I Don't Get It, Why Do People Feel The Need To Leave Their Parental Home...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » I don't get it, why do people feel the need to leave their parental home...
I don't get it, why do people feel the need to leave their parental home...
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-05-20 06:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

so early in their lives?

You don't force independence like that, you should have learned independence by the time you reached your 18th birthday.

Living at one's parental home, even in one's twenties should by no means be an impediment to growth.

Of course, each person is different and it's up to each family to decide how to proceed in these matters.

I for one, have no desire to move out on my own yet. At my current state I get to study, work and contribute some to the household while at the same time I can put away savings for when I DO feel it's time to move on(A good job faraway, moving in/marrying, etc).

Right now though my home is my home. :)

Inb4 OP lives in mom's basement.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-05-20 06:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

op lives in mom's basement
[+]
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-20 07:04:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people feel it does impede their growth.

A lot of younger people want to go out more often or stay out later than their parents would allow.

Take me for example.

My parents are farmers therefore wake up around 3am. So most nights they are in bed by 8:30-9:00 pm. Which meant while I lived there I was unable to go out late for fear of waking. As I would want to return between 10-12pm (not what a lot of people would class as 'late') which for them was the middle of the night.

So when I moved out I was able to do more of the things I wanted to do.

(a slightly extreme example, but living with your parents can be restraining)

Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-05-20 07:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

More common in Sweden now that people live at home longer because apartments being expensive unless you live far from the city and a shortage of apartments.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-05-20 07:10:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you considered the parents in this? Maybe they want you to move out so they can do what they want without worrying about you!
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-20 07:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems natural to me. What I don't understand why so many people are starting to just stay with mom and dad until they are like 40 or some ***
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-05-20 07:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Learning independence and practicing independence are different things. Especially since you generally have the safety net of returning home should things get too hard.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-05-20 07:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Shayala said:
Have you considered the parents in this? Maybe they want you to move out so they can do what they want without worrying about you!

I think it's a cultural thing too.

In my case, I still have younger siblings so I don't have to worry about stepping on their privacy.

Also my parents aren't really shy. They can do what they want and they won't let me or any of my siblings stop them in that. That being said my parents are kind of traditional people, so they don't have lots of crazy things they're doing and don't want their children to see.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-20 07:16:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm 20 and I still live at home. Main reason for this is the fact that I don't personally feel ready to move out. I don't have the income or support to move out yet, and I don't have any financial backing.

I will move out once I feel ready, but until then I'm going to stay in my home. Like the OP I provide money to my household and do 50% of the chores.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-20 07:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

It was made clear in my house that by the time I graduated I either be paying 1/3 the bills or be on my way out. I took option 3 and joined the military. Which they were fine with just letting me mooch (still did most the chores other than cooking) until I shipped out until they found out the earliest I could was feb lol. So then they wanted me to do something with myself
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-05-20 07:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of people have shitty parents.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-20 07:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm 19 (will be 20 this year) and I still live at home. I won't lie - I've been spoiled for most of my life, so I'd be *** if I were just sent out on my own (like an apartment). I could live on campus, but I'd rather live at home. I could survive on campus, though.

I don't plan on staying past 21 though - I should be okay by then.
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-05-20 07:54:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Independence.

I hate depending on anyone other than myself for anything. I was out of my dad's house at 17 when I enlisted. I briefly stayed with him again for a few weeks after comm school and before I started my active duty orders.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-20 08:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Independence.

I hate depending on anyone other than myself for anything. I was out of my dad's house at 17 when I enlisted. I briefly stayed with him again for a few weeks after comm school and before I started my active duty orders.
This. Idk just bugs me whenever my parents bring up living with them again. Plus by now I got lots of stuff that needs room to put it in.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-20 08:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Well "living with them again" is different from never leaving in the first place. I have no idea how it feels to own a place of my own. Sure I have weekends to myself, but I know if I ever need anything, I can call someone.

In a way, ignorance is bliss for me. Not that I wouldn't like to live alone, I'm just fine how I am right now.
 Seraph.Pikachu
Server: Seraph
user: chuuuuu
By Seraph.Pikachu 2010-05-20 08:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

i didnt have to leave my parents house, hell they still tell me to go back lol xD thing is they baby me so much and i could stay there but then ill never do stuff on my own or be able to live without them lol so now im 21 living 2 states away. more of a "they are holding me back" feeling lol
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-20 08:13:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Same thing here. They want me to be independent, but they constantly spoil me. I know it'll kick my *** in the future, but it's awesome getting anything I want right now. :x
 Seraph.Pikachu
By Seraph.Pikachu 2010-05-20 08:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Same thing here. They want me to be independent, but they constantly spoil me. I know it'll kick my *** in the future, but it's awesome getting anything I want right now. :x
hey enjoy it now cuz once u leave you gotta do stuff for yourself and no one is gunna spoil you like they would xD
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-20 08:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

My dad will spoil me until the day he dies - I can tell you that right now, lol.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-20 08:17:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:

QFT lol

Not that I get 'Spoiled' per-say by my mum, but I don't have to spend that much, so all of my money goes on pleasure rather than bills etc.
 Seraph.Pikachu
By Seraph.Pikachu 2010-05-20 08:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
My dad will spoil me until the day he dies - I can tell you that right now, lol.
ah my mom does the same xD she would spoil me with food, snacks, random fresh from dryer blankets mmmmmm lol i miss my mommy :P
 Titan.Radatz
Server: Titan
user: Radatz
By Titan.Radatz 2010-05-20 08:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

as long as youre not 40 and still living in youre moms garage playing ff11 on a bean bag chair and living off ramen noodles and drinking from the garden hose i say cheers. just invite me over to play d&d on the weekends and make sure there are plenty of cheetos and mountain dew. the crunchy kind! the puffs are nasty.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-05-20 08:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

the economy is in the shitter, those of us who live in our parents' home contribute to the household with bills, food, and other stuff. In the end, you actually save more money.
 Cerberus.Belldandy
Server: Cerberus
user: Belldandy
By Cerberus.Belldandy 2010-05-20 09:12:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I moved to another state when I was 19, and didn't have my parents there to help me out anymore. If I didn't pay the electric bill, the lights went out. If I didn't pay the rent, I got kicked out. If I didn't buy groceries, I went hungry. So in a way it did force independence. Unlike my sister who knows my mother would never have the heart to force her out of her home.

I'm not judging those in their 20s who live with their parents though, especially if they are students. If it works for you, go for it.
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
Server: Cerberus
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2010-05-20 09:22:26
Link | Quote | Reply

If you get along with your parents, and the situation is working for you, then stay. Every situation is different. Like some people said, some people have shitty parents, or some just don't get along with theirs. I lived with my parents until I was well into my 20s, and was sad to move out, but figured I should do it sometime. I've thought about going back, because times are rough right now, but I'm working 2 jobs instead to pay for my apartment.
 Carbuncle.Mandze
Server: Carbuncle
user: Mandze
By Carbuncle.Mandze 2010-05-20 09:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

My mom listens to Rush Limbaugh every day and thinks that Fox News has journalistic integrity. I love the woman dearly, but I'd have wound up needing a lobotomy if I lived at home.
 Lakshmi.Snuffy
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Snuffy 2010-05-20 09:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta learn to fly baby bird.
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Server: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-05-20 09:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm only 18 but I plan to stay with my parents up until I'm ready to leave. And my parents have no problem with this at all. In fact just a week ago my brother moved back in with us after 9 years of being away.(Just got out of the Airforce). He's now 27.

I'm not going to rush myself out of their home, that's just asking to fail. When I feel I'm ready to live on my own, and have the founds to support myself then I will. That or I'll simple stay at home and pay rent. My parents own a large house(3 stories) so it's not like there is a space problem.

As for having chores, I never had had any. But I still clean up, cook, take care of our animals. I've never been asked to do any of this, I just simply do because it seems right.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
Server: Leviathan
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-20 10:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I left home as soon as i finished high school. I was already working full-time before then, making decent money. My little sister (half-sis) moved with me, and has been mooching off me every since. She's never had a job. Her boyfriend then later moved in with me when he got out of the military, who also proceeded to freeload. Just recently he did finally get a job and moved out on his own, though. The worst part is, I can't even work now. I'm disabled and they've been mooching off me lol. I have a very limited income and I'm in a not-so-desirable neighborhood. My dad wants us to move back in with him since we aren't exactly living a life of luxury, but I think it's a pride thing keeping me from doing so. I wish my sister would move back in with him though, she's used to that life. I went from a shitty existence in Vietnam to a posh life living with my somewhat wealthy father, then back to a shitty existence in America :P There are chickens on the street and guns in people's belts... Feels like I'm back in Vietnam! (Ok, the chicken part may have been a joke)
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5