Why Do You Get So Mad About Bots?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Why do you get so mad about bots?
Why do you get so mad about bots?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 11:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Especially bots that don't effect you like Cure bots? Legitimate question here, but you guys get way too mad about how other people play the game XD
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-30 11:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I've covered this, my theory is it diminishes their 'accomplishment' when someone uses a bot.. It has nothing to do with them wanting to uphold rules over some failed sense of nobility/purity, but because when a bot can do what they can it makes them face just how non-leet they are.

That's the only logical conclusion I can come to.. I mean as far as bots that do nothing to you go.. It's easy to understand why someone would get pissed off over claim bots or flee hacks and ***like that, but stuff that will never affect them, it's the only thing that really makes sense.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 11:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
I've covered this, my theory is it diminishes their 'accomplishment' when someone uses a bot.. It has nothing to do with them wanting to uphold rules over some failed sense of nobility/purity, but because when a bot can do what they can it makes them face just how non-leet they are.

That's the only logical conclusion I can come to.. I mean as far as bots that do nothing to you go.. It's easy to understand why someone would get pissed off over claim bots or flee hacks and ***like that, but stuff that will never affect them, it's the only thing that really makes sense.

Yeah that makes sense. That's why I said specifically bots that don't effect people. Simple bots that someone turns on when dual boxing so they don't have to call for a healer for another 30 mins, or when they have to go AFK for 5 minutes.

I never understood why people get so mad over that, but your logic is sound.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-03-30 11:49:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Funniest when people rage over bots benefiting them >_>

"OMG U USE PLBOTZ?????? IH8U! IM LEVIN ALLI U NOOBZ!"

It's like, how dare they get haste all the time and not die.. HOW DARE THEY!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-03-30 11:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bots that don't affect others, don't give two shits. Bots like packet bots that ruin people's chance at claiming, I do.

Mad? Of course not.

I use bots every day, but nothing that interferes with another player.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 11:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Funniest when people rage over bots benefiting them >_>

"OMG U USE PLBOTZ?????? IH8U! IM LEVIN ALLI U NOOBZ!"

It's like, how dare they get haste all the time and not die.. HOW DARE THEY!

Yeah that makes me laugh too, I once had this guy contact a GM because someone was PLing the party and he assumed it was a bot.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-30 11:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh there is one thing I'd like to add.. Even the simplest bot can affect a person's experience.. This one dude in Dynamis once had this complete fail bot that kept getting us killed.. It would just randomly run and start attacking mobs (not auto-attack, it wasn't like it was 2+ mobs lined up, they were completely out of the way it would physically run to them) more specifically, the ones we slept. After like 10 minutes of <call>'s and basically screaming at him in the LS, party and through tells, leader kicked him.

So it depends on how they're used, if you're in a party with a cure bot that isn't very intelligent and it keeps resulting in party wipes, I'd get pretty pissed off.. I have no problem with bots specifically, but if it's just *** everything up, I will get pissed over a bot.

I was never in an HNMLS or really into camping lots of NMs, so I never really faced any of the bots people use in those situations.
[+]
By Wombat 2011-03-30 11:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a time when bots bothered me. I came to realize that it was basically just jealousy that was making me upset (because of all the time/effort they were saving while I scorched my eyes day after day).

I still think claim-bots, flee/pos hacks and such should be targeted more by SE, but that's an uphill battle and not worth fighting, IMO. Besides, it's not really in SE's best interest (from a business perspective) to go around tossing mass bans at this point in the game--especially when considering their current financial situation.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-30 12:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bot users are scum. I will never go near any of them, they are pigs. Ban them plz.
[+]
 Leviathan.Optimis
Server: Leviathan
user: optimisx
By Leviathan.Optimis 2011-03-30 12:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

only bots that really bug me are claim bots but little stuff like heal bots or craft bots ect.. dont bug me at all but even then claim ones dont make me rage lol.
I think most ppl that get upset are ppl on xb and ps just cause they cant use them XD
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-03-30 12:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Slip odds are that guy was using an assist bot. Problem is if you don't turn off your autotarget, once you assist someone it will autotarget on the next mob, thus sending you off like a moron.

If you run an assist bot, always turn off autotarget. When the targeted mob dies, you won't move until your assist target targets a new mob.

That's just a case of a moron not knowing how to use his bot properly.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Malenkos
Server: Pandemonium
user: Malenko
By Pandemonium.Malenkos 2011-03-30 12:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I've covered this, my theory is it diminishes their 'accomplishment' when someone uses a bot.. It has nothing to do with them wanting to uphold rules over some failed sense of nobility/purity, but because when a bot can do what they can it makes them face just how non-leet they are. That's the only logical conclusion I can come to.

Possible, only weird thing is in my experience, the ones that really think they are leet are the ones that are running bots.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-03-30 12:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Malenkos said:
I've covered this, my theory is it diminishes their 'accomplishment' when someone uses a bot.. It has nothing to do with them wanting to uphold rules over some failed sense of nobility/purity, but because when a bot can do what they can it makes them face just how non-leet they are. That's the only logical conclusion I can come to.

Possible, only weird thing is in my experience, the ones that really think they are leet are the ones that are running bots.

The opposite for me. The only people who've acted like elitist jackasses are those who don't run them, and think that they are superior to people who do.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-30 12:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Slip odds are that guy was using an assist bot. Problem is if you don't turn off your autotarget, once you assist someone it will autotarget on the next mob, thus sending you off like a moron.

If you run an assist bot, always turn off autotarget. When the targeted mob dies, you won't move until your assist target targets a new mob.

That's just a case of a moron not knowing how to use his bot properly.
I suppose that's possible, even plausible, but I don't remember him really ever getting the right mob.. For all practical purposes he was being the /assist simply because he kept running off attacking his own mob and our leader was being extremely patient trying not to just boot his ***, the real tank had no choice but to take the mobs he kept taking, the mages kept getting raped because of it.

Those 10 minutes I mentioned were the very beginning..
[+]
By Wombat 2011-03-30 12:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

When bots did bug me, I always tried to just never bring them up. I had friends that almost certainly used bots for crafting and dual-boxing. Since they were my friends, I didn't see a point in trying to play detective and potentially ruin my good opinion of them. Er... I should say, potentially hate them out of jealousy =P
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-03-30 12:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Certain assist bots also will engage anything and everything the assist target targets. So even if your main assist was tabbing through mobs, the bot could have been going off.

An assist bot is a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE idea in dynamis. In abyssea, I use the hell out of it. Not like exp mobs can do much in abyssea.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-03-30 12:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I only hate the ones that people set up to do aby exp parties, but then dont bother to add in the job abilities. You get dncs that dont dnc, dd that never ws, cure bots that dont buff etc. It feels like someone hung a hundred pound sack of steaming dog crap on your back while your digging a ditch and said "hey you don't might hauling this around with you, do you?" except they don't ask. They just stick their toon on autonoob with their trial weapon on and go watch some tv.

We are already chock full of noobs that don't know their jobs, kids disctracted by "multitasking", lazy *** retards (me), parents disctracted by kids, people doing their laundry, people with obvious bladder control problems, loot *** jerks, atmaless doofs, random halfwits and other assorted nuts and morons. We don't need bots, like Nancy Reagan says JUST SAY NO .
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-03-30 12:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bots make me so angry.

Because I dont have the means to 2 box..oh and I play on 360 so I can't use them.

Cure/Fish/Craft bots don't bother me..claim bots get old but ehh what do you do.
 Diabolos.Kiddo
Server: Diabolos
user: BKiddo
By Diabolos.Kiddo 2011-03-30 12:19:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I've played FFXI since 04' on a ps2/3 not being able to use bots, I can see were people would get upset. Personally, I could give a flying ***. I know that I've out claimed botters many, many many, times. I think a 100% claim bot might get me a little angry, but there is no such thing. sooooo..... no QQ here
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-03-30 12:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I have two reasons for the bots that don't affect someone to be hated (not necessarily my reasons).

1) Virus. Whether it's the assumption that people who download bots are incompetant, or the moral views of the people who add the virus to a bot, third party tools (especially from "unofficial sources") are notoriously good ways to get a virus on your computer. The widespread acceptance of those tools would mean a larger portion of the player base gets infected. You know the RMT people would be all over that too.

2) Ethics. No bot "never affects" people. Every third party tool is still an unfair advantage. If you can do something, even something innocuous, that someone else can't you are either: saving time they can't, or bettering yourself in ways they cannot.
Some people have more morals than others. I, for example, think you are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE not to use windower. (EDIT: I realise that console users can't use windower but they're not real people anyhow). I used to be the guy who would hit 3 macro buttons to change gear for 1 ws. By the time I had fully changed gear, and back, precious time had elapsed. The time adds up and reduced my parses considerably. I also happen to think botting is wrong. Sure, there is some level of hypocrisy there and I understand that. I think windower is ok because (in my mind i've justified that) they are things that should have been originally implemented. If it was all original tools then it wouldn't even be an issue. Bots however would never be released with an actual game.

Also a personal point of view: If you 1) pay each month to play a game, 2) pay for a tool to play the game for you then you are paying to play a game that you pay to not actually play and for what..... pixels and e-bragging rights? seriously? that's my 2 cents.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-03-30 12:23:24
Link | Quote | Reply

My favorite thing about bots is when ppl either using bots or ppl that are associated with ppl using bots complain about others ppl's bots.

Hope that made sense.
 Ifrit.Tulnig
Server: Ifrit
user: Tulnig
By Ifrit.Tulnig 2011-03-30 12:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It upsets the balence in the game for those who either choose not to bot or can't bot.

Almost no-one can out claim an NM against a bot.
Almost no-one can make gil faster than someone who bots.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Tokuzi
user: Bodille
By Lakshmi.Tokuzi 2011-03-30 12:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bots = Why are you even logging in, you're not "playing" the game.
[+]
By Drjones 2011-03-30 12:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cheating is cheating is cheating and I don't like cheating.

The end.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-03-30 12:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Drjones said:
Cheating is cheating is cheating and I don't like cheating. The end.
Well now I have to ask..do you use windower?
[+]
By Wombat 2011-03-30 12:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Drjones said:
Cheating is cheating is cheating and I don't like cheating. The end.
Well now I have to ask..do you use windower?
It begins...
[+]
 Asura.Ashleh
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ashleh 2011-03-30 12:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't give a fucckkkkk.

I guess people feel like they're getting cheated when someone is getting an unfair advantage. Dunno.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7