Why Do You Get So Mad About Bots?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Why do you get so mad about bots?
Why do you get so mad about bots?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-03-30 12:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

As has been covered before, claim bots are annoying and cheap.

But as for cure bots, fish bots, synth bots and whatever other bots there are? I might be extremely naive and/or unobservant, but I haven't noticed any. If I don't notice something, it's really not going to bother me. There's just so many other things in this world to worry about other than whether or not the guy fishing next to me is botting, I'm not going to pay attention to him close enough to see whether or not he's botting.

That being said, I will likely never use a bot simply because I play this game to enjoy it. If I don't enjoy something to the extent that I have to use a bot to make it bearable, I'd simply stop doing that thing and do something I thought was more fun. But that's just me. I can easily see how someone might love fighting but hate fishing, so they manually fight but bot fish. Do I think they are cheating? Yes. Do I really care? No.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-03-30 12:35:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Wombat said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Drjones said:
Cheating is cheating is cheating and I don't like cheating. The end.
Well now I have to ask..do you use windower?
It begins...
Should I just stop now?
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-03-30 12:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bots seriously hinder the economy, favoring the one class of people who think it's okay, and the other class who think it's okay because the other guys are doing it.

As far as PL bots go, it just tells me people don't know how to play their jobs.

I know I suck at WHM, but I suck when compared to people that have full spell-cast on their screens who know exactly when buffs like haste will wear off on a team-mate. Does this make them better than me? No, it just means they have more information at their fingertips. That doesn't mean they suck but it means they use a crutch I don't want to use, and because that's the general expectation these days, my WHM stays in retirement.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Drjones 2011-03-30 12:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Drjones said:
Nope.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-03-30 12:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Wombat said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Drjones said:
It begins...
Should I just stop now?
Most likely. /action roll inb4 using windower via ffxiah
Lol. I just love all the people that are strongly against using bots because its "cheating" but are ok with windower/plug-ins.

If I keep talking about this, I will need to find a .gif of some dude beating a dead horse or what not.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 12:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said:
Bots seriously hinder the economy, favoring the one class of people who think it's okay, and the other class who think it's okay because the other guys are doing it.

As far as PL bots go, it just tells me people don't know how to play their jobs.

I know I suck at WHM, but I suck when compared to people that have full spell-cast on their screens who know exactly when buffs like haste will wear off on a team-mate. Does this make them better than me? No, it just means they have more information at their fingertips. That doesn't mean they suck but it means they use a crutch I don't want to use, and because that's the general expectation these days, my WHM stays in retirement.

Big assumptions there. If I pop a cure bot it means that I'm going AFK and I don't want my party to have down time. I'm not selfish.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-03-30 12:43:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not okay with plug-ins, but windower is fine in my book. It doesn't do anything but free up the computer's screen. The initial intent of making the game un-windowed was shattered, people still botted regardless of that, and the un-windowed game just made it more difficult on other players, hence why FFXI released their own windower. The plug-ins however I don't agree with, which is why whenever I've had to use windower, I've gutted the plug-ins manually.

Quote:
Big assumptions there. If I pop a cure bot it means that I'm going AFK and I don't want my party to have down time. I'm not selfish.

Except downtime is part of the game. It is selfish, on your part and on the other five people that ask you to do it. The RDM can heal while you're gone, or the SMN. In an alliance, you afk'd is irrelevant, and the alliance will go on without you.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 12:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said:
I'm not okay with plug-ins, but windower is fine in my book. It doesn't do anything but free up the computer's screen. The initial intent of making the game un-windowed was shattered, people still botted regardless of that, and the un-windowed game just made it more difficult on other players, hence why FFXI released their own windower. The plug-ins however I don't agree with, which is why whenever I've had to use windower, I've gutted the plug-ins manually.

Quote:

Except downtime is part of the game. It is selfish, on your part and on the other five people that ask you to do it. The RDM can heal while you're gone, or the SMN. In an alliance, you afk'd is irrelevant, and the alliance will go on without you.

Not being able to alt-tab out of the game is also part of it. That doesn't stop people installing windower to get around that.

Using a cure bot is about as unselfish as you can get. You essentially make things take less time with no negative effect on the party. Stop being so mad.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-03-30 12:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Glad to see the Jedi mind control of SE still has it's grip on people.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 12:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bartimaeus said:
I should make a cure bot for Abriannah, then I can pretend she doesn't know how to play her job very well. Because liek.. one is totally indicative of the other.

Or~

"We do it because we can".

Inorite.

People who don't bot have the biggest egos ever, I swear to god. The assumptions they make is astounding.
 Lakshmi.Tronsy
user: Tronsy
By Lakshmi.Tronsy 2011-03-30 12:59:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Drjones said:
Cheating is cheating is cheating and I don't like cheating.

The end.

You do realize that using this site is technically cheating right? Does that mean you hate yourself?
 Asura.Kosmik
Server: Asura
user: HydroFoxx
By Asura.Kosmik 2011-03-30 12:59:32
Link | Quote | Reply

who cares about cure bots
but if i'm the party leader, and i realize it, you gonna be kicked, but then again if i realize it, you probably doing something wrong.

it's the bots people use cause they can't claim mobs the normal way, that get irritating
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-03-30 13:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Not being able to alt-tab out of the game is also part of it. That doesn't stop people installing windower to get around that.

Using a cure bot is about as unselfish as you can get. You essentially make things take less time with no negative effect on the party. Stop being so mad.

Except SE has even created their own windower, pretty much devastating that argument. Alt-tabbing out of the game is now a part of the game, whereas it wasn't before.

Using a curebot is not unselfish. It is entirely selfish. You make the argument that you're doing it for the other people, but let's face it, you're not, and I doubt anyone is. The only reason you're in that party in the first place is to get exp, that is an intrinsically selfish thing (Selfish =! Bad, this game is inherently selfish as it is about embossing yourself.), so please don't hide behind the "I'm doing it for everyone else!" argument. It's a very weak argument, and I'm sure they can take a breather while you take a piss. Let's not forget this situation ONLY applies to the primary healer in a six-party setup, where a second healer can take over and make almost unmitigated exp in your short absence.

And seriously? Mad? You obviously have no grasp on argument if you think level-headed responses equate to anger.
By Drjones 2011-03-30 13:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Tronsy said:
Drjones said:

The end.

You do realize that using this site is technically cheating right? Does that mean you hate yourself?
Probably, but no I did not realize using FFXIAH was cheating.

brb, installing Windower and purchasing a claim-bot.
 Asura.Arkanethered
Server: Asura
By Asura.Arkanethered 2011-03-30 13:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

People keep gravitating towards claim bots. I don't think you can change the mindset of someone who does not fully understand the topic.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 13:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Except SE has even created their own windower, pretty much devastating that argument. Alt-tabbing out of the game is now a part of the game, whereas it wasn't before.

Using a curebot is not unselfish. It is entirely selfish. You make the argument that you're doing it for the other people, but let's face it, you're not, and I doubt anyone is. The only reason you're in that party in the first place is to get exp, that is an intrinsically selfish thing (Selfish =! Bad, this game is inherently selfish as it is about embossing yourself.), so please don't hide behind the "I'm doing it for everyone else!" argument. It's a very weak argument, and I'm sure they can take a breather while you take a piss. Let's not forget this situation ONLY applies to the primary healer in a six-party setup, where a second healer can take over and make almost unmitigated exp in your short absence.

And seriously? Mad? You obviously have no grasp on argument if you think level-headed responses equate to anger.

Because six man parties are the only parties that exist? And in that case EVERYTHING in the game is selfish. If you find someone using a PL bot in a dual box or using a PL bot when they have to AFK for 5 minutes any more selfish than simply being in a party in the first place, then you are beyond reproach. Maybe you don't mind breaking chains, I on the other hand do.

I assume you don't use windower macros either then, seeing as the allowance of infinite line macros isn't in the game.

Don't forget to sign out of FFXIAH whilt you're at it because being able to see that much price history is also not in the game.

Best lose any custom dats or music you have too.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Tronsy
user: Tronsy
By Lakshmi.Tronsy 2011-03-30 13:10:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Drjones said:
Lakshmi.Tronsy said:
Drjones said:

The end.

Probably, but no I did not realize using FFXIAH was cheating.

brb, installing Windower and purchasing a claim-bot.

Might as well since you obviously use this site and "cheating is cheating is cheating" right?

Seriously tho get windower so you can at least be a cheater that plays up to his potential, And not a half assed version of what he could be.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-03-30 13:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a fan of bots for several reasons but those have all been discussed.

My question is why do bot users want to convince anyone else that what they are doing isn't bad? Do you need our approval or something? Do you want botting to be accepted by the general community?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-03-30 13:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Because six man parties are the only parties that exist? And in that case EVERYTHING in the game is selfish.
That's what I said, yes, this game is selfish by design. And six-man parties are the only parties that exist in this argument, yes, because it's the only setup in which your argument is even relevant.
Quote:
but it's If you find someone using a PL bot in a dual box or using a PL bot when they have to AFK for 5 minutes any more selfish than simply being in a party in the first place, then you are beyond reproach. Maybe you don't mind breaking chains, I on the other hand do.
Well you must be nerd-raging pretty hard when the chain breaks, like it's designed to.
Quote:
I assume you don't use windower macros either then, seeing as the allowance of infinite line macros isn't in the game.
I don't.
Quote:
Don't forget to sign out of FFXIAH whilt you're at it because being able to see that much price history is also not in the game.
Valid argument. Can you display/articulate how it affects gameplay?
Quote:
I don't have any, but I also don't have any problem with them as they are probably the only user-side modification in the game that only affects the individual and no one else.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-03-30 13:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cerberus.Tikal said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Because six man parties are the only parties that exist? And in that case EVERYTHING in the game is selfish. If you find someone using a PL bot in a dual box or using a PL bot when they have to AFK for 5 minutes any more selfish than simply being in a party in the first place, then you are beyond reproach. Maybe you don't mind breaking chains, I on the other hand do.

People have varying levels of morals and thoughts on what they accept and don't. You can place the 'cheating is cheating' argument and say all or nothing but most people are not completely on one side or the other. Welcome to the world of shades of gray. You clearly are okay with botting but are those party members of yours okay with you doing it? If they are then I wouldn't care if you did.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 13:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Because six man parties are the only parties that exist? And in that case EVERYTHING in the game is selfish.
That's what I said, yes, this game is selfish by design. And six-man parties are the only parties that exist in this argument, yes, because it's the only setup in which your argument is even relevant.
Quote:
but it's If you find someone using a PL bot in a dual box or using a PL bot when they have to AFK for 5 minutes any more selfish than simply being in a party in the first place, then you are beyond reproach. Maybe you don't mind breaking chains, I on the other hand do.
Well you must be nerd-raging pretty hard when the chain breaks, like it's designed to.
Quote:
I don't.
Quote:
Quote:
I don't have any, but I also don't have any problem with them as they are probably the only user-side modification in the game that only affects the individual and no one else.

Some more assumptions? I don't nerd rage, but I'll kick gimp WHM's who can't keep chains and I'll dual box my bot instead seeing as it makes everything more streamlined.

As for FFXIAH effecting gameplay, Economy. You can find trends in items selling at certain times and plan accordingly. Therefore it's cheating.

Oh I also hope you don't play XI in fullscreen mode when you use windower, seeing as that isn't part of the original functionality of the game.

I hope you've never pinned either, or use the Guildwork client or use FFXIClopedia to find out the drops an NM has. Etc.

You can stop with the ego now though, I think it's cute as hell that you assume that everyone who bots is bad at the game, and you non botters call botters elitists.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-03-30 13:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

If a person is botting well, none of you would even know anyway. I run assist and cure bots all the time and no one even realizes I walked away from the computer to do something for my wife.

I'm on the fence though. I don't know if I hate people that seek the approval of their peers for their use of bots more or less than people that hate all bot users.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-03-30 13:26:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't.
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not really siding with anyone but I do want to make some clarification. You can perceive an advantage for those who can see what is on the AH compared to those who can't. You can make a list of everything you're ah camping for and see it just by refreshing the page rather than having to go over to the ah and look but I honestly think this is just a bit HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE to compare to botting in any form.

Also, certain dat mods such as modding invisible mobs or ones 'underground' so you can see them when normally you can't could be an advantage also. Dat modding certain mobs such as bloodsucker made it so people could find it easier when there is only a color diff. Modding nm names in this case could also but but again, there are gray areas for some on this. Is it cheating? Yes, anything against the TOS is but there are some things that are seen as acceptable by the community.

Everyone has an opinion and their right to that opinion regardless of if I disagree but there is certainly more chance to get seen and reported using things such as bots.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 13:26:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Cerberus.Tikal said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

People have varying levels of morals and thoughts on what they accept and don't. You can place the 'cheating is cheating' argument and say all or nothing but most people are not completely on one side or the other. Welcome to the world of shades of gray. You clearly are okay with botting but are those party members of yours okay with you doing it? If they are then I wouldn't care if you did.

Hey now, he's the one who made the claim that you shouldn't use anything that isn't already in the game.

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7