2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Summoner in Delve - share your stories
Summoner in Delve - share your stories
First Page 2 3 4 5
By Luvbunny1 2013-07-29 07:01:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Akhilleus said: »
Drop the case for SMN please. This thread is more of a vindication of your desire to go to delve as SMN, rather than a thread discussing and ultimately disregarding it as an inferior choice in comparison to optimal setups. The hypothetical pimped SMN Vs. an under-geared job or an unavailable support job is just a hypothetical idea, but in practice the reality is blatantly obvious. SMN is inferior to jobs of equal stature that are more suited.

LOL actually I been going on delve farm as SMN - and been enjoying every minute of it. 3-6k damage BP. My party get full bonuses that last over 2.5 mnt -3 mnts long from hastega, evasion + accuracy, phalanx, warcry, ice spikes, stats bonuses etc. A good SMN can be a good team player. The mentality of bring jobs XYZ need to die. Every jobs that are played well can contribute on delve plasm run. Rather than waiting on hours for "optimal jobs xyz" maybe you should take people who are good at what their main and geared right. Granted you still need a healer, that's non negotiable, but SMN can easily fill a support role nicely. Cookie cutter mentality makes everyone goes stupid - thinking outside the box should be encouraged instead of looked down upon. There is no reason why Blue Mage, Dancer, Ranger, Summoner and Beastmaster cannot go to delve plasm party and those jobs can contribute effectively instead of sticking with the tried and true formula.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sambb
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2013-07-29 07:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Tried and true formulae of bard march > everything else, maybe you can rep a cor but their job is to pull and roll, your favour only works when in range of pt members, so please explain how this can be more beneficial. There is a reason people want bards and cors, a reason people want the best 2 handed DD, the faster you kill the more plasm you get. Your smn I'm sorry to say in a decent pick up delve run is going to offer nothing exceptional.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2013-07-29 07:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Luvbunny1 said: »
Also why people are insist to farm in Morimar all the time? Ceizak farm is far more easier if the group knows what they are doing (and cheaper pop item).
Why would you choose to farm a zone where you're gimped for 1/6 of the time?
By Luvbunny1 2013-07-29 07:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

To make a successful plasm party works well required co-operation and communication with your team members. Jobs XYZ is just an easy way out of a tried and true strategy. I am well aware that one SMN cannot turn the tide of a party dynamic, it still required a whm who are well geared and understand how to manage MP, a bard who can sleep the adds, and DDs who use food, reraise items, have decent gears and upgraded their delve weapon beyond rank 2...

In an ideal set up where you can log in and find your perfect jobs with perfect gears and get them all ready under 20 mnts, then everything should "technically" run smooth. Most of the time, it does not. Until plasm party become as common as well oiled Abysea seal farm or empyrean items farm, you will always have to deal with a few rotten apples. Just saying that instead of you MUST get 2 corsairs, or 2 bards etc, people should start thinking outside the box. I have been in some run with no bard or no corsair in a party (and no, I was not a summoner in those run) and it went well because the members work with what they have and help each other to ensure a smooth painless run. Whereas I also have been to a "technically jobs xyz" party, and have a total craptacular farming experience.

When your party members communicate, work together as a group, and help each other, delve farm is painless and not stressful at all - borderline too easy because we run out of mobs to kill and respawn was slow. This same cookie cutter mentality is what killing the game, from warrior TP burn in sky, monk burn in KRT, colibri burn meripo of yesteryear - instead we should work together with what you have and make the best out of it.
 Cerberus.Elflegolas
Server: Cerberus
user: Elf23
By Cerberus.Elflegolas 2013-07-29 07:57:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Your argument is the same argument SMNs used to make back at 75 cap for an EXP party invite. This is the way of SMN. If PD is not needed and its not an all SMN alliance, you're not going to be asked to come SMN.
 Carbuncle.Sambb
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2013-07-29 08:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

And your response above luvbunny is an acceptance of getting in adequate plasm return, no your pt was not ok not having a brd in it, because that party output simply is going to blow with no march or haste. If you feel getting 3k plasm per run is fine then go do it.... But we don't need to know how Smn is awesome. Some one said above its only niche was perfect defence, that's been nerfed. If you don't want to wait for a brd or cor fine. Just make sure everyone else is comfortable with gimping their output. We have a career Smn in our ls and even they have seen its not practical to use it atm. So why can't you.
 Asura.Ackeronll
Server: Asura
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2013-07-29 08:45:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn no BRD = 3k plasm? My group did it wrong the other day! I should have reported them. We had no BRD in my group and there were DD WITHOUT DELVE WEAPONS! We got a horrifying 6k plasm! The non-delve DDs were doing more damage then the delve DDs too! GOD HELP US!

Back to seriousness though. If you are bringing SMN for DD you're gonna be disappointed. I wish it was different but in order for it to really change SE would need to revamp avatars or lower the BP CD to 30s baseline. Which probably won't happen seeing how SMNs would be able to zerg way too much then, along with the huge mana issues it would bring.

Till then you are stuck with the non-delve DDs. Meaning getting into a group once in a blue moon.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-07-29 09:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

6k plasm is pretty horrifying... :(
 Asura.Ackeronll
By Asura.Ackeronll 2013-07-29 09:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »

I don't have a delve weapon so its the only run I've ever been in!

*goes back to the corner to cry himself to sleep*
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-07-29 10:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you know, we could change with the times and become more flexible to enjoy the current content requirements, and still play our favorite jobs in content that they were designed for.
 Ragnarok.Sharain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sharain
By Ragnarok.Sharain 2013-07-29 11:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

To make a successful plasm party works well required co-operation and communication with your team members. Jobs XYZ is just an easy way out of a tried and true strategy. I am well aware that one SMN cannot turn the tide of a party dynamic, it still required a whm who are well geared and understand how to manage MP, a bard who can sleep the adds, and DDs who use food, reraise items, have decent gears and upgraded their delve weapon beyond rank 2...

In an ideal set up where you can log in and find your perfect jobs with perfect gears and get them all ready under 20 mnts, then everything should "technically" run smooth. Most of the time, it does not. Until plasm party become as common as well oiled Abysea seal farm or empyrean items farm, you will always have to deal with a few rotten apples. Just saying that instead of you MUST get 2 corsairs, or 2 bards etc, people should start thinking outside the box. I have been in some run with no bard or no corsair in a party (and no, I was not a summoner in those run) and it went well because the members work with what they have and help each other to ensure a smooth painless run. Whereas I also have been to a "technically jobs xyz" party, and have a total craptacular farming experience.

When your party members communicate, work together as a group, and help each other, delve farm is painless and not stressful at all - borderline too easy because we run out of mobs to kill and respawn was slow. This same cookie cutter mentality is what killing the game, from warrior TP burn in sky, monk burn in KRT, colibri burn meripo of yesteryear - instead we should work together with what you have and make the best out of it.
I'll be frank with you Luvbunny. To me it seems like you want the cookie cutter setup minus that one slot that's for your unique snowflake'ness. First you say that need well-geared whm, brd who can control adds and good DDs in the party with your smn. Then you say that people should not be stuck in the "jobs xyz" mindset. So which is it?
By nyheen 2013-07-29 13:20:17
Link | Quote | Reply

this 1000 times. no one seems to think outside the box and it very sad:(
By Luvbunny1 2013-07-29 13:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »

Indeed, sadly most pick up group plasm party would be so very lucky to hit 6k per run. I always get around 4.5k-5.5k per run on a good run. Only once hit 6k. The worst was 2k.... And this is me coming as a healer, NOT Smn. FYI I don't ALWAYS come as SMN, probably only 4 times at most. I am not suggesting oh yeah grab just random jobs instead of jobs that have been proven useful and works for plasm party. But holding your alliance for another half an hour trying to get corsair in your party is not fun...

Considering you probably get by the number bard, corsair or healer (which happen so very often) - your corsair will just put their two rolls, and pray they are 11 or bust. Most often they do nothing other than putting rolls, light shot, occasionally dark shot, and toss random heals (yes a good corsair will tweaked their gear set, bring expensive bullet and draw the hate out of the party with wildfire lol).
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-07-29 13:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

The most plasm I've gotten in a PUG was 8550. Of course we had good cors and bards, but we also had good DD, so naturally the cors couldn't pull hate even if they wanted to.

Luvbunny1 seems to contradict himself in every post he makes.
By Solrain 2013-07-29 13:41:31
Link | Quote | Reply

This same cookie cutter mentality is what killing the game, from warrior TP burn in sky, monk burn in KRT, colibri burn meripo of yesteryear - instead we should work together with what you have and make the best out of it.

Yeah, those WAR TP burns and MNK KRT burns really did kill the game back in 2005 and the Colibri parties killed the game in 2008. Oh wait, it's 2013. They didn't.
By Luvbunny1 2013-07-29 13:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sharain said: »
I'll be frank with you Luvbunny. To me it seems like you want the cookie cutter setup minus that one slot that's for your unique snowflake'ness. First you say that need well-geared whm, brd who can control adds and good DDs in the party with your smn. Then you say that people should not be stuck in the "jobs xyz" mindset. So which is it?

NO... the 2 party other than paladin party needs a HEALER (which can be WHM, SCH and even RDM - that's THREE variant of jobs that can heal - heck Blue can also be geared up as healer if needed, NOT suggesting to get BLU to come as healer btw). If your party has 2 DRK, then put a career WHM with good refresh gear in it. If your party has a lot of MNKs, SCH or RDM will works just fine. DDs (which usually consist of MNK, DRK, and SAM the most common jobs for the run, though other DDs with delve weapon + gears can work as well). AND Support jobs (usually BRD and COR, no contest the best two support jobs). Your PLD party should be PLD + WHM + RDM set who handle 4 NMs (assuming mata is killed every time, normally PUGs party do not kill mata). Typical PUGs always need 2 PLD for safety (which usually brings down the total plasm per run) - though a WAR with twilight who don't mind sacking will do just find (but I would not suggest it, just not fair for that person to loose xp the entire run).

I am only started the thread to see if there are good stories about SMN in delve party. So far my experience coming as SMN has been good. Typically I just come as healer or RDM in PLD party. The lack of finding good healer is astounding.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2013-07-29 13:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Why should we work together to make the best of a bad situation that you're creating by being lazy?
By Luvbunny1 2013-07-29 14:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Solrain said: »
Yeah, those WAR TP burns and MNK KRT burns really did kill the game back in 2005 and the Colibri parties killed the game in 2008. Oh wait, it's 2013. They didn't.

You don't seem to get it... this game has 22 JOBS. You don't need to get stuck with the same set up every single time. There are TONS of ways to set up a good party or alliance. I don't insist to ALWAYS come as SMN - the few times I did was to test the job.

Back in the old school party days, you need a tank, a healer, support and 3 DDs or no one wants to go make party. BUT 2 thieves, 2 dancer, a blm and rdm can actually make a very good set up VS mobs that are weak to dagger (and have the melee SATA back and forth between 2 dancer, create skillchain and magic burst). 2 war/ninja, 2 SMN and 2 BLM can make it work fighting VT mobs as long as your warriors SC distortion and have your mages magic bursted at the end.

If your party members know their jobs and role, there are many ways you can experiment in this game and make a lot of things work. Co-operation and communication is a key, and trying different setting and approach can be a fun discovery. You don't need to always fall into the XYZ cookie cutter set up. They created THREE areas to farm and do delve, which means there are several ways to handle each one of the areas - but people always go to Morimar every single time without fail.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-07-29 14:08:12
Link | Quote | Reply

smn sucks at delve

you are a bad player and very stubborn

i thought you already quit for 14, since it's more your speed

i don't think that was a haiku
By Luvbunny1 2013-07-29 14:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
badly geared any jobs sucks at delve. i thought you already quit for 14, since it's more your speed

You don't really quit FFXI, you always come back. And you suck at being such a negative nancy every single time without fail. Post a valid argument, and learn how to think outside the box.

SoA expansion sure does its share of many problems at launch, it has plenty of good ideas on a lot of things but badly implemented. The last few updates and upcoming ones are aimed to correct this. And future updates seems brighter. FF11 and FF14 can co-exist. You don't need to quit to join the others. But you can always go back and forth between the two games. There are a lot of good things about FFXI and there seems to be a lot of great things in FF14 as well

What is so great about FFXI is the possibility and finding out jobs combination that is outside the box. Trying to push each jobs capabilities and see how it works in non normal party set up.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-07-29 14:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Why did this thread go for 2 pages? Smn is bad, there's no questioning that.

I understand if someone can't bother to wait for perfect setup and goes with what they find, they're free to do so and I acknowledge it.
But from that to defending smn status as useful is nonsense, smn sucks at this point, the only job I consider worse for usefulness is ninja.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-07-29 14:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

SMN: It's slightly better than just going 17/18!
[+]
By Solrain 2013-07-29 14:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Solrain said: »

You don't seem to get it... this game has 22 JOBS. You don't need to get stuck with the same set up every single time. There are TONS of ways to set up a good party or alliance. I don't insist to ALWAYS come as SMN - the few times I did was to test the job.

Back in the old school party days, you need a tank, a healer, support and 3 DDs or no one wants to go make party. BUT 2 thieves, 2 dancer, a blm and rdm can actually make a very good set up VS mobs that are weak to dagger (and have the melee SATA back and forth between 2 dancer, create skillchain and magic burst). 2 war/ninja, 2 SMN and 2 BLM can make it work fighting VT mobs as long as your warriors SC distortion and have your mages magic bursted at the end.

If your party members know their jobs and role, there are many ways you can experiment in this game and make a lot of things work. Co-operation and communication is a key, and trying different setting and approach can be a fun discovery. You don't need to always fall into the XYZ cookie cutter set up. They created THREE areas to farm and do delve, which means there are several ways to handle each one of the areas - but people always go to Morimar every single time without fail.

Oh I get it. I was more referring to how you're citing party makeups from 7 years ago as "killing" the game.

No one is saying that other party setups don't work, of course they do. They just don't work nearly as well as proven setups do. I know we're supposed to play this game for fun, but some events just aren't fun for most people. Old meripo and new Plasm parties usually fall into this category. They're just a means to an end and we try to make them as painless and efficient as possible so we can move on to more enjoyable things faster.

Thinking outside the box is fine, just remember that the instruction manual is inside the box.
 Asura.Ackeronll
By Asura.Ackeronll 2013-07-29 14:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Why did this thread go for 2 pages? Smn is bad, there's no questioning that.

I understand if someone can't bother to wait for perfect setup and goes with what they find, they're free to do so and I acknowledge it.
But from that to defending smn status as useful is nonsense, smn sucks at this point, the only job I consider worse for usefulness is ninja.

Think its a tie really.

Pretty much if you can't fit into the cookie cutter builds you're useless.

Also push this to page 3! You can do it!
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2013-07-29 15:25:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You're on about using SMN because of derps. Sorry but I don't play with derps as I make use of Blacklist.

You want to build gimps groups with derps so your smn will win? I'd rather just build a good group and go on a good job. I've had an issue with the occasional idiot in the past but thats why you blacklist and never allow them back.

And to point out, have you seen how many people go to abyssea without gear / Atma's? It isn't about giving people time to get used to the event, if at this point you don't know what you're doing, you need to quit. Or stick to Casual gaming.
 Sylph.Linkk
Server: Sylph
user: Linkk
By Sylph.Linkk 2013-07-29 15:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

lol wow, talkin about being a little versatile in a party setup in a plasm farm "PLASM FARM" can get you in so much trouble. You know what is a wasted slot? A person that does nothing, a person that is always weaken, and a person who dc's for the whole run. *5 if they are a whm or sch lol That’s it. He's (or she with a name like Luvbunny lol) not talkin about fightin the MB's. So a smn, ONE smn takes the spot of a melee or semi support. OHH NOOOOO. Quick send lol tells to your friends or complain to you LS of the blasphemy that you are witnessing unless you are the smn of course lol. Check your parse and plasm count so you can run to post about it. My goodness there goes the extra 5k plasm you would have got lol. Must be hard for some people to take a crap because they are such tight *** lolol
By Luvbunny1 2013-07-29 16:18:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Indeed I did get 5k plasm and more coming as SMN, and suffer very little mishap. No I am not claiming my SMN makes a big difference and turn the tide whatever and saving the alliance. Our PUGs just have good party and people who know their roles and not AFK, getting DC or do stupid things. An alliance consist of 17 other people beside me, and everyone has to pull their weight and contribute, no one job there is going to be able to play to their fullest extent if no one is working together and co-operate.... The amount of vitriol in this forum is so thick, enough to poison the entire village lol. As stated I don't come to delve plasm party insisting I have to be THE SMN, I go with other jobs usually. And the few times I do get to come as SMN, it has been quite fun, no one dies, everyone get full buffs from all the BP wards, and the meele killed easily, whm have close to full mp at all times. Everyone was happy and getting 5-6k per run.

Perhaps you should be more positive in your outlook instead of constantly being negative nancy. It's not like a user name like Linkk (oh how so creative of you) is making you a better gamer either.
 Sylph.Linkk
Server: Sylph
user: Linkk
By Sylph.Linkk 2013-07-29 16:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh Luvbunny, my post was sarcastic towards the people saying smn is a wasted spot. I completely agree with you. I can understand why you are a bit defensive after the comments I read but don't make me change sides simply because you don't understand sarcasm in your favor lol ; )
By Luvbunny1 2013-07-29 16:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

:) Thanks and I am sorry if I was being defensive and misunderstood your sarcasm. I just think a player who can and understand how to play their jobs and role in the party is not a wasted spot. I am not advocating to start having full SMN roaming party on delve plasm.... but in the rare occasion where you have to settle with by the numbers corsairs or bard, perhaps a fully geared SMN is not a bad choice to bring.

PUG party is always hit and miss, you can get fully geared players and still have crappy run because leader did not communicate clearly or the group has no sense of co-operation and working together as a team. Mainly because plasm run is not yet a common daily activities for all players. And you get so many by the numbers healers and support jobs that want to take the easy ride out so they can get delve weapon for their DD jobs and never have to come as healer or support again (thus they don't see why they should gear those jobs, as long as party get their two songs and two rolls, and your healer can cure 4).

The XYZ job set up in theory is the most efficient and practical, but it ends up leaving A LOT of jobs out and killing tons of jobs that are not considered "delve efficient" - even if those players with said jobs are very well versed in the game mechanic and probably do much better jobs than your by the numbers xyz jobs. All I am saying is, don't box yourself in, and start thinking outside. Good players + skills + well geared always trump by the number jobs XYZ.