Release Your Inner Otaku!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Release Your Inner Otaku!
Release Your Inner Otaku!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By Triffle 2013-05-07 01:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

IF YOU HAVE ANY SPOILERS PLEASE HIDE THEM WITH THE SPOILER OPTION!

Hiya fellow Otakus! I know I'm not the only one who is crazy about Anime and Mangas. I'm making this thread for all the people out there like me to discuss everything we love about Anime and Manga.

Whether it be your classic romance and comedies like Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts

or the fighting and magical series like Fairy Tail;

this should be a sanctuary for all like minded fans. So come on and join me in discussing our favorite aspects of the Anime and Manga world!

Here's a break down of age groups for Manga:

Shounen: Action packed scenes and adventures. Usually mostly male protagonists. Generally marketed for boys ages 13-18.

Shoujo: Mostly about romance and love stories. Generally marketed for girls 13-18.

Seinen: A more adult version of Shounen. Generally marketed towards an older male demographic.

Shoujo: A more adult version of Shoujo. Usually deals with romance in the workplace and more adult relationships.
By Triffle 2013-05-07 01:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a list of some Animes and Mangas that are examples of discussion topics (also a list of some of my favorites):

- Baka and Test: Summon the Beasts
- Steins;Gate
- Naruto
- Bleach
- Death Note
- Kekkaishi
- Tales of Symphonia
- Tales of the Abyss
- Green Blood
- Code Geass
- .hack/Sign
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Trigun
- History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
- Hell Girl
- Tsubasa Chronicles
- Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
- Durarara!!
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
And Many more!

Got any drawings of yours you want to share? Post links on this thread here.

Feel free to post links to your Anime merchandise collections if you have pics. Especially statues and figurines since I'm looking to start my own collection.

I can also post links to your collections if you want me to.
Anime Statue/Figurine Collections:

Anime Cosplay:

Other Anime Merchandise Collections:

Here are some links to OPs for different Animes. If you feel like starting up a new one maybe some of these will interest you.

- Baka and Test OP1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbYLXGt2IH0

- Steins;Gate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJEGb4MPV6I

- Fairy Tail OP 14 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7NDGHzFPro

- Tales of the Abyss Anime OP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5UIJ4109uQ

- Kekkaishi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xht0MY1Tjnk

- History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi OP2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nROoQMClf3U

- Hell Girl OP1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X89XPyiLBO0

- Code Geass OP1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXxPf5mGK9Y

- Tsubasa Chronicles OP1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVzrWXh-dYk

- Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood all OPs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrAPB4ldS7E

- Durarara!! OP1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O9hRcIAza0

- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann OP3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zun7op9i4JQ

- Digimon Tamers Japanese OP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEN8V6km3Rs

- Bleach OP13 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL0OSgnEop0

- Death Note OP1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkXw1iBgzoY
By Triffle 2013-05-07 01:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's something to get us started. What do you all think about Fairy Tail? Do you think they are going to resume making the Anime anytime soon? Personally it's one of my top favorites and couldn't believe it when they said it's cancelled. =(
 Phoenix.Lillicarnage
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Lillica
By Phoenix.Lillicarnage 2013-05-07 01:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

inb4 I post links to my Yoko figure collection.
[+]
By Triffle 2013-05-07 02:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Do it. I loved Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Been thinking about starting my own figure collection sometime. =D

Got my eye on this Kurisu Makise statue to start it off.

[+]
 Phoenix.Lillicarnage
By Phoenix.Lillicarnage 2013-05-07 02:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It is a very expensive hobby I can tell you that.

http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Janakin617/pictures/
[+]
By Triffle 2013-05-07 02:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I want them. I plan on getting ones from a variety of Animes though. A Yoko figurine or two is definitely a must. ;D
 Phoenix.Lillicarnage
By Phoenix.Lillicarnage 2013-05-07 11:16:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Triffle said: »

I want them. I plan on getting ones from a variety of Animes though. A Yoko figurine or two is definitely a must. ;D

Well if you really want to get into figures, that site I linked to is a great community site for that. They have an area where people are selling figures and you can find great deals, also people will post links when they find good deals on hard to find figures or used figures on japanese hobby sites.
By Triffle 2013-05-07 12:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sweet, thanks! =D

Found some really nice ones I want. My pocket shall be hurting for a while. xD From my favorite JRPG series, Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Xillia.

[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-07 12:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

FairyTail is the manga that is satisfying me the most at this moment. I love Bleach, but Kubo sucks and never enjoyed Naruto.

Also love One Piece, but lately it's been a bit slow, it still needs to pick up after the war.

Other manga I read atm are Claymore, Soul Eater(it's very good, though I'm not enjoying the Moon saga too much), KissxSis and um...something that doesn't come to mind atm, I recall them when the new release pops lol.
[+]
By Triffle 2013-05-07 12:52:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I liked Bleach a lot, Naruto Shippuden was only one that interested me.
Never read One Piece, is it worth picking up? The 707 chapters seems a bit daunting.

Might try it, just finished watching Baka and Test and need something new to watch and read. xD
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-07 12:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

One Piece is awesome, though starting such a long series from scratch...I don't recommend it to anyone lol.
[+]
 Sylph.Knala
Server: Sylph
user: nala
By Sylph.Knala 2013-05-07 13:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

About fairytale, It's very popular probably just taking a break to allow for more canon content to come out to help avoid filler.

That said ever since the writers strike back during the second season of heroes and bleach/naruto going into filler arcs at the same time (iirc writers for both animes were part of the amreican film writers guild) i have not watched too much anime as of late.

Read manga like a fiend though, also might note many awesome series never make it to animedom.

Mahou Sensei Negima (the manga, anime differed greatly from the manga)
Mx0 (ended a bit premature sadly...)
Psyren (this deserves an anime, ending was rushed, so was negima's saldy felt like they got told to wrap it up asap T.T)
Eden no Ori (aka the garden of eden f'n awsome also should be an anime)
Double arts (only 20 chapters got canceled right as it got interesting...)
Nanatsu no Taizai (hope this gets an anime/catches on)
History's strongest disciple Kenichi (has an anime but there is so much more to the series worth the read)
Nolbless (manhwa/web comic)
Tower of God (same)
Girls of the Wild (same)
Soul Cartel (same)
Feng Shen Ji (manhua)
7 Seeds (Josei esc art style apocalyptic future japan survival best sums this one not usually a fan of the josei art style but like this one)
Bio-Meat: Nectar

Just to name a few off the top of my head.

My feelings on one peice... I think i read around 200 maybe 300 chapters of it and got sick of the series i enjoy the over all storyline and most of the other characters but i just plain can't stand luffy.

Unlike naruto who's slightly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE but over time grows and matures past his childish antics (for the most part) luffy pretty much has to ruin any victory and or epicness of a scene a few seconds later with general retardation. (ps just my feelings on OP)
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-07 13:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I only watch the 13-26 episodes anime, watching the long ones will obviously take you on a huge fillertrip, you can't escape that. So I only read the manga for those ones.
[+]
By Triffle 2013-05-07 13:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't read most of the list but I've gone through all of Mahou Sensei Negima. Couldn't get into the Anime for that, but the manga was really well done.

I also love History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi. Caught up on the manga for that and avidly waiting for them to release more OVAs and I hope they start up the Anime series again.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-07 13:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah, I read Tower of God, forgot about that. I liked the first part during the exams much more though, this second saga is a bit meh imo.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2013-05-07 13:11:29
Link | Quote | Reply

current Fav is Fairy tail <manga>, because it has maintained constant trough out most of the series.
Tower of God is also damn good.
also love reading Negima, as it is the only manga I don't read online and just buy.
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is a good read too.

many series I have read that are completed, just either turn out weird or is a *** up on the last saga, examples, Air Gear, Cage of Eden and Get Backers.

Soul Eater was a good read, too bad I have yet to see an update in forever :/

One piece was good at some point, but it seems like it is loosing is touch shortly after the new world leap, hopefully this will improve. not recommended to start reading unless you have the time.

Naruto and Bleach... BLEH. random good chapters here and there, but why cant it be finished yet?

GE - Good ending and Kimi no iru machi are a good read, if you are into school drama and dayly life stuff, tho, not everyone will like KNIM...

Liar game was fun, if it ever updated...

other things I have enjoyed reading in the past.
Zach Bell!
Tsubasa
xXx Holic
Kare Kano (love it too)

also have read some good ecchi/mature material, which I wont name here :x
[+]
By Triffle 2013-05-07 13:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yay Tsubasa Chronicles! Never finished xXx Holic though I know it's kind of a companion to Tsubasa and the first few volumes were good. Zach Bell brings back memories from when I was younger, I remember I used to watch it.
 Sylph.Knala
By Sylph.Knala 2013-05-07 13:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: To clarify most of this is in response to Misao

Eh only thing wrong with Cage of Eden (eden no ori annotated this wrong earlier) was the open ended finish... seems to be that author's thing oh well.

And considering you listed air gear im surprised you liked the ending to Tsubasa... to me they felt equally abstract and muddled.

Also for a long while i had been buying manga to support the authors but i never read the "offical" translations mind you Negima is what got me into manga in the first place, during the mahora fest arc the trans group fell apart and it must have been a good six months before someone else picked the project up seriously, during that time i must have re read the translated chapters around 5 or so times.

That said i got curios one day and busted open one of my hard copies and began reading... i got about halfway through volume 2 and got peeved off, they way they translated negi at least in the beginning seemed arrogant in scenes where he was actually panicking that and i noticed a lot of blatant translation errors which could have easily been avoided if they looked at the frames they were translating.

For example negi's first day teaching and asuna's trying to get him to use magic again and is obviously using bits of eraser to peg negi upon running out she thinks "damn ran out of rocks" -.-

As far as naruto's concerned they are defiantly on their way to the end of the series, just too many characters to keep up with/too much stuff going on at once so it gets easy to lose interest due to flashbacks and building the backgrounds up. personally i enjoy the development but can understand why it's probably boring the heck out of others.

As far as bleach is concerned to me post aizen feels like DBZ post freeza/cell to me. Cell arc felt kind of like a stretch to me but at least the red ribbon army was relevant to goku's old days. Not to mention it just seems like the story has poor planing across the board i mean he spends the time keeping sado relevant only to have him accidentally mismatched against the second most powerful opponent each arc and taken out like a little b@#$% got really old fast...

Hell this whole last arc seems to be setup to finally tie up that one loose end he created bach when isshin randomly called ishida's father cousin right after finishing off (the partially hollowized?) king fisher. Least it somewhat explains why despite being a shinigami why isshin couldn't save ichigo's mother... among other things. Either way this does need to be the last arc of bleach.

As far as kimi no iru machi goes i feel the same way about starting that series as i do any rumio takahashi work, while suzuka's story line was probably pretty realistic... idk kept me interested all the while made me feel like i wasted my time once it finally ended...
[+]
By Triffle 2013-05-07 13:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The ending of Tsubasa was pretty bad, but the entire story leading up to it was pretty good.
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2013-05-07 13:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Knala said: »
Eh only thing wrong with Cage of Eden (eden no ori annotated this wrong earlier) was the open ended finish... seems to be that author's thing oh well.

And considering you listed air gear im surprised you liked the ending to Tsubasa... to me they felt equally abstract and muddled.
cage of eden got canceled, so the author just rushed the ending, leaving a lot of plot holes opened.

airgear, the battleship and especially the final chapter, I thought it was a mess, the way it was writen, while it tried to make it awesome, it was a little... (how do I say it...) I think it didn't fit it so well, and slowed the pace to it rather than make it awesome.

Tsubasa was a decent ending, maybe it made more sense to me because I am a Clamp fan, and I read xXxHolic as well?

edit: granted, I cant seem to recall the ending of tsubasa right now lol
By Triffle 2013-05-07 13:40:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The very ending of Tsubasa.
 Sylph.Knala
By Sylph.Knala 2013-05-07 13:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Tsubasa started going weird after clone syaoran's link gets broken and takes Fai's eye.

And up until gorgon shell (aka Mimasaka Ryo) takes a helicopter blade to save aeon clock... up until then it was all about air gear competition (with some brawling) turned dark fast.

@Trif as far as i know XXXholic is incomplete too...
[+]
By Triffle 2013-05-07 13:49:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess your right, it doesn't look finished. 213 chapters out.
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2013-05-07 13:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been hearing quite a lot of Attack of Titan anime, so I bypassed the anime and went straight for the manga.
seems interesting so far, but there is just something about it that I cant pin point, that makes it a little annoying :/

while I havent watched as much anime as I had in the past, I still try to make some space for Saint Seiya Omega, seeing as I grew up with Saint Seiya as a kid. it is a lot different than what the original series was, yet retains some elements. only thing that annoys me is, that each character has a less set of moves, and the differences in power between ranks just got blurred out :/
 Sylph.Knala
By Sylph.Knala 2013-05-07 13:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a tendency to edit my posts about 20x times anyways just re re re edited fyi.
 Bahamut.Raidriar
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Raidriar 2013-05-07 14:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I just got around to watching Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) and I really liked it. It's a darker anime with a lot of blood and some gore and filled with psychopaths that aren't phased at all by murdering other people. 26 episodes and I never found myself bored, so I would reccomend this show.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-07 14:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I read Mirai Nikki's manga as it came out, it was really awesome. Loved #9.
[+]
 Sylph.Knala
By Sylph.Knala 2013-05-07 14:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Heh totally forgot about that, there is a new manga by that author though haven't seen an update on it in a while might be canceled...

Ah its called Big Order perhaps there just isn't any one translating atm. its off to an interesting start either way. Looks like a more shonen-esc/epic style story line vs psychopathic really hope it keeps going.

Also just reminded myself about Gan Kon another interesting series just starting out.
 Phoenix.Marija
user: Marija
By Phoenix.Marija 2013-05-07 14:18:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Love the .hack series; I`m guilty of playing the games too lol

I watched Durarara on Adult Swim,got hooked and then they stopped airing it.><

I lost track of Tsubasa Chronicles around manga 10. How many are in the complete series?

Full Metal Alchemist is good though I prefer the original to Brotherhood. More in depth in the story.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6