Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » savant's gown / enhances addendum
savant's gown / enhances addendum
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Odin.Terren
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Terren 2010-12-31 02:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

So, after quest spamming and some damn annoying NMs (eff u Ironclad Smiter), I have my Savant's Gown +1 and am on my way to a +2.

For the life of me I have yet to figure out what "Enhances Addendum: Black / white effect" does. Admittedly while running around atma-hunting tonight I didn't really have a break to just sit and test stuff, but apart from the OMG AWESOME NUKE BODY effect, I didn't see anything weird or new happening.

Anyone know what is being "enhanced"?

I've had the set bonus kick in a few times now, that's pretty neato.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
Server: Asura
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2010-12-31 02:48:09
Link | Quote | Reply

most likely the magic skill that is enhanced when you are in either addendum is increased
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-31 02:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
most likely the magic skill that is enhanced when you are in either addendum is increased
Would be pretty easy to test... though that sounds more like an augment... maybe acesses more spells?
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-12-31 02:58:23
Link | Quote | Reply

what do you mean "accesses more spells"? all of our addendum spells say "addendum:white" or black on the scroll itself...what would it give access to exactly? I would say its probably what yuna said.. i'm only 1/10 on body seals to check myself :(
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-31 02:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe at lower lvls idk. Just saying doing somethign completely different is termed augment now
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-12-31 03:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

lower levels? the thing is like level 87 isn't it? lol you crazy man :P

but hopefully i'll spam some NMs or something and get mine soon to test this jazz lol
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-31 03:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
lower levels? the thing is like level 87 isn't it? lol you crazy man :P
Like idk maybe you could use blizz V now ;)
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-12-31 03:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

we can all dream Das.... lol
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-31 03:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yunalaysca said:

I can confirm this is exactly what it doesn't do.

Enhances Addendum: Black appears to be a 5% Damage increase to magic. (Shouldn't it be "Augments" Then? That's adding something, SE's stupid) I'm actually not in game right now, so I can't double check that, but I was 'fairly' certain, but I wasn't paying attention to day or ambient weather, or maybe something else stupid.

Enhances Addendum: White I can't figure out for the life of me. Skills, Cure Potency, Fast Cast effect, Recast time. All I checked and nothing.

With Absolute Certainty, it does not modify skills, and if for some reason they are moddified, it is most certainly not reflected in the list.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-31 03:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Addendum: white... can cap stoneskin with 0 skill and 0 mnd..
 Odin.Terren
By Odin.Terren 2010-12-31 03:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose one could test a tier 3 nuke in dark arts, and then the same tier 3 nuke in addendum: black, and compare damage....

(... also, in bed, not in game) ....

but I'm sure they've done something evil like only apply the damage increase to addenda-onry spells.

Nonetheless i'll play around tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas folks :)
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-31 03:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Terren said:
I suppose one could test a tier 3 nuke in dark arts, and then the same tier 3 nuke in addendum: black, and compare damage....

(... also, in bed, not in game) ....

but I'm sure they've done something evil like only apply the damage increase to addenda-onry spells.

Nonetheless i'll play around tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas folks :)

That's what I tried, but it's hard without tl;dr math, since you have to take out the bonuses on the coat itself as well. Like I said, I am only Fairly certain it adds a Magic Damage bonus, with the glee of having both this Gown, and Bale Cuirass+1 completed in the same day (loldrk) my readings could have easily been clouded by the sheer joy of tehpwnz.

With all that said, "Enhances Klimaform Effect" Adds a magic damage bonus, which is a completely new effect, so it's not unreasonable to think that just because the Gown says "Enhance" and not "Augment" that nothing else is going on.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-31 03:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It's actually really really easy to do on lvl 0 mobs. You actually don't have to do any math the way he suggested since you aren't gear changing... all you doing is putting addendum up. Hell any nuke you have acess too without addendum would work
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-31 03:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
It's actually really really easy to do on lvl 0 mobs. You actually don't have to do any math the way he suggested since you aren't gear changing... all you doing is putting addendum up. Hell any nuke you have acess too without addendum would work

I didn't get around to Lvl.0 Mobs to test it is all, I've been very busy in game with my ever cockblocked quest for Caladbolg, I swear the *** queue of Perle SAM alliances at that *** Carabosse's ??? is enough to make me go An Hero Carradine style.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-31 03:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Even regular mobs would work really. Nms tend to vary a bit for some reason but most normal xp lvl mobs you should hit the same numbers for the same nuke unless you critting
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-31 03:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Even regular mobs would work really. Nms tend to vary a bit for some reason but most normal xp lvl mobs you should hit the same numbers for the same nuke unless you critting

That's how I tested, and only modifying Addendum: Black, and I still say I was getting a 5% damage return on Thunder III. Come to think of it though, I don't recall if I had kept my Cybele pants on, but it was well over 20 nukes I checked, and the bonus was never 10%(Magic crit) sooo.
 Cerberus.Vespario
Server: Cerberus
user: Vespario
By Cerberus.Vespario 2010-12-31 03:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't gotten a coat yet, but if it doesn't increase damage, test to see if it increases grimoire effects under addedum like reduced casting/recast time or cost. That was my original idea of what it might do.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-31 03:27:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vespario said:
I haven't gotten a coat yet, but if it doesn't increase damage, test to see if it increases grimoire effects under addedum like reduced casting/recast time or cost. That was my original idea of what it might do.

Check'd and not as far as I can tell, unless it was such a minuscule amount as to not even take one second off something like Reraise.

Friday is usually terrible to try and do Carabosse or Cereine-Croine, so when I log on, I'll do some real testing to sort this all out, you guys got me wanting to log in now, but I can't destroy all the work I put into making my schedule semi-normal again.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-31 16:05:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, so I messed around with it some more, and the "Enhances Addendum Black/White" Effect doesn't seem to do anything as far as I can tell. Previous results were probably glee-shrouded phantom buffs I wasn't paying attention to.

Addendum Black:
Damage Bonus
Fast Cast
Skill Enhancement
Magic Accuracy
Magic Critical Hit Rate

Addendum White:
Duration Bonus
Fast Cast
Potency Bonus
Skill Enhancement
Gives us Cure V
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-12-31 16:27:43
Link | Quote | Reply

damn Zic...that blows...its gotta do something ><
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-12-31 16:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

check if increases the cap of all magics skills by a lil, since sch is B rate on all skills, perhaps it's A- now? with those enhance?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-31 17:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
check if increases the cap of all magics skills by a lil, since sch is B rate on all skills, perhaps it's A- now? with those enhance?

Again, this was the first thing I checked, and it's very easy to check (Just remove the coat with the addenda on) and it does not modify skills in a way that is reflected on the in-game screens.
 Ragnarok.Signy
Server: Ragnarok
user: Signy
By Ragnarok.Signy 2010-12-31 18:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Zic, without the gown use an Art and then the Addendum, check then the skill cap. After that repeat all with the gown equipped.

I think it must work like with the scholar's gown that you have to equip it before using dark arts to get the bonus and you can take it out after that without loosing it.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-31 18:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Signy said:
Zic, without the gown use an Art and then the Addendum, check then the skill cap. After that repeat all with the gown equipped.

I think it must work like with the scholar's gown that you have to equip it before using dark arts to get the bonus and you can take it out after that without loosing it.

Tried, 368 Elemental cap always.
[+]
 Odin.Terren
By Odin.Terren 2010-12-31 18:22:24
Link | Quote | Reply

... I have never seen the scholar's gown work that way. I use equip swaps to "blink" dark/light arts, so I'm never wearing scholar's gown when I activate it.

On my dark magic / enfeebling build, I equip the gown, while in dark arts mode, and my skills go up by 15 accordingly.

After, I take them off, skills go back down 15. It doesn't require you to wear the gown when you activate, and the bonus is lost once you take the scholar's gown off.

As someone obsessed with augmenting dark magic skill on my mage jobs, I've checked this dozens of times.
Server: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2010-12-31 18:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
Wouldn't do that, it's bad enough SCH is over-powered, without upgrading their skills to A-.. If anything B, but even then it wouldn't happen.

Has anyone tried checking if the cost of using addendum'd spells are lower?

It has to be something that is further enhanced with the +2 version, like all the other pieces.
 Asura.Sotek
user: Otek
By Asura.Sotek 2010-12-31 19:07:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Not tested for it, but I seem to pull hate less often since I got it, so I figure it's -enmity.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-31 19:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sotek said:
Not tested for it, but I seem to pull hate less often since I got it, so I figure it's -enmity.

It could be, which would be very disappointing. That's certainly not something I'm going to test anytime soon.
 Asura.Sotek
user: Otek
By Asura.Sotek 2010-12-31 19:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

idk, if it's something like -20 enmity I think it'd be pretty decent bonus, regardless it's still the best nuking body for SCH. BLMs just got an ability to flush hate every 10 minutes, I won't complain at gaining only 80% enmity on all my nukes. Though I guess it may well be replaced by 99.
 Odin.Terren
By Odin.Terren 2010-12-31 22:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I was noticing the same thing tonight - didn't pull hate as often, ever after some massive bliz4s on trash NMs. It may well be an enmity reduction.

I guess that'd be handy for nuking but I'm not sure this is the best body piece in the world for cures.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6