Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Geomancer » Bubble Trouble: A Geomancer Guide
Bubble Trouble: A Geomancer Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 73 74 75
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-05-06 20:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like I was beat to it, but well, I'll post anyway.

Practically speaking, Malaise will always win.

Technically speaking, it depends on your current MAB, and how much GEO+ you have.

Point for point, MBD- has a greater effect than MAB+. But Malaise has a much lower potency than Acumen.

842 combined skill and no GEO+
Malaise -14 MDB
Acumen +36 MAB

But GEO+ has the same effect on either spell. 3 per GEO+. So +15 for +5 GEO and +30 for +10 GEO. So
Malaise -29 / -44
Acumen +51 / +66
Dunna / Idris

Idris Malaise gets kinda monstrous.

Anyway that's the effect of GEO+, now for MAB.
Code
base	MAB	MDB	DMG
1000	51	0	1510
1000	0	-29	1408
1000	8	-29	1521
1000	66	0	1660
1000	0	-44	1785
1000	200	0	3000
1000	251	0	3510
1000	200	-29	4225
1000	266	0	3660
1000	200	-44	5357
At extremely low, or no MAB, Acumen will win, but it takes very little additional MAB for Malaise to pull ahead. In this case 8 MAB(would take more if the mob had MDB.) And Idris Malaise always wins.

With the levels of MAB that nuking jobs get even with mediocre gear, Malaise will always win.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-05-07 04:51:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I see.
I always assumed Buff and Debuff version of GEO spells to be approximately the same.

I know there's a difference between Fury and Frailty (with the former being slightly more powerful) now I'll add Acumen/Malaise to the list.
Any other notable example?

Debuff spells are pretty annoying to use in some circumstances, because they have to be cast on enemy targets. You can use Indi version to slightly reduce such problem.
The second issue is that you need to be into the targets' enmity list for it to be effective, but luckily that's not really a problem in places like Vagary.
 Sylph.Ykfan
Server: Sylph
user: Ykfan
By Sylph.Ykfan 2015-05-07 20:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

If the players have very good understanding in the damage calculation formula (MAB/MDB and pDIF), in most cases, Malaise and Frailty are always the better options.
 Bahamut.Malothar
Server: Bahamut
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2015-05-07 20:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
I see.
I always assumed Buff and Debuff version of GEO spells to be approximately the same.

I know there's a difference between Fury and Frailty (with the former being slightly more powerful) now I'll add Acumen/Malaise to the list.
Any other notable example?

Fade and Wilt are similar. Reducing an enemies attack to low enough amounts to cap your defense is easier than raising your defense high enough to cap against their attack, although it is fun to get 3k+ defense. Fade is fun since most enemies lack any form of +MAB. Bolster Fade = -100 MAB. With how MAB is a multiplier of your magic damage, it zeroes out all damage, unless the enemy has +MAB traits.

Quote:
Debuff spells are pretty annoying to use in some circumstances, because they have to be cast on enemy targets. You can use Indi version to slightly reduce such problem.
The second issue is that you need to be into the targets' enmity list for it to be effective, but luckily that's not really a problem in places like Vagary.

That's just part of playing Geo. On bosses and NMs, this isn't really an issue. But on trash mobs (besides Vagary and Incursion) it's important to remember that unless you're using some form of AoE, with multiple enemies you may be better off using buff spells simply to provide some benefit since you may not be capable of tagging each and every mob in time to provide the max benefit possible from a debuff. Granted, the game has approached a level of ease that thinking about things this in-depth isn't really required anymore; most trash will blow up within seconds.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-05-09 11:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply

A competent friend told me the Theurgic Focus category has a wrong description.
It doesn't add +magic damage but Spell Damage %.
Anybody has some test to share about this? Would love to see it.
 Bahamut.Malothar
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2015-05-09 20:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I really doubt that's the case, it's be very noticeable if your nukes were 30% stronger. No testing to back it up though. Regardless, there's no reason not to max it anyways.
 Fenrir.Montaeg
Server: Fenrir
user: Montaeg
By Fenrir.Montaeg 2015-05-09 22:13:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Right now with indi-malaise up:

Aerora on 4 Blanched Mandragoras:
3752 w/o TF
4429 w/ TF

I have 7/10 TF JP so that should be +21 Magic Damage. I can try to figure out if that translates correctly but I'm not super familiar with the magic damage equation.
By gargurty 2015-05-10 15:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone got a ws set for aeolin edge and gust slash for me to look at? Energy drain to if poss. :)
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-05-10 18:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

gargurty said: »
Anyone got a ws set for aeolin edge and gust slash for me to look at? Energy drain to if poss. :)
GEO can't get enough dagger skill to use Aeolian Edge. And gust slash would require /THF, merits And some dagger skill+ gear.

If you need a magical cleave ws, you might look into cataclysm.
By Creecreelo 2015-05-10 23:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
gargurty said: »
GEO can't get enough dagger skill to use Aeolian Edge. And gust slash would require /THF, merits And some dagger skill+ gear.

If you need a magical cleave ws, you might look into cataclysm.

Geo has a C- in dagger, so they can get well above the skill needed for AE, and since /rdm is such a common sub for the job, it's likely they'll have AE and Gust Slash. Since Geo can use levante dagger, it isn't a horrible option for cleaving, but in the end, I would agree to just use Cata.

An interesting option could be to use Levante with homestead wand for reives, but I haven't personally tried myself.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-05-11 00:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Huh... I was certain GEO didn't have dagger skill. Admittedly, I've never had cause to use one on GEO.

Much derp. Well, my apologies for giving out inaccurate information. And thank you for the correction.
By gargurty 2015-05-11 01:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Geo also can use ternion dagger nq/hq :) its mostly a fun toy but also can get allot of mp back with energy drain.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Montaeg
By Fenrir.Montaeg 2015-05-13 06:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Geo doesn't get Myrkr and it doesn't get any native occult acumen. Many sad faces.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2015-05-13 07:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

MND only helps with Holy nukes too. (And certain enfeebles.)
So it's marginally worthless to build toward. And absolutely worthless to build toward in a nuke set.

Stun: need to be /BLM so no DW so staves are generally better... But a 119 club could be made up for... You'd just need to compensate a lot. But aside from that, Macc. Cap FC as much as possible, the real thing with stun isn't the -80% casting time reduction, it's the recast reduction. So FC can't be a precast only set for stun, otherwise you loose any point to FC's delay reduction and basically just wast your own time.
Macc and then INT are priority. Even a 8/9s stun won't matter if it doesn't land.

Nuking: MAB and Mdmg. Macc helps too, but MAB should be prioritized slightly over it. Just slightly since most of the best nuking pieces GEO can use also come with Macc in varying degrees.
INT helps too, so don't renegade on that. However, the Meebles body is a very good nuking body because it can keep your MP up. (Fairly certain GEO was put on it, but can't remember.)

GEO stuff: rare is the time you're gonna be near a mob with today's endgame... If ever. So a DT set for yourself isn't that big of a deal to have. (Learn to stand outside the range of moves but close enough to buff is fine... If for some reason people demand you do that.)
But you should have a pet DT set. DT. PDT is basically a waste of space because most of the really nasty things are Breath or magic damage. So I wouldn't bother with the Magian staff.
Regen is also important too, Telchine pieces can get up to 3 regen and 4 DT each, which matches regen available to RF pieces, with added DT. (Though you'll still want the RF3+1 head for the skill, and the Moogle Kupo d'tete(*** my French is rusty) hat has more DT can Telchine can get, but only 1 regen vs 3.)

Casting buffs, your head, body, and hands slots are locked out because that's the +skill gear slots (precast in FC).
I'd recommend always casting in the RF3 feet since that triggers the set bonus with the hat. (10%)
Legs should be RF2 for indi spells. W/e is kinda irrelevant for GEO spells. Nothing in that slot for them really. (Maybe RF3 but they're so terrible by themselves I can't justify the inventory for them just for a 5% better chance at free geo-spells. But that's just me.)

And enfeebles... You almost never cast these but wind up doing it more than stunning. At least I do anyways.
Macc and WKR shoes. That's basically it.
Lots of INT and MND but I'm pretty sure you cap durations just from high iLv stuff anyways.
But the INT and MND help with Macc too. (It varies per spell which does.)
(As to why you never really get this roll is because a RDM is there, and they have better enfeebling gear... They're usually there for Haste/Flurry2. If no RDM, you should learn to haste cycle, since that's the primary secondary job GEO winds up doing.)
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2015-05-13 11:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
There are club ws's for mana but I don't think they're too good.

Only good MP restore Club weaponskill is Mystic Boon, and that's WHM exclusive.

Spirit taker (staff) is miles better than any other club option, even if it's not as good as Myrkr.
[+]
 Fenrir.Montaeg
By Fenrir.Montaeg 2015-05-13 12:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Montaeg said: »
Geo doesn't get Myrkr and it doesn't get any native occult acumen. Many sad faces.
Thus why I said that's what BLM, SCH and even SMN can do for nuking but I don't know what GEO would get instead of Occult Acumen, supposedly magic crit rate isn't a very good stat b/c it only amounts to maybe like 10 MAB better than nothing tho I suppose

You said you weren't sure about whether GEO go Myrkr I was just trying to be helpful >_>/ Also no native occult acumen trait means your TP return on nukes is waaay lower than a BLM, because only your gear augments will get you TP. I personally have occult acumen on mine, because I wear the gear on BLM as well, but I think you can probably leave it up to personal preference. I usually never lock my weapon on GEO unless I am meleeing though. What I would really recommend for good MP upkeep is to invest time in getting the Seidr Cotehardie. It's like BLM AF1 reforge except for more jobs. It's not ilvl, but with focus and decent gear in other slots it's amazing for nuking pretty much everything except certain vagary bosses.

and healing, which if you have a subjob with the ability to cure you'll be doing it sooner or later.

Typically you don't care about MND on your nuking set because your healing set consists of completely different gear. Maybe that's what you meant, but from the wording it seemed like you were going to try for MND on the nuking set. Actually MND on helios would be marginally helpful for a Flash Nova set since the modifier is MND. >_>/

Also when it comes to a -DT set, it's importance really depends on how you intend to use GEO. Are you just playing it to get into vagary runs and manaburn PTs and buff BLMs? -DT is not really necessary in those groups, but if you intend on doing other content, like Delve or the rare incursion or even debuffing the fairy or nuking slimes in vagary, you're going to want some -DT so you don't soak up WHM MP like a sad GEO sponge or hit the floor too often.
 Fenrir.Montaeg
By Fenrir.Montaeg 2015-05-13 13:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Haha, ok sometimes it's hard to parse over the internet XD

For the leaf aug on pieces where you don't want FC I really just have one piece of advice left: I wouldn't spend a lot of gil on it. :P

Also, I think most people have a healing set made of telchine pieces, because the healing augs are more common on those. There are also pieces like bokwus gloves, nares trews and heka's that have some cure pot and aren't from yorcia skirm if you happened to have any of those. If you're looking for MND (and no INT) on those I recommend using dusk orb stones since they're alot cheaper (at least on my server) and can also give MND augs.

For -DT the Hagondes (skirmish 1) gear is better. The Hagondes pants are also an amazing nuking piece. When I'm near the mob and have a pet out (pre-idris) I'm usually in Hagondes body/head/legs and rings/earth staff for -DT and AF1 hands, augmented geo cape, isa belt, and dunna for Pet -DT. I think I wear the bagua feet for pet regen too. I find that's a good mix for me and luopon. I would wear those Pet DT earrings too if I could ever get one to drop for me :/ When you're not near the mob (which is a lot more common for GEO now than pre-vagary), you can switch into the full pet regen and pet DT telchine set if you make it. I personally really like this set for low man slimes cause nothing is quite as awesome as a perma BoG malaise bubble Q_Q
[+]
 Asura.Jkun
user: CiermeL
By Asura.Jkun 2015-05-15 08:46:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Just when you thought JP grinding reward=effort ratio couldn't get any more stupid after Widened compass effect...

Concentric pulse effect
Increases damage dealt by Concentric pulse by 1%.

The other one we got is definitely a win though. Indi duration up to +20s at 10/10, sooo close to fulltime Entrust upkeep with 2 GEOs! And finally 550 gift is Aspir 3.
 Fenrir.Montaeg
By Fenrir.Montaeg 2015-05-15 08:55:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Not that Aspir 3 isn't nice, but I was still holding out hope for indi-regain. So far we share all our new spells with BLM :< Also worth noting are +8 Geomancy skill and +8 Handbell skill at 320 and 360 (not sure which is which), which is giving I think 2 tiers in fury and at least 1 in precision from some brief testing I did yesterday. I'll look into acumen later too. There's also a +11 macc boost in there somewhere and +3 magic damage (lol) at 500.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2015-05-15 09:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I was expecting -ra3 as final gift.
SE even mentioned them some time ago =/
 Bahamut.Lordesequiel
user: Esequiel
By Bahamut.Lordesequiel 2015-05-22 12:01:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Can anyone show me an up to date set for casting geo spells and for nuking >.> Everything is confusing me now!
By Nocki 2015-05-23 18:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 334607

Ideally all 3 helios piecs are augmented with INT +10, MAB +25 (or MAB +20, MACC +20), and Magic Critical Hit Rate +8%.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-05-28 12:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Are there any new tiers now that we can hit 879 and 889/w Renaye Ring?
 Fenrir.Montaeg
By Fenrir.Montaeg 2015-05-28 20:04:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Whoops I posted this in the wrong thread before: 1 tier in fury and precision with the ring. None in haste but mine is 41.666% now it seems. That's all the tests I ran.
 Shiva.Zykei
Server: Shiva
user: Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2015-05-29 13:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Question about conserve MP, do I equip it during midcast or aftercast?
Not sure if midcast would roll over to aftercast if you don't have an aftercast set (gearswap of course).
 Ragnarok.Luloo
user: Lulo
By Ragnarok.Luloo 2015-05-29 15:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Question, since i'm lost on luopan/pet damage taken, would u use a selenian cap with dmg-10 and regen+1 or an azimuth hood +1 on a perpetuation set?
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 73 74 75