Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » The Pirates' Lair: A Guide to Corsair
The Pirates' Lair: A Guide to Corsair
First Page 2 3 ... 67 68 69 ... 156 157 158
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2015-01-23 03:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been back a month now and I'm 9 dross and 51 HMP away from finishing Armageddon. I plan on starting Mythic right afterward but before I trade anything in... is this still worth using or should I do something else instead? Any point of view is appreciated, personal or professional alike. I've looked at the guide, still hoping to hear what anyone has to say.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2015-01-23 03:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

If your group is geared around it, Leaden Salute, particularly with the Mythic bonus damage, can be the strongest WS in the game. Better than a stacked Rudras. You do need a lot of support though.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-23 06:07:52
Link | Quote | Reply

119 Armageddon is really just for personal collection. It's not a suggested investment for gameplay.
By Heimdel 2015-01-23 22:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

How up to date ar ethe WS sets considering the changes to ws dmg? Specifically leaden.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-26 07:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't express how happy I am. This has always been my biggest dream(FFXI related) and it means a lot to have made it this far.

Shoot yer cannons in celebration mateys fer a new DP is born!

[+]
By Schutz 2015-01-26 07:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Congrats on Death Penalty, Seha!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-01-26 09:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Congrats, Seha~
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Filigree
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Filigree
By Quetzalcoatl.Filigree 2015-01-26 09:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Welcome to the club.
 Sylph.Hyunkyl
Server: Sylph
user: hyunkyl
By Sylph.Hyunkyl 2015-01-26 10:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Congrats!
[+]
 Bismarck.Stanislav
user: daNpwr
By Bismarck.Stanislav 2015-01-28 17:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Question. Which Gun would be the best for melee Last Stand spam?
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-01-28 18:08:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Id say skirmish+2 with dmg+10-13 and weapon skill:dmg+5-10% depending on the augment you can get dmg:138.
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2015-01-28 18:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Whatever gun you can get your hands on with high base damage will do fine for Last Stand if you melee for tp.

Augmented Doomsday can be really nice, I ended up with a Ratk and Stp one tossing some +1 stones at it.

Also have a Hgafircian +2 w/ DMG+ and AGI+ augments

If you dont want to mess around with augments/skirmish and have surplus merits+friends that can stomp BCs, Vanir Gun would be easiest thing to get your hands on, also this will give you a chance to pickup a vanir knife and boots which are nice cor pieces to get as well.
 Bismarck.Stanislav
user: daNpwr
By Bismarck.Stanislav 2015-01-28 18:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I geared up my mule's COR for Ceizak and this is what I use for tp atm.

TP
Vanir Knife, Ayotac(OAT/WSD), Vanir Gun, Eminent Bullet
Iutil Headgear +1(DA), Asperity Necklace, Steelflash, Bladeborn
Thaumas, Nilas, Eponas, Rajas
Bleating, Windbuffet, Ighwa, Qaaxo(DA)

Last Stand
Lanun Tricorne +1, Light Gorget, Clearview, Volley
Lak. Frac +1, Lanun Gants +1, Garuda +1, Garuda +1
Gunslinger's(WSD+2), Light Belt, Nahtirah, Vanir

I know I can use upgrades for earring, any other suggestions?

It's nice that LS can be part of my 4step Fudo>LS>Shoha>Fudo. Kasha loves missing for me lol.

edit: I was looking to get a Doomsday with +WSD
 Bismarck.Airgetlamh
user: Arnegis
By Bismarck.Airgetlamh 2015-01-28 19:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

That's about it. You have all other best in slot items already.
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2015-01-30 11:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I just started playing more on Corsair.
And it seems nobody can give me a solution:
If i use rare/ex ammunition for a weaponskill will it be shot away?
Is it only possible to not shoot it when using quick-draw?
By Ramyrez 2015-01-30 11:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Corres said: »
If i use rare/ex ammunition for a weaponskill will it be shot away

Yes.

Ragnarok.Corres said: »
Is it only possible to not shoot it when using quick-draw?

Yes.
 Ragnarok.Haorhu
user: haorhu
By Ragnarok.Haorhu 2015-01-30 11:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

keep Rare/ex munition for QD and use Script First line <Type> munition and keep X2 type of munition to avoid mistake shot . personaly i use 3 different munition Orichalque for LD/WF Titanium for Last stand finally hurkan bullet well this not a secret evry cor now that :)
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-01-30 12:36:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I have accidentally shot three Animikii bullets now, and it's really annoying. I asked other corsairs how they avoid this from happening, so I added /equip ammo to each macro that would fire a bullet, made sure each gear set had the right bullet in, but I was having trouble in laggy situations. My last bullet was shot after I made a slight alteration to one of my macros to get my Corsair to actually fire (It kept saying I couldn't range attack for some reason so I was stood there for long periods of time doing nothing). It was so frustrating because I was in delve at the time, and needed to keep my damage going, but the lag and my macros weren't working together properly.

Not sure how to full-proof it. It might be a server thing, and I don't know whether using the in-game macro sets effect it. No matter how I do the macros I accidentally shoot the bullet at some point (had my second bullet for many months). I was always checking to see if I still had my bullet, and after I shot it for the third time I just felt like I shouldn't bother getting it again. It's an amazing piece but it's so annoying, you need to have /equip ammo everywhere and it slows everything down. Tired of getting this thing.

If anyone can give examples of their ranged/quick draw/ws macros, someone who has had this bullet for a long time and never shot it, I can see whether I am doing something completely wrong .. although I already asked about this after the first and second times I shot it away.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-01-30 12:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Stanislav said: »
Yeah I geared up my mule's COR for Ceizak and this is what I use for tp atm.

TP
Vanir Knife, Ayotac(OAT/WSD), Vanir Gun, Eminent Bullet
Iutil Headgear +1(DA), Asperity Necklace, Steelflash, Bladeborn
Thaumas, Nilas, Eponas, Rajas
Bleating, Windbuffet, Ighwa, Qaaxo(DA)

That's certainly not a bad set, but could probably make some tweaks to improve.

1) Dual Wield. COR/DNC (or COR/NIN) needs capped magical haste (e.g. 2x March + haste spell) AND DNC main Haste Samba to reach delay cap without using any DW gear. /DNC samba isn't enough.

Alternate scenarios:
*[most likely] COR/DNC, capped magical haste, /DNC Haste Samba: needs about 9% DW gear to reach cap (actually 9% will put you just sliiiiightly under at 79.96% reduction, but close enough).

*If for some reason you're going COR/NIN, you get 10 more DW from higher trait (DW3=25% versus DW2=15%) to hit cap assuming someone else is using Haste Samba. If no Samba, /NIN needs 10% DW gear to cap.

*If you're ever in a non-BRD party (less than ideal, but sometimes I'll find myself the sole support job in a 2nd party or something), can use all the DW gear you can manage.

As for which gear to swap, there are a lot of ways to do it. Dudgeon/Heartseeker set is one alternative, and up to you whether to also add something like Vellaunus' Mantle+1 for 9% total (though I prob wouldn't suggest investing in Vellaunus' just for COR if you don't have it already for other jobs).

If like many CORs you picked Haverton Ring for Adoulin reward, that's a nice option too. Brutal/Suppa and Epona/Haverton puts you at 10% DW gear and capped reduction (don't worry about the tiny bit over cap it puts you). Haverton is a major increase in DPS over Rajas in this scenario.

2) Accuracy: Are you hitting near capped acc in Ceizak? If not, might swap a couple pieces for more accurate options. Mainly:
- Back (Letalis), this would be my first choice swap
- Body? Mekosu. Harness, Lanun+1, Emet Harness/+1, Qaaxo B are all nice acc options.
- Hands, maybe if needed (Umuthi, Buremte)
- Legs - I'd rather actually not use the Acc option of Ighwa here unless necessary, and go with STR Quiahuiz if you can manage satisfactory acc from the rest of your gear. Though if you do need the acc, yeah, Ighwa are good.

3) Etc.:
- Nomkahpah+1 mitts are a little better than Nilas for TP assuming you're going with a non-Acc option, but not a huge deal and again not something I'd invest in for COR only (Nilas fill basically the same role plus have that MAB for QD and the like). If you have em though, use em.

- Thaumas Coat? If you're confident you won't take a hit or your healers are absolutely on the ball, cool. I shy away from Thaumas on ilevel content though, it's just too much of a defensive liability. Plenty of good 119 options, basically as noted in #2 above.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-01-30 13:06:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Thaumas Coat? If you're confident you won't take a hit or your healers are absolutely on the ball, cool. I shy away from Thaumas on ilevel content though, it's just too much of a defensive liability.
Maybe if you're doing a high level Incursion or VD battles without PD (in which case you'd probably want to swap it out for something with more accuracy anyway). So many people echoing that Thaumas Coat shouldn't be used because of its low defense but there's really not very many things where it actually becomes a problem. Especially since the event in question is Ceizak Delve; that's low level content in my opinion.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-01-30 13:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Maybe if you're doing a high level Incursion or VD battles without PD (in which case you'd probably want to swap it out for something with more accuracy anyway). So many people echoing that Thaumas Coat shouldn't be used because of its low defense but there's really not very many things where it actually becomes a problem. Especially since the event in question is Ceizak Delve; that's low level content in my opinion.

Like I said, depends on your confidence in your healers (and stunners) and whether you're actually getting hit.

But on anything where AoE gets through or where you pull hate, I find it a lot more practical to play it safe instead of trying to maximize COR DD. Something like Qaaxo Harness really isn't even THAT much of an offensive drop off from Thaumas, in exchange for massively better defense.

I'd take the position that you are a bit overzealous if you're really claiming defense doesn't matter on anything below the highest level content in the current game. Ilevel content really does justify ilevel defense a lot of the time. Delve 1... yeah, I agree it's on the easier side of current content. But stuff like Scorp, Mastop, and Muyingwa still hurt when they hit you. At the very least, be ready with a macro for a stronger defensive set.

Especially for any pickup group where you don't really know and trust your backline, Thaumas certainly isn't recommended. Not for COR, and not for any of the other jobs who can use it.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-01-30 13:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd take the position that you are a bit overzealous if you're really claiming defense doesn't matter on anything below the highest level content in the current game.
I'm claiming removing simply 1 ilv piece isn't going to be the difference between life and death.

Delve 1... yeah, I agree it's on the easier side of current content. But stuff like Scorp, Mastop, and Muyingwa still hurt when they hit you.
The thought of dying to these in 2015 has never crossed my mind aside from a Death Scissors from Scorp, but we've been using Scherzo for that as a safety net for a few months now, so even that fear has gone away.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-01-30 14:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm claiming removing simply 1 ilv piece isn't going to be the difference between life and death.

And on the flip side, the fairly minor additional offensive edge of Thaumas isn't going to be the difference between success and failure. At most, maybe you're making a 25 minute run take 24-something.

Still, the massive defensive swing is a bigger deal to me than Thaumas's offensive edge. It's "simply 1 ilv piece", but it's a swing of about 70 DEF and potential PDT-3%~6% on several of the good options (Lanun+1, Qaaxo, Emet/+1). That's a pretty substantial chunk for just one piece.

Plus, depending on food/buffs/feint/zone effect, there's a not insigificant chance you're not capping Acc anyway in Ceizak, and one slot where you can easily address that is COR's melee ilvl bodies (lots of Acc, DEX spam). Making the offensive difference even less in Thaumas's favor.

Do what you want, for me Thaumas is for pre-Adoulin content. But I'll certainly be waiting if it ever gets an ilvl +1 upgrade...

Quote:
The thought of dying to these in 2015 has never crossed my mind aside from a Death Scissors from Scorp, but we've been using Scherzo for that as a safety net for a few months now, so even that fear has gone away.

Like I said, base it on your party if you're dead set on optimizing with offense only. If you guys win without fail and you never die, more power to you.

Ceizak is an easier case anyway, but definitely something to think about on harder stuff: Delve 2, Incursion NMs (and I don't think that's limited to extremely high level), high tier fights, etc. And of course, obviously more of a consideration if you're talking about any pickup group or with healers who aren't on point.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-01-30 15:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

And on the flip side, the fairly minor additional offensive edge of Thaumas isn't going to be the difference between success and failure. At most, maybe you're making a 25 minute run take 24-something.
Really hate this argument. You can say that about pretty much anything that increases your DPS, whether it be a 4th song, which roll you do, other pieces of gear, which weapon you're using, etc., but the main idea is that it all adds up. At what point does it switch from "use this because it's more DPS" to "don't bother because it doesn't matter"?

It's "simply 1 ilv piece", but it's a swing of about 70 DEF and potential PDT-3%~6% on several of the good options (Lanun+1, Qaaxo, Emet/+1). That's a pretty substantial chunk for just one piece.
That's nice, but you're still not at risk of dying on most things so it's irrelevant. If you like to choose gear based on bad pick-up groups then feel free, but I don't put myself in those situations.

Edit: Anyway, you can have the last word. I'm not a fan of debating for over an hour.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-01-30 18:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't even going to reply, but I was curious and plugged stuff into a spreadsheet. Modified Montenten's last slightly out of date spreadsheet so it might not be totally current (i.e. maybe WS mods aren't quite right, though it does seem to reflect the previous mega-buff to Leaden), but changed max accuracy to 99%, used up to date TP/WS sets, etc.

Assumptions:
- COR/DNC, melee for TP and Leaden WS (though checking Last Stand didn't substantially change anything for relative performance of different bodies)
- March x2, Chaos/Hunter's, /DNC samba, RCB for food (Sole Sushi gave similar comparative results though)
- Used Kamihr Raaz (113) as a target to best approximate stuff like Delve 1 NMs (even though the Delve 1 NMs are actually probably a bit higher)

Results:
* Qaaxo A, Qaaxo B, and Thaumas were within single digit DPS of each other (total DPS, melee + ranged WS). Depending on other minor gear tweaks, some situations I actually had Qaaxo A straight up beating Thaumas by a few DPS.

* Dread Jupon, Lanun+1, Emet+1 (max Acc), and Meko. Harness were all in a very close cluster just barely behind (~10-20 total DPS back from Qaaxo A/B and Thaumas)

* Note that this doesn't even factor in the evasion boost from Ceizak Delve zone bonus, which would likely cause a substantial drop in accuracy (i.e. I doubt you're capped if Feint isn't on a mob) and be even more in favor any of the ilevel bodies with more Acc/DEX than Thaumas.

I'm all for maximizing DPS within reason, but when we're talking SIDEGRADES offensively, I'll happily stick to the extra 70 DEF and PDT- on the ilevel options (not to mention Meva and MDB). If Thaumas was just crushing other options, might make more sense to use it if you're confident your healers won't let you die. But that's not even the case. Given the almost identical offensive performance, why would you go for the non-ilevel option with massively worse defense?

Also showed that if you don't have Qaaxo A or B r15 and don't have a lot of spare gil, if you have one of the several other options you probably don't need to sweat it too much since they're all so similar.

TL;DR: Thaumas Coat barely even beats the top ilevel options offensively, if it beats them at all. They're sidegrades for damage, so use the ilevel bodies which also have way higher defense unless you just like making things unnecessarily more dangerous for no benefit.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-01-30 22:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont see Haverton Ring added as a BIS for snapshot. Any reason why?
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-01-30 23:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm all for maximizing DPS within reason, but when we're talking SIDEGRADES offensively, I'll happily stick to the extra 70 DEF and PDT- on the ilevel options (not to mention Meva and MDB). If Thaumas was just crushing other options, might make more sense to use it if you're confident your healers won't let you die. But that's not even the case. Given the almost identical offensive performance, why would you go for the non-ilevel option with massively worse defense?

This, qaaxo also has higher acc if I remember correctly. Which allows dropping acc gear in other slots when acc's capped, or more dmg when acc's uncapped.

When acc's capped and there's no risk of dying, the DPS difference is very, very small. It's probably not even the difference between 24 min run and 25 min run, more like 24.5 min.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-01-30 23:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

No ***if you need acc then you make swaps accordingly.
in which case you'd probably want to swap it out for something with more accuracy anyway
Literally within my first sentence. You'd think that implies that I know about accuracy swaps when applicable.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-01 08:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Dont see Haverton Ring added as a BIS for snapshot. Any reason why?
I didn't put any Adoulin ring in the ideal sets since people chose a wide variety based on what they play, but I did make comments on them at the bottom of the gear section.
 Phoenix.Keme
user: Chroph
By Phoenix.Keme 2015-02-02 02:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw some Corsairs owning Death Penalty ilvl119 with an augment with DMG+31 (i don't remember the exact number). Anyone knows how to augment that weapon ? (I didn't know it was possible to augment mythic)
First Page 2 3 ... 67 68 69 ... 156 157 158