users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Are half the female players someone's BF or spouse
Are half the female players someone's BF or spouse
First Page 2 3 4 ... 14 15 16
By Alaik 2010-08-01 13:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Daus said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Why do the majority of girls pretend that there aren't girls all over the places taking advantage of guys hourly on just ffxi?

what about the amount of guys who have programed and built your haxing bots and linkshells that screw over regular players and haxors into peoples accounts?

or the guys who have pretended to be girls so that they could take advantage of gullible guys?

f yeah gullibility

This is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Alot of women do that and it's noticeable by even women, it's not a sexist viewpoint, it's a common occurence. The guy stated he wasn't attempting to make a generalization (which you're antagonizing) then you claim all the bot makers/hackers are men?

K.

Interesting statistics though Jaerik, I'll show my wife when she gets home, I would have assumed the majority of women would be dating/engaged, not married.
[+]
 Leviathan.Iphigenia
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Iphigenia 2010-08-01 13:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Does someone have the stats on young virgin dudes who are bummed that real life women are playing but already have a romantic partner?

Isn't that what this is really about?

Do you seriously think you're going to find a girlfriend in Vana'diel?
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-01 13:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Asura.Bluespoons said:
This is why I'm glad sometimes that ppl think I'm a guy. Other times it's a little annoying.
You are a taru with pigtails, how would they ever seriously think that?
I'm a Shantotto Taru, people always think I'm a guy.
It's the blm hat... I mean you look like a gu... I mean hi you are a pretty pretty princess :)
By Eirinne 2010-08-01 14:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Tool said:
Every girl has different motivation as to what they do and why, but I would like to think the general reason to playing this game was to enjoy the fact that it's Final Fantasy :x
You can't think that, it makes perfect sense!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Zefiris
Server: Caitsith
user: Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-08-01 14:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I should contribute, I played before I met my boyfriend and I still play after he quit.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-08-01 14:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Iphigenia said:
Does someone have the stats on young virgin dudes who are bummed that real life women are playing but already have a romantic partner?

I don't think so... I don't think this is a case of putting women on a pedestal etc, just wondering about demographic trends?

And no, everyone knows the only place you meet a girlfriend is in a bar or a club or some other classy area where you are definitely not intoxicated, duh. How dare you meet someone anywhere else?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-01 14:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
I guess I should contribute, I played before I met my boyfriend and I still play after he quit.
Of course. Clearly you met your bf on ffxi and he quit cause you took all his stuff!!!
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-01 14:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I found a few... most of them sucked hard. And not in... ok in the good way too but yeah the not good way as well
 Bismarck.Aena
Server: Bismarck
user: Phoenixe
By Bismarck.Aena 2010-08-01 14:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to get him to play! >:0

(and was completely single until 3 years after playing this)
 Caitsith.Zefiris
user: Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-08-01 14:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Caitsith.Zefiris said:
Of course. Clearly you met your bf on ffxi and he quit cause you took all his stuff!!!

Actually, I bought him a ~300k Mary's Horn a week before he quit. That was about all the gil I had back then!
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-08-01 14:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people thing they can find a girlfriend anywhere lol. Or boyfriend. It goes both ways. :3
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-01 14:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Gender Roles and Behaviors Among Online Gamers
USC, Ohio U, Stanford, U Delaware

Lots of sources cited from as recently as 1-2 years ago.

Gender Swapping and Socializing in Cyberspace: An Exploratory Study

Zaheer Hussain, Mark D. Griffiths. CyberPsychology & Behavior. February 2008, 11(1): 47-53. doi:10.1089/cpb.2007.0020.

Numbers have only changed from Daedalus Project's data by +/- 5% or so over most of the last decade, it seems. (Where they overlap, anyway.)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-01 14:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Some people thing they can find a girlfriend anywhere lol. Or boyfriend. It goes both ways. :3
Techincally you can. Except on US submarine or some other kind of non-mixed gender place... good luck finding a gf there ;)
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-01 14:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Techincally you can. Except on US submarine or some other kind of non-mixed gender place... good luck finding a gf there ;)
Not anymore. =)
 Leviathan.Iphigenia
By Leviathan.Iphigenia 2010-08-01 14:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:

I don't think so... I don't think this is a case of putting women on a pedestal etc, just wondering about demographic trends?

And no, everyone knows the only place you meet a girlfriend is in a bar or a club or some other classy area where you are definitely not intoxicated, duh. How dare you meet someone anywhere else?

Any time some whiner starts on about female gamers it's always the same nonsense... They talk like girls are from outer space or somehow not human in the way a male player is.

"So does this mean that females won't play MMOs unless they have someone to play them with?"

This quote from the OP doesn't sound like someone interested in demographics. On the contrary, it sounds like another closet misogynist that thinks women aren't able to function without men just because the ladies he meets in game happen to be involved and gaming with their partners.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-01 14:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Not anymore. =)
I knew they were working on it... but thought it would take longer. Also word was they would make all female ones first. Especially considering the extreme space issues would make seperate heads/berthing hard... but since they starting with only officers it would be alittle easier... still officer enlisted relationship = big nono. Actually technically people in the same command are no no

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-08-01 14:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
There are statistics on this sort of thing, you know. =)

Daedalus.Project said:
If we assume an 85:15 gender ratio and the noted singles rate, then for every single woman in an MMO, there are 10 single men.

Jaerik, You see a correlation with Married women and single guys???

Dangerous, LOL!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-08-01 14:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think any of us (OP or myself, or even Iphigenia) are trying to speak in generalizations. I'm sure there are actual female characters who exploit their gender to get stuff. And I'm also sure there are young virgin mysoginistic asshats who treat all women poorly.

My points is more that just by the sheer numbers alone, and the probabilities involved, if you see a female character exploiting it to Get Stuff(tm), chances are significantly higher that it's a dude. Just from a multiplicative combination of M-to-F player ratios, M-to-F contrast of who's single and who plays with a s/o in MMO's, and the percent of gender-crossing characters and their stated reasons for doing so. I haven't actually ran the T-tests but it seems pretty damn obvious.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
Server: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-08-01 14:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmmm funny funny.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-08-01 14:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:

Any time some whiner starts on about female gamers it's always the same nonsense... They talk like girls are from outer space or somehow not human in the way a male player is.

"So does this mean that females won't play MMOs unless they have someone to play them with?"

This quote from the OP doesn't sound like someone interested in demographics. On the contrary, it sounds like another closet misogynist that thinks women aren't able to function without men just because the ladies he meets in game happen to be involved and gaming with their partners.

I think you're reading too much into it <_<
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-01 14:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Does someone have the stats on young virgin dudes who are bummed that real life women are playing but already have a romantic partner? Isn't that what this is really about? Do you seriously think you're going to find a girlfriend in Vana'diel?
I don't think so... I don't think this is a case of putting women on a pedestal etc, just wondering about demographic trends? And no, everyone knows the only place you meet a girlfriend is in a bar or a club or some other classy area where you are definitely not intoxicated, duh. How dare you meet someone anywhere else?

Nicer than I would've put it...
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Iphigenia
By Leviathan.Iphigenia 2010-08-01 14:25:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I don't think any of us (OP or myself, or even Iphigenia) are trying to speak in generalizations. I'm sure there are actual female characters who exploit their gender to get stuff. And I'm also sure there are young virgin mysoginistic asshats who treat all women poorly.

My points is more that just by the sheer numbers alone, and the probabilities involved, if you see a female character exploiting it to Get Stuff(tm), chances are significantly higher that it's a dude. Just from a multiplicative combination of M-to-F player ratios, M-to-F contrast of who's single and who plays with a s/o in MMO's, and the percent of gender-crossing characters and their stated reasons for doing so. I haven't actually ran the T-tests but it seems pretty damn obvious.

Not only is it more probable that it's a male player posing as a female due to the raw numbers, the data has also shown that female players engage in MMOs for more "social" reasons than males.

There's no way to avoid generalizing here, but most female players would likely not find this kind of a scam as attractive as a male seeking monetary or equipment rewards.

I think that a great many of these supposedly jilted fellows who got "robbed" of in-game stuff were likely naive stalker types who would shower another player with gifts even if the attention is not reciprocated and the gender of the other player is unknown.

I see this kind of silly behavior in real life all the time. Guy gives crap to girl thinking this will buy her affection, she is vaguely insulted and disinterested in these advances.

Think of the lost stuff as idiot tax.

[+]
 Leviathan.Iphigenia
By Leviathan.Iphigenia 2010-08-01 14:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Does someone have the stats on young virgin dudes who are bummed that real life women are playing but already have a romantic partner? Isn't that what this is really about? Do you seriously think you're going to find a girlfriend in Vana'diel?
I don't think so... I don't think this is a case of putting women on a pedestal etc, just wondering about demographic trends? And no, everyone knows the only place you meet a girlfriend is in a bar or a club or some other classy area where you are definitely not intoxicated, duh. How dare you meet someone anywhere else?

Nicer than I would've put it...

Really? Can you not read?
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-01 14:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep typical female. If you don't agree with her you clearly are stupid or can't read
[+]
 Asura.Daleterrence
Server: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-08-01 14:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yay for being cynical!
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-08-01 14:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, he did ask that question. He probably didn't mean it in such a literal way as to say "do you agree with me that women are useless without the presence of males, female rights are a joke, etc etc etc"?

I don't think he means it in that context at all...
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 14 15 16