New Jersey school district on behalf of a family that believes the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance is discriminatory toward atheist children.

The lawsuit against the Matawan-Aberdeen Regional School District was filed in state court last month and announced Monday by the American Humanist Association, a Washington, D.C.-based advocacy organization.

The group says the phrase, added in 1954, "marginalizes atheist and humanist kids as something less than ideal patriots." The anonymous plaintiffs say those two words violate the state constitution's right to equal protection.
Source

A cut and dry argument from the school:
Quote:
David B. Rubin, a lawyer for the Matawan-Aberdeen district, said the district is following state law that requires the pledge to be said daily. The federal courts have upheld the constitutionality of the pledge in schools, he added, as long as students who object are not required to participate.

“We are disappointed that this national organization has targeted Matawan-Aberdeen for merely obeying the law as it stands,” Rubin said in a written statement.
Source

This issue have also been raised many times before, but a similar case involving discrimination has only been presented recently. The first time was in 2013 in Boston.
Quote:
Every attempt to eliminate the mention of God has thus far failed, but the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts will hear arguments on Wednesday seeking removal of the two words for a new reason: discrimination.

"This is the first challenge of its kind" said Roy Speckhardt, the executive director of the American Humanist Association, an atheist group arguing for the plaintiffs. "We feel very confident that we have a strong case."

That case, which was brought by an unidentified family of a student at a school in suburban Boston, will be argued on the premise that the pledge violates the Equal Rights Amendment of the Massachusetts Constitution. It is the first such case to be tried on the state level: All previous attempts have been argued in federal court on the grounds that 'under God' was an unconstitutional violation of the separation of church and state.
Source

So is it about time we change the Pledge of Allegiance? Are lawsuits the way to go about it? Who exactly do you sue if the school is only following the rules?
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-04-22 08:00:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It should really be removed but suing government official over it? Come on now. This is why in the UK we view Americans as a bunch of people just looking to sue eachother.

By the same token God should be taken out of God Save the Queen but I'm not going to sue 10 Downing Street because I'm an Atheist.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-22 08:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lawsuits, or attacking the money, seems to be the only way to get things done around these parts unfortunately.
[+]
By NoStylin 2014-04-22 08:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It does not belong their either way. Not a Christian nation and no religion should have any privilege.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Waff
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-04-22 08:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolutely. Remove that crap from our currency as well while you're at it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-22 08:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally can't figure out how or why it's okay for it to be there in the first place. We have a very clear separation of these things and due to this, the school cannot support any religion and yet that can get in there? I mean obviously there's a good portion of america that subscribes to "a god" but many don't and part of the freedom is from religion. Even a majority shouldn't be allowed to put this in place.

But honestly, I never liked saying the pledge in any case. I was very glad when I got to junior high and they stopped doing it.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-04-22 08:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Given the diversity of religions that exist in USA and basically every other country in the world, I agree that it should be removed. Not just for Atheists, but for all other non-Christian/non-Catholic faiths.

Unfortunately, the people who would fight to keep it in the pledge are usually the most vocal and most organized, so I don't expect it to be removed any time soon.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-22 08:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It was added in 1954 something something during McCarthyism because of degenerate communist atheists something something it's a paraphrasing of one line in Lincoln's Gettysburg address something something.... the cold war is over. So yeah.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Zorik
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Zorik
By Quetzalcoatl.Zorik 2014-04-22 08:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I never thought it was fair to the kids who's parents were Jehovah's Witnesses. They would stay in their chair while everyone else stood and said the pledge. Those kids got picked on all the way through school. No one would have even known their religion if it wasn't for that.

I would say take out the Pledge of Allegiance all together. What's the point? To brainwash kids into being patriotic?

Either way I'm not much for censorship. Keep it or remove it, but don't change it.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-22 09:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ouch my feelings please do something about them.

Washington offends me take him off the one dollar bill please.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-22 09:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Ouch my feelings please do something about them.

Washington offends me take him off the one dollar bill please.
Here's a fun fact:
Quote:
Andrew Jackson's hard fight with the elite bankers of his time against having a central bank, Jackson's achievements were all in vain when a group of elite banking individuals secretly traveled to Jekkyl Island in 1913 and created the Federal Reserve, which is now our central bank. Because Jackson so greatly opposed any form of paper currency, especially in $20 bills, the irony in all of this is that Jackson's face is printed on the $20 bill in order to mock him.
Source

So Jackson is on the $20 to mock him, not to honor him.
[+]
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-04-22 09:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
"Not every mention of God in public is a breach to the wall of separation - context matters. It is doubtful that children reciting the Pledge of Allegiance feel oppressed or brainwashed as a consequence of muttering the phrase 'under God.' I didn't."

June 28, 2006 - Barack Obama
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-22 09:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
Quote:
"Not every mention of God in public is a breach to the wall of separation - context matters. It is doubtful that children reciting the Pledge of Allegiance feel oppressed or brainwashed as a consequence of muttering the phrase 'under God.' I didn't."

June 28, 2006 - Barack Obama
Don't worry, he didn't really mean it (when it upsets his voters).
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-22 09:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

eslim said: »
it's already been removed in some of the south.
That's to shut the crybabies up really.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-04-22 09:44:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Zorik said: »
I would say take out the Pledge of Allegiance all together. What's the point? To brainwash kids into being patriotic?

In the Pledge of Allegiance, the words "under God" are best understood as a reflection of the simple historical fact that the Founders believed in a supreme being, and that their belief led them to dedicate the nation to the fundamental secular precept that all men have unalienable rights to liberty and justice.

Is there something wrong with encouraging patriotism?
[+]
 Sylph.Linkk
user: Linkk
By Sylph.Linkk 2014-04-22 09:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Zorik said: »

In the Pledge of Allegiance, the words "under God" are best understood as a reflection of the simple historical fact that the Founders believed in a supreme being, and that their belief led them to dedicate the nation to the fundamental secular precept that all men have unalienable rights to liberty and justice.

Is there something wrong with encouraging patriotism?

The reason it was added wasn't to reflect the founders but just another way to promote us and them with the former soviet union. Those godless monsters against the righteous god people. That’s what it actually boils down too

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-22 10:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopefully this didn't flag the copyright nonsense.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Sylph.Linkk
user: Linkk
By Sylph.Linkk 2014-04-22 10:04:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Having kids saying the pledge is just brainwashing. They are not taught to critically think about what they are pledging their allegiance too or to compare it with what other places do. I tell my kids don't say the pledge of allegiance for that reason and also tell them not to pledge allegiance to anything until you know and understand what they are actually doing. Knowing what this country has done, continues to do and is responsible for, I am sure my kids will never pledge.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-22 10:06:53
Link | Quote | Reply

As a nation founded on the idea of individual protection against the group, I find the Pledge of Allegiance antithetical to the national identity.

My school was fairly cool about not reciting the pledge, you had to stand in respect during the pledge, but didn't have to actually say it. Anyway, wasn't the "Under God" bit added during the Regan years? It's hardly a tradition if it was added by America's greatest traitor.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-22 10:08:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Linkk said: »
Having kids saying the pledge is just brainwashing. They are not taught to critically think about what they are pledging their allegiance too or to compare it with what other places do. I tell my kids don't say the pledge of allegiance for that reason and also tell them not to pledge allegiance to anything until you know and understand what they are actually doing. Knowing what this country has done, continues to do and is responsible for, I am sure my kids will never pledge.
So, first you accuse the pledge of allegiance as brainwashing, then you tell your kids not to recite the pledge. Isn't that also brainwashing your own kids?

Or is it ok when you do it?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-22 10:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
As a nation founded on the idea of individual protection against the group, I find the Pledge of Allegiance antithetical to the national identity.

My school was fairly cool about not reciting the pledge, you had to stand in respect during the pledge, but didn't have to actually say it. Anyway, wasn't the "Under God" bit added during the Regan years anyway? It's hardly a tradition if it was added by America's greatest traitor.
Our school system had it so ages K-5 had to recite it, after that you just had to stand.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-04-22 10:08:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Did anyone else have to recite a pledge to a state flag along with the US flag, other than KN? :/
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-04-22 10:09:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Did anyone else have to recite a pledge to a state flag along with the US flag, other than KN? :/
Damn, you know too much.

/*** gun
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-22 10:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

We did the pledge every day. And no I don't feel that it brainwashed me.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-04-22 10:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Damn, you know too much.

/*** gun

Grab your six shooter! Toe-to-toe on the Comal!!! HIGH NOON!
By fonewear 2014-04-22 10:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

If I want to be brainwashed I'll go to the Huff Post. Well to hate men at least.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-04-22 10:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Odin.Zicdeh said: »

My school was fairly cool about not reciting the pledge, you had to stand in respect during the pledge, but didn't have to actually say it. Anyway, wasn't the "Under God" bit added during the Regan years anyway? It's hardly a tradition if it was added by America's greatest traitor.
Our school system had it so ages K-5 had to recite it, after that you just had to stand.

That's a good point, I think that's how it was for me, but my "K-5" Years were so turbulent, the Pledge of Allegiance is something not stored in internal memory.

Texas does I think, but that's because they still cling to this ridiculous identity as an individual republic allied with the United States.

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
It should really be removed but suing government official over it? Come on now. This is why in the UK we view Americans as a bunch of people just looking to sue eachother.

By the same token God should be taken out of God Save the Queen but I'm not going to sue 10 Downing Street because I'm an Atheist.

It was my understanding that the (Any Monarchy actually) Monarchy officially is an institution of God. In which case (As an Atheist) I wouldn't make an argument that God Save the Queen is a violation of any kind. I'd argue that the Monarchy should just be tossed out, but then what Cultural export does Britain have to the United States anymore? Benedict Cumberbatch can only work so many days out of the year.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-22 10:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure the professional victims won't allow it.
First Page 2 ... 10 11 12