I Don't Get It, Why Do People Feel The Need To Leave Their Parental Home...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » I don't get it, why do people feel the need to leave their parental home...
I don't get it, why do people feel the need to leave their parental home...
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Phoenix.Teguri
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Talran
By Phoenix.Teguri 2010-05-20 10:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I stayed till I was 21, less of an economic reason, (salaried position, ect.) but more of a lack of reason to move out... not so small of a house, and my dad was cool as long as I contributed a bit.

On the other hand if given the choice again, I would move out as soon as I could have. The freedom is amazing, and I don't have to worry about waking other people up with my loud *** music :3
 Shiva.Lorielain
Server: Shiva
user: Atrithk
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-05-20 10:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I left when I was 18 when I enlisted in the Navy, broke my ankle and was separated, they wouldn't let me stay so I went to my mom's for a bit...then left there, started a business.
It didn't go well, so I ended up back at my dad's, but he's 20 miles from any jorbs.
finally got myself into two of them, pretty much living paycheck to paycheck when my roomate doesn't pay his part...and I recently lost one because I had a panic attack and fled @.@;
I like to think I'm independent, but bad luck has *** with my life for the past ten years and it really looks like I'm going to end up going back. (21 in June)
As much as I dislike depending on anyone, I don't see any answers.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2010-05-20 10:15:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ill give ya one of the best reasons on this fourm not to leave home. Try being perminitly disabled.

Gotta job right outa highschool, my dad even offered/suggested that i take the summer off, even tho he wasnt in the greatest position to afford it. Simply because he never had that choice as a teen. Desided to hop right in and took the job. Two years later, through the blaintent stupidity and arrogence of the managment, and malpratic by the company doctor.. who i found out is not a real doctor at all, I suffered a massive back injury which has led me to become perminitly dissabled. Took several months of theropy to be able to walk right again. So dont assume everyone staying at home is jsut a 40yr lazy *** with no drive. (Oh and jsut to top that off, the injury that lead to me being disabled... occured 2 days before my 21st bday)

On the other hand it rly does depend on the person and how theyve grown up. My brother was rdy to live on his own, and did, when he was like 16. On the same token i no a girl who is like 25 or so who is about as ready as a 5 year old. So it rly does depend on how you were raised. Not only the parents effort but your own as well.
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
Server: Sylph
user: Katniss
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-05-20 10:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

lol i left home 2 weeks after i became 18. i moved 500km away and had to earn my own money while i was going to school :P
was a hard but also awesome time, learned a lot of stuff about life ;)
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2010-05-20 10:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously it depends on the household. Not everybody has a lovey,cushy, supportive environment. I do and I was told so long as I was fulltime in school they'd support me..which might've been a mistake because I think Ive held on waaay too long.

I couldnt afford to live on my own now and I dont want to live on my own here because Id prefer not to stay here forever. The goal is for me to get my RN degree next year and then I could live anywhere I wanted because Nurses are in demand everywhere. I do want the independence desperately though, after a while living at home no matter how wonderful it is starts to feel...crowded..

after highschool I was like "why would I want to leave and struggle over rent and annoying room mates?" but now its like "dang, I need to go"
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-05-20 10:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually moved in and out three times between 18 and 25. Not due to any big plans that fell through, but just because it logistically worked out that way. (Multi-year process involving college and dad moving to Hawaii while maintaining a house in California.)

I was amazed by how much living with parents rubbed me the wrong way once I had been out on my own for years. It seems to be that way for most people I talk to: if you've never had your own place for an extended period of time, and your situation doesn't abjectly suck, there's nothing compelling you to move out because you're comfortable. But once you have, moving back in becomes basically unbearable.

It's an identity thing. Once you're on your own, your identity no longer involves your parents or siblings as a primary presence. That changes more than you could imagine. Once you've made that break, just having people say you need to call and let them know where you are if you'll be out until 2am becomes amazingly... violating.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Ashren
Server: Carbuncle
user: ashren
By Carbuncle.Ashren 2010-05-20 10:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It is easy to leave home when you family is overbearing.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-20 10:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Snuffy said:
Gotta learn to fly baby bird.
This.

Also I mean cmon have you people seen Step brothers!?!
[+]
 Fairy.Maimed
Server: Fairy
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-05-20 11:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I actually moved in and out three times between 18 and 25. Not due to any big plans that fell through, but just because it logistically worked out that way. (Multi-year process involving college and dad moving to Hawaii while maintaining a house in California.)

I was amazed by how much living with parents rubbed me the wrong way once I had been out on my own for years. It seems to be that way for most people I talk to: if you've never had your own place for an extended period of time, and your situation doesn't abjectly suck, there's nothing compelling you to move out because you're comfortable. But once you have, moving back in becomes basically unbearable.

It's an identity thing. Once you're on your own, your identity no longer involves your parents or siblings as a primary presence. That changes more than you could imagine. Once you've made that break, just having people say you need to call and let them know where you are if you'll be out until 2am becomes amazingly... violating.

^ QFT

I just moved out for the third time this past weekend. My first time was when I went off to college. I moved back in shortly after dropping out and after a nasty break-up with a live-in girlfriend. You learn a lot about yourself when you live on your own. Don't let your pride get in the way however. Sometimes it is good to allow yourself to move back in, *** what you did on your own, including what you could have done differently.

I see each opportunity as valuable life experience. Also, let's not forget, western culture makes people feel like freaks if they don't move out right away at age 18... this is why some people almost feel pressured to leave the nest.
[+]
 Bismarck.Chasuro
Server: Bismarck
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2010-05-20 11:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
so early in their lives?

As a species we are used to staying near our family. We lived in communities, villages, where our elders were our parents and aunts/uncles and friends parents who taught us how to live and survive.

Nowadays, though, it is different. People are generally raised without adult supervision. People want to be independant and staying with family is looked upon as a weakness. Sadly, it isn't. It only makes you a stronger, better person.

We have seperated ourselves from those around us. Sure you visit with friends and family, but at the end of the day you close the door off to all of them. Fear is one of the things that has inspired this. We are taught to fear our neighbors and people we don't know. Another reason is laziness. We do not want to be responsible to them.

I prefer family, but maybe because I never really had one. I think it's a shame. I think children need more family values and to learn respect from their elders.

There is nothing wrong with staying with your family. There is, however, something wrong with judging and condemning someone based upon your own fears.
By MiavPigen 2010-05-20 12:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

WT# Raddy. you play D&D ?

ima need to buy a new set of dice then... o wonder if i can get pink/purple set...
 Ramuh.Aitana
user: Aitana
By Ramuh.Aitana 2010-05-20 12:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on the family situation. I personally get tired of living back in my home town over the summers running back and forth between my mom's house, dad's house, and grandmother's house to keep the family happy with me.

That's why I got a job this semester at school, got an apartment, and stayed here. I love my family and all... but dear God, there is no way I can handle another summer with them. To me, being independent = being happy. It's just my situation. It all really depends... For instance, my ex-girlfriend... well she had the most supportive and fun family I've ever seen... so she happily goes and visits during the summer and will stay there for weeks, despite having her own place 2 hours away.

Anyway, as for me... I was ready to get the hell out by 16.
 Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-20 12:32:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
so early in their lives?

You don't force independence like that, you should have learned independence by the time you reached your 18th birthday.

Living at one's parental home, even in one's twenties should by no means be an impediment to growth.

Of course, each person is different and it's up to each family to decide how to proceed in these matters.

I for one, have no desire to move out on my own yet. At my current state I get to study, work and contribute some to the household while at the same time I can put away savings for when I DO feel it's time to move on(A good job faraway, moving in/marrying, etc).

Right now though my home is my home. :)

Inb4 OP lives in mom's basement.

I moved out when I was 16. I came back at 18 lol. I really did like living alone, but it was very troublesome at some point I got really bad sick and had to come back home on a summer at 17. It wasnt a forced decision either, but it was the best choice it seemed at that time, since I started university at 16 aswell.

I think living with parents is good, but leeching off them is just sad.
 Diabolos.Delson
Server: Diabolos
user: Delson
By Diabolos.Delson 2010-05-20 12:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

i had to get out... it was soon after my 21st b-day. things were going fine... my job was cutting the lawn and paying for internet/cable... that i could handle till my parents dropped the bomb on me... they wanted me to pay $450 a month + internet/cable...

i moved out simply for that reason... cause i could find a place of my own for that price.
 Odin.Liela
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-05-20 12:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

My parents were very strict, and it was wonderful for me to move out. I would never have been able to survive on my own without the help of my husband, though, because I had been so sheltered I didn't know what to do. My folks had not let me watch TV, didn't let me watch movies rated above PG-13 (even in my high teens), I was only allowed to listen to Christian music and read Christian books (my parents were furious when the public school forced them to let me and my sister take biology classes that taught evolution as a theory. They demanded that we be in Christian biology that taught creation as fact.) We were not allowed to go to dances or go on dates. We were not allowed to wear makeup or cut our hair. My sister was kicked out of the house because she was so sick of having hot, heavy, waist-length dark brown hair in the middle of the summer, so she had a friend's mom who was a beautician cut her hair off to her shoulders. My parents kicked her out for it. True story.

I could never live with them again, and I doubt they would let me live with them again. Since moving out I have become agnostic instead of Christian, have gotten a tattoo, have developed a distinct enjoyment of whiskey and rum, and am no longer a virgin. (obviously, since I'm married. I would not doubt it if they expected me to be married for awhile and remain virginal, though.) So there's simply no way I'd be allowed back into their house, I am a heathen now.

I think it's healthy for kids to move out (eventually, when they feel ready, not at any set age) and become the leaders of their own lives. One of my aunts lived with her mother until the mother died, and the aunt to this day cannot make decisions for herself, doesn't know how to make or save money, and doesn't know what to do around other people. If she'd moved out when she was in her twenties or even thirties, instead of staying with her mother until she was 40-50's, she'd be a much more well-developed and capable person.
 Leviathan.Novax
Server: Leviathan
user: Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2010-05-20 12:40:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I was kicked out because i was a quite young man, who only cared for basketball at age 18 0days. Forced from home and family i had to survive in the wild streets of colorado......

But seriously when you're 18-20 some people kind of feel embarrassed when trying to meet girls or guys in some cases, while living w/ mom and dad.
 Phoenix.Lazuras
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2010-05-20 12:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Its cultural more than situational for a lot of people. Many cultures actually prefer to maintain long lineages within one household, encouraging the children to move in their spouses and children.

In the US and UK (and maybe a few more of the more developed EU countries), moving out at adulthood is a more common practice based on the socioeconomic structures of those countries. And its certainly easier to do so in places where there's more reliance on the credit-debit business model and more acceptance of the me-before-family independence ideologies.

But for the vast majority of the world's nations single lineage households are the norm more than the exception. Usually breaking out on one's own is prohibitively expensive and risky in areas where there's less economic freedom.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-20 13:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said:
My parents were very strict, and it was wonderful for me to move out. I would never have been able to survive on my own without the help of my husband, though, because I had been so sheltered I didn't know what to do. My folks had not let me watch TV, didn't let me watch movies rated above PG-13 (even in my high teens), I was only allowed to listen to Christian music and read Christian books (my parents were furious when the public school forced them to let me and my sister take biology classes that taught evolution as a theory. They demanded that we be in Christian biology that taught creation as fact.) We were not allowed to go to dances or go on dates. We were not allowed to wear makeup or cut our hair. My sister was kicked out of the house because she was so sick of having hot, heavy, waist-length dark brown hair in the middle of the summer, so she had a friend's mom who was a beautician cut her hair off to her shoulders. My parents kicked her out for it. True story.

I could never live with them again, and I doubt they would let me live with them again. Since moving out I have become agnostic instead of Christian, have gotten a tattoo, have developed a distinct enjoyment of whiskey and rum, and am no longer a virgin. (obviously, since I'm married. I would not doubt it if they expected me to be married for awhile and remain virginal, though.) So there's simply no way I'd be allowed back into their house, I am a heathen now.

I think it's healthy for kids to move out (eventually, when they feel ready, not at any set age) and become the leaders of their own lives. One of my aunts lived with her mother until the mother died, and the aunt to this day cannot make decisions for herself, doesn't know how to make or save money, and doesn't know what to do around other people. If she'd moved out when she was in her twenties or even thirties, instead of staying with her mother until she was 40-50's, she'd be a much more well-developed and capable person.

Good reason why I wouldn't keep a son in my house either, ofcourse that saying I am the complete oposite of that, it defyes the house rules, if you live with your parents, you are bound to follow the rules weather you like it or not, live alone and make your own way of living.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-20 13:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Lazuras said:
Its cultural more than situational for a lot of people. Many cultures actually prefer to maintain long lineages within one household, encouraging the children to move in their spouses and children.

In the US and UK (and maybe a few more of the more developed EU countries), moving out at adulthood is a more common practice based on the socioeconomic structures of those countries. And its certainly easier to do so in places where there's more reliance on the credit-debit business model and more acceptance of the me-before-family independence ideologies.

But for the vast majority of the world's nations single lineage households are the norm more than the exception. Usually breaking out on one's own is prohibitively expensive and risky in areas where there's less economic freedom.

^
 Odin.Liela
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-05-20 13:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Darki said:
Odin.Liela said:

Good reason why I wouldn't keep a son in my house either, ofcourse that saying I am the complete oposite of that, it defyes the house rules, if you live with your parents, you are bound to follow the rules weather you like it or not, live alone and make your own way of living.

I'm a daughter, not a son. But at any rate, I'm perfectly fine with not going back and they are perfectly fine with not having me, so it works out rather well. :-) That is one of the things I think is healthy, though, to be able to live on your own and determine which of your parents' rules you cannot abide by, because that helps you make you own family rules later, I think. For instance, I hated not being allowed to cut my own hair. So if I ever had a child, I would not impose a no-scissors rule on them. My biggest problem is that I am 24 and for some reason they still seem to think I should act like a 6-year old child. I will never understand parents, I don't think, until I am one. And hopefully that won't be for a long time, yet.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-05-20 13:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I moved out my mama house when I was 18, good riddance.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-20 13:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Because you don't want to end up like this

Carbuncle.Callicantzaros
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Callicantzaros 2010-05-20 13:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I Lived at home till I was 24 and the only reasoning that I stayed with My parents is because long before I was even old enough to have a DL it was suspended(LOL funny story but not really) So when I finally went and appealed the courts to get it back. Always hated having to live with my parents until I moved out and realized it not as easy as I once thought. I was never spoiled, the day i was old enough to work i got a job, If I wanted something I had to earn it. To this Day I hate even having to ask to barrow 5 bucks here and there for what ever reason. I keep telling My parents if stuff goes south im moving back in and I get the same reply "We changed the locks" and they did.

It seems a lot of people think that Moving out on there own or having a kid at young ages makes them more independent or an adult. And that is not always true.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-05-20 13:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Odin.Liela said:

I'm a daughter, not a son. But at any rate, I'm perfectly fine with not going back and they are perfectly fine with not having me, so it works out rather well. :-) That is one of the things I think is healthy, though, to be able to live on your own and determine which of your parents' rules you cannot abide by, because that helps you make you own family rules later, I think. For instance, I hated not being allowed to cut my own hair. So if I ever had a child, I would not impose a no-scissors rule on them. My biggest problem is that I am 24 and for some reason they still seem to think I should act like a 6-year old child. I will never understand parents, I don't think, until I am one. And hopefully that won't be for a long time, yet.

I think that's stupid, not opening the doors to your son/daughter again, that's like having no place to go at the end of the road, feels pretty empty, my mom always let me know I am free to come back to her anytime I was in trouble, surprisingly she did let me come back with her grandson, as long as I follow her rules and help we live happy, she truly is a great mother.

Yes some rules I disagree with her that she imposed while I was growing up, but she had her reasons which I understand now. I think whenever I need to impose those rules on my son I'll be more flexible.

But that's sad, that one day you really need to come back home and they don't welcome you even if you are willing to cooperate. tsk tsk.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-05-20 13:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I never felt the urge to move out of "mom and dad's" I was working and going to school just down the street from home so why move out..

The first time I moved was when I got married @21...My wife and I had to move back in with her parents for 6ish months while we looked for a new place to live. Being married and living with the in-laws is a weird but it didn't bother nearly as much as it bother'd my wife.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-05-20 13:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, I'm sure all of us (even you HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ***) can come to an agreement that due to the economy going in the shitter, that it would be a good idea to move into your parents' home (depending on the size of it) and share the household (bills, food, etc).
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-20 13:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
ok, I'm sure all of us (even you HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ***) can come to an agreement that due to the economy going in the shitter, that it would be a good idea to move into your parents' home (depending on the size of it) and share the household (bills, food, etc).
You could just get roomates that aren't related to you
 Gilgamesh.Astrida
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Astrida
By Gilgamesh.Astrida 2010-05-20 13:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Because after 18 youre an adult and shouldnt rely on your parents, if you were smart you wouldve gotten a job as soon as you turned 16 and saved up money. once you graduate high school thats pretty much when you should gtfo your parents home.