Square Enix Reduces Earnings Forecasts by 91%
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Ramuh.Zangada
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: zangada
By Ramuh.Zangada 2010-12-17 14:54:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh how much i love it, they let 11 go to hell and it bites them in the ***, isn't karma a ***.
[+]
By Andylynn 2010-12-17 14:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

FFVII is overated hype, ijs. the only reason its popular, is because its the first RPG 90% of yall were able to experience first. cloud and sephiroth were angsty emo pussies. every character was stock, boring, cliche, or both. square thought they were badasses because they could put a few bad words into a game like a fourth grader hearing *** for the first time, throwing it inbetween words where it dont belong to sound cool.

PS2 was the golden era of the FF series :). ijs.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-17 15:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Andylynn said:
FFVII is overated hype, ijs. the only reason its popular, is because its the first RPG 90% of yall were able to experience first. cloud and sephiroth were angsty emo pussies. every character was stock, boring, cliche, or both. square thought they were badasses because they could put a few bad words into a game like a fourth grader hearing *** for the first time, throwing it inbetween words where it dont belong to sound cool. PS2 was the golden era of the FF series :). ijs.

lolwut

PS2 had a whopping 3 games on it. FFX, FFX-2, and FFXII. If you consider those the best of Final Fantasy titles...
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-12-17 15:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

ijs
 Shiva.Darkshade
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-12-17 15:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Andylynn said:
FFVII is overated hype, ijs. the only reason its popular, is because its the first RPG 90% of yall were able to experience first. cloud and sephiroth were angsty emo pussies. every character was stock, boring, cliche, or both. square thought they were badasses because they could put a few bad words into a game like a fourth grader hearing *** for the first time, throwing it inbetween words where it dont belong to sound cool.

PS2 was the golden era of the FF series :). ijs.
Let's agree to disagree.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-17 15:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Andylynn said:
FFVII is overated hype, ijs. the only reason its popular, is because its the first RPG 90% of yall were able to experience first. cloud and sephiroth were angsty emo pussies. every character was stock, boring, cliche, or both. square thought they were badasses because they could put a few bad words into a game like a fourth grader hearing *** for the first time, throwing it inbetween words where it dont belong to sound cool. PS2 was the golden era of the FF series :). ijs.

lolwut

PS2 had a whopping 3 games on it. FFX, FFX-2, and FFXII. If you consider those the best of Final Fantasy titles...
Dirge of Cerberus!
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-17 15:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Andylynn said:

lolwut

X is one of the better FF's, X-2 and XII not so much.

As for Cloud and Sephiroth being Emo... Not really, unless you were skipping most of the dialogue in that game you have the reading comprehension of a 4 year old.

This is coming from me who thinks VII is overhyped but for different reasons.
[+]
 Diabolos.Gira
Server: Diabolos
user: Cameryn
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-12-17 15:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

FFVII was the best parody to Christian history and mythology everrr! It is NOT my favorite RPG, and never was. It is my favorite RPG of the FF series though. Ah... the things they got away with that no one noticed...
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-17 15:10:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Zangada said:
Oh how much i love it, they let 11 go to hell and it bites them in the ***, isn't karma a ***.

Keeping XI updated probably wouldn't change anything.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-17 15:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Gira said:
FFVII was the best parody to Christian history and mythology everrr! It is NOT my favorite RPG, and never was. It is my favorite RPG of the FF series though. Ah... the things they got away with that no one noticed...

Evangelion >.<

Shiva.Flionheart said:
X is one of the better FF's, X-2 and XII not so much. As for Cloud and Sephiroth being Emo... Not really, unless you were skipping most of the dialogue in that game you have the reading comprehension of a 4 year old. This is coming from me who thinks VII is overhyped but for different reasons.

Yeah, I don't get why people keep saying Cloud's emo. He was emo for like 30 minutes(lifestream event) vs. 12+ hours of the entire game where he's a confident, cocky ***.
[+]
By Andylynn 2010-12-17 15:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Andylynn said:
lolwut PS2 had a whopping 3 games on it. FFX, FFX-2, and FFXII. If you consider those the best of Final Fantasy titles...

FFX was like the second coming of the video game christ. characters had personality for once, like auron; who didnt automatically subvert to the 'giant sword wielding, quiet tough guy.' he had depth, a reason to care about him, and his badassery even let him conquer the grave. the story was an interesting concept too, especially the twist at the end. who wants to play a game with the same 'teens saving the world' plot 24/7. it had tons of side quests, secrets, and plenty of things to do outside of the box.

FFXI, this needs no explaination >_>;

XII to me was a beautiful cohesive mesh between graphic quality and story narrative. the character design left me wanting a bit more, but who didnt love balthier and fran? (nomentioningvaan'smanbraplz) it was a step in the right direction for expirementation unlike FFXIII; hence its well deserve nickname in my opinion: final fantasy offline. it gave me a nice smooth taste to wanna pick up an MMO afterwards.

regardless. FFVII sucked.

edit:
Quote:
As for Cloud and Sephiroth being Emo... Not really, unless you were skipping most of the dialogue in that game you have the reading comprehension of a 4 year old.

cloud was the biggest brooding pussy on the planet! he was too wimpy to even get into soldier, and after nibelhiem went down in smoke, he couldnt even bear to think about it and took on his own friend's persona and memories as his own. the cloud everyone thinks of as a bad *** is just a pussy with a severe case of mental repression and schizophrenia!
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-12-17 15:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Obvious FFXI PS2 user is obvious.
[+]
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-12-17 15:13:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Diabolos.Gira said:

Evangelion >.<

Although I liked what Evangelion did as a parody... Shinji was a lil ***... couldn't enjoy it as much as I'd have liked.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-17 15:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

FFX had depth? I thought the characters were exceptionally linear excluding Tidus.
[+]
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-12-17 15:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Please don't mistake random namedropping for a parody.

Japanese fiction has a fetish for that ***. I could write up a report about grape-picking, replace all the technical terms with biblical names, then have people worship it as something "deep".
[+]
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-12-17 15:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

In my personal opinion:

NES: III>I>II
SNES: VI>IV>V
PSX: IX>VII>VIII
PS2: XI>X>XII>X-2>VII:DOC
GC: FFCC>there weren't any other silly!
PS3: XIII>XIV(For the moment)
GBA: VI>IV
DS: IV>III

or

XI > IX > VI > IV > FFCC > X > XII > VII > V > XIII > X-2 > VIII > III > I > FF:DOC > XIV > II

Just my personal opinion!
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-12-17 15:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, but FFX's characters were as two-dimensional as it gets in terms of writing and depth.

Aside from that Fran, Penelo and (Though arguable) Vaan, FFXII had the most fleshed out cast, though it still pales in comparison to something like Mass Effect and many other RPG's.

IX was also pretty great in that regard as well. I do have to agree though, FFVII is overhyped fluff, though enjoyable, which is more than you can say about 70% of games today.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-17 15:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Andylynn said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Andylynn said:
lolwut PS2 had a whopping 3 games on it. FFX, FFX-2, and FFXII. If you consider those the best of Final Fantasy titles...

FFX was like the second coming of the video game christ. characters had personality for once, like auron; who didnt automatically subvert to the 'giant sword wielding, quiet tough guy.' he had depth, a reason to care about him, and his badassery even let him conquer the grave. the story was an interesting concept too, especially the twist at the end. who wants to play a game with the same 'teens saving the world' plot 24/7. it had tons of side quests, secrets, and plenty of things to do outside of the box.

XII to me was a beautiful cohesive mesh between graphic quality and story narrative. the character design left me wanting a bit more, but who didnt love balthier and fran? (nomentioningvaan'smanbraplz) it was a step in the right direction for expirementation unlike FFXIII; hence its well deserve nickname in my opinion: final fantasy offline. it gave me a nice smooth taste to wanna pick up an MMO afterwards.

Tidus was a teen, Tidus saved the world.

What game were you playing? lol.

As for personality... Hmm, maybe. There were ups and downs in the character development. Kimahri and Lulu had awful personalities.

They also pretty much trailed off with the Chappu storyline.

As for XII, no. I actually like to play the game and not just set up gambits for the game to play itself.
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-12-17 15:16:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Ingraham said:
Please don't mistake random namedropping for a parody.

Japanese fiction has a fetish for that ***. I could write up a report about grape-picking, replace all the technical terms with biblical names, then have people worship it as something "deep".

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=199

In FFVII they didn't just name drop, they followed a theme. If they just used biblical names that'd be one thing. I could go into more depth if you need but I'd hope the correlations would be obvious.
By Andylynn 2010-12-17 15:17:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
FFX had depth? I thought the characters were exceptionally linear excluding Tidus.
and that linearity was? FFVII-IX were loaded with your typical anime archetypes, X branched out and made the characters worth liking.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-17 15:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Andylynn said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Andylynn said:

edit:
Quote:

cloud was the biggest brooding pussy on the planet! he was too wimpy to even get into soldier, and after nibelhiem went down in smoke, he couldnt even bear to think about it and took on his own friend's persona and memories as his own. the cloud everyone thinks of as a bad *** is just a pussy with a severe case of mental repression and schizophrenia!

Did you play the second part of the game? After cloud recovers from Mako poisoning? If you want to go there, Tidus was a brooding pussy, he spent the entirety of the game crying about being abused as a child, and didn't have the balls to stand up to his father.

We both know that's selectively choosing the negative traits of the character whilst ignoring the positive parts.
By Andylynn 2010-12-17 15:20:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Sorry, but FFX's characters were as two-dimensional as it gets in terms of writing and depth. Aside from that Fran, Penelo and (Though arguable) Vaan, FFXII had the most fleshed out cast, though it still pales in comparison to something like Mass Effect and many other RPG's. IX was also pretty great in that regard as well. I do have to agree though, FFVII is overhyped fluff, though enjoyable, which is more than you can say about 70% of games today.
high five to you for mentioning mass effect. you get +1 internets.

western RPGs = real RPGs, 'JRPG" = half assed action adventure game where you move your bland teen through a scifi setting from plot device A to B. no interaction with the world or characters, no decision making, no influence because of your actions... its just preprescribed notions written by someone else for you to execute. why should we have to fall for the obvious trap or trust the obvious villian? JRPGs fail :(
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-17 15:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Darkshade said:
In my personal opinion:

NES: III>I>II
SNES: VI>IV>V
PSX: IX>VII>VIII
PS2: XI>X>XII>X-2>VII:DOC
GC: FFCC>there weren't any other silly!
PS3: XIII>XIV(For the moment)
GBA: VI>IV
DS: IV>III

or

XI > IX > VI > IV > FFCC > XII > VII > V > XIII > X-2 > VIII > III > I > FF:DOC > XIV > II

Just my personal opinion!

For me:

VI > VIII > IX > X > V > XI > VII > IV > I > XII > XIII > II > III
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-12-17 15:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Andylynn said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
and that linearity was? FFVII-IX were loaded with your typical anime archetypes, X branched out and made the characters worth liking.

Tidus was the only one to actually change. He had been fighting his fate all along, and finally at the end, he accepted it. Auron remained the same throughout the entire game, the only thing that changed was what you found out about him. And the other characters.. they don't even need mentioning because if you'd play the game you'd have known they stagnent as all hell.
[+]
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-12-17 15:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The real-brickshitter is that all JRPGs find their roots in Wizardry and Ultima.

Y'know, Wizardry and Ultima, the original WRPGs.

So technically... wouldn't JRPGs be real RPGs?

Still doesn't stop Planescape: Torment from being one of the best story-based RPGs ever. I have a problem with linear video games with no choices, masquerading as "good stories".
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-12-17 15:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Bobby Kotick and Wada should have sex and create a singularity of managerial failure.

I wonder if Wada has played a Final Fantasy game before.
Probably not. He came from Enix.

Remember that the SquareEnix merger wasn't really a merger. Enix basically bought them, for all intents and purposes, and installed mostly Enix execs at the top.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-17 15:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Andylynn said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Sorry, but FFX's characters were as two-dimensional as it gets in terms of writing and depth. Aside from that Fran, Penelo and (Though arguable) Vaan, FFXII had the most fleshed out cast, though it still pales in comparison to something like Mass Effect and many other RPG's. IX was also pretty great in that regard as well. I do have to agree though, FFVII is overhyped fluff, though enjoyable, which is more than you can say about 70% of games today.
high five to you for mentioning mass effect. you get +1 internets.

western RPGs = real RPGs, 'JRPG" = half assed action adventure game where you move your bland teen through a scifi setting from plot device A to B. no interaction with the world or characters, no decision making, no influence because of your actions... its just preprescribed notions written by someone else for you to execute. why should we have to fall for the obvious trap or trust the obvious villian? JRPGs fail :(

I've yet to play a WRPG that has more than 2 painfully obvious moralistic choices which basically make you a bad guy or a good guy.

Once you find a game with moralistic choices in the shades of grey, call me.
By Andylynn 2010-12-17 15:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Andylynn said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Andylynn said:
FFX was like the second coming of the video game christ. characters had personality for once, like auron; who didnt automatically subvert to the 'giant sword wielding, quiet tough guy.' he had depth, a reason to care about him, and his badassery even let him conquer the grave. the story was an interesting concept too, especially the twist at the end. who wants to play a game with the same 'teens saving the world' plot 24/7. it had tons of side quests, secrets, and plenty of things to do outside of the box. FFXI, this needs no explaination >_>; XII to me was a beautiful cohesive mesh between graphic quality and story narrative. the character design left me wanting a bit more, but who didnt love balthier and fran? (nomentioningvaan'smanbraplz) it was a step in the right direction for expirementation unlike FFXIII; hence its well deserve nickname in my opinion: final fantasy offline. it gave me a nice smooth taste to wanna pick up an MMO afterwards. regardless. FFVII sucked. edit:
Quote:
Did you play the second part of the game? After cloud recovers from Mako poisoning? If you want to go there, Tidus was a brooding pussy, he spent the entirety of the game crying about being abused as a child, and didn't have the balls to stand up to his father. We both know that's selectively choosing the negative traits of the character whilst ignoring the positive parts.
indeed i did, and he suffered a common cliche in anime; the convenient roadblock to essentially "man-up." despite tidus' immaturity, we also got to see him develop in a romantic view, and eventually grow up by the end of the game rather than just have a conveniently placed hardship to force him to do so. thats just plan boring, and cliche.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-17 15:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Andylynn said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Andylynn said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Andylynn said:
FFX was like the second coming of the video game christ. characters had personality for once, like auron; who didnt automatically subvert to the 'giant sword wielding, quiet tough guy.' he had depth, a reason to care about him, and his badassery even let him conquer the grave. the story was an interesting concept too, especially the twist at the end. who wants to play a game with the same 'teens saving the world' plot 24/7. it had tons of side quests, secrets, and plenty of things to do outside of the box. FFXI, this needs no explaination >_>; XII to me was a beautiful cohesive mesh between graphic quality and story narrative. the character design left me wanting a bit more, but who didnt love balthier and fran? (nomentioningvaan'smanbraplz) it was a step in the right direction for expirementation unlike FFXIII; hence its well deserve nickname in my opinion: final fantasy offline. it gave me a nice smooth taste to wanna pick up an MMO afterwards. regardless. FFVII sucked. edit:
Quote:
Did you play the second part of the game? After cloud recovers from Mako poisoning? If you want to go there, Tidus was a brooding pussy, he spent the entirety of the game crying about being abused as a child, and didn't have the balls to stand up to his father. We both know that's selectively choosing the negative traits of the character whilst ignoring the positive parts.
indeed i did, and he suffered a common cliche in anime; the convenient roadblock to essentially "man-up." despite tidus' immaturity, we also got to see him develop in a romantic view, and eventually grow up by the end of the game rather than just have a conveniently placed hardship to force him to do so. thats just plan boring, and cliche.

We see Cloud develop. Him getting Mako poisoning didn't change him completely, he was pushing himself forward up until that point, trying to find out why he's having flashbacks. And Cloud also developed a romantic view. You could say Yuna marrying Seymour was the conveniently placed hardship for Tidus to surpass.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8