Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Slykun
By Bahamut.Slytribal 2012-06-24 16:15:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Kojo said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Bismarck.Funstealer said: »
think thats the problem here everyone is just looking at the job name of rune fencer and are like oh "fencer" its just a copy of a rdm melee and stuff

they hardly showed anything about the job and everyone is bashing it alrdy i think its gonna be an awesome job ill be leveling it thats for sure

I think most people are just bashing the name.

Personally, I'm against the term Geomancer, geoMANcer?! Mysogynist pigs.

White mage, black mage. Racism!
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-06-24 16:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Updated the OP with a list of strengths made by the developers. If you can list serious pro's and con's already (can't imagine how) I'll add them to the list.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-24 16:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
SE's inability to stick to established terminology, even within Japanese, is enough to make any educated guess a glorified "regular guess" and really no more than picking a paper out of a hat.

I think it's more that something which is balanced and/or reasonable in a single-player RPG is not necessarily going to be balanced/reasonable in an MMO.
[+]
 Asura.Meowzma
Server: Asura
user: meowzma
By Asura.Meowzma 2012-06-24 16:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Updated the OP with a list of strengths made by the developers. If you can list serious pro's and con's already (can't imagine how) I'll add them to the list.

Sounds like a Death Knight.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-06-24 17:01:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
SE's inability to stick to established terminology, even within Japanese, is enough to make any educated guess a glorified "regular guess" and really no more than picking a paper out of a hat.

I think it's more that something which is balanced and/or reasonable in a single-player RPG is not necessarily going to be balanced/reasonable in an MMO.
To an extent, certainly. That doesn't however give them an excuse to confuse us with all these different words that mean the same thing. The difference between "madou" and "mahou" is virtually non-existent, and are often used interchangeably. Likewise, how different a "knight" is from a "fencer" is completely unknown to me.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-06-24 17:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Having this moved to the new Rune Fencer job section, I also plan on keeping any new job information there as well as new information is released.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-24 17:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The difference is "knight" says nothing about swordplay, whereas "swordsman/swordswoman/fencer" implies nothing about knighthood?

Mahou and Madou are more subtle. There actually is a connotative difference. Madou refers to "following the path of magic" and implies potent / very strong magic powers. (Madou literally - "Path of the witch")

Mahou just refers to magic in general. (Mahou literally "method of the witch.")

In FFXI, all mage references imply great power (Madou).
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-06-24 17:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

But then what of DRK? I don't believe it has an established knighthood like the other two "knight" jobs do. Our "Paladin" itself is problematic for reasons I'm sure you're aware.

To further complicate the problem, 魔術師 was the upgraded "more powerful" version of the mage jobs in FF1, with the word "majutsu" more closely resembling "mahou" in usage, despite it being a superior user of whatever "madou" it originated in.

I can't help but see it as all rather arbitrary, even in Japanese, which exacerbates the problem in any translation.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-06-24 17:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

魔術師 - "Conjurer, Sorcerer"

魔術 itself means 'Magical art' or 'technique," implying special mastery. (e.g. attacks in Pokemon are "術")

師 itself means 'expert' or 'master.' In FFXI, we use 士 for "shi"
[+]
 Titan.Elevan
Server: Titan
user: Elevan
By Titan.Elevan 2012-06-24 17:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Mikumaru said: »
You have a point Ducea , but there is little to no difference of them to work you up and give you a huge turd than give you nothing at all . The release of 2 new jobs , imho , points to this being a turd . There are 20 freakin jobs already . half of which most people would argue are marginally useful in any content 76-99. With everything that been released and "updated" since the cap change (see "Stagger") until something promising is shown to be contained in this "new" expansion , i am not gettin my hopes up . As of right now , To me this new expansion is goin to be groups of Geomancers , Rune Fencers , and probly 2 or 3 "old" jobs(whm , nin and probly war) runnin around doin all the new stuff . Maybe instead of new jobs , they can give us an expansion that makes FFXi what it was Pre-Abyssea .

I think the devs should carefully plan out this expansion and make every job useful in someway. Perhaps even going as far in making parts only doable with a specific job. CoP did this with the races in the Grand Palace of Hux'zoi in the last few missions for CoP.

I agree tho, these 2 jobs better be quite unique and useful or people will just bash them lol.
 Asura.Jadecc
user: jadecc
By Asura.Jadecc 2012-06-24 18:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

fencer in my mind means 1 handing a sword usually with no offhand weapon, khight in my mind means heavy armor.. runic fencer doesn't look like it uses heavy armor and as a magic tank i dont believe it would need to use heavy armor, but it does wield its sword in 1 hand, i believe fencer is a much more viable name than knight, mystic or runic is up to you but it is using runes to enchant its weapon so runic fencer is a perfect name for it imho
 Sylph.Arckain
Server: Sylph
user: Arck
By Sylph.Arckain 2012-06-24 18:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a feeling this job will probably receive job traits like the fencer trait for using a single handed weapon. Maybe a trait that gives a higher chance of Parrying.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-06-24 18:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I can't see them giving it a shield simply because of how close that would put it with PLD. Really hoping Runes are an offhand equipment, and the job relies heavily on parrying/abilities to mitigate physical damage.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2012-06-24 18:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Rune Fencer with Dancer sub... RUN/DNC

Trrrricky~
[+]
 Sylph.Sagiaurex
Server: Sylph
user: Sagiaurex
By Sylph.Sagiaurex 2012-06-24 19:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Trrrricky~

I see what you did there...
 Carbuncle.Deathhaven
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Deathhaven 2012-06-24 21:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Malekith said: »
Fenrir.Curty said: »
Read that Rune Fencer will be a tank job that excels in magic defense.. so confused considering aegis paladin basically achieves magical invulnerability. They'll have to do something pretty creative to make it of any use.

As far as I know Aegis doesn't give invulnerability vs. status effect enfeebles. Not everything magical is a nuke afterall...

Just have to see what mobs are released with the expansion. IF they truly designed this job to function as a "magical tank" I shudder to think of what we'll be fighting where this job > pld or a DD with the appropriated damage mitigation gear...

says the guy with no aegis ;><3
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2012-06-24 22:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Trrrricky~

Only if the short name is RUN. Was thinking it might be RuNe Fencer (RNF) or Rune FeNcer (RFN). Could even be rune FeNCer (FNC).
 Lakshmi.Galvaya
Server: Lakshmi
user: Galvaya
By Lakshmi.Galvaya 2012-06-24 22:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

RFC! Rune fried chicken
[+]
By Jeran 2012-06-25 13:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont care what it does of if its gonna be a good or lame job.
Rune fencer? <3 Jeran approves. So gotta play..

I dearly hope its gonna be nice tho and if i get lucky tank job even. I still need some. But SE been SE and FFXI still been an Final Fantasy title, after all, im sure its gonna be somewhat like the Rune knight. Why should SE start to break with their concept of picking up known jobs
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2012-06-25 13:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Deathhaven said: »
Asura.Malekith said: »
Fenrir.Curty said: »
Read that Rune Fencer will be a tank job that excels in magic defense.. so confused considering aegis paladin basically achieves magical invulnerability. They'll have to do something pretty creative to make it of any use.

As far as I know Aegis doesn't give invulnerability vs. status effect enfeebles. Not everything magical is a nuke afterall...

Just have to see what mobs are released with the expansion. IF they truly designed this job to function as a "magical tank" I shudder to think of what we'll be fighting where this job > pld or a DD with the appropriated damage mitigation gear...

says the guy with no aegis ;><3
C'mon man... give me a break! I don't need to own an Aegis to know that it doesn't block enfeebs/ status effects like para/slow/death.... You're trying to hard to discredit my point... Apparently my years of experience in game/ playing with others disqualifies me from knowing what the limits are on a particular item just because I don't personally own it? Get real...
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-06-25 13:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes you have to own a piece of gear to know what it does, obviously.
 Valefor.Rancor
Server: Valefor
user: Rancoor
By Valefor.Rancor 2012-06-25 14:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Spell blade from FFTA2? Wonder if the new jobs will be like the others were with relics and not get them... Including mythic and empy... Joy. MOAR FARMING
 Phoenix.Darkzeru
user: Darkzeru
By Phoenix.Darkzeru 2012-06-25 14:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

My first thought reading about this job was Freed

[+]
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2012-06-25 14:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice Darkzeru, I had actually thought the same thing :D
 Phoenix.Darkzeru
By Phoenix.Darkzeru 2012-06-25 14:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm I'm still at a tie....
Continue to play a game that is attempting to live on via a new expansion...or fully move on to PSO2 as intended... hmmmm
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-06-25 14:30:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Still a long, long time until the expansion comes out, tbh I still see no reason to stick around until its release gets nearer. Promises of a new expansion don't really help the lack of content situation right now.

Other Game ---> 2013 ---> FFXI Expansion
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-06-25 14:33:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Still a long, long time until the expansion comes out, tbh I still see no reason to stick around until its release gets nearer. Promises of a new expansion don't really help the lack of content situation right now.

Other Game ---> 2013 ---> FFXI Expansion

agree completely. Still targeting Neo-salvage for reactivation.
 Phoenix.Darkzeru
By Phoenix.Darkzeru 2012-06-25 14:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

A very good point.
How ever if what the people from SEGA claim is true...they claim add new (not like heavy but new non the less) on a 3-4 week rate on PSO2

And if that's true and the content is still appealing.....a year later....would i even wanna come back? lol
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-06-25 14:39:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The risks of SE choosing to dangle the carrot so soon before release
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 12 13 14