No Last Stand. What Do?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » No last stand. what do?
No last stand. what do?
 Odin.Ladyrikku
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: LadyRikku
By Odin.Ladyrikku 2012-09-14 06:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Note: This is just my view as a Career Ranger.

Last Stand is great in voidwatch when you can have (near) unlimited TP from Dusty Wing/Monarchs and Temps together with Fanatics to keep yourself alive when you pull hate.

But that's not what a ranger is supposed to do, we are not going to dish out omgwtfbbq damage comparable to an equally equiped Front line job. A ranger is (and was) always used as a out of AOE range damage dealer while keeping out of the target's hate.

I've been ranger for events since way back when Rngs had to kite Kirin to Sandworm/Ixion, Odin V1/V2, Salvage, Legion (All Rooms inc Mul).

A good ranger isnt one who can dish out the most damage while MPKing everyone else (We are not talking bout VW here), it is one who can balance hate while doing damage with little to no resources on the whm to cure.

My LS runs 2 Muls (36) every week and we have a total of 4 rangers for Mul (2 Annihilator 2 Yochi). We are tasked to kill the Harpy while the DDs take on the other 3, so hate control is very important in that fight. My LS has no problems killing 4 Waves per Mul (Thats 2 Bot/Gallu).

To the OP:
You options are to either get Armageddon/WoE Gun for Wildfire (Still kicsk ***), Gandiva for Jishu (Cool looking), or if you are willing to burn 100million, Annihilator for the "hate-less" damage.

Last Stand is great for VW and Abby or if you like posting Epeen damage but ultimately it isnt that great a WS when you need to balance hate.

My 2gil worth.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-09-14 07:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
I think it's safe to assume new content will take the same direction as Odin II, especially after the latest comments from Matsui.

Siren.Froggis said: »
lets not forget the unknown value of courser's roll aka snapshot roll, which I'd guess an 11 is about 20% reduction maybe 25% with empy +2 feet. That's just a guess, no testing.
Still wouldn't roll that. Chaos/Tactician if I have a rng.

I'm under the impression that Tact is only good if it put you 1+ hit less, otherwise snapshot wins?
 Siren.Inuyushi
Server: Siren
user: Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2012-09-14 08:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Ladyrikku said: »
But that's not what a ranger is supposed to do, we are not going to dish out omgwtfbbq damage comparable to an equally equiped Front line job. A ranger is (and was) always used as a out of AOE range damage dealer while keeping out of the target's hate.

Sorry, this just made me lolwut. At one point, Ranger was THE DD. Ranger used to be up in the mob's face, taking hate and blasting away the mob. Then they nerfed the dmg by making ranger have to stand away from the mob and not allowing them to swing their daggers or axes for that extra tp.

Like I said, just made me go "lolwut." Continue on...
 Odin.Ladyrikku
Server: Odin
user: LadyRikku
By Odin.Ladyrikku 2012-09-14 08:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Inuyushi said: »
Sorry, this just made me lolwut. At one point, Ranger was THE DD. Ranger used to be up in the mob's face, taking hate and blasting away the mob. Then they nerfed the dmg by making ranger have to stand away from the mob and not allowing them to swing their daggers or axes for that extra tp. Like I said, just made me go "lolwut." Continue on...

We're talking about HNMS here right ??????????
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-09-14 08:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Inuyushi said: »

Sorry, this just made me lolwut. At one point, Ranger was THE DD. Ranger used to be up in the mob's face, taking hate and blasting away the mob. Then they nerfed the dmg by making ranger have to stand away from the mob and not allowing them to swing their daggers or axes for that extra tp.

Like I said, just made me go "lolwut." Continue on...

Actually the BIG nerf to RNG was applying level correction to ranged attacks (it wasn't, originally).
By jackx 2012-10-11 01:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

serj he disregarded what you said cause your an idiot. rng is a top tier dd. sadly any job in the hands of serj = sucks
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-10-11 01:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

His an idiot what?
 Bismarck.Ronalas
Server: Bismarck
user: jackx
By Bismarck.Ronalas 2012-10-11 02:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

the question is what to do with rng without last stand not what loldd are epeen vs rng
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-10-11 02:22:46
Link | Quote | Reply

jackx said: »
your an idiot

Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
His an idiot what?
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-10-19 10:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol stopped paying attention and thread exploded! But anyway, belated answers to questions.

Sylph.Mirvana said: »
Thread is about RNG w/o Last Stand, not "MY NIN PWNS YOUR CONCEPT OF NIN". Both you take that sh*t elsewhere.

OT: OP, out of curiousity, what are your current 3 5/5 WS merits put under (or if your rolled back LS, what would they become)?
My current WS are:
Exen for my manau99/twash99 thf. 1st and forever favorite job.
Stardiver for el mythic drg.
Shijin for my new sparai mnk. This is what I removed LS for. Relic mnk with no shijin is sadpanda bad.

As for why bother for a job I dont play much? Same reason I pushed twash from 90-99 after mandau. I like the job even if it's a 'waste' of money on it. I like the way rng plays, so I want to make it as great as I can.

Thanks for all the input guys. Currently leaning with making an anni and holding on to my bedlam when needed, and maybe finishing arma to 85/90 at some point after that for versatility.

Quote:
What happened to making that mythic crossbow, Aanalaty
I always thought it would be cool but its all based on raw power. If im coming for raw power I get stuck on mythic drg so what's the point? At least with anni I can fill that ranged/low hate spot. Last stand spamming mythic xbow just doesn't really fit. I'd be playing rng like a melee DD but prob not be as good at it. Anni rng has a less overlapping roll for me I think so I dumped my Alex.