Lv.70 Toad
= Uragnite (Straight unlock, PLD/???)

Lv.70 Pugil
Lv.70 Manta
= Orobon, (Straight unlock, WAR/WAR)
Pygmy Orobon (10,000 Infamy, WAR/WAR)

Lv.50 Orobon
= Ogrebon (18,000 Infamy, DRK/WAR)

Anyone know the size of the Krabkatoa skin? If it's not the same size as normal Krabkatoa, wont bother getting it, is why I'm asking.
 Valefor.Rocl
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Rocl
By Valefor.Rocl 2014-02-20 19:53:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Portercrab (krabkatoa model) is small. It's like the krabs in Rala Waterways.

And yes, Sea Monk gets Maelstrom at 60.

Normal/pygmy orobon are WAR/WAR
 Ragnarok.Sharain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sharain
By Ragnarok.Sharain 2014-02-21 10:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Back on the topic of forest carp creels, I think SE ninja changed MMM. It used to give single forest carps with Clarisse on saltwater (granted that was years ago when I last tried), just now I got 2 creels from the common chest (and one from personal).

It's still stupid random though, since if NPCs catch even one three-eyed fish, they pretty much autowin.

Edit add: Salinity shift and Lost and Found equipped, no other runes. Noddy/puffin rings to get bigger fish and less mobs. Large MMM ball temp bait.
 Phoenix.Gameesh
Server: Phoenix
user: Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2014-02-21 18:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Just like to confirm I got Uragnite. Level 70 crab and toad seems to be correct. Still no Ruszor. They sure have some high requirements for this monster...
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2014-02-22 15:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll confirm that the Moat Carp Creel is for the Normal Hermitage crab. And the Forest Carp Creel for the Vermillion Hermitage crab.

Maybe because I got crab to 15 before I checked Suibhne he asked for a Forest Creel.
And just as said previously, that's more trouble than it's worth obtaining. So I just leveled stuff till I hit 10k infamy. Then whacked my alt account mule with 50k Prestige stashed, for the other 10k.
(She lost 15k of her 50k prestige though. Which I'm a bit bummed about.. I swear it used to be 20% of it to me, = 10k. And she would lose 12.5k prestige..)
*edit* And yes I realise they changed the amounts in the last update. I assumed it would be in our favor lol.

Anyway... immediately after buying the Vermillion crab with that 20k infamy. Suibhne offered me a monster for a Moat Carp Creel. Which was of course the remaining Hermitage crab.
So you can do them the other way round. As long as you remember which is which..
 Asura.Kazmazza
Server: Asura
user: Kazmazza
By Asura.Kazmazza 2014-02-22 18:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I can confirm that level 70 Manta and Pugil is also correct for Orobon.

Orobon instinct I costs 7 and is:
Accuracy +17
Def +3%
Cure potency +10%

Also at 30 its monster skills are:
Hypnic lamp (100% TP)
Seaspray (150% TP)
Seismic tail (200% TP)
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2014-02-24 09:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

So I need this Toad at 70 for the Uragnite unlock I see?

Any advice from people who have got it anywhere above 30 as to how best to go about that?

30 doesn't bother me on anything. I enjoyed Slime even for the change it gave me.
30-40 the mobs start getting a wee bit hardier.
40-50 is still easy enough. Stuff dies without too much complaint.
It's the 60+ I'm not seeing. By then it's a trial leveling anything up that hits really weakly. And with no weapon or pulling skills to boot on the Toad? That's going to be painful I would guess.

Or is it just Bubu under belligerency from 30 all the way to 70 basically?
It's actually fast enough doing this I know. But for 40 levels? Ouch lol..

Any ideas/methods appreciated.
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2014-02-25 04:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

What I do for monsters that have a hard time chaining T's and VT's:

1 -> 9 in South Gusta
9 > 30 in Buburimu
30 > 35 in Lufaise meadows (there's a good camp near Tav. Safehold; southwest area of the map)

At this point you have a few options. What I like to do is use RoE to my advantage. I either spam buburimu or go do something else until 200 enemies is 199/200, then get the last kill as the monster.

Xarcabard bellingery is certainly doable by Toad; if you got the correct instincts. Some heavy attack, double attack and haste instincts help loads. It's not a bad monster by any means; it's MUCH better then Chigoe or DQ slime.

In the end I got Toad to 63 by using normal level camps and used Buburimu for the last few levels. Taking down Taurs and Kindred as a toad is a tad slow ^^;
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2014-02-25 10:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gameesh said: »
What I do for monsters that have a hard time chaining T's and VT's:

1 -> 9 in South Gusta
9 > 30 in Buburimu
30 > 35 in Lufaise meadows (there's a good camp near Tav. Safehold; southwest area of the map)

At this point you have a few options. What I like to do is use RoE to my advantage. I either spam buburimu or go do something else until 200 enemies is 199/200, then get the last kill as the monster.

Xarcabard bellingery is certainly doable by Toad; if you got the correct instincts. Some heavy attack, double attack and haste instincts help loads. It's not a bad monster by any means; it's MUCH better then Chigoe or DQ slime.

In the end I got Toad to 63 by using normal level camps and used Buburimu for the last few levels. Taking down Taurs and Kindred as a toad is a tad slow ^^;

Ah kk [Thank You] for the pointers ^^

And yes, the monsters killed RoE page I abused as my Apkallu. God I hated that thing by the time it hit 50 for the NM lol.
Switching it in every time I could put 5k on it easily. Then taking it just over the next level on a page and going back to BLM to spam some more. Actually it got me a few merits I suppose.

And of course provided Toad can hit hard enough it will be no problem at all barring the lack of pulling options on the pipsqueak.
I have my second account with 2 curing monsters at 99 now thanks to the previous double xp campaigns. (Rabbit for the huge MP pool. And Tiger if I want to level a faster moving monster myself)
 Leviathan.Krysten
Server: Leviathan
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2014-02-28 02:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Vermilion Crab PLD/RDM
Vermilion Basket-burdened Crab RDM/PLD

what is the difference??? jobs dont "sub" so they both are the main point.... am i missing something?
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-02-28 03:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The job traits and available spells are the same, but you only get the job abilities of the main. I'm a fan of RDM/composure for reasons of teh lazy. :D
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder 2014-02-28 05:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Frankbrodie said: »
So I need this Toad at 70 for the Uragnite unlock I see?

Any advice from people who have got it anywhere above 30 as to how best to go about that?

30 doesn't bother me on anything. I enjoyed Slime even for the change it gave me.
30-40 the mobs start getting a wee bit hardier.
40-50 is still easy enough. Stuff dies without too much complaint.
It's the 60+ I'm not seeing. By then it's a trial leveling anything up that hits really weakly. And with no weapon or pulling skills to boot on the Toad? That's going to be painful I would guess.

Or is it just Bubu under belligerency from 30 all the way to 70 basically?
It's actually fast enough doing this I know. But for 40 levels? Ouch lol..

Any ideas/methods appreciated.

Buburimu will always be the fastest way to level, especially for garbage monsters like the toad, slime, etc. I'd recommend if you can afford it, the 3,000 infamy exp bonus and to keep applying it to speed your leveling, but otherwise, expect 50-70k an hour. Turn on RoE Buburimu, fire and earth crystal, 100 enemies in monstrosity, and 200 enemies. Equip any double/triple attack instincts you can, preferably stuff that also gives attack and go to town. Your aim is to 3-4 shot each enemy, and if you can't do this, it will be considerably slower, but still your best option. Honestly, you'll do 30-70 on toad in about 4 hours, so pop in a couple movies and grind it out.

If you'd rather prefer normal leveling:

50-52: Xarcabard demons outside Uleguerand Range, so you can continue to build infamy.

52-56: Uleguerand Range NE of zone on rabbits/bats/worms, again for infamy.

50-56 is murder and generally a nightmare this route, as well as a bit slow for a good majority of the monsters, so if you'd prefer otherwise:

50-55: Crawler's Nest Dragonfly. You can try for 56 here but it's slow.

56-62/63: Lesser Colibri.

63-69/70: Colibri.

You can do Imps in Caedarva Mire at 69 if Colibri are too slow for the last level.
[+]
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2014-02-28 08:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder said: »
Buburimu will always be the fastest way to level, especially for garbage monsters like the toad, slime, etc. I'd recommend if you can afford it, the 3,000 infamy exp bonus and to keep applying it to speed your leveling, but otherwise, expect 50-70k an hour. Turn on RoE Buburimu, fire and earth crystal, 100 enemies in monstrosity, and 200 enemies. Equip any double/triple attack instincts you can, preferably stuff that also gives attack and go to town. Your aim is to 3-4 shot each enemy, and if you can't do this, it will be considerably slower, but still your best option. Honestly, you'll do 30-70 on toad in about 4 hours, so pop in a couple movies and grind it out.

If you'd rather prefer normal leveling:

50-52: Xarcabard demons outside Uleguerand Range, so you can continue to build infamy.

52-56: Uleguerand Range NE of zone on rabbits/bats/worms, again for infamy.

50-56 is murder and generally a nightmare this route, as well as a bit slow for a good majority of the monsters, so if you'd prefer otherwise:

50-55: Crawler's Nest Dragonfly. You can try for 56 here but it's slow.

56-62/63: Lesser Colibri.

63-69/70: Colibri.

You can do Imps in Caedarva Mire at 69 if Colibri are too slow for the last level.

Does it let you use the Dedication under Level-Sync at Buburimu?
I'm not saying it doesn't. But I swear I used the 400 one just after they introduced it. Warped out under beligerency, and my dedication was gone.
Figured it was it level syncing me. Though maybe I manually knocked it off myself if not..

But yes, I've definitely come to appreciate Buburimu over the last week or so. Didn't use it much before then.

Only really used it for BLM monsters so far. And then only at 10k+ infamy for the extra 20 points to set.
I go with -
Scorpion I
Rafflesia II
Antlion II
Ram I
Eft I
Sea Monk I
Coeurl III
BLM

Which is exactly 60 points.
This puts my Stone II's in the very high 400's on the BLM crab just introduced.
Or today just getting a bit more infamy so I'm doing the BLM Tree to get that level 60 instinct from it. (Two birds one stone sort of thing) And getting slightly lower numbers.. 460-ish mostly.

With this setup I can 1-shot the crabs on the East beach 95% of the time. Maybe more. Very few resists fighting the EP stuff obviously.
Also managing to 1-shot quite a few of the other mobs with the crab often enough to be a big help. Maybe not 50/50 but good numbers of them

Any suggestions from anyone how to eke out a few more points of damage to allow me to 1-shot more stuff? And also of course on the crab a few more points would take me over the 500 RoE page requirement too.

Not tried much other stuff yet out there as BLM. Did the Pugil 60-70 there though, for the Orobon unlock.
 Fenrir.Mefuki
Server: Fenrir
user: Mefuki
By Fenrir.Mefuki 2014-02-28 08:25:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I routinely hit for 500+ with:

Black Mage
Manticore II
Eft I
Eft II
Coeurl III
Scorpion I
Treant II
Treant III
Rafflesia II
Antlion II
Tarutaru II

This is 79 points which is no problem if you're keeping your Infamy in the 20+ range. I get about 90K/hour on BLM monipulators with this build. This set-up is enough to one shot all in Buburimu mobs except for Goblin Leechers, Bogy and Pugil. Also, if your base INT is low (26~), you'll have a harder time breaking that 500 damage threshold and one shotting mobs.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder
By Quetzalcoatl.Kainstryder 2014-02-28 08:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, dedication works in level cap, but NOTHING ELSE, so don't waste points on protect, shell, haste etc.

You should aim for HNM status, which will give you 80 points max. That will allow you more options to 1 shot everything. This is what I'm using now, at 80.4k an hour, and I'm at 90% attention doing it:

The white balls are BLM and Taru II instincts. Monsters' INT will vary between 25-37 or so, 25 is the worst possible, so you need as much INT as you can get. With higher, you can reach 600+ per stone 2. As you can see in the log, I'm doing 545 or so, low as 490-510ish. Wind weather is your bane, so expect 2 shotting to happen often.

Also I kill along the east coast, dhalmels, crawlers, goblins, birds, and undead. I avoid the beaches, as there isn't enough mobs.
[+]
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2014-02-28 08:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah cool. I didn't know that 20k+ infamy would allow me 80 points.
Might be time to steal all those points back that I dumped on mules. (alt account I mean. With 50k prestige on a couple of characters still)
I've never really bothered going above 10k before except to buy NM monsters.

Some very nice pointers for instincts to set there. [Thank You] both ^_^
 Asura.Kadoyuu
By Asura.Kadoyuu 2014-03-05 12:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruszor is way too small to be a bluebox monster :(. It is smaller than the Limbascabra.
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2014-03-09 19:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm honestly a bit disappointed in Ruszor. Considering all the work you have to do to get him too.
Limascabra and ESPECIALLY Ogrebon were vastly superior (and a lot more fun to play as). Sorry SE, but you dropped the ball on Ruszor. There's not even a Sedna subspecies! (level 50 and don't have it yet; might be higher up but I doubt it).
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-03-09 19:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sedna subspecies? You're aware Sedna is identical to typical Ruszor besides size, and certain abilities/traits, right? It isn't a different skin.
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2014-03-10 19:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Sedna subspecies? You're aware Sedna is identical to typical Ruszor besides size, and certain abilities/traits, right? It isn't a different skin.

Well.. I guess. But I mean we got the bosses from Aby-Konschtat, Misareaux, Altepa, U. Range, and Grauberg.

They could have made a subspecies who was just.. bigger and had a different job set; maybe one ws the normal Ruszor didn't have.

I was just really looking forward to playing as Sedna, that's all :/

Here's hoping we are getting Glavoid in the next update...
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2014-03-10 19:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I was thinking Sedna might be a big subspecies of Ruszor, like how they have "Ogrebons" that are basically just big Orobons, but a new species all together.

But its not.
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2014-03-10 19:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The only 'small' difference I could find between Orobon and Ogrebon (besides the size) was the shape/color of the lanterns.

Honestly I didn't even consider Cirein-Croin as a different species. But when I unlocked it as a playable monster I was hoping for Sedna as well.
 Asura.Kadoyuu
By Asura.Kadoyuu 2014-03-10 21:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gameesh said: »
The only 'small' difference I could find between Orobon and Ogrebon (besides the size) was the shape/color of the lanterns.

Honestly I didn't even consider Cirein-Croin as a different species. But when I unlocked it as a playable monster I was hoping for Sedna as well.

I got my Ruszor up to 82 and there is no subspecies as far as I've seen... Having 1k+ attack is about as good as Ruszor is gonna get iGuess.
 Cerberus.Firinia
Server: Cerberus
user: Firinia
By Cerberus.Firinia 2014-03-13 09:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

This is probably a given, but does anyone know if 25% haste is the cap for monsters with instincts?

It probably is, but I've never had enough haste to even bother testing, lol. Think I have like 27% in haste, which would be too small for me to notice if it effected... I'm working toward the Frog Haste instinct though...

Another question:

Does anyone know if the Bugard's +25% Attack instinct effects the monster's base attack only, or the combined attack with instincts? (I was thinking of getting this instinct after the frog one since my Bugard is 68.)
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2014-03-13 13:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

lol I sort of always assumed that the 20% Haste for the Toad instinct III was a wind up if I'm honest.

Until today when I also noticed it up on the BG instincts page.

I'm no expert with numbers in FFXI. But I'm to assume that even at 30 points to set Haste+20% it is an absolute given on anything melee orientated?
Time to wallop 70-90 on that toad before the end of the double xp campaign I guess.

Took me maybe an hour or so to do 74-90 on my tree with the dedication set and the double xp.
Didn't realise for a couple of days that of course double xp pertains to dedication too. So if you pay 400 for the 2k bonus one, you can earn 4k bonus before it wears.
8k total + all the RoE completions = 10-12k per run of 5-6 minutes in bubu. And time to rest between the runs. I love it.
 Cerberus.Firinia
By Cerberus.Firinia 2014-03-13 14:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I read on the SE page that dedication for Mons doesn't stack with the EXP event though? Guess I better go reread it.

Edit: Yeah, the SE page says:

"2.) Double Monstrosity experience event
Experience earned by monipulators will be doubled!
* Monipulators are unable to receive the effects of Dedication. Be advised that possessing a monster while under the effects of Dedication will remove those effects."
 Cerberus.Firinia
By Cerberus.Firinia 2014-03-13 14:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Frankbrodie said: »
I'm no expert with numbers in FFXI. But I'm to assume that even at 30 points to set Haste+20% it is an absolute given on anything melee orientated?

In regards to this, it actually takes me far more than 30 points to get 25% haste with the haste instincts I have. Takes about 50-55 or so FP, so 30 for 20% haste is very nice. Admittedly, some of the haste ones do have some extra things that make them nice, so I'll prolly use them as well, but that's also why I want the Bugard instinct. The Slow on it will be offset now with all the haste I have.
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-03-13 14:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Firinia said: »
I read on the SE page that dedication for Mons doesn't stack with the EXP event though? Guess I better go reread it.

* Monipulators are unable to receive the effects of Dedication. Be advised that possessing a monster while under the effects of Dedication will remove those effects."

It is worded badly. It means if you use the rings you lose the buff. If you get the dedication buff from the 'corpselights' (I was informed they are not called sperm skull thingies.) it stacks with this event exp boost.
 Shiva.Dourid
Server: Shiva
user: Dourid
By Shiva.Dourid 2014-03-13 15:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ackeronll said: »

It is worded badly. It means if you use the rings you lose the buff. If you get the dedication buff from the 'corpselights' (I was informed they are not called sperm skull thingies.) it stacks with this event exp boost.
I was gonna say.. SE is definitely lying then since I just took pugil from 70-90 in a few hours courtesy of the combined effects of the double exp and dedication.

Whoever came up with the blm int/earth mab stacking strat is a freaky genius. Many thanks for that.
 Phoenix.Frankbrodie
By Phoenix.Frankbrodie 2014-03-13 15:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep that was what I assumed for those first couple of days.
But once I had capped my infamy and wasn't bothered about wasting some, I tried it. And it worked.

And it's wonderful.
First Page 2 3 ... 34 35 36 37 38