Random Arguments & Strawmen #15

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
First Page 2 3 ... 40 41 42 ... 46 47 48
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-08 12:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Ramyrez said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
well don't let that stop you from posting about it.... >.>

When has anyone here ever?!

Now, I may be an overachiever, but I strictly adhere to my own personal rule that I must actually have a clue about at least 10% of the things I talk about in here.
You elitist!

I'm pretty sure nobody else talks about things they have even a clue about 2% of the subject here!

....except me, cause I'm awesome like that.
By Ramyrez 2016-12-08 13:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

When has anyone here ever?!

Now, I may be an overachiever, but I strictly adhere to my own personal rule that I must actually have a clue about at least 10% of the things I talk about in here.
You elitist!

I'm pretty sure nobody else talks about things they have even a clue about 2% of the subject here!

....except me, cause I'm awesome like that.

10% sounds about right.
By Ramyrez 2016-12-08 13:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

For me*
By eliroo 2016-12-08 13:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »
Clearly, though, my knowledge on the subject is limited

However, we're veering wildly off the topic/point which was that minimum wage was never designed to be the wage for a single income earner to support a family of four... it's economic suicide to try to make that happen.

Well when I am wrong, I will simply learn!

I also agree with that, but about single income for one person shouldn't that at least provide them with food and shelter?
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-12-08 14:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

.... Maybe putting tax money into infrastructure and hiring the less fortunate to those jobs while providing them temporary lodging and food.
Look up the history of the WPA.

Quote:
Also didn't our tax money end up paying for Wall Streets poor planning?...
I am positive that wall street thinks they planed that one out just fine.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-12-08 14:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Clearly, though, my knowledge on the subject is limited

However, we're veering wildly off the topic/point which was that minimum wage was never designed to be the wage for a single income earner to support a family of four... it's economic suicide to try to make that happen.
The problem is that it won't support a single person either.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-12-08 14:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
What are we talking about today fam?

Trumps new favorability numbers? His EPA pick? Or the Obama goodbye tour?
None of the above.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-08 14:56:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
What are we talking about today fam?

Trumps new favorability numbers? His EPA pick? Or the Obama goodbye tour?
None of the above.

Eh, I'll bite. Let's see what the favorability numbers are at now...

Oh wait, this just in, the media has now confirmed that 50% of Americans are racists.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-08 14:57:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll bite
More like "I'll throw the bait".
[+]
By eliroo 2016-12-08 15:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I'll bite
More like "I'll throw the bait".

By eliroo 2016-12-08 15:10:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Look up the history of the WPA.

Quote:
It was liquidated on June 30, 1943, as a result of low unemployment due to the worker shortage of World War II. The WPA had provided millions of Americans with jobs for eight years.

It seemed like it was really effective.
 Phoenix.Xantavia
Server: Phoenix
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2016-12-08 15:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

3) The general public - At the end of the day, these decisions were made by people who had to have known that they couldn't reasonably afford the mortgage payments. Nobody held a gun to these people's heads and forced them to make these loans. The bad decisions started with these people, and it's these people who were bailed out.
You need a sub-section here of 3A. Point a finger (not necessarily blame) at TLC and whatever channels were airing houseflipping shows non-stop and convincing people it was a really easy way to make some money. Just fooling a bunch of gullible people into thinking a reality show narrative was actually reality.
By eliroo 2016-12-08 16:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
That would be the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act (GLBA). Read up on it and then ask yourself if the: "Clinton repealed Glass Steagle 'narrative' is entirely accurate?".

I spent a good chunk of my afternoon reading through various articles about GLBA and Glass-Steagall. Most articles don't have conclusive reasons as to why GLBA would have caused the financial crisis but another act came up called CFMA of 2000 which is more closely attributed to the fall.

Very interesting stuff and though I don't grasp all of it, I at least have a better understanding.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-12-08 16:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

And please remember that while Clinton signed those measures into law, they passed the house and senate with broad bipartisan support after massive lobbying campaigns.

Beware of broad bipartisan support.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-12-08 17:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

And please remember that while Clinton signed those measures into law, they passed the house and senate with broad bipartisan support after massive lobbying campaigns.

So very true.

NAFTA is another one that we often hear the sound bytes being solely attributed to Clinton. When in reality all he did was sign the bill after it passed both the House and Senate with bi-partisan support. Also we seem to conveniently forget, (or simply have no desire for historical accuracy), that Presidents and Prime Minister: George H.W. Bush, Carlos Salinas de Gortari and Brian Mulroney spearheaded the agreement.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-08 17:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think anyone will argue against that.

Who said that this was a democrat or Republican-only issue?
By Yatenkou 2016-12-08 19:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Election update:

Michigan is 100% done
Wisconsin is nearing completion of their recount, with Trump's lead pulling ahead.
Pennsylvania hearing scheduled for tomorrow.
Florida attempting to do a recount to Trump's 112,000 vote win by 3 'concerned citizens' but more than likely the court won't hear their argument before the deadline on December 13th to certify the electoral votes.

Texas rogue elector Suprun is facing the threat of being replaced by his state as per regulation and law that electors MUST vote according to the popular vote. This would mean that he will either be replaced, or be fined 1,000 dollars for deviating.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-12-08 19:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone ever talked to someone for a long time then find out on Facebook that they're a 9/11 truther and you start to wonder if you've ever truly known anyone in your life? It's weird.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-12-08 20:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Let me know when Hillary is President then I'll care !
By fonewear 2016-12-08 20:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Or Bill for that matter !
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-12-08 22:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Has anyone ever talked to someone for a long time then find out on Facebook that they're a 9/11 truther and you start to wonder if you've ever truly known anyone in your life? It's weird.
Wait till they bring up "the Illuminati". I mean I can deal with "institutional racism" and all that ***about white privilege, but once they cross the line, there's no turning back.

The struggle is real.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-12-09 00:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The All-Seeing Eye can't melt steel beams, Karen.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-09 07:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

There are just some folks that go too far, which is why most of us are in agreement that no matter how wildly we disagree, people like LG are problematic and borderline unsafe.

Moon landing hoaxers, Sandy Hook and 9/11 truthers, Vaccination/autism nutjobs...

Look, we all suffer from confirmation bias at times. Every one of us.

But for people like this it's off the charts.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-09 08:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

There are just some folks that go too far, which is why most of us are in agreement that no matter how wildly we disagree, people like LG are problematic and borderline unsafe.

Moon landing hoaxers, Sandy Hook and 9/11 truthers, Vaccination/autism nutjobs...

Look, we all suffer from confirmation bias at times. Every one of us.

But for people like this it's off the charts.
That's why you can't debate with them.

So, instead, just do this and moveon.org

By Ramyrez 2016-12-09 08:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why you can't debate with them.

So, instead, just do this and moveon.org

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-09 08:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

..not yet

*gets hired in Ramy's office*
By eliroo 2016-12-09 08:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Trump apparently attack the Steelworkers Union leader after he called him out: https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/12/08/im-the-union-leader-donald-trump-attacked-im-tired-of-being-lied-to-about-our-jobs/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.b1e72942e3f8
By Ramyrez 2016-12-09 09:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Despite understanding why he got elected, I still can't stomach that people actually like Donald Trump.

I can see (not agree with, but understand) the "anyone but Hillary" thing, or wanting to be represented and feeling Hillary nor anyone else did that as well as DT.

But...DONALD TRUMP. Jesus. The Manbaby of the Century. Thin-skinned, bullying, womanizing, orange-skinned, flabby-jowl, *** awful hairpiece, celebrity, conflict-of-interest, caricature-of-everything-wrong-with-rich-people-and-celebs-all-in-one Donald Trump.

I reiterate what I said when his campaign began being taken seriously. It's like voting for the cast of Jersey Shore or one of the Kardashians into office. Forget politics. Forget economics.

It's an existential embarrassment to humanity that this man is now, barring anything truly insane, going to be the most powerful individual in the world.
By Ramyrez 2016-12-09 09:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

So pass the *** whisky because there's no telling the depths of human depravity we're about to see on a global stage.
First Page 2 3 ... 40 41 42 ... 46 47 48