Azure Lore -- A Guide To AoE Burning On Blue Mage

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Azure Lore -- A Guide to AoE Burning on Blue Mage
Azure Lore -- A Guide to AoE Burning on Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
 Siren.Eremes
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Eremes
By Siren.Eremes 2011-04-17 12:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Slane said:
I cant really justify making a PDT Shamshir specifically for a job that is so easily capable of capping it. There's also still no reason to fulltime a PDT Sword/Shield when you can macro a decent sword in for your spells that take half a second to cast.

You don't need to have one, but as a matter of preference, it doesn't particularly matter which you use. Additionally, an extra 2-5PDT on that sword (assuming SE adds more trials for it) would mean 1 less gear slot devoted to PDT and could be devoted to whatever you'd like. In particular, I could see PDT legs being swapped for Stearc Subligar if you could get 999 Defense regardless of your legs' defense rating.

Additionally, when a mob is at 1-10% HP, the only thing really that matters is that a sword is in your mainhand. I've never been right at the cusp where a STR or DEX Shamshir would have finished a mob off over a VIT Shamshir. I would worry more if my Charged Whisker couldn't reliably oneshot things, or put them close enough to death that even a regular Whirl of Rage couldn't finish them off, let alone CA'd and Effluxed.

You could also work in reverse order. If you are taking more than 0 damage from your train, you could conceivably build up TP just by pulling and use CA/Efflux Whirl of Rage before Dream Flower and Charged Whisker.
 Diabolos.Mmbacon
Server: Diabolos
user: Mmbacon
By Diabolos.Mmbacon 2011-04-17 12:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Eremes said:
Phoenix.Slane said:
I cant really justify making a PDT Shamshir specifically for a job that is so easily capable of capping it. There's also still no reason to fulltime a PDT Sword/Shield when you can macro a decent sword in for your spells that take half a second to cast.
You don't need to have one, but as a matter of preference, it doesn't particularly matter which you use. Additionally, an extra 2-5PDT on that sword (assuming SE adds more trials for it) would mean 1 less gear slot devoted to PDT and could be devoted to whatever you'd like. In particular, I could see PDT legs being swapped for Stearc Subligar if you could get 999 Defense regardless of your legs' defense rating. Additionally, when a mob is at 1-10% HP, the only thing really that matters is that a sword is in your mainhand. I've never been right at the cusp where a STR or DEX Shamshir would have finished a mob off over a VIT Shamshir. I would worry more if my Charged Whisker couldn't reliably oneshot things, or put them close enough to death that even a regular Whirl of Rage couldn't finish them off, let alone CA'd and Effluxed. You could also work in reverse order. If you are taking more than 0 damage from your train, you could conceivably build up TP just by pulling and use CA/Efflux Whirl of Rage before Dream Flower and Charged Whisker.

I had a laugh
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-17 13:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

He's pretty much right though... anything that survives CW tends to be at such a tiny amount of HP that you could kill it with a friggin Bronze Sword.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-04-17 19:00:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Idea behind having a sword on is so that you can land Whirl of Rage. This is not a thread about how to gear your Blue Mage, and if you don't know to swap into an HQ staff for your magical spells then you probably can't handle this and should brush up first. PDT sword and Genbu's Shield work just fine for me, and that allows me to keep TP from intense chests for the initial rage which significantly helps limit or eliminated the number of stragglers from a resisted whisker or so forth.
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-17 19:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

sefalon said:
Hey Dasva I will be in bahamut next month and I know you are ready to welcome me and my friends with open arms.... So lets get blinding horn and Ultimate when I get there.
Just got ultimate actually lol
 Bahamut.Dannyl
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-04-18 10:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Prothescar, I thank you for your great guide!
As a new blu mage, I find all this info very invaluable. !!
[+]
By Tebernok66 2011-04-18 11:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Baying moon a viable option if you dont have ultimate? like say war lion/blinding horn/baying moon? or would RR be better in the third spot?
 Caitsith.Xyooj
Server: Caitsith
user: Xyooj
By Caitsith.Xyooj 2011-04-18 16:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
What I'm wondering is I recently tried AOE farming on rdm/blu and even with capped pdt and phalanx and over 700 ***hurt. Couldn't really get anything down to 0. And that was only pulling a few. Granted most those targets couldn't find that many anyways. How's blu do it while taking an 30 dmg per hit? Well maybe more since I might have more def too

hmmm, what's your enhancing magic at? skill + gearwise that is. Usually i can just be subbed anything and still do fine on most mobs, but that's with merited enhancing magic and most enhancing magic gear. 421 enhancing if anyones wondering, think next tier for phalanx is somewhere between 415-417.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-18 19:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Xyooj said:
hmmm, what's your enhancing magic at? skill + gearwise that is. Usually i can just be subbed anything and still do fine on most mobs, but that's with merited enhancing magic and most enhancing magic gear. 421 enhancing if anyones wondering, think next tier for phalanx is somewhere between 415-417.
Whatever the natural cap is. Didn't realize they increased the cap
 Caitsith.Xyooj
Server: Caitsith
user: Xyooj
By Caitsith.Xyooj 2011-04-18 19:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah at 414 enhancing i would get the "phalanx has no effect" deal.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-18 19:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean I was just at the enhancing magic cap because I hadn't realized they had raised the phalanx cap which even at 75 wasn't too hard to do.

I kinda realize the difference now. Gathering them around as blu alot of the time the mobs aren't hitting you that much and you only take 1-2 attack rounds once you get them gathered together so even with less def/pdt/phalanx you overall take less dmg and just sleepga... while on rdm I was just trying to tank them all till they were all dead which was however long it took to do like 4 AEs or so...

So while blu can take a good 30-60 a hit and be fine doing rdm doing it the way I was would be murdered taking 5-20 lol

Did bats in vunkrel today. MM ultimate and lion was oneshotting them most the time. Need some small gear improvements... especially if I go to a zone that gives me less dex/int from cruor buffs but still not bad for something I just kinda peiced together. Still usually started out with WoR just to make sure though since with that many mobs the odds of there being at least a couple of resist aren't that bad
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-04-18 22:38:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Tebernok66 said:
Is Baying moon a viable option if you dont have ultimate? like say war lion/blinding horn/baying moon? or would RR be better in the third spot?

Yes, it's on the same tier as Atma of the Beyond, and thus is an acceptable placeholder for ultimate. I'll add it to the guide~
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-18 22:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

He does bring up a good point though. RR isn't too shabby if you don't have ultimate or one of the +lightning dmg ones. Especially in the first 3 zone and if you aren't using MM since your base dmg from stats will be so much lower to begin with. And it doesn't really look like you need MM anyways since you hardly use that much mp per pull battery charge and autorefresh tend to take care of it... and you get ISLs alot... in fact I ended up opening alot on accident just because there were litterally a dozen or more chest on top each other so I couldn't differientate between them really
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-04-19 12:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said:
Idea behind having a sword on is so that you can land Whirl of Rage. This is not a thread about how to gear your Blue Mage, and if you don't know to swap into an HQ staff for your magical spells then you probably can't handle this and should brush up first.

The same could be said for someone that doesn't know how to swap into a sword for whirl of rage. At this point, there's no point in making a pdt shamshir for aga burning when a terra's does the same thing, and costs practically nothing.

Additionally, I'm not really sure why you're casting haste in your prepull. You're not attacking, and if whirl + whisker is killing the mobs, you're not going to be waiting on the recast for anything.

Nevertheless, it wasn't my intention to pick apart your post. Everything else is well written and extremely helpful. I just started aga burning last weekend and already got myself a refresh harpin from konschtat (^.^)d
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-04-19 12:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The guide is probably to good and more people who didn't know you could do this are going to start thus ruining my fun.

My ls does this with blu + healer and lets the rest of the alli leech..as long as we hold KI's for future emp weap runs...works great for both xp and Ki's.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-04-24 02:37:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Updated the OP with more atma and added a paragraph explaining atma sets.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-24 02:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So far doing this I just one shot with whisker if whirl wont kill the ones that resist so meh
 Bismarck.Zagen
Server: Bismarck
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2011-04-26 11:10:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm looking for some gear/atma advise with my limited options. Here's my current planed set (missing feet base):

I know there's lots of room for improvement but this is lower priority than other things for now so AH options are pretty much it.

Mirke has MAB+4/QD-5 from back when I used COR as my main (I'm assuming its better than Teal due to the DEX)

Are Mavi Tayt +1 better than Teal Slops? I'd assume the MAB would make up the dif between INT and DEX on Whiskers. (not accounting for MACC from the skill)

I just got the hands so I haven't tested with them but prior to getting them I used INT+5 hands and DEX+6 feet until I get base BLU Feet. I used RR/Baying Moon/MM and was doing 1.4k-2k I don't remember getting resisted lower than the 1.4k, this was on DC/EM Gnats in T. Canyon [A].

I don't have the Lightning Attack Atmas, nor Ultima/PW ones. I do have Atma of the Brother Wolf which I'm assuming that's MAB+10 would that be better than MM?

I'm not sure what the math on whiskers is so I don't know much besides DEX > INT. I'll double check over the posts here in case an equation was given and I missed it.
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-04-26 15:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Zagen said:
I'm looking for some gear/atma advise with my limited options.

I don't have the Lightning Attack Atmas, nor Ultima/PW ones.

It seems like you're already aware of what you need to work on first. Acquiring the appropriate atma will give you the biggest returns.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-04-27 13:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Minor updates to the OP fixing an issue with the spell list and adding more clarity in where to find T1 VNMs in Tahrongi Canyon.
 Shiva.Ergiyios
Server: Shiva
user: Ergiyios
By Shiva.Ergiyios 2011-04-27 14:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Well I am dissapoint. Too bad it isn't easier to get ascetics gambir
Licorice Abyssea - Konschtat drop em pretty frequently
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-27 14:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Ergiyios said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Well I am dissapoint. Too bad it isn't easier to get ascetics gambir
Licorice Abyssea - Konschtat drop em pretty frequently
Not always. Took 30 kills to get my last one. Not something I'm going to do just to get something for 1-2 rounds of AOE burning
 Shiva.Ergiyios
Server: Shiva
user: Ergiyios
By Shiva.Ergiyios 2011-04-27 14:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

=( out of the blu mage thread this blm goes....Ya got my hairpin off em and ya they are kinda sketchy on giving em up....but if ya really need one they are the place to get em
 Siren.Liquidsilk
Server: Siren
By Siren.Liquidsilk 2011-04-30 03:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Very nice guide, been working wonderfully, i have a thf buddy that goes with me and he has a whm alt. He just throws on siren shadow and does mass pulls and brings to me Lol. Our small 5 man shell did 5 chloris 3 glavoid one night then 4 and 4 the night before, just from the mass of big golds dropping KI's.

Oh and i've been using blinding horn MM and ultimate, chain affinity efflux>whirl of rage>dream flower> asetics enervation> burst affinity >whisker usually 2 shots everything, fairly sure 1 whisker could but always open with whirl XD
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-23 17:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump~

Couple things that are easy to overlook, but will make pulls easier and potentially allow you to manage bigger pulls as well if you're operating alone:

-Stoneskin enhancing gear. There are four pieces of gear that add to your Stoneskin's damage absorption: stone gorget (30 HP), stone mufflers (30 HP), haven hose (20 HP), and siegel sash (20 HP). Stone Mufflers are kind of a hassle to get as they come from The Buried God SCNM, but the others are fairly easy to obtain. Combined with cruor buffs (allowing you to easily cap your base Stoneskin due to high MND), you can get a 430-450 HP Stoneskin. When mobs are hitting you for minimal damage, that really goes a long way. Depending on the mob family, I can often complete the entire pull + kill process without ever breaking Stoneskin.

-Enhancing Magic Skill+ gear. Phalanx really helps with getting damage taken down to those single-digit values. BLU/RDM has a base value of 132 enhancing skill, which gives an 11 damage Phalanx. With full merits, enhancing torque (or Colossus), and portent pants, you can raise that to 170 skill for a 15 damage Phalanx. merciful cape, cascade belt, and augmenting earring will get you a 16 damage Phalanx if you want to go the extra mile. When you're taking damage in the single- and low double-digit values, 4-5 less damage/hit is a huge reduction in damage taken. When I was killing Attohwa mandies last night to farm feet, I was taking 0-9 damage/hit with Cocoon down, even less with it up. That extra damage reduction cut my damage taken by at least a third and probably closer to half, since Cocoon usually dropped about the time I finish pulling.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-05-23 17:16:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I find that the enhancing gear is only really worth carrying if you have an excess of space. My BLU gear already takes up about 120 slots, it's kinda stupid :< MOAR MULTIUSE PIECES OF ARMOR PLOX

(Stoneskin gear is much more useful)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-23 17:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said:
I find that the enhancing gear is only really worth carrying if you have an excess of space. My BLU gear already takes up about 150 slots, it's kinda stupid :< MOAR MULTIUSE PIECES OF ARMOR PLOX

(Stoneskin gear is much more useful)
Two pieces of armor (torque and pants) is not excessive, especially when the benefits have increasing returns. Stoneskin gear is often less useful if solo, as it will increase your Stoneskin value by 20-30% whereas an improved Phalanx can offer a much greater increase for less inventory (two pieces + merits vs 3-4 pieces). Not like magic merits matter much either, there's really only four categories worth meriting at this point (blue, enhancing, summoning, dark) so most people will be able to fit the merits in now that you can max three categories. If you can get Phalanx from someone else, obviously it's a moot point.

And believe me, I'm not working with an excess of space. My satchel is dedicated almost entirely to BLU gear for less common situations. My NIN and RDM are very well geared, and neither one is light on inventory. Most of my DNC gear is stored to save space. I'm beginning to gear DRK, and have small pieces that have mostly been stored or muled for jobs that I may level in the future. Still very beneficial and very much worth the space.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-05-23 17:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose, it's not a huge deal tho. Raja is an *** :<
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-23 17:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I got extremely lucky with that and picked up my pair 1/1 while working on Caturae clears >_> Kind of silly because I rarely play RDM, so they're used almost entirely for BLU at the moment. Apparently none of our other mages have them either, so now we get to go back and fight Rajas a whole bunch til 3 more drop yay! ._.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-05-23 17:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, not fun. :< Having trouble with the sash too (for stoneskin). Finished a whole ochain without getting it D:
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10