Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2017-07-06 14:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
Sentinel 1800/0 with +100% Enmity gain,
I thought Sentinel was 50% enmity gain when /PLD?

Was speaking PLD main, RUN just needs to use Foil and problem solved. PLD's self target JA's are on long cooldowns so they need to carefully manage them to maximize their gains. This is why it's absolutely stupid to use Rampart before pulling, it generates exactly 0 enmity. The way Ambuscade hate works is that it starts tracking everyone in the zones enmity the moment the AI is activated not before. So run forward, activate the AI, then use self targeted hate tools to spike enmity on all targets in the zone. RUN having foil just makes this stupid easy because with haste and march's you can get ~15 second cool downs on a high hate spell.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-07-06 14:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup. Seen many "experienced PLDs" Rampart before pull AND then sentinel. Dunno guess a lot of them never had to try holding hate on Tiamat vs 6x BLMs Magic Bursting it in the Air off two Yoichi RNG or SAM/RNGs.
Its amazing what you learn when you're 1 second away from wiping.
RIP tanking.
 Leviathan.Sidra
Server: Leviathan
user: Sidra
By Leviathan.Sidra 2017-07-06 14:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
Ambu PLD hate helpers:

Cure cheat spam while the party is buffing.

Rampart before pulling. (hit all 6 party members)

Voke to Flash is less delay than Flash to Voke.

Sentinel use early and on CD, depending on fight needs.

If the add doesn't hit to hard, save abilities for the ones that do. (ex. build ample hate on the "boss" over keeping hate on a lesser add that will be dead fast and poses no real threat)

Keep your HP high don't drop from 4k to 2k to WS or swap in FC gear.

What horribly wrong awful advice....
By Blazed1979 2017-07-06 15:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Sidra said: »
What horribly wrong awful advice....
At face value I would agree, but seeing as it is Taint who said it - I pause as I know the man and he is anything but a bad player. One of the best I've seen in any job he plays. So going to pause any commentary.
[+]
 Sylph.Gobbo
Server: Sylph
user: Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2017-07-06 15:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Odaru said: »
Sub BLU on PLD, problem solved.
We've done a couple of variations of this setup. One being this with BLU/PLD tank, worked super well with their highly defensive spells and hate options. Another being BRD/PLD, having them run in and sleep everything and DDs just take them all out before they wake up. It worked well because the BRD was able to cover/sentinel too if something went bad like MNK Hundo-fisting.

Edit: Read this backwards, thought it said Sub PLD for BLU.
By Taint 2017-07-06 15:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I am bad and feel bad.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-07-06 15:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm probably missing something here, I just got back from work, (haven't tried new ambuscades) but why Cure cheat spam before pull, Taint?
Is it zone hate or am I missing something?
 Sylph.Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2017-07-06 15:12:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm probably missing something here, I just got back from work, (haven't tried new ambuscades) but why Cure cheat spam before pull, Taint?

Everyone has hate before pulling, it's a weird quirk of Ambuscade.
By tyalangan 2017-07-06 15:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
This is why it's absolutely stupid to use Rampart before pulling, it generates exactly 0 enmity. The way Ambuscade hate works is that it starts tracking everyone in the zones hate enmity the moment the AI is activated no before.

I have not tanked Ambuscade so I would not know but I think Saevel's statement above is the reason Sidra made the comment.
By Blazed1979 2017-07-06 15:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that's what I thought.
TAINT, bro are you drunk or what dude?
 Leviathan.Sidra
By Leviathan.Sidra 2017-07-06 15:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

In Ambuscade, Rampart before pull does jack squat. On the other hand, once the mobs are aggroed that same Rampart would generate enmity on all of them. Thus...Rampart before pull is pretty bad advice.

Once you flash a mob then all of the mobs in essence are aggroable. 1 tick of regen will pull all the ones you didn't flash to your healer. Sentinel/Rampart is a non/BLU Paladin's way to nab them all.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-06 15:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

`I never said Rampart before pull, I said at start. You can get initial hate and then pop Rampart/OFA for hate if needed, though Foil/ /blu hate tools tork just as fine.

In ambu as a tank, your job is to just control the crowd as quickly as possible, and then establish your hate on the group. I consistently have agro at the start of fights as DRK when a tank runs in and just vokes one monster. The other adds ignore the tank until he's built up a reasonable amount of party hate. Non-Tanks should sit in your defensive sets before pull just in case crowd control is not great at start.
By Blazed1979 2017-07-06 15:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Agreed. I know Taint fully understands the mechanics of tanking. BUT! Taint you are showing your old Dog tricks! Cure cheating has been dead for a while dude, its not worth it anymore.
For aoe tanking /blu blank gaze with sentinel and crusade up.
for single target "I'm going to afk after my initial pull" tanking - /DRK, Stun/tag it->sentinel->Rampart->Last Resort/cancel->Souleater/Cancel->Divine Emblem->Flash->Shield bash ->Going to see new Spiderman movie, brb.
 Leviathan.Sidra
By Leviathan.Sidra 2017-07-06 15:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I quoted Taint who most definitely said to Rampart before pulling.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-07-06 15:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Sidra said: »
In Ambuscade, Rampart before pull does jack squat. On the other hand, once the mobs are aggroed that same Rampart would generate enmity on all of them. Thus...Rampart before pull is pretty bad advice.

Yeah it's the "while the parties buffing" part, like standing there with the AI deactivated means 0 enmity for everyone reguardless of what they do. Run forward and once the first one moves, meaning it's AI script has just turned on, then Sentinal which is it's own hate spike and soon afterward hit rampart, when you can get the most people, since their on the hate list too.
By Blazed1979 2017-07-06 15:25:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Sentinal which is it's own hate spike
and many people don't know this and pre-sentinel before having any hate, losing a lot of potential CE/VE
By Taint 2017-07-06 15:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I was wrong....I still tank the ***out of ambu :p

Grabbing another beer
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-07-06 15:33:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Gobbo said: »

Everyone has hate before pulling, it's a weird quirk of Ambuscade.
It's not full hate list though. So yeah once they become aggressive they can no go after everyone and any action will produce hate while the mobs are not aggressive jack happens. That's why you can spam the heck out of stuff pre aggro and mobs can still beeline to the mule that hasn't done a thing yet. It's really noticeable on the ones where some mobs aggro individually and you'll see how hate will yoyo between different pulls based on exactly when you did stuff
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2017-07-06 16:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Leg Sweep lands easily on all Fomors even on VD, duration hovers between 10-16 seconds and if timed right you'll prevent SPs from going off - preventing Invincible or locking down the Excalibur is awesome. Use Stardiver between uses to actually kill the Fomors.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-06 16:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you suggesting people should actually bring DRGs to this????
*Shines up his Trishula*
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2017-07-06 16:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ruaumoko said: »
Leg Sweep lands easily on all Fomors even on VD

I've been curious about this for a bit now, is Leg Sweep in particular really good or are all the stun inflicting WS more effective now?
By Blazed1979 2017-07-06 16:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what else lands? Anvil Lightning.. It also does a button of DMG and best of all, Occultation with capped blu magic skill and barrier tusk + cocoon + saline coat means you wont eat dirt when they attack you.

Level BLU, there's no need for any other job in the game.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-07-06 16:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Nerf Leg Sweep. I once witnessed a DRG take down Schah in 20 seconds using it!
By Blazed1979 2017-07-06 16:27:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The above comments come with a tad bit of trolololololing.
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-07-06 16:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The above comments come with a tad bit of trolololololing.

Just a tad.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-06 16:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Nerf SMN. #MakeFrodSuckAgain
[+]
 Sylph.Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2017-07-06 16:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what else lands? Anvil Lightning.. It also does a button of DMG and best of all, Occultation with capped blu magic skill and barrier tusk + cocoon + saline coat means you wont eat dirt when they attack you.

Level BLU, there's no need for any other job in the game.

We use Temporal Shift so we don't actually wake adds up since once they wake up, they won't go back to sleep. Also a great hate tool.
By clearlyamule 2017-07-06 17:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »

I've been curious about this for a bit now, is Leg Sweep in particular really good or are all the stun inflicting WS more effective now?
Has an unusually long duration and seems to land fairly well
By Ruaumoko 2017-07-06 19:31:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »

DRG is on the Flamma set which has a massive amount of Accuracy AND Magic Accuracy on it. Leg Sweep's duration also scales with TP so using Trishula and Moonshade you're, on average, getting an effect of at least 2000%+ potency.

I'm in the middle of narrating another job guide but if I do some more Vol.1 VD tomorrow I'll see if I can record this and put it up.
[+]