Why Do You Get So Mad About Bots?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Why do you get so mad about bots?
Why do you get so mad about bots?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2011-03-30 13:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't get why threads like this are made anymore... The people who use bots are always going to supporrt them and the people who don't aren't. It seems like some of the people that use them feel the need to justify that they use bots so that others can see that it is ok and then when somoene doe snot agree they will nit pick at them for things like using ffxiah (cmon now!). The people who don't use bots are usually always going to think that its wrong or cheating. Sure there probably is a little jealousy in there as well as some truth.

It does mess with the economy and can put others ahead of those that don't use it. Honestly though its become a part of the game thats not going to go away. So to those of you that bot, keep botting away and just keep it to yourself. Those of you that don't bot deal with it and move on...
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-03-30 13:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Can modify dats to gain an advantage, so..yeah.

:3
Make gokumatz fafnir!
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 13:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I made it because I was pretty bored, and I wanted to predict something... which came true:
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-03-30 13:32:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
It seems like some of the people that use them feel the need to justify that they use bots so that others can see that it is ok and then when somoene doe snot agree they will nit pick at them for things like using ffxiah (cmon now!).
This is called an avoidance strat. If you can't win the argument, make a new one you can win. Or deviate the conversation in a way that questions the other's credibility.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 13:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:
It seems like some of the people that use them feel the need to justify that they use bots so that others can see that it is ok and then when somoene doe snot agree they will nit pick at them for things like using ffxiah (cmon now!).
This is called an avoidance strat. If you can't win the argument, make a new one you can win. Or deviate the conversation in a way that questions the other's credibility.

It's actually the strawman and ad hominem fallacy.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Tronsy
user: Tronsy
By Lakshmi.Tronsy 2011-03-30 13:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:

Has nothing at all to do with avoidance. it comes down to if people wanna toss broad all encompassing blanket statements around they had best be prepared to back them up, or at least be prepared to get called out on it.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 13:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said:
I don't get why threads like this are made anymore... The people who use bots are always going to supporrt them and the people who don't aren't. It seems like some of the people that use them feel the need to justify that they use bots so that others can see that it is ok and then when somoene doe snot agree they will nit pick at them for things like using ffxiah (cmon now!). The people who don't use bots are usually always going to think that its wrong or cheating. Sure there probably is a little jealousy in there as well as some truth.

It does mess with the economy and can put others ahead of those that don't use it. Honestly though its become a part of the game thats not going to go away. So to those of you that bot, keep botting away and just keep it to yourself. Those of you that don't bot deal with it and move on...

And no-one would bring up AH or windower, if non botters didn't call botters cheaters.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-03-30 13:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Some more assumptions? I don't nerd rage, but I'll kick gimp WHM's who can't keep chains and I'll dual box my bot instead seeing as it makes everything more streamlined.
Well if your primary reason (Which is extremely situational, because as of this moment, it seems your only justification for using a PL bot is so the main healer has an auto-pilot function) for using a PL bot is the above, then yeah, that must be some hard-core projection of anger onto other people, because it certainly doesn't infuriate me enough to go look for other options. If I was that aggro over losing chain, I'd kick the weakest link and fix the party.
Quote:
As for FFXIAH effecting gameplay, Economy. You can find trends in items selling at certain times and plan accordingly. Therefore it's cheating.
You can find trends on the AH too, it's not that difficult either if you've got the know-how.
Quote:
Oh I also hope you don't play XI in fullscreen mode when you use windower, seeing as that isn't part of the original functionality of the game.
You have very weak strawman arguments. You won't prove any point by just setting those up for me to knock them down over and over.
Quote:
I hope you've never pinned either, or use the Guildwork client or use FFXIClopedia to find out the drops an NM has. Etc.
I've never pinned intentionally (Tunga has pinned himself a few times for instance). I don't use guildwork. Equally FFXIclopedia is not cheating, it's not even part of the game. Another strawman.
Quote:
You can stop with the ego now though, I think it's cute as hell that you assume that everyone who bots is bad at the game, and you non botters call botters elitists.
I have an unusually large ego because I don't agree with you? It seems you didn't create this thread out of sincerity but more to fellate your own ego, bud. I didn't ask for people's opinions to shoot them down, I've stated my opinion and I've defended it. I'm also not a pushover.

Sekundas, I retract my previous statement on the .DAT editting. Thanks for clarifying. I knew about those things but it didn't come to mind. Cheers on the attitude too.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-03-30 13:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It was made out of boredom for the easily amused by anonomous people with secret agendas.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 13:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Tronsy said:
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:

Has nothing at all to do with avoidance. it comes down to if people wanna toss broad all encompassing blanket statements around they had best be prepared to back them up, or at least be prepared to get called out on it.

+1 Articulated it better than I could.
By Serj 2011-03-30 13:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Can modify dats to gain an advantage, so..yeah.

:3
Make gokumatz fafnir!

But then I'd have to change my avatar ;_;
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-03-30 13:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Lakshmi.Flavin said:

It's actually the strawman and ad hominem fallacy.
Thanks for the correction then, I'm not versed in these.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-03-30 13:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

<insert seven pages of pony pictures here>
[+]
 Diabolos.Megatron
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Megatron 2011-03-30 13:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

botters are lazy asshats. no if's and or butts about it. you cant be pissed at one kind of botter and endorse another. cheatings is cheating.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Tronsy
By Lakshmi.Tronsy 2011-03-30 13:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually considering a lot of the information on the wiki comes from the use of third party tools and reverse engineering that data yes it too would be considered cheating if you want to get right down to it.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-03-30 13:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Tronsy said:
Actually considering a lot of the information on the wiki comes from the use of third party tools and reverse engineering that data yes it too would be considered cheating if you want to get right down to it.
In this line of thinking, you could also say using the AH supports botting and corrupts the economy. It's bad logic.
 Lakshmi.Tronsy
By Lakshmi.Tronsy 2011-03-30 13:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Megatron said:
botters are lazy asshats. no if's and or butts about it. you cant be pissed at one kind of botter and endorse another. cheatings is cheating.

Again with the hipocracy of posting on a website that is essentially a cheat in itself about how cheating is bad.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-03-30 13:42:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Megatron said:

Thank you captain redneck. Where's the beer? Nascar is coming on.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 13:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Some more assumptions? I don't nerd rage, but I'll kick gimp WHM's who can't keep chains and I'll dual box my bot instead seeing as it makes everything more streamlined.
Well if your primary reason (Which is extremely situational, because as of this moment, it seems your only justification for using a PL bot is so the main healer has an auto-pilot function) for using a PL bot is the above, then yeah, that must be some hard-core projection of anger onto other people, because it certainly doesn't infuriate me enough to go look for other options. If I was that aggro over losing chain, I'd kick the weakest link and fix the party.
Quote:
As for FFXIAH effecting gameplay, Economy. You can find trends in items selling at certain times and plan accordingly. Therefore it's cheating.
You can find trends on the AH too, it's not that difficult either if you've got the know-how.
Quote:
Oh I also hope you don't play XI in fullscreen mode when you use windower, seeing as that isn't part of the original functionality of the game.
You have very weak strawman arguments. You won't prove any point by just setting those up for me to knock them down over and over.
Quote:
I hope you've never pinned either, or use the Guildwork client or use FFXIClopedia to find out the drops an NM has. Etc.
I've never pinned intentionally (Tunga has pinned himself a few times for instance). I don't use guildwork. Equally FFXIclopedia is not cheating, it's not even part of the game. Another strawman.
Quote:
You can stop with the ego now though, I think it's cute as hell that you assume that everyone who bots is bad at the game, and you non botters call botters elitists.
I have an unusually large ego because I don't agree with you? It seems you didn't create this thread out of sincerity but more to fellate your own ego, bud. I didn't ask for people's opinions to shoot them down, I've stated my opinion and I've defended it. I'm also not a pushover.

Sekundas, I retract my previous statement on the .DAT editting. Thanks for clarifying. I knew about those things but it didn't come to mind. Cheers on the attitude too.

You can find trends with, what? 5 items? I think you need to learn what trends in economy are. Unless you have a mule at an auction house and you're writing down the prices every day then you're not getting enough information to benefit from it.

And hey now, you shouldn't make large blanket statements if you don't like where this is headed, I've made assumptions on your ego from the "Everyone who uses PL bots must suck" assumption.

I sincerely hope you don't use XIclopedia to look at maps you didn't have too, especially if you use them at the same time as you play.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 13:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said:
Lakshmi.Tronsy said:
In this line of thinking, you could also say using the AH supports botting and corrupts the economy. It's bad logic.

Hey it's your logic.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 13:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Lakshmi.Tronsy said:

People would rather not think of it that way, even when they learn that. It would cause them to question what "cheating is cheating" actually means, when it benefits them so well.

Exactly. I'm still loling at the "Everyone who uses PL bots must suck" argument.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 13:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Many non-reg'lar users who don't involve themselves in discussions on here probably don't know how the site works. I know we say it often, since it seems like this topic comes up often but it's as was stated before.. just a lack of knowledge about the subject and stuff.

I'm not even bothered by that. If someone doesn't know, and is firmly against bots, fine.

But if we tell you 'this is how it is', and you deny it or argue it, then it starts to get ridiculous. lol

People are unwilling to think that something they've benefited from could be considered cheating, when they are so against bots they go red in the face when thinking about them.

And the fact that I'm pretty sure the majority of the anti botters here have partied with people using a PL bot and not known it.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-03-30 13:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

If you buy black sole or dil off the auction house to use in cooking, you support botting. If you invite white mages, red mages, or scholars to your abyssea alliance, odds are you support botting.

We all support botting. Get over it.
 Diabolos.Megatron
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Megatron 2011-03-30 13:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Thank you captain redneck. Where's the beer? Nascar is coming on.
Sorry i'm not a farmer from the 1020's, i don't drink nor watch Nascar.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-03-30 13:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Tronsy said:
Diabolos.Megatron said:
Again with the hipocracy of posting on a website that is essentially a cheat in itself about how cheating is bad.

He's only cheating to keep up with the cheaters that are cheating really hard. The cheatingest cheaters totally started it so god is going to give the cheaters that cheated a little to keep up with the cheating cheaters a pass. It's all in the fine print under the 'Thou shall not steal" commandment, right by the part where it's ok to steal bread if you're hungry and the store is far away.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7