VIP
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-04-07 15:59:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Siven said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
There's another thing to note here. CDC was changed, and fTP now carries across all hits, making Elemental belt/gorget quite powerful. I still get Wanion or rancor winning by a hair occasionally depending on crit rate and attack, but I don't believe that CDC has been undated in the spreadsheet I have. I also have no idea how to quantify the DPS increase from the 1-2% (it seems like they stack) chance not to consume TP.

Good to know, thank you. I just picked up the fotia belt this morning. Perhaps I'll just call it good and concern myself with upgrades other than the wanion belt, seems like I might be better served.

If you don't already have it, I'd concern myself with things that are more obtainable and make a bigger difference. The time spent getting wanion could probably earn you at least a full set of Taeon if not multiples of each and some helios and telchine. Those items will do you far more good.
 Siren.Siven
Server: Siren
user: quinevis
By Siren.Siven 2015-04-08 02:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I reading the somewhat recent patch correctly in that sudden lunge, for example, now procs the stun effect based on blu skill and not magic accuracy?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-04-08 03:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

no

magic accuracy works (presumably, no 100% data but it's the most logical way with what we have) via: Magic Accuracy + (magicskill * multiplier) + dSTAT

Blue Magic functions in this way along with the other types of magic (dSTAT being unproven within the 100% realm though). Some spells (Tourbillion, Barbed Crescent, Hecatomb Wave, Sandspin) ignored the magicskill part of the equation, rendering them with extremely small chances to land their effects against almost every target. The update fixed this, and now those spells use skill in conjunction with magic accuracy+. No other spells were changed.
 Asura.Skittylove
Server: Asura
user: eliroo
By Asura.Skittylove 2015-04-08 14:13:01
Link | Quote | Reply

With the buffs to Magic Burst do people consider convergence to be a competitive merit? Or is the general consensus still 5/5 Diffusion.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-04-08 15:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

The recast on Convergence sucks too hard to warrant if you're getting solely for damage. Though I do have 1/5 in it just for wonky situations where I don't want to do things to surrounding mobs. If I know I'm in a situation that will never have that occur, I'll use for damage purposes. The 5% just isn't that great.

My guess is that if those situations never occurred for you before, don't waste it for only beefing up damage by a little.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-04-08 15:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Said this in another thread, but I'm curious how quickly BLU can cap enmity now with the cap being x3 and enmity from damage has been reduced.

From the old enmity tables, looks like Exuviation is the leader for a healthy mix of both CE+VE at 640/640. Couple that with Diffusion on 6 members you'd get 3840/3840 CE/VE from a single cast. If you were to cast Erratic Flutter instead, a nice choice, it looks to do about half that for 1920/1920 CE/VE. Still nice. Invincible is said to give 7200 VE (not sure if Sentinel/Gear will double Invincible enmity but I imagine it does), so Diffusion Exuviation could actually beat it in total enmity - 7680. And if you were nuts, +100 enmity could even double that number leading to 7680 in both CE/VE. Almost 1/3rd the way to cap.

For reference, the enmity cap is now assumed to be 30000 for both CE and VE.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-04-08 16:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Said this in another thread, but I'm curious how quickly BLU can cap enmity now with the cap being x3 and enmity from damage has been reduced.

From the old enmity tables, looks like Exuviation is the leader for a healthy mix of both CE+VE at 640/640. Couple that with Diffusion on 6 members you'd get 3840/3840 CE/VE from a single cast. If you were to cast Erratic Flutter instead, a nice choice, it looks to do about half that for 1920/1920 CE/VE. Still nice. Invincible is said to give 7200 VE (not sure if Sentinel/Gear will double Invincible enmity but I imagine it does), so Diffusion Exuviation could actually beat it in total enmity - 7680. And if you were nuts, +100 enmity could even double that number leading to 7680 in both CE/VE. Almost 1/3rd the way to cap.

For reference, the enmity cap is now assumed to be 30000 for both CE and VE.

I have had little trouble keeping a mob's attention without the need for enmity boosting spells the few times I've been in a party since the update. BLU is a real contender for top DPS right now. That said, I never really "tank" anything intentionally, but I do try to be the target most of time as I can take a hit better than most other DD's and can self cure in several ways to limit the enmity buildup of mages.
 Siren.Siven
Server: Siren
user: quinevis
By Siren.Siven 2015-04-08 16:19:17
Link | Quote | Reply

For the highest tier DD spec (with job trait), you could abandon mortal ray and animating wail in favor of molting plumage to save three points but maintain the same traits. Those three points could be used to set any 3 point support spell (dream, battery, fruit), barrier tusk (to combine with glutinous dart for HP boost I), or you could additionally remove glutinous dart and have 5 points to spare either for winds of promyvion or vanity dive+frenetic rip for accuracy III.
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2015-04-09 09:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

So I am still going to attempt to go through a natural progression of gear/content on this new character as I slowly unlock content.

As a BLU, can you solo stuff like Proto-Omega or Salvage 1 without exceptionally good gear? Not even sure if you can use trusts in those instances. Or would it be really difficult without iLevel gear?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-04-09 10:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lunafreya said: »
So I am still going to attempt to go through a natural progression of gear/content on this new character as I slowly unlock content.

As a BLU, can you solo stuff like Proto-Omega or Salvage 1 without exceptionally good gear? Not even sure if you can use trusts in those instances. Or would it be really difficult without iLevel gear?

You can solo lvl75 proto-omega and salvage pretty easily with sparks/ah gear assuming you know how to play the job in some capacity.
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2015-04-09 10:30:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I think most soloing of those events that was doable in 75 days wasn't comprehensive enough to really outfit yourself with. Most I recall wouldn't be very BLU friendly either, since it was more DoT kiting and nuking oriented.

They don't need ilevel gear before getting far easier, and feasible to solo, but the time/effort you'd put into doing them wouldn't make sense. At best, the gear is obsolete at 99, and most of it is subpar even before then - though doing Limbus later for AF upgrades is worth it, since it cuts your chapter cost down when reforging.

IMO, it's just not worth stopping XP to gear up. Even without leeching, you're probably going to only use it for a night or three, maybe a few weeks at most. There's more than enough to do, in that regard, once you hit 99.
By kithaofcerb 2015-04-13 01:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey folks

I've recently been running Yorcia 2 with Blue mage, and I'm really struggling with killing the wind based elementals. Which is the best spell for this, since they resist subduction?

Thank you in advance
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-04-13 01:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a designated Yorcia spellset, and put in spells from each element. Namely, Thermal Pulse, Embalming Earth, Charged Whisker, Nectarous Deluge, Retinal Glare, Subduction, and then Sinker Drill and Quad for butterflies. You'll hardly ever need to use more than one spell to clear a room, but if needed, the extra elements are just there for backup.
By kithaofcerb 2015-04-13 02:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
I have a designated Yorcia spellset, and put in spells from each element. Namely, Thermal Pulse, Embalming Earth, Charged Whisker, Nectarous Deluge, Retinal Glare, Subduction, and then Sinker Drill and Quad for butterflies. You'll hardly ever need to use more than one spell to clear a room, but if needed, the extra elements are just there for backup.

Thank you! I have all of those except Nectarous Deluge and Retinal Glare, so I guess its time to get hunting!
 Asura.Vinedrius
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2015-04-13 02:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »

Fantod spam!
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Asura.Taidis 2015-04-13 04:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

You know, I'm really contemplating gearing BLU back up, haven't really touched it since Seekers but it seems like a really strong job atm. Add to that I always knew the job points, particularly in blue magic points were useful but I didn't quite realise how awesome the 100 point gift is.

Out of curiosity, how much effort would it take to gear BLU from pre-SoA level 99 to ilvl 119?
By mortontony1 2015-04-13 06:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

kithaofcerb said: »

Thank you! I have all of those except Nectarous Deluge and Retinal Glare, so I guess its time to get hunting!

I'm usually able to one hit non-light elementals with rail cannon too with a semi-decent mab set, so that might be worth looking into.
 Valefor.Seranos
user: Seranos
By Valefor.Seranos 2015-04-13 07:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

mortontony1 said: »

I'm usually able to one hit non-light elementals with rail cannon too with a semi-decent mab set, so that might be worth looking into.

This is a good point. You don't need to AoE everything. Sometimes, single target nukes can help with productivity.

For example, say you one-shot a wind ele among a bunch of others, you can then more easily AoE the others.
 Valefor.Seranos
user: Seranos
By Valefor.Seranos 2015-04-13 08:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't read anything in the last few pages here, but has anything changed lately with recommended merits? Currently rocking magic acc and physical pot 5/5 for group 1, with Assimilation and Diffusion 5/5 for group 2.

Not sure if updated gear (thinking Reforged and impact on CA), would warrant adding into CA recast or Enchaibment.
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2015-04-13 08:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

At original 99 cap/pre iLevel stuff, gear that had Blue Magic Skill + was pretty much always the best option for that slot.

But now I am not so sure, even though what I am asking is just for the interim until I get better gear.

Magus Jubbah or Espial Gambison for physical spells? 15 BLU Skill is a lot, but so is 22 STR. I am guessing the Jubbah is still the better option.

Same scenario with Mavi Tayt +2 vs Espial Hose. Are the mavi legs worth the time investment to get? 8 STR 15 BLU Skill seems like a winner over 27 STR but I am not so sure.

Also, Espial Bracers or Alky Bracelets?

My current set:
ItemSet 334550
By kithaofcerb 2015-04-13 13:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Seranos said: »
mortontony1 said: »

This is a good point. You don't need to AoE everything. Sometimes, single target nukes can help with productivity.

For example, say you one-shot a wind ele among a bunch of others, you can then more easily AoE the others.

I will certainly try that, thank you for all your help folks.

Also, is there any reason that Sweeping Gouge is on the "Highest tier DD" list? I mean sure its a decent spell, but it gives something silly like Lizard Killer iirc, so is there no other trait we can get out of those blue magic points?
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-04-13 13:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Also, is there any reason that Sweeping Gouge is on the "Highest tier DD" list? I mean sure its a decent spell, but it gives something silly like Lizard Killer iirc, so is there no other trait we can get out of those blue magic points?
Sweeping Gouge is used to apply defense down to the mob, it isn't used for traits or as a damage spell. It's actually one of the few spells you even bother casting anymore because of the defense down.
 Valefor.Cowrevenge
By Valefor.Cowrevenge 2015-04-16 12:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 334688
What do I need to change for physical spells?
How outdated is the first page?

TA2, DEX/STR +7, and ATK/ACC +20 on legs/feet

I can't find information on what spells prefer INT or STR.
Sinker Drill for example, would STR gloves e better?
 Asura.Leoheika
user: Leoheart
By Asura.Leoheika 2015-04-16 12:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Hashishin Tayt +1, there's more information on individual spells on BG's wiki, but I think sinker drill is DEX based.
 Valefor.Cowrevenge
By Valefor.Cowrevenge 2015-04-16 12:15:42
Link | Quote | Reply

That is an amazing piece! Do I need any other empy gear? I will get that leg piece tonight.
 Valefor.Cowrevenge
By Valefor.Cowrevenge 2015-04-19 00:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 334796ItemSet 334755ItemSet 334756ItemSet 334688ItemSet 334757
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-04-19 01:43:36
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're doing pure STR spells or STR/DEX spells, you can swap the Ire torque for a Lacono necklace +1. No loss of accuracy, as well as an additional 8 attack. Although the -VIT hurts STR/VIT spells if you're looking for an all-around piece. Also, Prosilio belt and the +1 are both excellent for STR spells with their large amount of STR and high attack.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-04-19 02:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

There's WSC for every single spell in the OP. Go to the Spells section and open up the Physical spoiler. It contains mods for every spell
 Cerberus.Sephrin
Server: Cerberus
user: xSephrinx
By Cerberus.Sephrin 2015-04-20 19:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Question. How does Molting Plumage fit into the dual wield tiers? Im wonding since it gives 8 DW trait points.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-04-20 19:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

it gives an entire tier, 2 tiers with 100 gift
First Page 2 3 ... 171 172 173 ... 445 446 447