Is It Time To Remove Under God From The Pledge?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Is it Time to Remove Under God From the Pledge?
Is it Time to Remove Under God From the Pledge?
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 10 11 12
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-22 22:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
For the record, Christmas is a stolen holiday the Christians used to convert Pegans. The week of Solstice has been the domain of many holidays before the Christian hijacking. From Egyptian mythology to Roman mythology. (I think Saturn's day was actually the 25th exactly) All predating the supposed birth of the Christ.

Easter on the other hand, as far as I know is truly a Christian exclusive holiday, but I could be wrong there.
Many, many beliefs had a God reborn during the spring equinox representing replanting/renewing the Earth.

Edit:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/apr/03/easter-pagan-symbolism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ēostre
[+]
 Shiva.Wolfjorg
Server: Shiva
user: wolfjorgg
By Shiva.Wolfjorg 2014-04-22 23:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

You pray to your god, I'll pray to mine, and leave it at that. If parents don't like a school system, then pull your child out and home school them, if not shut the *** up and carry on.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-22 23:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Wolfjorg said: »
You pray to your god, I'll pray to mine, and leave it at that. If parents don't like a school system, then pull your child out and home school them, if not shut the *** up and carry on.
I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that it's not a viable option for many people, that and our government is supposed to be secular.
[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-22 23:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I think he phrases/abbreviations, gdi omg omfg wth should all be removed then. Because it should offend you that it references something you don't believe in.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-22 23:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I enjoy the blasphemy though.
[+]
 Shiva.Tedril
user: Tedril
By Shiva.Tedril 2014-04-22 23:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitler enjoyed the Holocaust...
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-23 00:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Tedril said: »
I think he phrases/abbreviations, gdi omg omfg wth should all be removed then. Because it should offend you that it references something you don't believe in.

You do know that god (especially lower case) is a word that has been around longer than God and has a definition that does not refer to the Christian/Judisim proper noun exclusively.

People could be referring the god Mars, or the god Odin, etc.

And really how is it equilivant that internet lol speech is the same as a National pledge recited in public school everyday?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-23 00:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

he's just being a whiny ***... (sorry but there's really no other way to explain it)

and:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-23 00:18:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Tedril said: »
Hitler enjoyed the Holocaust...
he was also Catholic and had ties to the Vatican, and used his faith to inspire the troops, your point?
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-04-23 00:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin > Yhwh, anyway.
[+]
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-04-23 00:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I was almost sure this thread would go poof on page 3 anywho carry on lol I feel like ive worked 38 of the last 24 hours
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2014-04-23 03:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shipp said: »
Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Under Allah.

The one true God. My scimitar and suicide vest says so.
ِAllah is not specific to Muslims, it's simply the word "God" in Arabic. Arab Christians and Jews (even pagans 14 centuries ago) use it, and have it written in the Arabic versions of the Torah/Gospels.

Well, then no-one should object to saying "Under allah" instead of "Under God"?

Because that wouldn't create a crapfest faster than a herd of elephants on ex-lax.
America isn't an Arab country.

Nor is America a religious country, period. So there is no reason for religious language in anything to do with patriotism or the government.
There isn't, and I wasn't even trying to discuss that. I clarified something I thought Sparth wasn't aware of (it had nothing to do with the thread topic, but so did his post - the more you know right?). Then Milamber came along and stated an obvious outcome of something nobody suggested.

"Under Allah" would be fine in an Arab country.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-04-23 03:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Watermelon watermelon watermelon watermelon watermelon = patriot
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-23 03:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

There isn't, and I wasn't even trying to discuss that. I clarified something I thought Sparth wasn't aware of (it had nothing to do with the thread topic, but so did his post - the more you know right?). Then Milamber came along and stated an obvious outcome of something nobody suggested.

"Under Allah" would be fine in an Arab country.
It has just as much place as "Under God" in America.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-23 04:40:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
It's only blasphemy if you're a believer.

So, technically, in order to blaspheme as an atheist (for instance), you'd need to say something like, "Damned entropy!" As someone who, when he actually does wish to express anger, says words like "blast!" and "bother!" instead of the litany of four-letter words that I use to look cool, I'm entirely comfortable with damning entropy.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-23 04:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

7 pages, well done!
By ElysiumTK 2014-04-23 06:18:15
Link | Quote | Reply

GOD BLESS AMERICA... LMAO plz
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2014-04-23 06:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It's time to remove the Pledge of Allegiance; it's total indoctrination.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-23 07:24:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
It's only blasphemy if you're a believer. So, technically, in order to blaspheme as an atheist (for instance), you'd need to say something like, "Damned entropy!" As someone who, when he actually does wish to express anger, says words like "blast!" and "bother!" instead of the litany of four-letter words that I use to look cool, I'm entirely comfortable with damning entropy.

I like to think of it as "potential blasphemy" as, strictly speaking, I'm agnostic, not full-on atheist. Because there's no way I can know for certain about any sort of intelligence that may have set things into motion. I think the potential for a God as believed in Judeo-Christian or Muslim sense is absolute nonsense and inconsistent with what we know of the world and the universe.

That said, you know how some people use the arguement "Yeah, but how can you be atheist? You know? What if? This way I'm protected" (which admittedly is a failed argument, but not the point);

I take the opposite stance. If there IS any sort of God as described in the widely-accepted world religions (that is to say, people laugh at Wiccans or anyone who were to still believe in the Norse gods, for some reason)...if there were to be a God as indicated by these people, I want to offend him (because it's always got a ***, right?).

I want that mother *** to know what a piss poor job I think he's doing with the world. If there were a galactic community of Gods and he's say, just the one for this planet, someone needs to call Child Services on his ***.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-23 08:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
I think the potential for a God as believed in Judeo-Christian or Muslim sense is absolute nonsense and inconsistent with what we know of the world and the universe.
Then you're at no risk for being a potential blasphemer. Blasphemy is faith-specific. If, every time I stub my toe, I reflexively shout "Joseph Smith!" I am not blaspheming because I'm not a Mormon. And will never be a Mormon. I may as well shout "Ben Franklin!" for all that it ultimately means. If I started shouting imprecations at Lao-Tzu, on the other hand... well, he'd just smile, anyhow. Blasphemy doesn't work well when religious figures don't have the kind of ego that gods have.

With regards to the rest, who's to say Child Protective Services hasn't been called? Our older brother, H. erectus, lived a long full life of 1,000,000 ridiculously successful and prosperous years. It is rather amazing that he even bothered evolving into the mutant forms that led to H. sapiens. But we've only been around for, what, a few tens of thousands of years? In galactic time, that makes us mewling infants, and we've only been slaughtering one another en masse and finding new and interesting diseases by *** green monkeys for the past 4,000 years or so. You can't expect CPS to show up within 10 seconds of little baby Homo sticking a fork into the electric outlet.
By fonewear 2014-04-23 08:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
7 pages, well done!

By page ten it will get really weird.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-23 08:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
I think the potential for a God as believed in Judeo-Christian or Muslim sense is absolute nonsense and inconsistent with what we know of the world and the universe.
Then you're at no risk for being a potential blasphemer. Blasphemy is faith-specific. If, every time I stub my toe, I reflexively shout "Joseph Smith!" I am not blaspheming because I'm not a Mormon. And will never be a Mormon. I may as well shout "Ben Franklin!" for all that it ultimately means. If I started shouting imprecations at Lao-Tzu, on the other hand... well, he'd just smile, anyhow. Blasphemy doesn't work well when religious figures don't have the kind of ego that gods have. With regards to the rest, who's to say Child Protective Services hasn't been called? Our older brother, H. erectus, lived a long full life of 1,000,000 ridiculously successful and prosperous years. It is rather amazing that he even bothered evolving into the mutant forms that led to H. sapiens. But we've only been around for, what, a few tens of thousands of years? In galactic time, that makes us mewling infants, and we've only been slaughtering one another en masse and finding new and interesting diseases by *** green monkeys for the past 4,000 years or so. You can't expect CPS to show up within 10 seconds of little baby Homo sticking a fork into the electric outlet.

Fine. PSEUDO-blasphemy.

Or...something. You're making it no fun now anyhow.

Really, it's just a matter of culturally hearing "Jesus Christ!" and "God dammit!" etc. for so long that I say them regardless of any belief I have in place.

Which ultimately is where I stand on the pledge of allegiance. I just don't give a ***. I approach it with the same eye-rolling tedium with which I stand up and remove my hat for the SSB when I go to sporting events.

I love my country, for all its flaws, but I don't need some terrible song (and let's be clear; the SSB is ***-all terrible) or a class of bored students tediously receiting the pledge without convinction to convince me to do so. Adding "God" into it or not means squat to me, as the verse itself is meaningless. Even if they were reciting it with fervor and conviction it wouldn't mean anything to me. You see a lot of patriotic and nationalistic speeches and recitations in films of Nazi Germany and the USSR as well.

As far as God being an analog for a bad parent, we all know CYS doesn't show their head unless either 1) an official complaint is filed or 2) the parents are actively and publically mistreating the children. Accidental/ignorant self-inflicted damage isn't even enough to get them to answer the phone much less leave the office.

That is to say, maybe Galactic CYS has been called, they're just repsonding to actual problems with the alacrity and reason of most American CYS.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-23 09:02:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Really, it's just a matter of culturally hearing "Jesus Christ!" and "God dammit!" etc. for so long that I say them regardless of any belief I have in place.
As do I. My pointing out that, as non-believers, it isn't blasphemous is exactly to stick it to that self-same culture that instilled its alleged blasphemies in the first damned place. I'm sure someone somewhere blasphemes Ganesha when they get caught in the rain without an umbrella, but no one has made it penetrate American culture so pervasively as to become meaningless.

And the utter meaninglessness of rote, cultural recitations is exactly why I don't really give two licks of a rat's *** about the Pledge and whether it has some vague deity in it or not. If the best you can do for your country is force your kids to jam God into something they literally don't understand, you may as well give up now. I see the people arguing on both sides of this debate the same way I see people whose lives peaked in high school: if that's all you've got, kill yourself and let someone else use the air you no longer need.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-23 09:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
if that's all you've got, kill yourself and let someone else use the air you no longer need.

And for ***'s sake. STOP BREEDING.
 Sylph.Knala
Server: Sylph
user: nala
By Sylph.Knala 2014-04-23 09:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
It's time to remove the Pledge of Allegiance; it's total indoctrination.

And its not like people actually take it to heart (well a select few might) but most just recite it because it's mandated, and it does not make you a patriot just for saying it.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-23 09:30:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I think people need to learn what indoctrination is...
By Ophannus 2014-04-23 09:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Inb4 hitler i.e Godwin's Law
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-23 09:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Wikipedia said:
Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine).[1] It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.[2] As such the term may be used pejoratively, often in the context of education, political opinions, theology or religious dogma. The term is closely linked to socialization; in common discourse, indoctrination is often associated with negative connotations, while socialization refers to cultural or educational learning
In short, this classifies as indoctrination.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-23 09:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
Inb4 hitler i.e Godwin's Law

Too late. I already referenced the patriotic recital of nationalist propaganda in Nazi Germany.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-23 10:05:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Wikipedia said:
Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine).[1] It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.[2] As such the term may be used pejoratively, often in the context of education, political opinions, theology or religious dogma. The term is closely linked to socialization; in common discourse, indoctrination is often associated with negative connotations, while socialization refers to cultural or educational learning
In short, this classifies as indoctrination.
It really doesn't. Inculcate is a new one for me though, thank you!
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 10 11 12