Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-02-13 18:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kongming said: »
People expect to start with nothing and be wearing a full set of HQ gear at the end of the week. This content is pretty damn consistent with the rest of the game. If you don't like it, Abyssea is always a traverser stone's throw away.

I don't think you understand. If you successfully get to floor 100, there is about a 10% chance that the piece of armor you want to drop will drop. If it drops, you will lot against at least one other person on it (down to 5%). Your odds of getting to floor 100 are likely on the order of 1/20 for a normal group (down to 0.25%). Assuming you have 0 pieces of a set, you would have a 1.25% chance per day to get a piece that you want.

We're not talking about how terribly difficult it was to gimp through level 75 NI with a bunch of high functioning retards. We're talking about an average of 80 runs for your first +5 piece, 100 for your second +5 piece, 133 for your third +5 piece, 200 for your fourth +5 piece, and 400 for your last +5 piece. We're talking about 2.5 years of one Nyzul Isle per day to complete a set.

Unless there is a gimmick, you're willing to POS hack around, or it is easier than it looks, you can expect that aiming for floor 100 would make this the single least rewarding event ever put into FFXI.
[+]
By Chyula 2012-02-13 18:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Some one try to trade those armor to the lamp or NI npc see if it do anything like enable the person to jump to that floor where you got it from.

*finger crossed* -.-
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-02-13 19:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
you can expect that aiming for floor 100 would make this the single least rewarding event ever put into FFXI.

It's true. Even chocobo racing provides enjoyment and a feeling of self fulfillment.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-02-13 19:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Pullus Torque is one of the best items in the game.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2012-02-13 19:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

My chocobo probably died, kind of forgot about it :x
[+]
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-02-13 19:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

We're not talking about how terribly difficult it was to gimp through level 75 NI with a bunch of high functioning retards. We're talking about an average of 80 runs for your first +5 piece
No, we're not, are we? For most people the incentive for Nyzul was getting a runic disc and a couple weapons, not any of the gear. You can't compare getting to floor 100 with "functioning retards" to getting a full set of gear. If you want to compare two things, compare getting a full set of gear in old Nyzul vs new Nyzul. I'm nearly certain time investment, all other things being equal, remains approximately the same.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-02-13 19:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't remember taking 900 runs to finish a set of Nyzul gear. Did you even read his post?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-02-13 19:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Pullus Torque is one of the best items in the game.

Chocobo beret! Turn my party into chocobo eggs right as they pop an NM.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-02-13 19:16:18
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the only reason I said "one of" :x

alliance of chocobos vs ADL, np
By Chyula 2012-02-13 19:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

We're not talking about how terribly difficult it was to gimp through level 75 NI with a bunch of high functioning retards. We're talking about an average of 80 runs for your first +5 piece
No, we're not, are we? For most people the incentive for Nyzul was getting a runic disc and a couple weapons, not any of the gear. You can't compare getting to floor 100 with "functioning retards" to getting a full set of gear. If you want to compare two things, compare getting a full set of gear in old Nyzul vs new Nyzul. I'm nearly certain time investment, all other things being equal, remains approximately the same.

the old NI you deal with the RNG one time on the boss floor, this ***you deal with the RNG 11 to ?? time (random floor) and still have to deal with another RNG on the drops you want. They should've keep the old system with the added +1+2+3+4 version with the +5 version on a 0.1% drop rate like VW, this way we'll still grinding the ***for years.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-02-13 19:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the only reason I said "one of" :x

alliance of chocobos vs ADL, np

*** yes
By Quiznor 2012-02-13 19:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

not to mention the ability to start on X floor every time on old nyzul
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2012-02-13 19:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Nyzul will be easier once someone finds out the right proc abilities!
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-02-13 19:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't remember taking 900 runs to finish a set of Nyzul gear. Did you even read his post?
So how many runs did you take? Have you even assembled a set of nyzul gear? I suspect the answer to this question is a resounding "No" for 95% of players.

Then the how and when will vary your mileage significantly. As mentioned, I'm comparing old-old-nyzul to new-nyzul not because I'm romanticizing the idea of terrible content, but because content almost always sees adjustments to make it easier as the months (years) progress, thus comparing it to how Nyzul was when it was implemented is by far more fair than comparing it to how it was after 5 patches.

If you got a full set of nyzul gear before the entire group floor clearing started, all I can say is bravo but then you'd know what kind of time sink I'm talking about, which you clearly don't. If you got it once it had already been out for a year, and everyone and their mother had floor 100, shouting for leech spots to the other 2 pieces of gear they didn't want, then a small amount of luck was all you needed to walk away with a full set of gear in probably less than a month.

I'm not going to pay much attention to arbitrary numbers people pull out of their *** because they are making way, way too many assumptions -- this 900 runs per set figure for instance assumes each and every time you will have people lotting against you, which shouldn't be the case in a static group. How the dynamics change in PUG vs static is the subject of another conversation, but you can see the same changes scale for old content just as much as new.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-02-13 19:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, no one will be lotting against you. I'm sure the other 5 people are just there for the laughs.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-02-13 19:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Took me about a month to finish my denali set.
 Bismarck.Sylow
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-02-13 19:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh I get it.

They said they needed to balance bonanza rewards for level 99 characters.

Sup Nyzul HQ gear.

This update makes sense now.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2012-02-13 19:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

i remember bacdk in the day nyzul was "hard" and gear sold for 1mil
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-02-13 19:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

So about 30 runs. 33 if you had 4 tags on day 1, 34 if you're Captain!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-02-13 19:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

this 900 runs per set figure for instance assumes each and every time you will have people lotting against you, which shouldn't be the case in a static group.
I'm going to take this as a "no" to my question, because it clearly didn't make that assumption.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-02-13 19:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Right, no one will be lotting against you. I'm sure the other 5 people are just there for the laughs.
Like I said, PUG vs static, and so on (and here I'm being accused of not reading)

In a static, if you had 1 other person lotting your gear and they win, your odds go from 50% to 100% the next time it drops, making these numbers completely bogus (as if they weren't already). I don't really understand why I'm explaining this.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-02-13 19:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said, PUG vs static, and so on (and here I'm being accused of not reading)

In a static, if you had 1 other person lotting your gear and they win, your odds go from 50% to 100% the next time it drops, making these numbers completely bogus (as if they weren't already). I don't really understand why I'm explaining this.

So you're doubling the time it takes you to get the piece of armor. Right-o. You're also assuming that the piece you want is dropping 100% of the time. Learn statistics please, you're bad.
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-02-13 20:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

this 900 runs per set figure for instance assumes each and every time you will have people lotting against you, which shouldn't be the case in a static group.
I'm going to take this as a "no" to my question, because it clearly didn't make that assumption.
Quote:
If you successfully get to floor 100, there is about a 10% chance that the piece of armor you want to drop will drop. If it drops, you will lot against at least one other person on it (down to 5%)
 Ragnarok.Kongming
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-02-13 20:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

So you're doubling the time it takes you to get the piece of armor. Right-o. You're also assuming that the piece you want is dropping 100% of the time. Learn statistics please, you're bad.
I'm not assuming anything; I'm pointing out how these approximations are based on some obviously faulty assumptions. The 913 runs figure is based on the fact that you'll have 1 person lotting against you every time, even times that they already won that piece of gear, which makes no sense.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-02-13 20:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

So what you're saying is, each and every time you're targeting a piece of gear, you will still have at least one person lotting against you in a static the first time at least. When both people have it, it is no longer relevant. The first person had to wait an excruciating amount of time for the piece to drop, and the second has to wait twice as long. What part is difficult to understand about this?

I'm not assuming anything; I'm pointing out how these approximations are based on some obviously faulty assumptions. The 913 runs figure is based on the fact that you'll have 1 person lotting against you every time, even times that they already won that piece of gear, which makes no sense.

I'm sorry but it seems that you simply do not understand the post. You'll always likely have at least one other person interested in that piece of armor, static or not. That other person winning the lot was the first of two pieces required, the first set of 900 runs.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2012-02-13 20:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I predict an overflow of Light Geodes that will make me regret buying 35 yesterday >,>
[+]
By Kieron 2012-02-13 20:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly think this is a step in the right direction guys. I'd love to spend 2 1/2 years completing a set of gear for a 10 year old game.

What's more fun than spending Two and a Half Years on such a spectacular event that you can only do once an earth day.

Two and a Half Years.

[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2012-02-13 20:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

God, Now that you mention it, The Flood of Carbites i got.
 Fenrir.Schutz
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2012-02-13 20:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the calculations are based on the overall spread of 15(?) units of armour over 3 different suits (3 x 5.) He's saying the base chance that you want a given piece to come out will be 1:15 (or whatever the total number is) regardless of the actual % drop rate for an item.

In previous Nyzul Isle, each "boss floor" had a filter (20/40/60/80/100) which limited to one armour location. Thus the chance of getting one head needed (on floor 100) is 1:3 (again regardless of the actual % drop rate for the head item from the boss.)

So if all 15 (or whatever) armour units are equally-distributed on each boss floor pool, there is that 1:15 chance (of a given "+" variety) instead of the 1:3 chance from the previous Nyzul Isle event. There is still that 1:3 chance to get a piece from a particular suit, but 1:15 for one particular piece needed from that suit type.

Edit: I could be wrong with my assumption, but that's what I thought Byrth meant. That base chance is then lessened by the other factors he mentions (??? Floor jump to the 100-floor range, number of other lotters, the actual % drop rate, etc.)
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-02-13 20:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

So about 30 runs. 33 if you had 4 tags on day 1, 34 if you're Captain!

Yeah about that. Nyzul was fun and easy for us. We are about to do our first runs. Ive heard the higher the number you have on your uncharted disc the higher the number your random jumps will be. I foresee no problems.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 17