Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2015-01-29 12:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you really don't understand what random actually means. Crit chance is random. Missing a skill shot is not random. Random would be if you landed your skill shot, but it didn't work this time.

There is a reason they are referred to as skill shots.
[+]
 Asura.Lolserj
user: Andras
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 12:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Essentially in the easiest to understand way possible Riot wants to nerf and buff champions so that when they nerf champions they just make the weaknesses a champion already has more apparent, and when buffing a champion they want to focus on buffing their strengths to let them shine in the best way possible instead of buffing their weak points and nerfing strong points.

A method like this allows for champions to remain playable even after they've been nerfed, and remain balanced when buffed.

Riot has recently taken this policy to avoid things like when they nerfed Evelynn into the ground and made her so bad that players were getting banned for picking her in ranked for aiding the enemy team (this actually happened)

When a champion has no clear weaknesses, or when buffing their strengths would just result in a toxic champion and nerfing their strengths would just make them too weak to play they need to think about reworking that champion. That's why champions like Taric, Sion, Karma, etc. have seen reworks over the years.

This is why Morello has basically stated "sorry Poppy mains, but if your champion becomes popular expect one of two things to happen: Poppy getting a rework, or Poppy getting nerfed into oblivion like Evelynn was" She has a toxic kit, and needs a rework, this is why things that "upset the playerbase of a certain champion" need to happen. Because *** those people they don't really matter, learn to play a new champion you piece of ***.

What exactly were Fizz's, Akali's, Zed's, and Ahri's weaknesses and Strengths?

As far as I can tell their strengths were generally somewhere along the lines of:
  • Can split push because they can 100-0 anyone who tries to fight them

• Can single target burst and 100-0 someone

• Extremely mobile to get in and out without risk

With weaknesses along the lines of:
  • Can't do AoE burst I guess?

• Idk they can't build tanky and do lots of damage probably?

• Uh they can't assassinate the player so they aren't really infinitely powerful I guess

In a case like this pseudo-reworks(the entire champion isn't being picked up torn apart and remade they are just getting number tweaks, minor skill updates, and if you want to call removing an item a champion rework sure why the *** not) they aren't really reworking a champion to make them different due to archaic mechanics that just don't really work anymore as the game grew, but are instead giving champions that don't really have weaknesses some sort of weakness, even though it really isn't

I suppose they could have made Zed, Ahri, Fizz, and Akali AoE burst less, but that wouldn't make sense because it's pretty much already non-existent.

Instead what they have to do is say "Well let's give these champions a window of opportunity, if they land the skill shot they can burst someone, if not then *** it they need to try again later"

In the case for Akali it was more of a "Haha *** you Akali mains" and in the case for Zed it was along the lines of "Haha, yeah we 'nerfed' Zed"
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 12:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop playing the game if you think that making it so that you can't just 100-0 someone on a whim is unreasonable.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-29 12:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

They should go full Smite and make everything or nearly everything skill shots.
I wonder how people use their mouse to have so many issues with quickcasts and co.

The issue with LoL's assassins is that they're glass cannons with thousands of escapes. The whole mobility design is what makes most assassins unbalanced. They have to rely on invincibility moves/frames to get ***done, it's flawed design by default. Mobility makes or break a champion, it's been like this since season 3 at the very least.

A Zed shouldn't be able to get out of jail free the way it does right now, an Ahri shouldn't have 50 Flashes every 50 seconds, Fizz shouldn't have a Zhonya on an 8 seconds cooldown. And so on, it's endless. As long as Riot has to resort giving extreme tools to glass cannons to make sure they can survive, it won't work. Of course, in Riot's design, these things are used to better chase, or to be able to counter what the other players can do but, in practice, it makes for skills that are just too extreme and used defensively. This is the same mentality as them forcing Flash to be used offensively a little while ago, except they're backwards when it comes to skills.

The damage reduction on Katarina's E while being ***as an idea is still miles better than any of the escapes I've mentioned above. If Katarina doesn't kill or get assists when she commits, she can easily get blown up. It is somewhat offset by her base movement speed and smart use of her E in a defensive way, but she's still rather easy to punish compared to the 3 names above.

They're going in the right direction with Akali's fixes, but I really fear them overbuffing champs that supposedly lose DFG's power. Truth is, most people in solo queue never built DFG on those champions or didn't use it properly, so got a straight buff. A good example would be Bronze/Silver which is going to become hell because of those buffs. Riot really went full ostrich on this one.
But that's what we get when Riot is obsessed over patching a game that is aimed toward 100 players, leaving the other millions in the dark. I really wish they had employees who had played fighting games instead of FFXI.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 12:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Asura.Dameshi said: »
I think you really don't understand what random actually means. Crit chance is random. Missing a skill shot is not random. Random would be if you landed your skill shot, but it didn't work this time.

There is a reason they are referred to as skill shots.
No you don't get it, Skill shots is just marketing and PR by Riot. It does not take much skill to use a skill shot. As long as there is a set chance over a sample size of it's reliability and accuracy, that's exactly what it is, is a chance. And no matter how good the player that chance is there. It's just facts.

Just go *** yourself.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-29 12:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Skill shots =/= Hearthstone.

I'll take any skill shot in LoL over literally winning thanks to lady luck.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 12:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said:
I shot my Ezreal ult backwards once, so they should remove skillshots from the game.
[+]
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 12:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Skill shots =/= Hearthstone.

I'll take any skill shot in LoL over literally winning thanks to lady luck.

Can you imagine if everything in the game were taric stuns and fiddle fears?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-29 12:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It would be disgusting.

Skillshots are pretty fun in my opinion, especially against an opponent that moves well. It's a great feel when you land it, and it's a good game for me to play: "land the skillshot".

I do agree however that a Zed's Q makes it less noteworthy, for example, compared to a Fizz's R well landed leading to a 100-0. Compared to that, that Zed's Q coming every few seconds and costing nothing is a bit frustrating. But each skillshot is properly balanced around what they cost and what they can do, imo.

There are even people who go full AP Rek'sai, people like skillshots.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 12:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said:
I got to plat. I'm good at the game. I know how to design this game better then Rito, and they're going in the wrong direction more than our own country is. I have "facts" that prove that Rito is bad and skillshots are dumb. Have you ever tried landing a skillshot? ***is impossible. *** Rito.

All champions should just have an instakill on their Q that is onclick and easy, skill doesn't matter at all and if you can't accept that I guess you're just Bronze.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-29 12:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
There's barely any luck involved in hearthstone. Unless you mean opening legendaries from packs.
>opening legendaries
>luck
I'm talking about the h u g e random simulator that is Hearthstone. I don't even know how you can deny it, the cards literally say "deal 6 to 2800 damage, the number being randomly picked when played".

Magic has 0 random factor in most extensions, Hearthstone is literally random: the game.
Luckily you can still play decks that are 100% reliable and actually strong in the meta, but this doesn't remove what the game offers.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 12:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It sounds like I'm arguing with my overly Christian parents about evolution. Keep it coming I can do this all *** day buddy.
[+]
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 12:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

HAVE YOU READ THE BOOK OF GAME BALANCE? IT PROVES THAT SKILLSHOTS ARE JUST LUCK AND HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH PREDICTION AND PLAYER REACTION TIME ON BOTH THE RECIPIENT AND SENDER OF THE SKILLSHOT

REPENT OR DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE HEATHENS
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 13:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm talking about the h u g e random simulator that is Hearthstone. I don't even know how you can deny it, the cards literally say "deal 6 to 2800 damage, the number being randomly picked when played".

Magic has 0 random factor in most extensions, Hearthstone is literally random: the game.
Luckily you can still play decks that are 100% reliable and actually strong in the meta, but this doesn't remove what the game offers.

Wut, magic has more variance than hearthstone period. There's no equivalent in hearthstone for being mana short, flood or color scewed. You are guaranteed 1 mana stone every turn.

Oh how it feels to first turn sinkhole and thoughtseize someone
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 13:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lolserj said: »
HAVE YOU READ THE BOOK OF GAME BALANCE? IT PROVES THAT SKILLSHOTS ARE JUST LUCK AND HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH PREDICTION AND PLAYER REACTION TIME ON BOTH THE RECIPIENT AND SENDER OF THE SKILLSHOT

REPENT OR DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE HEATHENS
Straw manning my argument might make you feel better, but it won't make you right.

Pointing out a fallacy (I guess? I was mainly doing it to be funny but okay) might make you feel better, but it won't make you right.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 13:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

AH I finally understand Verda. He's one of those people that doesn't really care if something is imbalanced or not, it should remain in the game because riot introduced it that way. I see.

So changing the game is bad in any way.

You probably vote republican you scum.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-29 13:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Wut, magic has more variance than hearthstone period. There's no equivalent in hearthstone for being mana short, flood or color scewed. You are guaranteed 1 mana stone every turn.
You call this random?

Being mana screwed is mostly due to the person not making his/her deck properly.
When you play a monster card in Magic, it will say something clear, something reliable. In Hearthstone, you have cards like I've mentioned above, which doesn't exist in Magic.

Most of the decks used in tournaments follow a very reliable strategy, but the game still offers maaaaaaany cards that are completely random. And if you want to follow the "best" strategies, you have to go through some random cards. There is a reason why the game is very shallow in term of strategy and why zoo decks were allowed to exist. The mana regeneration is part of it but, it's also the reason why people play this game. Young teenagers of nowadays would never bother thinking mana/monster/utility ratios.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-01-29 13:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

dafuq am I reading!

so much salt! so much QQ
Tears!

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 13:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever since my first post on this page you have only devolved to slinging hate and insults without making any valid points. I already know I won, your behavior just serves to confirm it.

Give me a one sentence argument as to why your point is right instead of saying you have "facts" that prove skillshots are stupid and unreliable and bad for game balance

Stop acting like Evolution and Climate change deniers and actually provide evidence, or wipe that stupid ***eatting grin off of your face because the only confirmation you've had seems to be some sort of confirmation bias. You're basically saying "Skillshots are random thus they are unreliable thus they are bad for game design" maybe what you're equating that to is "RNG is random so it is bad for game design" but when you actually have the variables of movement prediction on the part of the player throwing the skill shot, and prediction of where the skillshot will be thrown on the part of the player dodging they are in fact not random.

Skillshots can miss. I will give you that, but that is what they do. They will either hit something and do something, or they will miss completely and probably do nothing at all.

If you can't handle the fact that there is more to do with this game than point and click abilities and point and click CC then you just have not a *** clue how game balance works.

You're saying Skillshot == RNG when it clearly does not you pompous ***.
First Page 2 3 ... 568 569 570 ... 577 578 579