What Makes A {Veteran} Vs {Amateur} Player?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » What makes a {Veteran} vs {Amateur} player?
What makes a {Veteran} vs {Amateur} player?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Bismarck.Funstealer
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Funstealer 2017-01-24 08:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

what do u call it when u used to know everything 3 years ago then came back to the game recently and know jack ***about the content now a days
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-24 08:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Funstealer said: »
what do u call it when u used to know everything 3 years ago then came back to the game recently and know jack ***about the content now a days

Do you know game mechanics? If you do then you can easily get caught up on current stuff because the foundation is already there.

Otherwise your were in the amateur category to begin with and just were lucky enough to know some veterans who did the hard part for you.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-01-24 09:08:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Meh, its even simpler than that. Just plug in your information on this Store TP Calculator and you literally have your value.

It could be off because it hasn't been updated since 2012, but it certainly gives a great ballpark which has worked for me.

No, just use the damn formula on Wiki and your calculator application on your PC. Using an outdated incorrect online calculator because your too lazy to do it yourself is the very definition of "amateur". I just outlined how easy it was to figure out, find your weapon of choice on the wiki, and it's base TP value should be listed (most are already updated). If it's not then use the formula on the wiki for the delay to find it's base value. Then just run the numbers real quick to determine your needed Store TP and go from there.

This ***is on a "I'm too lazy to mess with macros their just too complicated and I don't need them, I'm good enough as is".

So far as I can tell there has been no updated calculator since the last round of changes, which were pretty damn significant.

You're right, I shouldn't be advocating and recommended outdated information. Thanks for pointing us to the right source.

I have since downloaded FFXI Calculator Tool, as I didn't know it existed.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-01-24 09:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Meh, its even simpler than that. Just plug in your information on this Store TP Calculator and you literally have your value.
OMG who's this Robert Heck? I love that! Are there other calculators on his site?

I always used to do the TP calculation on my own using the wiki formulas but that's so boring! I love this! :D

Don't use this one I mentioned. Its outdated and may be off a point or two. Use the method above.
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-01-24 09:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

ffxi calc is running like 24/7 on my comp lol.... I use it for a ton of stuff, its very handy and a must along with windower in my book.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2017-01-24 09:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXICalc is good, and up to date, the last I saw. Has stuff for Store TP, Dual Wield, and Ranged Attacks
 Bismarck.Firedemon
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2017-01-24 09:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Phaded said: »
Casual player = player that has been playing for a significant amount of time but for whatever reason decides to stay on the amateur side of the player equation. Tends to pull the "RL/This isn't a job" card whenever they are called out for not being able to do the bare minimum.

I disagree with this comment 100%. Over the years my playtime has dwindled down due to RL. Do I still strive for the best gear? Yes. Do I play my jobs well above a lot of people? Yes. I don't ever do the bare minimum and I'm a pretty casual player. Sure it takes me a bit longer to get gear VS the hardcores, but an amateur player is probably the last thing you could call me.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2017-01-24 09:46:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, important that to notice that there is more between an "amateur" and a "veteran".
 Odin.Taffy
Server: Odin
user: Taffy
By Odin.Taffy 2017-01-24 09:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Veteran player = Fought in the Crystal war. Generally very poor. Often seen sitting in town just hoping someone invites them in their mog house and offers them some sublime sushi. Generally always willing to help the less fortunate and always the last to lot items.

Amateur player = Omg I got all my crafts maxed now I should start gearing a job.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Afania 2017-01-24 11:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I could care less if someone has a youtube channel, there are plenty of videos showing nothing but players revisiting FFXI after quitting X amount of years/months. There's only a very small handful of players creating strat videos. Same goes for forum posts, there are plenty of players with over 10k posts, does that mean they are top tier players?

Parses also mean absolutely nothing to me as there are many factors as to why X player performed better than Y or Z player assuming all had equal skill and gear.

Afania said: »
I don't see how player reputation has anything to do with awareness/reaction speed/knowledge either

Player reputation is directly tied into how well your perform in whatever said content a player decided to participate in. WS slowly, die repeatedly as a tank, fail to keep buffs/debuffs on, all these things directly affect how others see your skill. Do any of these things poorly and you suddenly have a ***player rep. I don't remember seeing any shouts for ***players, ever.

I'm not from Ragnarok and I've never had the pleasure of playing with you, but given the comments from various other players on this forum I can easily come to the conclusion that your rep is being one of the few non-***casual/vanilla players. (I wouldn't even label you as casual.) If I was shouting for something, I'd take you over a ***gearswap ffxiah copy-pasta dps. Why? Based on player rep.

Player rep is 100% based on talk from other players, which is 100% based on player performance.

And this is exactly what I meant by player rep has nothing to do with performance or whatsoever. You have no idea how many times I die on tank, lose hate, not curing fast enough, forgot erase, na, haste, refresh in Vagary that even my friends made fun of me for "being a casual" In terms of performance I'm probably about the same as everyone else. And yet for some reason I have some kind of rep that allows me to get invite to many high end ls or groups on Ragnarok just because I post a lot.....
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-01-24 11:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Amateurs giggle at their time played. Veterans avoid that button like the plague.
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-01-24 11:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Veterans set their alarm clocks for 4:00AM Tiamat windows during the HNM era.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-24 11:51:00
Link | Quote | Reply

And I found a problem with the FFXICalc program, it assumes your WSing and TPing in the same gear and thus have the same TP return. That and I now know why people erroneously call a 5-hit a "4-hit" set.
 Lakshmi.Konvict
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2017-01-24 11:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
Veterans set their alarm clocks for 4:00AM Tiamat windows during the HNM era.
Cerb too just to farm your ls leader mats. And every hour not just 4 am. T.T
By Calinar 2017-01-24 11:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
And I found a problem with the FFXICalc program, it assumes your WSing and TPing in the same gear and thus have the same TP return. That and I now know why people erroneously call a 5-hit a "4-hit" set.

It's not really something you "found". You set the ws box to custom TP (amount of tp from using ws).

And it's not why people use 4 hit vs 5 hit, it's a semantics argument. Does a ws count as a hit? Who's to say, we just all agree that it does, but it's not a standard, just an agreement. (resolution is obviously not a one-hit ws, so you're obviously using an 8 hit set up, right?)

"3 hits + ws tp" = 3 hit to some, 4 hit to some, not erroneous, just opinion.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-24 12:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Calinar said: »
but it's not a standard,

Yes it is. The very people who started this whole x-hit concept used the WS as your first hit precisely because that WS was a one-hit and used different Store TP then the TP build. Then other people started doing it and somehow they started magically subtracting a hit and now it's confusing when doing the path cause you got idiots saying "my 3-hit lol".

Calinar said: »
You set the ws box to custom TP (amount of tp from using ws).

The person is using it because they don't know how to do their own Store TP.

Quote:
Even as a player for entire NA release, I still can't tell you if 2 random weaponskills will skillchain without *** using ffxicalc.

And that tells me all I need to know.
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2017-01-24 12:37:04
Link | Quote | Reply

If you think that the difference between an amateur and a veteran player is someone who can tell you that 2 random weapon skills can skillchain together you need to get a grip on things. That doesn't mean a damn thing.
[+]
 Asura.Ivlilla
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2017-01-24 12:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
/yell {Normal} Chpt 2 Body {Do you need it?} (5+ 119 RMEA only) 1/6

I have literally been turned down, on DNC, for Ch1-5 fights, on difficulties that I can solo, because I was not BLU. I'm just bored as hell and want to help someone get geared, but no, I'm obviously an idiot for afterglowing a Terpsichore instead of a Tizona.

For my 2 gil, a difference between being a veteran and not is knowing what a job is capable of, what jobs are capable of filling what roles, and knowing there's a time and a place where you don't have to take the "perfect" set up.

Where was I before this became a BLU rant?

Oh, right. A veteran knows what a job's capable of, and knows what roles it can fill, and in what circumstances. I was pretty shocked during a Tojil run when the LS I was with at the time didn't understand how I was doing so much healing after the WHM died; they had no idea what Trance was. I, similarly, am ignorant about a lot about a lot of jobs, because I don't play them, but I do have a good idea of what they're capable of, especially when geared properly. I'll take a RDM to nuke on a CP party, even though it's not "the right job" to take. There's a difference between not knowing all the level 50/+ names of JAs for a job I don't play, and a difference between not even knowing DNC can heal.

Raaant.
[+]
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2017-01-24 12:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, and mechanics. I have explained Dual Wield to so many people in the last month that I'm tempted to write up a pastebin to explain, in the simplest possible terms, why you don't need 60% Dual Wield when you have capped gear haste and Haste II on, and why you certainly don't want any Dual Wield gear on when you're at capped gear haste, magic haste, and have a DNC doing a merited Haste Samba.

It's insanely frustrating when people ask for help, particularly with mechanics, and then just don't *** listen, despite them coming to you specifically because you seem to be better at something than they are, because it doesn't line up with what they expect or want to think.

Particularly when there's resources readily available where you can go read, in depth, about a mechanic, resources they're aware of, but can't be bothered to even scan.
[+]
 Bismarck.Phaded
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2017-01-24 13:09:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The vast majority of players here seriously do not understand the words they use to classify themselves as a player. Just because you have limited time does not automatically put you into the casual player category.

Do you buy Nintendo products? Do you use Wii fit? Do you play party games and apps? Are your gaming interests satisfied thru games that are over in 5 min? Then yes, you are in casual player territory.

Do you have limited time to play an MMO? Sorry, but you are just a player with limited time. There's nothing casual about you, in fact, you are just the average player (everyone has RL/limited time/kids/school/wives/etc).
[+]
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-01-24 13:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ivlilla said: »
It's insanely frustrating when people ask for help, particularly with mechanics, and then just don't *** listen, despite them coming to you specifically because you seem to be better at something than they are, because it doesn't line up with what they expect or want to think.

Particularly when there's resources readily available where you can go read, in depth, about a mechanic, resources they're aware of, but can't be bothered to even scan.

Yes, my personal favorite is when people will ask you something like "So what did you think of my (job)? Anything you notice that I can improve?"

Then they'll go full defensive and fight you point-by-point on every suggestion you offer to make, no matter how sound the reasoning behind it was.

It's FFXI's version of "does this dress make me look fat?".
[+]
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2017-01-24 14:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arislan said: »
Asura.Ivlilla said: »

Yes, my personal favorite is when people will ask you something like "So what did you think of my (job)? Anything you notice that I can improve?"

Then they'll go full defensive and fight you point-by-point on every suggestion you offer to make, no matter how sound the reasoning behind it was.

It's really bad when you are not only right, but you can prove you're right, and you have both the math and the in-game proof to back you up, yet you obviously must be mistaken.

It feels like the more we try to define 'veteran' the more we're just describing 'mentally and emotionally mature person who plays this game and is capable of logic and reason'.

Being able to accept you're wrong and take correction are important.
[+]
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2017-01-24 14:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The word veteran just needs to stop being used quite honestly. Only reason anyone has ever used it in a shout is just because SE decided to add it to the auto translate dictionary.

The current dedication spectrum breaks down as follows:

N00b - Novice player

Casual - plays casual games, games less frequently than other gamers. Ex: The Sims and Nintendogs

Core - Has a wide range of gaming interests and is more likely to play different types of games

Hardcore - strives for competition, complexity, and establishing gaming communities

Of those four categories the "Core" player further breaks down into two categories. Core and Mid-Core. The mid-core gamer enjoys games but may not finish every game they buy, doesn't have time for long MMO quests and is a target consumer for Sony/Microsoft.

The vast majority of you, are either Core or Mid-core, knock it off with the "I'm a casual gamer" excuse, no ones ever bought it.
 Fenrir.Kemigumi
Server: Fenrir
user: Kemigumi
By Fenrir.Kemigumi 2017-01-24 14:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

mid-core? lol ok
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2017-01-24 14:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kemigumi said: »
mid-core? lol ok
Yes mid-core, there's also Troll Gamer, Girl Gamer, Gaymer, Retro-gamer and Pro-Gamer. I'm not arbitrarily pulling words out of my ***, and while there is no general consensus on these definitions the attempts to formalize them are still there. When introducing the Wii-U Nintendo themselves even used the word Core Gamer. All categories can be further broken down into taxonomies: Achievers, Explorers, Socializers and Killers.

The majority of you are NOT casuals, sorry. Just either lazy or full of excuses.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-01-24 14:23:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a simple solution as to what is the difference between veterans and amateurs.
 Odin.Taffy
Server: Odin
user: Taffy
By Odin.Taffy 2017-01-24 14:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arislan said: »

This comment wins the internet today. I actually Lol'd in work. Co workers looking at me funny right now.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-01-24 14:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kemigumi said: »
mid-core? lol ok
Yes mid-core, there's also Troll Gamer, Girl Gamer, Gaymer, Retro-gamer and Pro-Gamer. I'm not arbitrarily pulling words out of my ***, and while there is no general consensus on these definitions the attempts to formalize them are still there. When introducing the Wii-U Nintendo themselves even used the word Core Gamer. All categories can be further broken down into taxonomies: Achievers, Explorers, Socializers and Killers.

The majority of you are NOT casuals, sorry. Just either lazy or full of excuses.

Oh here we go. You just lured Saevel into this conversation.
[+]
 Asura.Ivlilla
By Asura.Ivlilla 2017-01-24 14:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If only there were some way to tell/find out if someone is a good player that didn't involve social interaction in the form of friends or a linkshell.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7