No Last Stand. What Do?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » No last stand. what do?
No last stand. what do?
First Page 2 3 4
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-09-05 10:35:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I started un-meriting last stand last night and I was sad. I just dont find myself on rng well...ever anymore. So the merit ws slot is better off moved to something I might use.

Anyway, reasons aside, I still like rng and want to be as ungimp as I can should the stars align and I play it. What is my best option for weapons now that last stand isn't an option? I had been using a bedlam, but have a half finished (not 85 yet) gandiva and arma. Relics are on the table. But without last stand gun/xbow just seems a little flat. For last stand-less rng is it just gandiva or bust? Or is gun even viable? Can something like coronarch spam keep up without the option to unload with LS?

No last stand. What do!?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-09-05 11:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Make an Annihilator, the game is moving out of where RNG has no regards for enmity, so coronach it up. Theres not many times I find myself using Last Stand on current high-end content, and that will more than likely stay the same in future.
 Sylph.Mirvana
Server: Sylph
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-09-08 17:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

If you barely play RNG outside of once-in-a-blue-moon scenarios, just finish off your empereans and use switch which you're using depending on if the mob is weak/strong to physical/magical damage.

If you play RNG as little as you say, I wouldn't invest in relic unless you plan to do A LOT more RNG'ing in the future.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Server: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-09-08 17:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The only fight we currently use RNG on is Odin2, and having coronach/namas is pretty important for that. Isn't really a reason to be using rng in the first place outside of being an out of range/low enmity DD.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-09-08 17:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I don't really understand the question. If you're not playing RNG enough to use last stand why would you ever play RNG at all? It's not necessary to bring a RNG for procs in VW. You bring RNG to kill stuff incredibly fast and/or avoid AoE damage/debuffs.

Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
The only fight we currently use RNG on is Odin2, and having coronach/namas is pretty important for that. Isn't really a reason to be using rng in the first place outside of being an out of range/low enmity DD.

Yeah, no reason to bring a job that can out-damage every other DD out there, even pre-delay update. Sounds like you have some seriously shitty RNGs.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dramatica
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-09-08 18:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You are entirely delusional with your love for RNG sadly.
[+]
 Bismarck.Funstealer
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Funstealer 2012-09-08 18:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

naw he isnt delusional, people still dont understand how much a ranger can actually do compared to other DD
 Phoenix.Dramatica
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-09-08 21:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure RNG can do damage, but it's going to be less than any respectable and buffed DD. You're also going to be spending an exponentially higher amount of gil compared to a DD just using food(To do less damage at that).
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-09-08 22:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Funstealer said: »

naw he isnt delusional, people still dont understand how much a ranger can actually do compared to other DD

No, they do. Less.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2012-09-08 23:33:22
Link | Quote | Reply

RNG is pretty cool against Odin v2!

That's all I can think of :(
 Asura.Hotsoups
Server: Asura
user: Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-09-08 23:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure RNG can do damage, but it's going to be less than any respectable and buffed DD. You're also going to be spending an exponentially higher amount of gil compared to a DD just using food(To do less damage at that).

As true as this may be, it doesn't mean that a respectable buffed up RNG still doesn't trash majority of players/DDs that play the game. Especially in pick up voidwatch.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-09-08 23:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

being better than casuals really doesnt mean anything.
[+]
 Asura.Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-09-08 23:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It does when they take up all the COR+BRD party spots because "They always do more damage."
[+]
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-09-09 00:16:42
Link | Quote | Reply

And when you still outparse them, you have even more bragging rights. However, if you NEED a brd/cor in your pt, you're doing it wrong.

That said, I pretty much ignore Helel's opinion on RNG-matters.
 Valefor.Kiaru
Server: Valefor
user: Shiyo
By Valefor.Kiaru 2012-09-09 03:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

RNG is one of the better DDs in the game, I don't know why theres so much rng hate everywhere ._.

It's not rag 99 drk good, but it's also not NIN bad.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2012-09-09 03:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply

When RNG can benefit from march, it won't be NIN bad. Just be glad there are situations where enm matters arising again.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2012-09-09 04:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Kiaru said: »
RNG is one of the better DDs in the game, I don't know why theres so much rng hate everywhere ._.

I know a NIN that can walk all over RNG and most other DD.

RNG is still not optimal when you can zerg ***with tons of haste
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-09-09 04:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, nin

ohwait, you were serious
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2012-09-09 04:16:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to ***talk them all the time.

Then I saw how the performed consistently against other good players.

Although they weren't on top, I still found it quite impressive at how decently they could keep up (on Qilin, Prov, and DC Dyna-Xarc mobs + ADL pop nms.)

Granted this is only one person with 99 Kannagi + Kikoku lol
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-09-09 05:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Thread is about RNG w/o Last Stand, not "MY NIN PWNS YOUR CONCEPT OF NIN". Both you take that sh*t elsewhere.

OT: OP, out of curiousity, what are your current 3 5/5 WS merits put under (or if your rolled back LS, what would they become)?
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-09-09 05:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Make an Annihilator, the game is moving out of where RNG has no regards for enmity, so coronach it up. Theres not many times I find myself using Last Stand on current high-end content, and that will more than likely stay the same in future.

Btw, I just want to say I find it funny a guy named Starkz is a proponent of making a strong gun, given the Bleach reference :P.

OP: Coro is still strong on 99 Anni. The gun itself is nice, but if you don't play it all that often, just go with the 2 85 empies (or bedlam if you don't really care THAT much about ODD AM). That way you can switch between physical and magic dmg as well as have fun with bows or gun.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-09-09 05:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranger is awesome, but remove temps and get past the Barrage sexyness and its dot starts falling behind more and more over time compared to melee 2handers. In VW you can destroy any average dd and keep up with good ones, but game isn't all about that, is it? It's why you don't bring it to Legion in example(debatable for An), other than the low survivability.
If you wanna bring it to fights like Odin 2 or Arch-Omega, and hopefully new content that will be similar in style, you need a relic, not Last Stand. If you wanna use it for VW Last Stand is awesome, but then again so is Jishnu. If you think your ws merits are needed elsewhere just finish your Gandiva.
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-09-09 05:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Decoy Shot was a nice idea for hate control, but I'd still prefer if it was just a massive Enm- status a la Gnostic's instead of psuedo-TA.

On Empies, I'd finish Arma first and see how you like it since 85-90 comparison is little less drastic as Gandiva, and WF is an amazingly useful option to have in some scenarios. Though going gun does put you in a bigger gil-hole due to needing some Adaboys
 Asura.Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-09-09 14:09:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Mirvana said: »
However, if you NEED a brd/cor in your pt, you're doing it wrong.

What? Ranged attack damage goes up substantially with minuets and chaos roll. Weaponskill damage going from 2k to 5k is not doing it wrong at all.
[+]
 Siren.Fupafighters
Server: Siren
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-09-09 14:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Just because a job does good weaponskill damage, doesn't mean it's good. It has no white damage.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2012-09-09 14:38:18
Link | Quote | Reply

im always in the blm pt on my rng ;;
[+]
 Asura.Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-09-09 14:39:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Fupafighters said: »
Just because a job does good weaponskill damage, doesn't mean it's good. It has no white damage.

I'm gonna stop you right there, Annihilator ranger, and ODD procs from Gandiva and Armageddon amount to a lot of white damage especially when capping attack.

Add snapshot builds and double shot into the mix you are pumping out quite a bit of white damage.
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2012-09-09 14:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Kiaru said: »

Rng is far from being one of the best DDs in the game lol. Basically as what was said here, they can't benefit from haste, making them extremely weak compared to other heavy DDs.

Asura.Hotsoups said: »
Siren.Fupafighters said: »

I'm gonna stop you right there, Annihilator ranger, and ODD procs from Gandiva and Armageddon amount to a lot of white damage especially when capping attack.

Add snapshot builds and double shot into the mix you are pumping out quite a bit of white damage.

40% snapshot or whatever doesn't remotely compare to 80% haste, and other jobs benefit from ODD as well and hit more often.
 Asura.Hotsoups
By Asura.Hotsoups 2012-09-09 14:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

That doesn't mean that RNG's white damage is crap compared to it's weaponskill damage.
First Page 2 3 4