Forum » FFXI » General » Square Enix Reduces Earnings Forecasts by 91%
Square Enix Reduces Earnings Forecasts by 91%
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Shiva.Darkshade
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-12-17 13:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Reposting this from the FFXIV forums because I thought FFXI fans and players should see the news.

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

It's pretty bad, but let's not be overly dramatic. SE is a behemothic holding corporation with billions in assets. Yeah, it's pretty shocking that they've lost 60+% of their value over the past two years, but they still have billions more at their disposal. Bankruptcy isn't even remotely on the horizon in the immediate future, unless they have a ton of debt or something that nobody knows about.

However, it does give real, tangible numbers to an endemic cultural problem at the company. They are doing permanent damage to their core brands, and unless they reverse course, I could see them being in real serious trouble a few years from now. Worse, Wada and the Board appear to be in complete denial about what the problem actually is.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-12-17 13:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for reposting, I didn't want to spam both sites with the same thing myself.
[+]
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-12-17 13:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just shocking to me that they've let this happen really. I still enjoy XI and don't want to see it go under and I really wanted to see a worthy successor to FFXI. I personally enjoyed XIII though I know many didn't and consider myself a fan of the companies previous works.
 Ragnarok.Slade
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Slade 2010-12-17 13:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I am 100% certain that when SE announces a FF7 remake, their problems will all go away instantly. not that I am fond of a remake, but as a company that needs some money they need to milk the cow more like some companies do with mario etc
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-12-17 13:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I think....
also, what above poster said.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-12-17 13:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I guess this means the monthly fee being lowered or cut completely will never happen lol.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2010-12-17 14:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Well I guess this means the monthly fee being lowered or cut completely will never happen lol.

Opposite of that actually.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-17 14:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Slade said:
I am 100% certain that when SE announces a FF7 remake, their problems will all go away instantly. not that I am fond of a remake, but as a company that needs some money they need to milk the cow more like some companies do with mario etc

I've seen the FFVII remake as an ace in the hole for SE for quite a while now. Whilst it will be an expensive project, a lot of the work has actually been done already. The writing, systems and even battle system could simply be brought up to date.

The amount of revenue they could make with a VII remake is staggering.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-12-17 14:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ragnarok.Slade said:

I've seen the FFVII remake as an ace in the hole for SE for quite a while now. Whilst it will be an expensive project, a lot of the work has actually been done already. The writing, systems and even battle system could simply be brought up to date.

The amount of revenue they could make with a VII remake is staggering.
I'm not a huge fan of FFVII and I would buy it if they remade it.
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-12-17 14:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but I'd only buy it if it netted an 80+ metacritic.

Because I'm all about being meta.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-17 14:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Ragnarok.Slade said:
I've seen the FFVII remake as an ace in the hole for SE for quite a while now. Whilst it will be an expensive project, a lot of the work has actually been done already. The writing, systems and even battle system could simply be brought up to date. The amount of revenue they could make with a VII remake is staggering.

I'd be hesitant to buy it with voice acting. But I'd probably buy it if was in the original text with just upped graphics, more side-quests, and removal of any bugs that existed.
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-12-17 14:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think there's anyway it would happen on an HD console without voice acting. At least most major cut scenes and events.

For the love of god this time bring out the Japanese voice option if they do so. If I recall correctly the JP voices were cut from the NA version of XIII because they didn't have the disc space on the 2x dual layer DVD version for XBOX-360 to add them, and they wanted both the PS3 version and XBOX-360 version to be near identical.

I guess at least XIII's english voice acting was mostly pretty good though.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-12-17 14:11:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Darkshade said:
I don't think there's anyway it would happen on an HD console without voice acting. At least most major cut scenes and events.

For the love of god this time bring out the Japanese voice option if they do so. If I recall correctly the JP voices were cut from the NA version of XIII because they didn't have the disc space on the 2x dual layer DVD version for XBOX-360 to add them, and they wanted both the PS3 version and XBOX-360 version to be near identical.

Not trying to go off topic, but is it just me, or is it unfair to 'gimp' one system's edition simply because the other can't handle it?
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-17 14:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Darkshade said:
I don't think there's anyway it would happen on an HD console without voice acting. At least most major cut scenes and events. For the love of god this time bring out the Japanese voice option if they do so. If I recall correctly the JP voices were cut from the NA version of XIII because they didn't have the disc space on the 2x dual layer DVD version for XBOX-360 to add them, and they wanted both the PS3 version and XBOX-360 version to be near identical. I guess at least XIII's english voice acting was mostly pretty good though.

Voice acting can add to the environment or destroy a game's environment, in my opinion. Metal Gear Solid was really nice, but I didn't care much for FFX. All the awkward pauses and whatnot really dug under my skin.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-12-17 14:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
The steep line at the end is today's drop. It looks like they tried to release the bad earnings news on a Friday to minimize the stock impact before the exchanges closed for the weekend, but were only partially successful. Of course, it's just a huge one day drop... it could bounce back on Monday. We'll have to see.

The real problem is when you look at it as part of a trend over the past 2-3 years:

Every 3 months or so, another disappointing earnings estimate comes out and the stock takes another dive. It recovers slightly on hype for the next game, then there's another disappointment and it dives again.

I'm frankly amazed that the Board hasn't canned Wada for losing 60-65% of their company's value over the past few years. Firing the FF14 staff seemed... mis-targeted, to me. They were only following orders when they released unfinished crap early.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-17 14:14:44
Link | Quote | Reply

How long has Wada been the point man?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-12-17 14:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Since the Enix merger in 2003.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-17 14:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I miss good old Squaresoft-only.
[+]
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-12-17 14:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Shiva.Darkshade said:

Not trying to go off topic, but is it just me, or is it unfair to 'gimp' one system's edition simply because the other can't handle it?
Maybe. They probably didn't want to insight any rage into the XBOX-360 community either though. They did have the slightly gimped version of the game either way depending on how you look at it.

The PS3 version ran at 1280x720 progressive scan with 2x FSAA and slight frame drops occasional. The XBOX-360 version ran at a greatly reduced resolution of 1024x576 progressive scan with 2x FSAA yet had a more consistent frame rate. Also pre-rendered cut scenes on the XBOX-360 version were encoded in a much weaker format with lower video quality while the PS3 version had crystal clear encoded video, probably near BD format.

However if you played either of the versions on an Standard Definition TV you will have noticed next to no difference at the 720/640x480 interlaced resolution that standard definition TVs use.

This was probably due to the game being programmed from the ground up for the PS3 then later ported to the 360 in late game development.

Before anyone asks I own all consoles and don't consider myself a "fanboy" of any. Spend more time on my PC than on consoles to be honest.
 Leviathan.Pimpchan
Server: Leviathan
user: pchan
By Leviathan.Pimpchan 2010-12-17 14:23:59
Link | Quote | Reply

abyssea is made of fail
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-12-17 14:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:

Agreed.
They could take FF13 graphics as a base, too.
[+]
 Fairy.Oragel
Server: Fairy
user: Oragel
By Fairy.Oragel 2010-12-17 14:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh how I do miss the days of squaresoft......
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-17 14:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bobby Kotick and Wada should have sex and create a singularity of managerial failure.
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-12-17 14:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess Sakaguchi knew when to leave...

Leviathan.Pimpchan said:
abyssea is made of fail
[+]
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-12-17 14:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:

Agreed.
They could take FF13 graphics as a base, too.
Maybe that ">50% of FFXIII content" that they threw away and didn't use.
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-12-17 14:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh dear god PC's posting in this thread? On Abyssea: It's the most fun I've had in XI in years and a step in the right direction in my opinion, I'm sorry you didn't/couldn't enjoy it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-12-17 14:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I also don't think it'd take 5 years. The whole thing would probably only take 2 years.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-17 14:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Bobby Kotick and Wada should have sex and create a singularity of managerial failure.

I wonder if Wada has played a Final Fantasy game before.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-17 14:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:

I wonder if Wada has played a Final Fantasy Any Game before.

Fix'd and obviously not.
[+]
 Phoenix.Ingraham
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-12-17 14:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe they should lay off FF for a bit. That name is practically synonymous with "rehash".

When was the last time they had a entry in these series that wasn't a remake/port or outsourced?

SaGa
Front Mission
Ogre (Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre)
Mana series
Chrono series

On Enix's side, they have Tri-Ace under their belt. Though it's arguable on how successful their recent titles are (Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean 4, VP: Covenant of the Plume)

First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8