Why Are You Playing FFXI Still?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Why are you playing FFXI still?
Why are you playing FFXI still?
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-12-06 17:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't turn this into something shitty.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-12-06 17:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »
I worked out how to abuse Overdrive to make the Automaton into a death machine, and it worked.
Did you seriously just claim hitting your 2 hour as a strategy you made up?

No, I said abusing Overdrive. It isn't a straightforward SP ability and ideally you shouldn't be using it without setting up your Automaton specifically for it.
And what do you do so differently that you wouldn't use without overdrive?

It's more about what you remove.

For ordinary DDing, you would typically use both TC1+2 with wind+light, with OD the wind maneuver does literally nothing if you don't need accuracy from scopes or the delay reduction from Drum Magazine, so you drop it. If you are abusing Bone Crusher with Inhibitor 1+2, you aren't going to achieve WS significantly faster, so I usually drop Inhibitor 1. Because Overdrive boosts the ***out of your defensive stats, I usually abandon all my defensive attachments with the exception of AP4, although if the majority of damage dealt is from magic I won't bother with it either.

As for what I add, Target Marker on very high level content(SS only, T-maneuvers *** up VE). Attuner is the biggest thing. It's pretty weak outside of OD because of how much you have to sacrifice to make it worthwhile. It does have some niche applications though. Drum Magazine is only useful when using OD and you specifically need piercing/ranged damage(Muyingwa is what I first started doing this). Speedloader II gets used when the target is susceptible to skillchain damage, but only Speedloader II because it can hit the SC damage+ cap by itself with OD.

If the target is evasive enough to justify using a Thunder maneuver, I go ahead and throw Coiler 1+2 on. I prefer to not use Thunder Maneuvers at all when I can help it, so typically I won't bother with Coilers because their passive effects are too weak to justify their slots.

Unlike other SP abilities, you pretty much only want one PUP using OD at a time. Because of how the AI works, you get diminishing returns the more PUPs you add during OD, or really any DD screws up the Auto's WS logic when Inhibitor is on.

When I DO use OD for tanking, it allows me to make use of the Resister attachments, when I will almost never equip outside of OD. Their passive effects are incredibly weak and it's hard to justify the slots over other, more useful attachments. That changes with Overdrive. With Overdrive you can pump your Auto's resistance rate all the way up to 95-99%(Don't recall the hard cap off the top of my head).
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-12-06 17:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

So you don't do anything other PUPs didn't already do, okay.
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-06 17:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

sentran said: »
My wife and I can play together even when I'm deployed to another country. Still love the game.
I thank you for your service and that's cool.
[+]
 Siren.Demetreos
Server: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2016-12-06 17:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Stockholm Syndrome.

Meh, I still enjoy it.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-06 17:24:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
Don't turn this into something shitty.
I read what the person said before you did this. Thank you for that :)
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-12-06 17:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't make this thread into attacks on others.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-06 17:32:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy crap, the taru has spoken!
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-06 17:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
Don't make this thread into attacks on others.
Thank you for fixing that :) this thread was made for reflection.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-12-06 17:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

So you don't do anything other PUPs didn't already do, okay.

There were almost certainly other people doing these things, but I personally never saw anyone using them.

If everyone was doing it, no one was talking about it.
By Queensryche 2016-12-06 17:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I was introduced to this game at the right time of my life. I was battling drug addiction. So a very good friend got me into this while trying to recover. 12 years later, and still clean. And still play. Very casually that is ;)
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2016-12-06 17:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

probably because only like 5 people play PUP
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-12-06 17:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

probably because only like 5 people play PUP

It certainly wasn't popular when I started playing it. And that was the problem with getting information about the job.
[+]
 Phoenix.Morier
Server: Phoenix
user: Morier
By Phoenix.Morier 2016-12-06 18:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Because I still love it.
[+]
 Asura.Taruranto
user: Tarlant
By Asura.Taruranto 2016-12-06 19:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, but I know I spend more than with this than I'd like to. :X
 Sylph.Jarvick
user: Krichtan
By Sylph.Jarvick 2016-12-07 08:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I've played this game for a long time as well. Still play today because I have not been able to find another game that gives the same satisfaction this one does. I have tried WOW, Guild Wars and FFXIV and I always came back. Currently it's a great way to unwind after a long day at work and my pop plays so it's nice to get a chance to talk to him while we play.

Plus it's cheap!
 Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget 2016-12-07 08:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

To kill time before Half Life 3 comes out.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-07 09:14:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Queensryche said: »
I was introduced to this game at the right time of my life. I was battling drug addiction. So a very good friend got me into this while trying to recover. 12 years later, and still clean. And still play. Very casually that is ;)
I was in a very similar boat as you. And same amount of years too such a small world!
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-07 09:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Jarvick said: »
I've played this game for a long time as well. Still play today because I have not been able to find another game that gives the same satisfaction this one does. I have tried WOW, Guild Wars and FFXIV and I always came back. Currently it's a great way to unwind after a long day at work and my pop plays so it's nice to get a chance to talk to him while we play.

Plus it's cheap!

Yeah same experience with those games.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2016-12-07 09:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Inspectorgadget said: »
To kill time before Half Life 3 comes out.
You're in for the long haul, huh?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Littleanimal
Server: Ragnarok
user: Beanie
By Ragnarok.Littleanimal 2016-12-07 09:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Calinari said: »
Oh this thread again!

I would say I play strictly to make others jealous, but I'm not allowed to say that U_U;;

The new goal is breaking even. Making the money back I've spent on sub~

Hey thanks for reminding me about the block function on this site, haven't had to use it in awhile.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2016-12-07 09:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2016-12-07 12:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Started playing when I was like 15 in high school. Used to pull all nighters and go to school the next day with ffxi hangover. I loved other hobbies but ffxi was the only thing where the personal accomplishment grew to a satisfying level. My brother and I were too poor to but two accounts and we only had one computer. So we used to play on my brothers account and I would watch him play, and when he logged off I'd level his mule and play I my own. I'm now a grown *** man, married, father, homeowner, and full time worker with a ton of other things going on in life, but I still find myself playing with my brother (we have separate accounts now lol) a good bit because the personal achievement climb is still add fun as it ever was.

I also remember what it was to be a complete noob and I'll never forget my first noob moment. Valkurm dunes party, someone says "pull please". My brother looked at me and said "what's pull?" We stood there for like two minutes because we were trying to figure out what pull meant. It's moments like those that keep me feeling like a kid again, and I try to help people in the game because I know how it felt to be completely lost. Again, another satisfying feeling helping others.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-07 12:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Started playing when I was like 15 in high school. Used to pull all nighters and go to school the next day with ffxi hangover. I loved other hobbies but ffxi was the only thing where the personal accomplishment grew to a satisfying level. My brother and I were too poor to but two accounts and we only had one computer. So we used to play on my brothers account and I would watch him play, and when he logged off I'd level his mule and play I my own. I'm now a grown *** man, married, father, homeowner, and full time worker with a ton of other things going on in life, but I still find myself playing with my brother (we have separate accounts now lol) a good bit because the personal achievement climb is still add fun as it ever was.

I also remember what it was to be a complete noob and I'll never forget my first noob moment. Valkurm dunes party, someone says "pull please". My brother looked at me and said "what's pull?" We stood there for like two minutes because we were trying to figure out what pull meant. It's moments like those that keep me feeling like a kid again, and I try to help people in the game because I know how it felt to be completely lost. Again, another satisfying feeling helping others.

Really good memory! Most of the time I'm a blunt *** but when I see someone struggling I always help. Hell I think I've paid for like 3 or 4 people Dring farming lol. NQ and HQ even with my mains holding. I help people with LBss because they are annoying as hell lol
 Cerberus.Drayco
Server: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2016-12-07 12:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I like how laid back this game is. I can actually eat dinner and play this game at the same time.
I LOVE the mechanics of this game over the "simon says" mechanics of every new MMO.

I still play this game for these reasons, but some of the magic has been lost. Milestones no longer have the same feel of accomplishment they used too. When I finished my Apocalypse back in 2008 or 2009, I all but did back flips. I was so happy for days after that, in and out of game.
I just AG'd Ragnarok few weeks ago... I feel nothing.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2016-12-07 12:55:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Drayco said: »
I like how laid back this game is. I can actually eat dinner and play this game at the same time.
I LOVE the mechanics of this game over the "simon says" mechanics of every new MMO.

I still play this game for these reasons, but some of the magic has been lost. Milestones no longer have the same feel of accomplishment they used too. When I finished my Apocalypse back in 2008 or 2009, I all but did back flips. I was so happy for days after that, in and out of game.

I feel the same a little. Just keep AGing my weapons hehe
 Asura.Evildemon
By Asura.Evildemon 2016-12-07 13:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Drakenv said: »

I feel the same a little. Just keep AGing my weapons hehe

I'm still playing for the lawls of making all the relics!
 Asura.Taruranto
user: Tarlant
By Asura.Taruranto 2016-12-07 13:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, despite the obvious imbalance issues (But I would they really can't be helped) I love how playing FFXI feels like playing an actual RPG, with enemies even having actual jobs and an MP pool and stuff like that (Admittedly, a lot of this stuff it's no longer as relevant as it was in 2006 or so)

FFXIV most enemies are just exp bags and bosses are like you said a "simon says" game.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2016-12-07 14:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Because I am addicted to it, simple as that.

I have grown to not be excited for any game. Nothing makes me say "I gotta play this!" any more, no matter the amount of hype.

For me, FFXI is like one of the last few remnants, as in still being developed, of the golden age of gaming when games used to feel complete in one package.

I choose to hold on to the one game that has yet to disappoint me in any aspect. Music, character versatility, content diversity, story, ... You name it. It covers all my gaming needs (except mobile obviously) as a game which aged beautifully both in terms of aesthetics and gameplay.

tl;dr: I love this old game and I have my reasons.