Then you don't know.

[+]
 Ramuh.Mizuharu
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Mizuharu
By Ramuh.Mizuharu 2011-01-25 07:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Entertain me for a second; SQenix said that it has something to do with Enmity, and I saw the test posted about it not giving direct enmity- bonus... However, what if the enmity isn't getting the enmity bonus? What if, with Enhances Addendum: Black, more/less enmity gives more damage to spells that fall under this Addendum? And the same/opposite being true with Addendum: White. Easy way to test this would be go to a low level zone as /war. Do one nuke completely naked; nothing on (based damage to count as control.) Then do one nuke with body on, but without provoking the monster. Next do a nuke with Body on, but provoking the target first. See if there's any enhancement to damage then?
Server: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2011-01-25 09:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure how enmity- can class as Enhances Addendum, unless it already has an enmity- effect for having it active.
 Odin.Terren
Server: Odin
By Odin.Terren 2011-01-25 11:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Ricont said:
I ran some tests tonight - below are my findings.

Testing Setup:
- 3 level 90 members. 2 with Aspir (SCH and a Control), 1 puller
- SCH has capped -enmity merits, so -4 enmity when naked. Control has no -enmity merits
- SCH and Control must take no damage during the pull
- Puller pulls monster, Control casts Aspir (320 CE, 0 VE) on it, Scholar casts Aspir on it. Scholar then Libras once monster targets the Control.
- Libra results should show Control at 100% enmity.

Test 1
Does Savant's Gown +1 add a static -enmity when in an addendum? If so, Libra should show Scholar at a lesser percentage when wearing the gown after the test.

Results:
Naked Scholar, Control wearing no armor
Scholar 95%
Control 100%

Scholar wearing only Gown, Control wearing no armor
Scholar 95%
Control 100%

Note: Since scholar has -4 enmity, I expected a result of 96%. The actual result is 95%, leading me to believe that Libra may have rounding issues.

Conclusion
Savant's Gown +1 does not add a static -enmity bonus.

Test 2
Does Savant's Gown +1 increase the -enmity given by other pieces of gear?

Results:
Scholar wearing only Novia Earring, Control wearing no armor
Scholar 88%
Control 100%

Scholar wearing only Novia Earring and Gown, Control wearing no armor
Scholar 88%
Control 100%

Conclusion
Savant's Gown +1 does not increase the -enmity of other pieces of gear.

Test 3
Does Savant's Gown +1 increase the -enmity cap beyond -50?

Results:
Scholar wearing -50 enmity and no Gown, Control wearing no armor
Scholar 50%
Control 100%

Scholar wearing -55 enmity and Gown, Control wearing no armor
Scholar 50%
Control 100%

Conclusion
Savant's Gown +1 does not increase the -enmity cap beyond -50.

-----

I have a feeling that Savant's Gown +1 increases the rate at which volatile enmity (VE) decays when in an Addendum. However, I need to create a test for this.

I wonder if this same test should be carried out with an addenda-only spell, instead of aspir? Perhaps Sleep 2 or Dispel?
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2011-01-25 12:00:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It clearly increses Banish damage by roughly 30%, to make Banish II the equivalent of Banish III. What else would it be?
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-01-25 17:02:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Khimaira said:
It clearly increses Banish damage by roughly 30%, to make Banish II the equivalent of Banish III. What else would it be?
But that would be like a whm spell, and we can't go about throwing wild assumptions or xueye will come around and slap us on the knuckles, gotta keep us in line y'know?
 Cerberus.Ricont
Server: Cerberus
user: Ricont
By Cerberus.Ricont 2011-01-25 17:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Frankly I would've gone with hate switching and rely on libra. Also I'd do the test with both of them having base 0 emnity.

You're correct - hate switching is more precise a tool than Libra (as I mentioned for Test 1, Libra was showing 95% when I expected 96%). I chose Libra (and a CE spell) because I was worried about my -enmity merits skewing a hate switch test. This brings up a question: My enmity from merits is -4. If I wear +4 from equipment, has it been proven that my enmity is truly 0 (and not some fraction close to 0).

Thanks for the Weapon Bash/Last Resort/Souleater test. That should be easier to do than trying to cap VE with Bar spells.

Ramuh.Mizuharu said:
What if, with Enhances Addendum: Black, more/less enmity gives more damage to spells that fall under this Addendum?

Requiring Scholars to have more enmity in order to increase damage/cures would definitely be evil :)

Odin.Terren said:
I wonder if this same test should be carried out with an addenda-only spell, instead of aspir? Perhaps Sleep 2 or Dispel?

I wasn't prepared to test VE spells last night; however, after re-reading Kanican's original research, I have a better idea of how to do this.
 Ramuh.Mizuharu
By Ramuh.Mizuharu 2011-01-26 00:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Ricont said:

Requiring Scholars to have more enmity in order to increase damage/cures would definitely be evil :)

Would give a purpose to those Enmity+/- spells for more than just enmity +/-. Think about it; cures doing more with more enmity and nukes doing more with less enmity. Seeing as we don't have Cure V (not saying we won't, but not saying we will...) Cure IV does make a bit of a hate spike...
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-26 00:27:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if they proved +4 emnity would counteract -4 merits... don't see why it shouldn't. Why not just demerit it? Any non melee I play runs around with capped -emnity in abyssea most the time anyways so I demerited... plus idk about you but I've been sitting on 9999 limit points and 20 merits and capped xp for all jobs since like a couple of weeks after the last update... and have nothing to spend them on
 Lakshmi.Raksha
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Raksha 2011-01-27 17:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Ricont said:
This brings up a question: My enmity from merits is -4. If I wear +4 from equipment, has it been proven that my enmity is truly 0 (and not some fraction close to 0).
Try again but have your control equip -4 enmity gear. (Yes I know what a control is, just saying)
 Ramuh.Mizuharu
By Ramuh.Mizuharu 2011-01-28 03:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahem... Sqenix answers your questions

Quote:
Q: What exactly is the effect of the "Enhances Addendum: White/Black" bonuses granted by the Scholar armor "Savant Gown +1/+2"?

A: We hope players will figure this out for themselves by experimenting in game, but one hint we can give is that they will provide a bonus related in some way to enmity.

Again.

Quote:
...will provide a bonus related in some way to enmity.

This could be taken as
1 - All Spells generate less enmity (ruled out in previous test on this topic)
2 - All Spells get a boost with less/more enmity.
3 - Addendum spells generate less enmity (The test above only has Aspir done. Not a spell you need Addendum: Black to use.
4 - Addendum spells get a boost with less/more enmity.
5 - VE decays faster.
6 - Mix of the above.
7 - Something else entirely.

So, seeing as I don't have my +1 body, would anyone care to test the same test above except have it with something like dispel or T4 naked? Someone to provoke, SCH, another job with Dispel access. I know they lowered the enmity caused by this spell recently, but if the body would lessen enmity from Addendum spells, you should still be able to notice a small % difference.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Raksha
By Lakshmi.Raksha 2011-01-30 14:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
It seems like it's an "occasionally extremely low enmity spell under addendum"

Weird hate values randomly proc'ed I noticed.

Oh joy, more random ***we can't gear around.
[+]
By sawyer 2011-02-01 10:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lowers enmity of same spells as Grimoire. However this effects us it seems we'll have to wait for at least the next update. As in SE's secretive, "without going into details" tells us on it's twitter post. Hopefully it's worth the suspense. >.>
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [128 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2011-06-09 10:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

1) Has the "random no enmity proc" theory been confirmed or disproved?
2) SE mentioned there was a bug in Gown some time ago, has it been addressed?
3) Has anybody ever bothered to mess around with Animus Augeo/Minuo to see if it's anything related to them? (Although it doesn't make much sense, since they would or *SHOULD* have wrote "enhances Animus" in the description of the body)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [165 days between previous and next post]
By Yamoto 2011-11-21 17:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Necro bump but...just wondering if anyone else had this happen or is it just me. Was out here soloing Dune Cockatrices for azure when after a Blizzard 5 I lost all hate whatsoever on the mob. It was at 8% hp and hate vanished. Is this a glitch or maybe Savant's Gown has random chance to erase enmity? By the way, using +2 gown if that makes any difference.
 Fenrir.Niniann
Server: Fenrir
user: Ninian
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-11-21 17:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Yamoto said: »
Necro bump but...just wondering if anyone else had this happen or is it just me. Was out here soloing Dune Cockatrices for azure when after a Blizzard 5 I lost all hate whatsoever on the mob. It was at 8% hp and hate vanished. Is this a glitch or maybe Savant's Gown has random chance to erase enmity? By the way, using +2 gown if that makes any difference.

Had the exact same thing happen to me today. Was farming lolobis, manifestation sleep'd the little squids. One woke up and walked away.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-11-21 17:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niniann said: »
Had the exact same thing happen to me today. Was farming lolobis, manifestation sleep'd the little squids. One woke up and walked away.
Squid: *** this, I'm going home!
[+]
 Fenrir.Minjo
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2011-11-21 17:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niniann said: »
Yamoto said: »

This is pretty incredible if it turns out to be the case.
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-11-21 17:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I thought it was a glitch because Thorny got aggro'd randomly by a squid a year or so ago. So I just wrote it off as a weird squid glitch, but possibly not?
 Carbuncle.Wulfshadow
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Wulfshadow 2011-11-21 18:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh god nini test the ***out of this
thanks in advance
you're a peach
srsly
go
do
it
now
I HAVE IMPORTANT STUFF TO DO
 Fenrir.Niniann
By Fenrir.Niniann 2011-11-21 18:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Wulfshadow said: »
Oh god nini test the ***out of this
thanks in advance
you're a peach
srsly
go
do
it
now
I HAVE IMPORTANT STUFF TO DO

LOL <3

Night already devised a way to test it, so I guess we'll probably do that when I get home. :3

Edit: APPARENTLY OLD METHOD AND I'M OUT OF THE LOOP
 Carbuncle.Wulfshadow
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Wulfshadow 2011-11-21 18:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

well, I'd imagine it'd be:
cast stone on something with addendum black up and +2 body
see if it even gives half a ***
if it does, kill it and move on to a fresh subject
if it doesn't at any point in time, we have our answer

IDK
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2011-11-21 18:28:24
Link | Quote | Reply

^ i've had cases where i manifest aspired a bunch of targets and one or two of the mobs would just stare at me and walk away

but yeah if testing proves that this is the case, im selling my nefers >.>;;
 Fenrir.Minjo
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2011-11-21 18:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile during a development meeting concerning AF3 design,

Quote:
Dev. A - As for the set benefits for BLM and SCH, I feel like we'd be best off giving BLM, a job with quite a bit of an enmity problem, and SCH, a job known to fall a bit behind BLM in total damage, an enmity reset and a damage boost respectively. This should help to close the gaps between the two jobs in overall utility. Thoughts?

Dev. B - I like where your head's at, but I have a suggestion: lets do everything you said, except in reverse!

Dev. A - Genius! Why didn't I think of that?! All in favor?

Dev. B - Aye!

Dev. C - Aye!

Dev. D - *** YEAH!!
[+]
 Bahamut.Cuelebra
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Cuelebra 2011-11-21 18:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

so lemme get this right if u use manifestation it erases hate? or whats the deal here with the af3+2 addendum effect
 Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu
By Lakshmi.Sirafiinikkusu 2011-11-21 18:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Cuelebra said: »
so lemme get this right if u use manifestation it erases hate? or whats the deal here with the af3+2 addendum effect
i dont think (if this is the case) that making your spells AOE would be the constant for this, i believe its just noticeable because you are targeting more than one mob, so if it proc's it would proc individually and having more targets would make it more obvious, its most likely a 1% chance to proc or something.
By Yamoto 2011-11-21 22:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I only had it happen when the mob was already going after me. But maybe that's cause I started each fight with grav/bind > helix > nuke. There were times I even had grav + helix + bio2 + poison on it, would START to cast blizz4/5 and it would depop. Other times I'd have all the same stuff on it, cast blizz4 take it to like 8% like I said and then it would depop. Please test this cause it sounds amazing! But...wouldn't that be more of an "Augments Addendum" rather than "Enhances Addendum"? Usually "Enhances" just beefs up something already there, "Augments" adds something different to it right?

By the way, if yall on Fenrir need someone to help with the tests and I'm on let me know! More than happy to help!

As a side note...I have YET to see a set proc with 4/5 +2's D:
 Sylph.Katalsar
Server: Sylph
user: Katalsar
By Sylph.Katalsar 2011-11-21 23:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

All tests were towards the addendum: black

What about White?

If enmity is the case then by me casting cure IV and a WHM casting cure IV on a tank I should be safe while the WHM should be getting attacked?